Chapter twenty-three

And all because of an ugly uniform

She was sleeping on an hard surface, her cheek protesting and her neck screaming with stiffness. When something woke her up she groaned out loud, her eyes reclosing already. “What?” Was the only thing she managed.

“Idiot, you fell asleep again, we’re in the middle of class.” Yuri’s grave voice woke her up definitely.

With blood-shoot eyes she looked around, making sure no one was watching. “Please just let me sleep, my head is killing me.”

Yuri just patted her stiff shoulders. “Why don’t you just skip and go home to sleep? Had a rough night eh?” The eyebrows raised in dirty made her huff, if only.

She pushed her friend away, rethinking of early that morning when she woke up on a soft chest, slowly going up and down under her face, fingers were going through her messed up hair, one of her arm was sprawled on a smooth tummy and her fingers were playing with the glimmer of skin of Sunny’s hips that was peeking between the shirt and the pjs bottom.

It felt perfect, almost too much, even if they slept for about four hours, because neither of them could close their eyes. Too many emotions in one days, so they stayed up whispering nonsense. It could’ve continued to be perfect, they’ve could’ve stayed all morning in bed, sleeping the stress away.

Oh but no, no, Miss-I-don’t-miss-school-President had to go to class, because she lost too many days.

“Don’t provoke me Yul, I don’t have any strength. And it’s not what you thinking, we couldn’t just fall asleep and that, God, that minion forced me to get up and get her to school.” Which she did with an idiot smile on her stupid face because Sunny could get her to do anything.

“I’ll tell her you called her that.” Taeyeon groaned again and her best friend in the world just laughed at her, wickedly.

“She exists to drive me crazy I swear. This morning she just smiled at me, with her ing half-moon eyes and I was already dressed.” Honestly, it was embarrassing.

Yuri watched her with a mix of disgust and happiness, smiling slightly. “Aw, she got you wrapped around her tiny, tiny little finger.”

She patted her shoulder again and the blond felt like screaming. “Just shut up, preserve my already low dignity.”

Their teacher kept babbling about whatever as a soundtrack and she felt like crying at the thought of the fullness of Sunny’s heartbeats under her ear, the sound round and satisfying.

The morning was surely not made for humans to be productive.

 

“So do you need me to drop you home?” Sunny jumped near the lockers, turning to watch her with an hand on her chest.

“You scared me!” The squeak made her headache only worse and Taeyeon gritted her teeth.

“I am sorry, but you should be more aware of your surroundings. I am not getting kidnapped again to save you.” That earned an eye-roll and the loud closing of locker. She gritted her teeth again.

An hand brushed against her nape. “How’s your head?” The lump was pretty much there, pulsating a bit.

“Fine, just tell me if you need a ride.” A frown appeared on the other face.

“If you want too or I can just call my dad and he’ll send someone. What it is? Why are you so cranky?”

“Why are you not? How you are still so hyper, we slept like four hours and you were locked for three days… how do you do this?” Her voice was tired even if she had barely used it.

The frown between Sunny’s eyebrows softened and the hand on the nape followed her neck until it reached to cup a pale cheek, the thumb making tiny circles on the soft skin. Before she could think of taking the wrist in her hand and kissing her palm a pair of lips pecked hers.

Taeyeon felt her ears go fuming while her eyes scanned the hallway in search of watching ones. She heard Sunny giggle. “Better now?”

Then there was a squeal and Tiffany was there, smiling so big her face was splitting it two. “You two are so cute!” And goddamn she was screaming, Taeyeon huffed feeling her neck grow fuchsia.

“Shut it Tiff.” Sunny was still caressing her cheek while glaring at her friend. “Just go home ok, I’ll call my dad.”

She wanted to nod but the only answer her body processed was a pout. “What? Why the long face now?” And she honestly didn’t know why.

Warm brown eyes were staring at her with so much care she felt like shaking, but the exhaustion gravitated on her shoulders like the weight of the world. Maybe her face was too pitiful because Sunny smiled sweetly and opened her arms. “Oh come here, you look like you are about to pass out.” And she went like she was controlled by her words.

In the background she heard Tiffany squeal again but it was all muffled, her ear pressed against a soft neck, fingers were passing in her hair and the impulse to just cry was enormous. Maybe it was weighting on her all the things that happened in this few days, and with the now low adrenaline all it came crashing down. The valley between Sunny’s neck and shoulder was a perfect valley to just crash, it smelled like home and peace and safety. Her arms were like claws around her back, holding like she was the only buoy left in the ocean.

“You don’t want to go without me, do you?” It was talked softly near her ear and she just shacked her head, nose brushing against blushing skin. “Ok, I got it.” She tasted the tears at the back of but managed to hold it, taking deep breaths, counting the numbers of time those fingers touched her hair.

“What do you think if we go home, yours or mine, whatever you want and we’ll take a long nap? Huh?” Taeyeon just nodded, tightening her hold, a whine on the tip of her tongue. “Alright then, let’s go, I don’t like History anyway.”

She whispered “me neither” into rosy skin and Sunny giggled.

“Are you sure both of you are okay?” Tiffany was looking at them with concern now, big worried eyes staring.

She just felt Sunny nod against her head. “We just need to relax for a bit. I am sorry I made you come to school today.”

“It’s okay, I’ll sleep all of it off.” The hand in her hair stopped her trail and she reemerged from her temporary hiding. The look in those eyes was even softer if that was possible.

 

“What do you want to sleep? An hoodie? I can even search for some pjs if you want.” It was adorable the way the always mysterious and dark Taeyeon just melted when it was just the two of them. It felt like a special place to occupy, a secret room in the universe where only you could sneak in.

“I think a long t-shirt of yours will do.” She watched with anticipation the blush on her cheeks appear. The blush was still there when she gave her an oversized Batman black t-shirt. “This is the comfier I got, here.” And it persisted when she started to her shirt, turning around to look at the window.

She giggled. “Like you didn’t cop a feel last night, you are ridiculous.”

“Shut up and change.” Was the grunted response.

She giggled again and changed, leaving the lavender bra in plain sight, just to get her mad. “Ok all ready.”

Taeyeon nodded and got her t-shirt and loose boxer to change into the bathroom, eyeing the bra with a frown. “You are evil, that’s what you are.” And she kept mumbling even behind the close door. “You know short people are closer to hell, so you are practically already living there. How’s Satan?”

Sunny just chuckled, already under the covers, the temperature a bit too cold for her liking. “Then you are with me hobbit, come on I am freezing.” Her toes were freezing for real.

“No, no you are way lower than me, you are his counselor I know it.” The eye-bags even more visible without the barely there make up she had put on that morning, Taeyeon seemed to swim into that very large t-shirt. It made her heart twitch in sympathy. “I am sorry but the heating doesn’t work at it’s best now, you want another blanket? I can get a thicker one even- “

“Just come here and hug me will you?” That shut her up. She was waiting with only her nose and eyes outside of the covers.

Taeyeon bowed slightly. “At your orders Ma am.” She eye-rolled.

The blonde closed the lights, only the now softening rays of sunshine lighting the place a bit, so she could see Taeyeon’s sharp features when she laid on the bed. It felt a bit like a repeat of the night before, but this time the other girl didn’t hesitate in taking her in her arms. Sunny could just smile at being engulfed into a bear hug, legs tangled, her head resting on a soft chest and tucked under Taeyeon’s chin.

She could feel kisses being spread on her hair and closed her eyes, the sleep that she avoided all morning was coming in waves. “Better now?” She cracked in a whisper that attempted to be sardonic but came out sweet.

The blonde hummed on her head, her arms never leaving their spot around the waist.

“What is it?” By now she could feel words unspoken even in an hum.

The silence lasted a bit before the other spoke. “I guess I am scared.” Raising her head she caught black eyes staring at the ceiling.

“Of what?” They were whispering in the semi darkness when her head was already half -asleep.

“I don’t know, it is just a feeling. Have you… it’s probably just me being a humane social disaster, whatever.”

Sunny caught the chin pointing to the rooftops in her hand and lowered it. “Maybe, but I want to know anyway, just to make sure.”

The eyes mirroring in hers were really scared. “I’ll tell you when we wake up?” It was asked between quivering teeth and she glared at her, glared softly.

So Taeyeon inhaled deeply. “Have you ever felt so serene that it felt wrong, that you’d wait for something bad lurking in a dark corner to come and ruin it.” And she escaped the stare.

Words were running away from her mind, how to respond at something so deep and personal. “I don’t think so, do you feel like this now?” She saw onyx irises starting to shine under the low light.

“I think so.” It was the broken answer.

She was at lost the voice dying in , she wanted to reassure her. “Well, if that something gets out of that dark corner then I’ll be there with you, we’ll face it together.” And maybe she hit a weak spot, the right one, because Taeyeon smiled a little, then the smile escalated. “Don’t you dare to laugh at me.”

“It was really sappy.” She did dare to laugh at her face.

Sunny slapped lightly her shoulder. “You were being sappy!”

Taeyeon just kept giggling in that weird laugh of hers before kissing her soundly on the lips. Leaving her at mouth open, at the audacity, just to be closed again by the thin pair of lips that could make her forget anything.

The kiss turned into something deep immediately, the tongue in making Sunny moan, and it was a make out session in a moment. She felt Taeyeon’s hands brushing and touching everything at once, making her cheeks blush hard, just to being brought down gently by lingering kisses and then pecks on her lips and nose.

“Are you putting me asleep?” She asked giggling.

An hand was brushing her hair and the blond was humming on her head. “Yes, you are too hyper. Should I sing a lullaby too?” She sensed the happy tone in the other voice and relaxed, she succeeded in sending all those bad thoughts away.

Sunny’s hand was still under the loose top Taeyeon’s was wearing, tracing doodles on her soft abs, she saw black eyes flutter, fighting to stay open and chuckled. “I don’t think you’d be able to do that, you are about to fall asleep right now.”

The hand in her hair tapped and the blond shushed her playfully. “Sleep now.”

She huffed but conceded and closed her eyes, following the thump of the heart under the ear, it slowed and slowed, lulling her to sleep.

“Thank you, for being there with me.” Was the last thing she heard before succumbing to a deep sleep on Taeyeon’s chest, a smile on her face.