Once Upon a Time

Lavender Symphony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Action, Childhood AU

 

Once upon a time she might have been afraid. It took a fraction of a second for her to catch on to the very faint sound of metallic click, another fraction of a second to process what would likely happen.

There was no time for fear. Instincts took over. Her body reacted.

There was an advantage in being smaller-sized. She was swifter and she had less surface area for targeting. Her assailant was making desperate shots as she crouched low and ran to take cover behind the nearest pillar. Seizing her gun and releasing the safety catch, it was her turn to be on the offense.

Wendy took a moment to gauge where her assailant was positioned at since she ran without even taking a glance. She would not consider this to be a mistake on her part as the primary goal was to survive as her mentor often taught her. Then, things came to her with unnatural clarity, as she pictured the entire set-up from the angle of the shots, the position she was at and how close the assailant was to her. From her experience, she could detect the presence of people from several hundred meters away and be alerted of any malicious intent once they were within a radius of twenty to thirty meters.

In an empty carpark like this, any sounds would have been amplified and she distinctly made out sets of three gunshots as she was escaping. The assailant had set his gun to bursts of threes and Wendy would do the same on her Glock 18.

There was no room for error. The moment she reappeared from behind the pillar and fired, it would have to count. And it did… not. The three burst shots from Wendy’s gun did make a bloody trail along the assailant’s chest however the truly fatal shot was the one that was to his head. There was no doubt that he was dead with the contents of his skull spilled across the concrete ground.

‘The body is a larger area for targeting but head shots are always the surest method.’

Wendy could hear her mentor telling her… and her. The other her who had made the fatal shot had a faint smile on her face as she walked towards Wendy. Her weapon was already kept away. The smile on her face became more prominent. A smile which had the ability to make Wendy smile as well. But not at this moment.

“Irene, why are you here?” Wendy asked, unable to keep the dissatisfaction out of her face.

“Because BoA said you would be here. Doing things your own way, again,” Irene replied coolly.

Of course, BoA, their mentor, would make accurate predictions or rather, intelligent anticipations as she often liked to put it. Irene and Wendy had been taken in by BoA after their attempt to escape from the orphanage.

Once upon a time, Wendy had been the target of bully for reasons unknown. Granted, she had been a soft child, very small sized, and not particularly adorable but she never knew what had caused her to be targeted. Wendy later learnt that this was just the nature of bullying. The kids did not have to have a real reason to bully her, they just disliked her, and it was simply that. Wendy was tired of running away and always having to hide from the other kids but she was resigned to her fate.

One day, a very beautiful child by the name of Irene came to live at the orphanage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter