Chapter four

And all because of an ugly uniform

Taeyeon had still engraved in her mind the shattered faces of her friends when she came back, they were watching her as if she was a little bird on the verge of dying. Yuri patted her shoulders looking as if she was about to cry. Jessica had this guilty look on her face, kept biting her nails.

But she apologized first, they were just worried about her future, she reacted badly and that was it.

Then Yuri tighten her grip on her shoulder staring right into her eyes. “Don’t you dare to apologize to us for something like this, do you hear me? But we are sorry, we didn’t mean to upset you ok?” She felt her eyes begin to water again, they really loved her. She just found the strength to nod, smile and add:” So, are we still going to that party?”

Jessica nodded while she was crying and laughing, a mix of both. Yul squeezed her and brought the both of them in a hug.

 

It was Friday, her lyrics were nowhere to be finished, or even started and Taeyeon was choosing what to wear to the party. Her blond hair was still wet and she was trembling in the blue bathrobe.

Jessica specifically told her to not wear the same jeans and t-shirt she wore for school. It was not strange finding that her wardrobe was just that, jeans and nerdy t-shirts. Maybe she should’ve gone shopping, but she hated going shopping.

Finally she found some fancy jeans, skintight ones and a black long-sleeved shirt. Well she looked presentable. Then she straightens her hair and add a touch of color on her face, so she wouldn’t look like a zombie.

And she was late, of course.

Parking her grey city car in front of the house of the party she shallowed hard, took a deep breath, pictured Sunny’s grin and disappearing eyes for a second, fixed it in her mind on a loop, then opened the door and got out.

Yuri and Jessica were waiting for her at the door chatting animatedly. Yuri had a tight-fitting top showing the toned arms and a lose jeans, but she looked good with everything. Jessica wore a red adherent sweater with a white skirt, a bright smile and hair in messy waves.

She saw her fashionista friend examining her from head to toe, make a doubtful face, tilt her head multiples time then give a little nod. “Not bad?” She asked smirking. “Not bad.” Her friend granted her.

“You look good Tae, late, but good.” Yuri took her by the shoulders and they entered the party.

It was exactly as she pictured, bad alcohol, bad music and couples each other faces. She faked a smile and waved a few people then went straight to the alcohol section. Of course she was a responsible person and decided from one cup of cheap beer. She had already lost Yul and Jess but she was calm, trying to get into the atmosphere, sipping her drink and looking around. There were, in fact, a lot of cheerleaders, her friends didn’t lie. There were people who danced really bad and people who embraced the music, then there were the already drunk ones. She waved a few other people, it wasn’t that bad.

“Hi!”

She jumped in the air, felt the soul leave her body. “Why do you keep scaring me?” Sunny shrugged and sipped from her cup.

Then there she was, long wavy hair and bangs still in place, a yellow top and a high waist denim skirt, with buttons on it, a lot of buttons. Her eyes lingered few instants on the bit of her chest that was visible and then immediately averted her glance, a blush already forming on her cheeks.

“So you came eh?” Oh my God what a stupid thing to say. “Yeah well Fany made me and I lost her like a hour ago.” She rolled her eyes to the ceiling and snorted. “Anyway can I stay here?” Sunny glanced at her with those sparkling eyes, her make up was light but it made them stand out. She gulped.

“Sure, it is a free country, but why? Something happened?” Her face tensed a bit and she huffed leaning on the kitchen table. “A guy from the football team, Oliver, you know the Australian tall blond one?” Taeyeon had no idea so she shrugged and signaled her to keep going. “Well, this guy is trying to get into my pants, really obvious too. He invited me to go upstairs with him to, and I quote, talk more comfortably.” She gave her a explicit look and sipped from her drink.

“And you don’t want to?” The other girl glared at her with incredulity then she hit her on the head. “No! Are you stupid?” Taeyeon massaged her head and grimaced, maybe she was stupid.

“You are one violent little girl!” The girl glared at her again.

“We are almost the same height! And I am actually taller now because I have heels on!” She didn’t want to but her eyes went immediately there, scanning from the tiny feet in those white high sandals, she progress on the bare legs that were tense because of the heels, she had a weak spot for legs, and those were beautiful legs. Her cheeks were burning, again.

She looked at the cup in the girl's hand and a fast forward film of her mom’s warnings flashed before her eyes. “Did he, hmm Oliver, gave that to you, yes the drink?” Sunny nodded slightly. So she took the cup from her hands and looked inside. “It is almost empty!” The other girl looked at her as if she had a grown a second head. “Oh, come on, it could be drugged! drugs, never heard of them? Maybe he was trying to bring you upstairs then you would fell asleep and… you know.”

Sunny glanced at her and then at the cup, her eyes widened and she put a now trembling hand on . She tensed and started to search the visible part of the living room from her spot. “He is watching me!” Goddamn it was true, a tall blond boy was staring at her from the living room, a creepy shadow in his blue eyes.

“See that’s really creepy, not me!” The now taller girl squeezed her eyes in question. “Nothing let it go, anyway yeah he is really looking at you. You know my mom is a nurse, she told me to never take an open drink from a guy, you never know. She sees a lot of those… situations.”

Now Sunny was worried, busy trying to figure it out if she was drugged, her hands were shaking a bit and with the courage she didn’t know she possessed she toke one and squeezed it. It felt soft and warm, her heart was beating like crazy. “It’s ok I will watch over you, no one will bring you upstairs ok?” Their eyes met and she smiled trying to be encouraging.

“Alright then, my knight in… denim armor? Watch over me with attention ok?” Taeyeon nodded furiously then let her hand go. “I will not take my eyes off of you!” It sounded so cheesy that she cringed immediately and facepalmed herself, screaming in her palm. Sunny was laughing her heart out patting her shoulder in sympathy. “How romantic.” She growled low in and blushed until the tips of her ears.

“Hey Tae! Enjoying yourself? Soo and I come for the refill.” Yuri was already half drunk, Sooyoung wasn’t drinking, she was drinking juice and her big eyes were lucid and observing. “And finally we can meet tiny one.” Sunny glared at her with passion.

“Or yeah, Sunny this is Yuri, and well the light pole is Sooyoung.” The taller girl hit her in the head. She was losing a lot of brains cells tonight.

“Shut up, Hobbit. Hi, I am Sooyoung, co-captain of the softball team and why I never saw you at school?” The flirty tone made Taeyeon almost puke and roll her eyes. But Sunny smiled and shacked hands with her.

“Hi, maybe we don’t associate with the same people. You know, maybe you don’t like Hobbits like the two of us.” She was still smiling but it was a snarky one, all teeth and full teasing eyes. Taeyeon almost chocked on he beer at the surprised face of Soo.

She saw the exact moment when Sooyoung glanced low, seeing the very high sandals and then coming back up with a “I ed up” face. She chuckled in an embarrassing way.

“Me and Taeyeon are friends, I like her! It’s like a pet name! Right Tae?” Tae raised an unsure eyebrow, fought between teasing her or admit the truth. “Oh, I wouldn’t know, I may be taking it as insult.” When the co-captain widens her round eyes, she lost her cool and started laughing like a mad woman. “Oh my God your face!” Sooyoung huffed and crossed her arms, glaring at her.

Yuri was kept her cool, trying no not laugh while refilling their beverages.

“Anyway she is the Student Council President, flagpole, and quite the violent one, I’d handle this with caution if I were you.” Taeyeon just couldn’t contain herself, irony being her only weapon in this cruel world. Yuri looked at her in disbelieve and almost facepalmed herself. She saw with her side view Sunny poking her cheek with the tongue.

“Sound just like my type.” Sooyoung said then winked.

Taeyeon started to count the brain cells she had left, group them in one place and then started to scream at them. Yul looked as if she was ready to kick her in the spot. Why she couldn't just shup the . Well it was not like she had crush, right? No she was good, all alright, Sooyoung could flirt how much she wanted.

Sunny took a new cup an opened a new beer, then drink half of it in one gulp. The three of them watched with astonished eyes.

Soo blinked a few times to put away the surprised face and put on the flirty one. “So, this is party yes? Miss Student Council President come dance with me? I don’t think Tae will ask you any sooner, she is on the shy side.” And she deadass winked again.

Sunny blinked a few times, eyed Taeyeon on her right side, who was now paralyzed, and gulped the rest of the beer. “Why not.”

Tae felt the floor under her feet shift, biting her lips to blood she forced herself to gaze forward and not show any of her emotions on the outside. So she didn’t saw Sunny make a step forward just for sway and lean all of her weight on her shoulder. She caught her for miracle, her arms went immediately on her waist trying to keep her up. Sunny put all herself on Taeyeon, the little fingers grasping on the black shirt like they were claws.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay? What is it?” She tried to not let panic get to her, she pictured her mom in her head and how she would’ve acted. Breathing hard to calm herself she held the other girl tighter, not letting her slip. She felt her breath on her neck, creating goosebumps all over it.

“I don’t feel very well, sleepy.” Her voice was so soft, and slurred.

God he really drugged her.

“What’s happening? Tae is she fine? Maybe we should take her upstairs, let her lie down!” Yuri voice brought her back in the present. She shacked her head, like hell she would bring her upstairs. Looking at Sunny head nestled in her neck then to Yul and Soo, who were watching with worried eyes, arms open, ready to do anything.

She took a long gulp of air then with a clear mind she spoke:” No, look I’ll explain it later but you need to help me put her in my car. My mom is a nurse she’ll help her! Come on!"

 Yuri seemed unsure but nodded quickly. Then with some struggle, because Sunny wouldn’t just let go of her shirt, she put one of her arms on the broad shoulders. Taeyeon secured the other one on hers and they started to walk.

“It’s going to be okay, I got you, it’ all alright.” Tae was whispering lightly in Sunny’s ears but the other didn’t give signs of being lucid enough to answer. She was almost a dead weight, and she was heavy for being so tiny. The shorter girl was struggling but her grip on the waist was steady, she wasn’t going to let her fall. Sooyoung was behind them, hands ready to catch the girl, anyway.

Taeyeon was sweating like crazy but they arrived at the door, no one gave them a second look, thinking that the girl got drunk.

They were outside and attempted to do the stairs, Yuri was managing most of the weight, while Sunny head too had lost any strength and was swaying in every direction.

“Hey! What’s going on! Let go of her! What’ happening, Sunny? Sun?” Tiffany came screaming out of nowhere the puppy eyes shining in the moonlight. Taeyeon glanced at her but didn’t stop. “She can’t answer you, don’t worry alright I am trying to help.” She saw Yuri nodding at her side, but the cheerlead didn’t stop, following them with terror visible in her face.

Tae snorted out loud, she didn’t expect her night to go like that.

“I am taking her to my house, my mom’s nurse. Come with me alright?” Tiffany was first unsure but then conceded. “I have my own car. I’ll follow you! Don’t do stupid thing!” Her and Yuri huffed and got to her grey car.

With some more struggles they managed to get Sunny on the passenger seat, plucking the belt on. Her eyes were wide open but they looked lost, and she was sweating, her cheeks red and her breath erratic.

“Yul get Jessi okay? I don’t want her to be at this party anymore! Then come to my house alright?” Taeyeon instructed while adjusting at the driver seat. Yul nodded and dragged an astonished Sooyoung with her.

Adrenaline was pumping hard in her veins, fear and rage were mixed together in a hotchspotch of contrasting emotions. Her hands on the steering wheel were shaking horribly, she was fumbling with the keys, so she calmed herself, deep long breaths in and out. She couldn’t fail Sunny like this, her only objective was now to take her to her mother, then she could let the panic and the anger get to her.

She glanced at her passenger, her side face pressed on the window, the open eyes with the dilated pupils were staring nowhere, lost in the night. She grabbed a hand and squeezed it, it felt too warm and sweat.

Taeyeon twisted the keys and started the engine, there they go.