Remembrance

Lavender Symphony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy ran as fast as her legs could take her. She could not remember how she had gotten herself in this situation. Her grip around the wrist of the girl, whose name was Irene, never loosening. Neither could Wendy remember how she had gotten acquainted with Irene. All she knew was that right at this moment, there was a horde of demonic-looking beasts who were after them, for god-knows-what-reason. Whatever it was, Wendy would just focus on this single task at hand, to get away from these unsightly creatures and at the same time make sure Irene was safe.  

A part of her worried that Irene could not keep up with her speed, but that worry was tossed aside as she suddenly felt Irene’s hand wrapped around her wrist instead. In one swift motion, Wendy felt herself lifted off the ground and found herself in the arms of Irene.

This was impossible, how could a girl with such a small build have such incredible strength.

“Hold on tight, human. About time we get serious about shaking those creatures off else they will take us lightly.”

Before Wendy could utter a word, she felt them pick up speed, travelling at an inhumanly pace. A scream was lodged in and Wendy felt her heart about to burst from the thrill. Soon, their surroundings became a blur. The growls and curses behind them grew more distant. Or perhaps it was because Wendy’s senses for anything other than this being called Irene had been dulled. Her sight seemed to not take in anything else beside the feline characteristics of Irene’s face; of her slightly canted eyes, small chin, and her intoxicating half-grin.

“Human, don’t look at me too long. Else, you can forget about returning to your world.”

“I-I am sorry.” Veering her eyes from Irene, Wendy apologised even if she could not comprehend the reasons for it.

“You don’t need to be. I should apologise for embroiling you in this instead. I believe you do not even remember how you came about to be with me by this time,” Irene continued, her beautiful voice seemed to resound in Wendy’s ears.

Wendy’s face flushed from embarrassment. “Y-Yes… I cannot remember the sequence of events.”

The grin on Irene’s face vanished and was replaced with a sombre smile. “It was about time the wine you drank took effect. Do not worry, human, I will return you to your world soon.”

“W-Why do you call me human? Do you not know that my name is Wendy?”

Even the sombre smile on Irene’s face disappeared. “I do, but I cannot speak it.”

“Why not, Irene?” Wendy asked, with unconcealed disappointment and stole a glance at Irene only to dart her gaze away immediately. She had barely caught the side of Irene’s lips quirk up and felt her heart squeezed.

“Because it is too beautiful for me to articulate it,” Irene said, and it was then that there was a quality to Irene’s voice that gave hints of her otherworldly presence.

Wendy would have noticed that this conversation was expending much of Irene’s energy and that the abyssal creatures were catching up with them if she were not so engrossed with Irene.

Something tugged in Wendy’s mind, but she could not hold on to any thought for long. Only fragments of it. Of Wendy wandering off from her friends and discovering a dilapidated-looking shrine. Of Wendy waking up to Irene’s gentle caresses and spending time on the green fields of some unknown land. Of Wendy and Irene venturing to the edges of the cliffs and shouting words of… words which she could not recall.

What were those words? Wendy wondered and panic seized her heart. Against Irene’s advice, Wendy returned her gaze to Irene and found herself unable to peel her eyes away from Irene. Irene’s eyes were beginning to glow. A soft purple hue. It was a shade that she was most familiar with. More scenes flashed before Wendy’s eyes.

Of the very first time Wendy came across Irene who was resplendent in her divinely form; with a cape of snow-white fur striped with black and shrouded in a haze of purple. Of Irene planting soft kisses on Wendy’s forehead. Of Wendy returning the same action. Of Wendy sighting Irene with ruined bodies piled up before her and her snow-white fur soiled with crimson splotc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter