♡ Mosaic

Fated Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Merry Xmas, everyone. I hope you will like this little present.

--->> 9 months after Kyungsoo’s death <<---

Chanyeol tightened his grip on Baekhyun’s hand, pulling the other up the road. Both exhausted, hungry, and thirsty, but Baekhyun was especially mad. For some unknown reason, Chanyeol had insisted on climbing to the top of this dammed mountain. Now they both have been lost for half of the day and the sun is setting. They have drunken their last drop of water hours ago, and no single soul was in sight.

The thought of spending the night in the wood scared Baekhyun, and his legs shook even more. Just then, they saw an abandoned church. Right next to it was a gravestone that looked as old and as abandoned as the church. A cold chill ran through Baekhyun’s neck. Who would build a church in the middle of nowhere? And who would bury a person here? Baekhyun hesitated to follow Chanyeol who was nothing but glad to find a place to stay over the night. Baekhyun grabbed on Chanyeol’s sleeves, holding back his husband.

“Are you sure about going in there? This place is so odd.”

“It’s old, but it’s better than sleeping outside.” Chanyeol misheard odd for old.

“To be honest, I’d rather sleep outside. This place looks like it is…”

“…haunted,” Baekhyun whispered the last part.

“Baekhyun, don’t be silly.”

Whined and against his own will, Baekhyun followed Chanyeol inside.

The air smelled like old wood and dust. The sun was setting low. The last sunlight shined through the broken glass window, making the last fractals left on the window appear as colourful patterns on the ground. It was magical how all the fear disappeared. Instead, Baekhyun felt peace.

Looked at Chanyeol, Baekhyun realised the other was already staring at him. Their eyes immediately locked, and their breathes synchronized. This moment was so perfect, and nothing could make it more beautiful… except for Chanyeol who took Baekhyun’s hand and went down on one knee.

“This was not how I planned it to be,” the taller one said and Baekhyun could feel his heart racing, “I wanted to do it in the sunset and on the top of the mountain. I wanted to tell you how much I love you and how thankful I am to you. I wanted this moment to be perfect because I know you deserved nothing less. I’ve checked the weather, the wind direction, the exact time of sunset. I thought I could or I should control all that, but maybe I was wrong. You come to my life was unplanned. Us falling in love was unplanned. And yet, that was the best thing that could happen to me… So…” Chanyeol took a deep breath.

“Byun Baekhyun, would you stay by my side until the day we die? Would you marry me?”

“Are you kidding me?” Baekhyun stuttered, trying to hold his tears.

“I’m not a believer, but even I wouldn’t lie in a church.” Chanyeol was dead serious.

“You cheesy stupid nerd, we’re already married.”

“That doesn’t count. That time you didn’t even say your real name.”

“Park Chanyeol, I don’t know what to do.” Baekhyun wiped away his tears.

“You can give me an answer because my knee starts hurting here.” Chanyeol joked and a smile brightened up Baekhyun’s face.

“Yes,” Baekhyun exclaimed, pulling up his giant.

“Yes, I will marry you.” He repeated before their lips locked.

______________________

--->> Three years later… Somewhere in Italy <<---

He knew it was coming. Still, Baekhyun jumped as the cork shot into the air with a loud bang. Chanyeol let out a quiet chuckle, only to earn a hard punch on his upper arm.

“Don’t laugh at me,” Baekhyun pouted, and Chanyeol apologized, still having a smile on his face.

Chanyeol poured the champagne into a glass and handed it to Baekhyun, before pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

“Congratulations on your graduation and on the job offers. Those companies recognize a genius designer when they see one.” Chanyeol said, raising the glass for a cheer.

“Thank you,” replied Baekhyun, and they both took a sip of their drinks.

“I’m so glad you’re no longer a student,” Chanyeol told his lover, “now I can openly hold your hand and openly kiss you on the campus.”

“What are you talking about?” Baekhyun tilted his head.

“You were never my professor. We weren’t even in the same faculty,” he added.

“Yeah, but I didn’t want the other students to think badly of you for being in a relationship with a professor.” Chanyeol patted the back of his head shyly.

“First of all, Professor Doctor Park Chanyeol,” Baekhyun teased the taller, knowing Chanyeol hated it when people called him by his full title, “we are not ‘in a relationship’. We’ve been married for almost two years already. Actually, we even got married twice. Get that in your head, you dummy.”

Chanyeol laughed at his husband’s faked anger. The memories of their wedding overwhelmed his mind with joy. Their “real” wedding took place at the beach in the Maldives where they had their first date. It was a private and small ceremony with no one else but their closest friends and family members. Baekhyun had tears in his eyes as the pastor called him by his real name and announced them to be married. Chanyeol still remembered how his hands were shaking as he kissed Baekhyun at sunset. He was so afraid it could be just a dream for he still couldn’t believe how lucky he was to have that person by his side forever, as long as they both shall live.

“Second, are you telling me you’re having naughty professor-student fantasies about us?” Baekhyun smirked.

“You’ve got me there,” winked Chanyeol.

“Well, officially I’m still a student until midnight. We still got a few hours,” Baekhyun said, slowly approached Chanyeol. The smirk remained on his lips. “Shall we fulfill your fantasy?”

“Professor~,” Chanyeol’s burned up as Baekhyun leaned over, whispering in his ear with the most seductive voice. Closed his eyes, Chanyeol breathed in until his lungs were filled with nothing else but Baekhyun’s sweet scent.

Just as they were about to lock their lips, both phones wouldn’t stop vibrating. Growled, they grabbed their phones, and at the same moment, they both gasped. Whatever was on the screens, it got their attention for minutes until their eyes left the displays. Staring at each other, they searched for confirmation by the other.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun stuttered, “did you get the same Google alert?”

“I…,” even Chanyeol was speechless for a moment. Synchronized, they rushed to the living room, turning on the television. As they switched to the Korean TV, the reporter was already talking about the breaking news.

“…Prepared by the biggest and longest undercover operation in the history of the police departments, a racier this huge has never happened. On the same day and almost at the same time, the police took down two of the biggest criminal syndicates in several cities.

Byun Sooman, the new Black Lotus’ leader was injured during the fire exchange, but he was arrested alive. Three years ago, Sooman ordered the murder of the former leader who also was his brother and took over the syndicate. He was also suspected of murdering his nephew, Byun Baekhyun, who was found dead in the Han River.

The coordination of the operation was taken by Minister Park himself despite his presidential candidacy. After this success, there is no doubt, he is going to be the most promised candidate for this election.

According to the police department, the police worked with several informants from both syndicates. Especially, one of them was a high ranked member of the gang. It is unclear when the trial will take place, but there is no doubt this is going to be the biggest trial of the year.”

The reporter announced, and both men held their breaths.

“Is it really over?” Chanyeol asked.

“Is it?” Baekhyun repeated, only to answer the question the next second.

“It is over, Chanyeol,” he exclaimed, “it’s over.”

“I can’t believe it’s over,” Chanyeol said with joy.

After a second of silence, Baekhyun replied, heading back to the kitchen, as Chanyeol followed him.

“I need another drink,” Baekhyun said.

“Me too. Can I have one?” Chanyeol asked, and Baekhyun widened his eyes.

“Champagne?” He asked in disbelief. As Chanyeol nodded, he frowned even more.

“But you don’t drink,” Baekhyun stated, “I mean… I’m confused.”

Shyly, Chanyeol chuckled. “I do now,” he responded.

“What’s going on?” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. “When we first met, you did drink. Then suddenly you stopped and now out of nowhere you drink again?”

“Why?” Baekhyun asked, placing his fingers on his chin like he was a detective.

“Do you remember our first date?” Chanyeol asked. Immediately, a smirk appeared on Baekhyun’s face.

“Of course, I do. I remember our first night too,” winked Baekhyun.

“Well, I don’t,” Chanyeol admitted.

“Yeah, I remember that too,” Baekhyun’s voice changed as the memories came to his mind. Baekhyun crossed his arms, looking like he was about to scold Chanyeol again.

“Yeah,” Chanyeol faked a smile, “and that’s the reason.”

“I don’t get it,” Baekhyun shook his head.

“Well, we had - as you said - a “wonderful first night”, but I couldn’t remember because I was drunk.”

“Chanyeol, you’re not telling me you haven’t drunk the whole time because you’re afraid of another hangover?” Baekhyun’s smile faded right away as he noticed Chanyeol’s seriousness.

“Really?” Baekhyun asked in disbelief.

“I knew you could disappear anytime” Chanyeol confessed. A wave of old guilt hit Baekhyun once again. Every time he thought about Chanyeol knowing his true identity the whole time, he couldn’t help but feel bad.

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun sighed. No matter how often Chanyeol had told him not to apologize, his mind hadn’t learned yet.

“I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant… I knew our time could be limited, so I wasn’t missing a second of it by being drunk… You know, just in case.”

“Just in case I’d leave you?” Baekhyun questioned. Tears welled up in his eyes.

“Baekhyun, you’re not going to cry, are you?” Chanyeol asked, only to earn a punch in his belly.

“Do you expect me not to cry after saying something cheesy like that?” Baekhyun yelled, wiping away his tears while Chanyeol pulled him in for a tight embrace.

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol whispered, leaning his head against Baekhyun’s.

“But it’s all over now. We’re free. And you’re staying by my side, right? Forever, right?” He added.

“Drink your champagne,” replied Baekhyun as he lifted his head, looking at the man in front of him.

“Is that a yes? I’ll take that as a yes,” Chanyeol smiled. This was the ending he had prayed for.

______________________

--->> Korea. Three years ago. Two days before Kyungsoo’s death. <<---

“Are you crazy? No one survives a fall from that height,” Kris disagreed.

“Wouldn’t the water reduce the impact? They do that a lot in movies,” Xiumin asked, putting down his energy drink.

“Those movies are wrong. Kris is right, the water would be hard like concrete when you fall from that height.” Chanyeol replied.

“How about a parachute?” Lay suggested.

“No, the fall would take too much time. It’s impossible to hold Jongin back for so long.” Suho objected. The older sighed. They have been discussing an escape plan for almost two hours and he was losing his patience.

“We can use a small explosive charge,” Kris said casually like it were a daily suggestion. As everyone looked at him puzzled, he started explaining.

“Just a small explosion to move the water. It’ll feel like pudding when he falls into it. We just need to time the explosion very well. If it’s too early, it won’t work. If it’s too late,…”

“…he’ll be pudding.” Kris finished the sentence after a short pause as if he wanted to be dramatic, not knowing the real drama was still to come.

“What’s going on?” The door flung open and Baekhyun entered Chanyeol’s laboratory.

“Are you guys talking about Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. His hands clenched.

“Why did you leave me out? And is that your plan to save him?” Baekhyun yelled the word “save” with sarcasm.

“We wanted to tell you once we figured out a plan. Sorry?” Suho tried to calm Baekhyun down, unsuccessfully.

“Is that what you called a plan? Blow a bomb under his feet?”

“I know it sounds dangerous, but…”

“It sounds dangerous because it is,” Baekhyun screamed the last part so loud, even Chanyeol startled for a second. He had never seen Baekhyun being so mad before.

“As I said, it’s safe if we got the right timing. It’s basically just a math problem.” Kris argued.

“Yeah, just a math problem that’s gonna get my brother killed if we get the wrong answer. Do you want to do it? Do you want to do the calculation?”

Kris silenced, so did the others until the silence became unbearable.

“I’ll do it,” Chanyeol suggested.

“Chanyeol… you’re not.”

“There is no other way.”

“I don’t care,” Baekhyun shook his head and took a step back, “We’ll figure out something else. You’re all elite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter