Just a little longer

Fated Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol had to admit that he was a little overwhelmed. Baekhyun's suggestion to run a test as a couple surprised him. He didn't think that the other boy would react so enthusiastically. But he was glad about it. Still, it wasn't easy to plan a first date within a few hours. In the end, he decided on a simple program; dinner, wine and a walk along the beach. On recommendations of the hotel manager, he reserved a table at a known restaurant. Now he had to "pick up" his date. Shortly after he knocked, Baekhyun opened the door with a smile.

"Hi, are you ready? Oh uhm you look great."

"Thanks, you too," Baekhyun replied.

Together, they left the beach house and took a boat to a neighboring island. The drive wasn't long, but long enough to make the lack of talking unbearable. After each attempt to start a conversation, the awkward silence haunted them.

"Are you hungry already?"

"Yes."

...

"The shopping tour today was funny, right?"

"Yeah."

...

"Where are we going to eat?"

"It’s a surprise."

...

After taking the boat, they went about 5 minutes on foot. As they stepped on a wooden walkway over the ocean, it felt like they were walking on the water. The path led to a small bungalow. Baekhyun thought they were going to eat there, but inside there was just a white couch and a small table with a flower vase on it. A young woman was standing in the middle of the room. She was wearing a violet uniform and Baekhyun immediately identified her as an employee. The woman greeted them warmly and asked them to follow her. They went down a long stairway until they reached a blue door. Baekhyun could imagine what was behind it. Yet he couldn't deny that the secretiveness made it more exciting. The staff member opened the door for them and Baekhyun couldn't wait to take a step forward.

He had guessed correctly. It was a classy restaurant inside of the ocean. Its walls and roof were made of thick glass, which offered a clear underwater panorama. On the one hand, Baekhyun felt like he was a part of the enormous ocean. It was funny how one's own problems suddenly seemed so small and insignificant. On the other hand, the glass gave the impression that he was in a giant aquarium. How ironic, he was also caught in a dilemma. Either way, he was stuck in a marriage with a stranger.

"Chanyeol, it's incredible, so unique," Baekhyun said, as they were led to their tables. The room was small compared to an ordinary restaurant, but all the tables were occupied – except for theirs. Unsurprisingly, all the guests seemed to be couples, since the ambiance was phenomenally romantic.

"I'm glad you like it. I couldn't reserve the other tables at the last minute. Otherwise, we would have a little more privacy," Chanyeol said.

"That wasn't necessary. I think it's better this way." Baekhyun hadn't lied. He only had to imagine how they were sitting alone, saying nothing to each other. Without the noises the other guests, they would just hear the music in the background. That would even be more embarrassing than the boat ride.

"I'm sorry you had to do all the planning by yourself. I was suddenly so tired after going shopping. It must be jet lag," Baekhyun added.

"No problem, don't worry."

...

"So..."

"Yes?"

"Um ..." Chanyeol stewed over something to say. He had been introverted even as a child. Growing up hadn't caused any major change. Therefore, he could never follow in his father's footsteps. After his graduation, his father finally had to accept that his son would never want to be in the public eye. It was a huge disappointment for him. He had never literally said that to Chanyeol, but he couldn't hide it from the boy either. Chanyeol had always been very perceptive. Actually, he had only agreed to this marriage to make it up to his father in some way.

"Chanyeol, it's awkward," Baekhyun said honestly.

"You're right. I don't know what's going on."

"Until this morning we could talk normally, couldn't we?"

"Maybe we're just confused because the situation is unusual."

"I think you're right. Well then, let's restart. Have you ever been on a blind date?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes, a few times."

"Ok, then I'm going to the toilet. And when I come back, we meet for the first time. No wedding and no honeymoon. How does that sound?" Baekhyun offered.

"Count me in."<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter