Chapter seven

And all because of an ugly uniform

The infirmary looked just like a normal class, only there were a couple of cots, a lot of white cabinets and a really cute nurse. She couldn’t be older than thirty, a full beaming smile paired with shining dark blue eyes and strawberry blond hair.

Now she knows why Yuri was always here, it was not a bad sight.

Miss Spencer, that was the name on the target, made her sit on a cot, still smiling widely at her. “What happened to your face? Did you get in a fight?” The sweetly worried tone made her smile.

“Well, you should’ve seen the other guy.” Sunny snorted while sitting on a chair next to her. But the nurse chuckled and went to retrieve what she needed. She came back with some disinfectant and some gauze.

“It’s going to sting a bit okay?” Taeyeon nodded and braced herself.

She took the treatment like a champ, not even a sound.

“Your friend is really strong look at that, good job.” She smirked and blushed deeply, happy with the compliment, glancing at Sunny she saw her roll her eyes.

“Sure, so nothing is broke? All alright?” She sounded bored but there was a hint of corner, too.

“It’s all okay, you put some ice on it and in a few days even the swell will go away. For the lip I recommend some ointment, I think I have it into the storage. Be right back girls.”

She didn’t give her anything for the pain but her mom could, eventually, so it was okay.

The other girl was shaking her head softly, her face in her palm. “You look like lovesick teenager, you know?”

Taeyeon realized she had still silly grin stuck on her face, she shut it in a thin line. “Technically I am still a teenager.” She smirked satisfied with her remark. Sunny snorted again but remained silent.

“Alright, seeing you are okay and in a whole piece I’ll get going, leave you some alone time with your milf crush.” She stood and throw her a teasing grin, it didn’t reach her pretty eyes.

Taeyeon watched her go, a strange lump in , like she already missed her presence. “You are not very professional chaperon you know? I took a punch for you.” She meant it like some sort of teasing but the result was almost sincere and sad.

The other re her steps glaring at her. “Which you didn’t need to, probably I would’ve taken that punch better then you!”

Now was Taeyeon turn to scoff. “I don’t think so, your face looks like it’s made of marshmallows.” The girl looked taken back with the comparison, puffing her already chubby cheeks.

“What exactly are you trying to say? Miss I look like a five, angry slash emo, years old.”

Taeyeon registered the insult and found it so much representative of herself that she wanted to write it down. But now she has a different mission.

Disregarding the potential danger she reached with a fast hand and pocked a chubby cheek. It was as soft as she pictured it in her mind, she found herself grinning dorkly. “See fluffy as a marshmallow!” She retracted her finger before the other girl could smack it.

“You are such a dorky idiot. You do that again and I will break your finger in half.” The tone was really treating but glancing at the chubby finger that was pointed at her, she couldn’t stop herself.

“Yeah, I am really afraid of those tiny hands! Oh my God I am trembling!” She pretended to tremble with her hands and put the most frighten expression she could master.

Sunny scowled and suddenly her angry face was merely few inches far from hers. Her chocolate eyes were dark and stared at her in wrath. Taeyeon felt her breath on her broken lips and the world stopped gyrating, she could count the eyelashes on her lids and she couldn’t seem to move a single muscle.

“I swear the moment that lip is healed I am going to punch you so hard you’ll see stars.” Taeyeon gulped hard, her hands twitched to reach and touch, she wanted to cup her face and feel how smooth her skin was. The threat made her be still, there, sitting on the cot with Sunny almost leaning on her legs and a breath away.

But she couldn’t lose, could she?

“Okay, but only if you’ll kiss me better after.” She didn’t know where she found the courage to say that, but she didn’t regret it. The shorter girl gasped and pushed her further on the cot, putting some air between them, Taeyeon couldn’t stop grinning like an fool.

Sunny’s face was all red like a mature tomato and it was extremely cute. She felt her heart grow at least two sizes. Not even a hard slap on her arm decreased her dork grin.

“Not even in your wildest dream Kim!” Almost screaming it she power walked out of the infirmary.

Just then the nurse came back with the ointment, but Taeyeon was too worried looking at the door to watch her properly, she just grabbed the pomade and thanked the lady with a flash smile. Miss Spencer looked at her surprised, blinking her pretty long eyelashes and forming a perfect oval. Tae ignored her.

She started to run toward the girl, her flustered face firm in her mind, her lip still hurting and swelling. She forgot to ask one important piece of information.

“Hey wait for me! Wait a moment!” A flashback from a few days before flashed through her eyes, when she deliberately smashed the other girl on a locker and got detention, god it seemed ages ago.

Sunny actually slowed her steps but didn’t look back, waiting for her to catch up.

“You sure walk fast for having such short legs.” Taeyeon was a bit out of breath, not necessarily good for a want to be singer, but she could work on it. The President glared at her and hinted for her own legs, not much longer. She smiled and bumped her shoulder, still giddy for no reason at all.

“I forgot to ask why Oliver attacked you like that, you know before I arrived on my white horse to save etcetera etcetera…” Sunny shacked her head in disbelieve, staring at her broken lip, listing with her eyes all of her failures.

“Ok, I don’t think you’ll be capable of riding an horse. Anyway he, well, he hated that now every girl avoid him like he is a plague. He’s really smart brain thought that was my fault, so he grabbed to call me a . That’s the summary.” She was talking while looking at the ground beaten her feet, her tone was calm and collected but Taeyeon saw her hands twitching.

Tempted to take one in hers she remembered the reaction at her kitchen table and restrained herself.

“He deserved the kick in the balls, but I think I should learn to throw punches, now I have the urge to return the favor.” She indicated at her face, trying to defuse the situation, even if her hands were really quivering.

Sunny smiled briefly, showing the pearly white teeth just for a second, that was enough for now.

It was some sort of her pride knowing how to make people smile, well not anyone, the ones she cared for and inexplicably the girl was slowly but surely reaching for that category.

“Please no, you’ll break all your knuckles and maybe he won’t even feel you.” She giggled a bit, sarcastically, watching her with a convinced expression.

Taeyeon scoffed proudly and crossed her arms. “You have really no fate in me, little bunny.” The nickname just escaped her control and she glanced at the girl, to catch a reaction. Sunny blinked and blushed.

“I already told you to not call me that, I am not a rabbit!” Then her nose crinkled, her eyes big in disappointment.

“I am sorry, but that’s exactly what you look like right now, a cute angry bunny.” She flashed her most dorky and big grin, hoping to placate the anger.

Surprising her, Sunny didn’t escalate in a full wrath mode but instead she watched her for a long moment, her stare unmoving and searching something on her still grinning face. Her cheeks hurt from all the work she put on them, and probably from the blow received before.

“I don’t care, don’t call me like that.” A fast hand come near her forehead to flick her.

Taeyeon closed her eyes from the surprising pain and Sunny walked out of the school fast, reaching her luxury car and fancy driver. Tae blinked a few times at the door, still touching and caressing her forehead, that girl was really violent.

How can she change her attitude so fast?

After her mom covered her in all the ice she could find in the house, gave her some painkillers, put the ointment on her lip and lectured her about getting on a fight she could finally lie on her soft bed.

The painkillers were making her dizzy but the events of the day kept scrolling on her brain on a loop, the lunch, the punch, Sunny’s red tomato face and the strange expression at the end, the calm and searching one, a mystery.

Yuri already called her, making sure she was alright and still complementing her, as if she had won a wrestling match. Jessica told her repeatedly what an impulsive idiot she was in the group chat. Taeyeon kept chuckling, high on the drugs, just thinking of her angry and scrunched face while she was typing furiously on the phone.

Her bed was comfy, the pain was decreasing and the drugs were making her tired and sleepy. She fell asleep thinking at some lyrics for a new song. Nothing worthy of writing, just some sickly sweet lines she would never ever put in one of her songs, she cringed in her sleep.

She dreamed of Sunny riding a black shiny horse with her uniform on, a big gummy smile plastered on a slightly sweaty face, shining under the rays of the Sun, her hair loose captured by a gentle breeze. The backround was a boundless prairie, the sky a clear and light blu, her eyes were sparkling, it was so beautiful that she wanted to paint it. Then she found out that the girl was laughing at her, who had just fallen from her white horse. Taeyeon was with her on the ground growling from the pain, her legs trembling from the impact, her pride bruised and agonizing.

She woke up with a tachycardia.

That girl was ruining even her drug inducted dreams.