Chapter two

And all because of an ugly uniform

With the same tired, bloodshot eyes, slightly different jeans and t-shirt, same leather jacket Taeyeon surpassed the gate of her school. The safest choice would have been to put on the damn uniform, but Kim Taeyeon doesn’t bend to the wish of tyranny.

It was raining so she watched all the students racing to the doors, she took her sweet time. Running only makes you get wetter; she felt the icy drops on her face and breathed in the smell of the rain that touched the ground. The sensations were put at the back of head, so she could analyze them better later, and write songs about them.

She tried all yesterday, with her acoustic guitar on the lap and blank notebook on the desk, staring right back at her with nothing to tell. But all she could think of was bunny angry eyes and high-pitched giggles, that girl was annoying, oh god she was really annoying.

“I knew you wouldn’t give in, that’s my rebel girl! Today is going to be fun” Taeyeon scrolled her now wet hair and smirked at Yuri.

“Of course, I don’t like despot Yul. Jess what are you doing here so early?” The blogger was already retouching her makeup, afraid the rain might have ruined it. “Well, I wasn’t going to lose the possibility of seeing you get reported to the principal.” The short one laughed her deep old woman laugh. “It creeps me out every time she does that, you know Yul, she sounds just like a mad woman.”

“Let’s just go inside, come Tae get a grip on yourself you are scaring people.” Yuri received a hard punch on the arm for that.

They were walking to class, Jessi was informing the others on the trend of day, Taeyeon was judging her for being interested in bosh and Yuri was worried about the incoming tiring training.

Taeyeon saw her first, the wavy hair was now in a high ponytail and there were bangs too. The Student Council President was walking, no she was marching, head high, the ponytail moving right and left to the beat of her footsteps. Her lesbian brain confirmed that she was pretty, a sight in the furious mode, then the tiny part of her mind that wasn’t involved in lesbian thoughts realized that the beautiful raged girl was marching at full speed towards her, and she panicked.

“There she is, this is going to be fun!”

 “She is going to get punished I tell you Yul.”

The girl looked at her so-called friend with a scowl, so much for friendship. The president was now right in front of her, fuming with her arms crossed. “I see you really like to make me angry. Now I have to report you to the principal hmm what’s your name anyway?”

Her friends were laughing at her behind her back and she wanted to punch them both, but now there were more pressing matters. Brown wide eyes were staring into her soul and she was losing herself bit by bit.

“Kim Taeyeon, but are you serious? Just let me live my life in pace!” The other girl just turned fast on her heels and speed toward the hallway. And it was at this moment that she understood the implications of what was about to happen. There was only one solution, she started to run.

“Tae? Tae what are doing? Why are you running? Why are you running?”

“Yuri stop screaming already! She is going to cause trouble that’s what she’s gonna do.” The two remained rooted at the spot for another instant, then started to run too.

“Wait shorty! Wait a moment, can we talk?” But the other didn’t relent. So Taeyeon accelerated and grabbed her arm then proceeded to slam and block her on a locker. She screamed in her terrible sensible ears.

“Are you out of your mind? What the Hell?”

They were almost nose to nose; the taller girl had blocked the others arms with both hands at the sides of her head. She gripped at the delicate wrists, making sure that she couldn’t move, Taeyeon didn’t know exactly what she would do now, but well she was in panic mode. The girl stopped screaming, now was breathing hard with fury, her bunny eyes focused on her sharp ones and Taeyeon forgot for a moment what was her mission.

It was her fault, she smelled just that good, sweet, like when she was little and her granddad took her to scroll in a park that was full of multicolored flowers. Her breath hit her thin and chapped lips in puffs, her eyes caught for a microsecond a sight up close of those red full lips and then she was pushed away.

She lost her concentration for seconds and damn it.

“What. Was. That!”

She was about to speak at her behalf, but a teacher was already there, and she didn’t look happy.“You two what are you doing? Leave it, I don’t care, you are disturbing, and you go to the principal. Oh no I don’t care whose fault was that. Really, Sunny? You are supposed to put the example not to start brawls!”

“But Miss… she… it’s her fault! She attacked me!” Sunny was trying to defend herself, so Sunny was her name. Cute, but not really adapt at her character. “I said that I don’t care, both of you to the principal now!”

Taeyeon heard Jessica mumbling “Stupid, she is just an idiot!” lost in the crowd and she just felt Yuri nodding. God yes, she was really a big idiot.

She was already resigned to her destiny and started to walk in the hallway, shoulders low and hand on her stupid face. Who told her to tackle another girl like they were on a ing rugby field? And this was why she doesn’t have a girlfriend and she never will.

“This is all your fault, you know it right? I can’t believe I am being send to the principal because of you!” Sunny was walking with her, her eyes teary but fuming, nevertheless. Taeyeon watched her up close, again, she was blinking very fast, brown eyes now a bit reddish, she was biting her lower lip and breathing in an erratic way.

“Are you going to cry? Look it’s not that bad, I am going to take the blame, it’s going to be alright.” The girl pushed her away weakly.

“I am not crying you brute! Mind your own business.”

“Fine have it your way, I was trying to be nice.” Sunny said she wasn’t crying but her eyes just got redder, and she proceeded to hide them behind her long bangs. For some strange twist of the destiny she couldn’t stand seeing her that way. She was too much gentle at heart, that it’s, and crying girls were apparently her weak spot. Maybe that girl was just a little weaker one.

But what was she supposed to do? She wasn’t good in consoling people, hell she wasn’t good in talking to people. The hallway seemed infinite and Taeyeon was reconsidering all her dumb choices of her life. She made a lot, cancel that, it was nearly all of them. She sighed out loud and started to curse herself in her mind.

Sunny knocked on the big door, a deep voice answered from inside. They entered with hesitation, she noticed Sunny’s hand was trembling a bit and unconsciously she brushed one with the back of the hand. Their eyes met for a second and Sunny crossed her arms with a scowl.

She was worrying too much, what could happen? A few more hours at school? Nothing to lose sleep to, right?

 

“Oh come on, it could be worse, it’s just two hours after school!” The principal was very understanding even if he looked at Sunny in a strange way. “And I have to wear the damn uniform, but it could be worse.”

“Maybe for you, this is my first time, you must be used to it.” Taeyeon really hated the tone of superiority that the other girl had assumed, but under it there was something else, a tinge of fear maybe. That stopped her to answer with a string of curses.

“It’s my first time too, Miss President.” Sunny just give a truly aghast glance, like she had grown two heads. “What?”

“Anyway, it’s all because of you!”

“But if you were a normal person that would’ve just ignored the question we wouldn’t be here.” One of the brown eyes started to have a tic and her hands were closed in fists.

“And if you were a normal person and didn’t slam me in a locker like an animal we wouldn’t be here!” They were soft screaming at each other in the middle of the hallway, it was one of those situations.

“Alright that was my fault. I am sorry, I shouldn’t have, but if you just listened to me! But… hmm well I don’t have an excuse, I am sorry, I am not the violent type, you know?” Sunny snorted at her. “Could’ve fooled me.” And with an huff she accelerated her steps. Then she looked at the taller girl as if making sure she was still following her, and she was. “At least you have to wear the uniform now, that’s a win for my day, at least.”

“Oh don’t remind me.” Taeyeon was already detesting the idea.

“It’s not so bad, a little uncomfortable but not that horrible to the eyes.”

“Oh well it looks cute, on you. On me I have some doubts.” That just slipped from , she bites her lip, restraining herself from screaming . Sunny didn’t stop walking but glanced in her way with a curious expression.

“Did you just said that I look cute?” The tone was teasing and she couldn’t take it. Her pride couldn’t, mostly.

“Of course, you could fit easily in a kindergarten.” The angry stare that she got in return was terrifying. She braced herself for the worst but the follow move was inexplicably a pout, an adorable one.

“You are the one to talk, you are merely inches taller than me!” The pout was still in place and Taeyeon was finding it really difficult to take her seriously, trying to not laugh she smiled widely.

“Still taller thought” The scaring stare was back, but there was also a hint to a smile and her eyes didn’t threaten to start crying at any moment. Better that way.

“Alright see you in a few hours, I think, this is my class.” They were by history’s class and Taeyeon didn’t even realize when she started to walk Sunny to her class, instead of going to hers.

She had just walked a girl to class, well one thing to cross on her imaginary list.

“Hmm fine yes, see ya.” The girl knocked and the moment the door was closed Taeyeon sprinted toward her period, that was at the exact opposite of where she was now.

 

Yuri was watching her closely, it was evident in the way her lips curled that she was restring herself from laughing out loud. Jessica was shaking her pretty head and forking her salad hard. “What? Come on say it Yul, I know you want to.”

“I am not that petty, what you think of me?” Jessi continued to shake her head and fork repeatedly her salad. “Then you Jess?”

“I ing told you so, I can’t believe it. The second day of school, that’s something even for a fool like you.” She forked hard. Then started to laugh with all her chest. “God I was keeping it in for a long time.”

“Glad to be entertaining.” She was eating some sort of chicken, if it was chicken. Her stomach protested but she was hungry.

“Oh look your new friend!” Yuri was pointing at Sunny that just entered the cafeteria, hand in hand with her cheerleader. She was happy to ascertain that the pout was still in its place. Her bangs were a bit messy now and she kept retouching them.

“Not exactly my friend, I think she kind of hates me.” Sunny was choosing her food, today the menu offered salad with chicken, chicken with fries and fried chicken. She saw the indecision and mild disgust on her tiny face clearly. Then she opted for the fried one. Not a bad choice, it was her exactly pick, everything fried tastes good.

“We hate you too.” Leaving her observing to give Jessica an exasperated glance:” You are not my friends too.” Jessi pretended to be hurt with a dramatic intake of breath and trembling hand on the heart. “I wasn’t expecting this kind of backstabbing from you!”

Taeyeon smirked munching on her food meanwhile Yuri was laughing her off. She went to her staring again, the President was biting into the chicken while chatting animatedly with her group. Then she lifted her head from the plate and their eyes meet, hers opened comically and Sunny raised an inquisitive eyebrow. Recovering fast she mouthed see you in a bit smoothly, the other gave an eyeroll in response.

“Did I just saw you flirt with Miss crazy?” Yuri was looking at her with wide doubtful eyes, full of fries and shiny with frying oil. Disgusting.

“I wasn’t! Are you out of your mind?” She wasn’t flirting, she didn’t even know how, so she couldn’t be. Anyway her first choice wouldn’t be surely Miss Uptight High-pitched Voice President.

“She isn’t capable of flirting Yul, she just seems creepy I bet.” Taeyeon ignored that snarky response, it was the only way of communicating that Jessica knew. “I still think she was thought, you didn’t get a crush, did you?”

“You are hallucinating that's what it is, or maybe you are truly scared of today, thinking of being beaten by fresher blood?” Yuri snorted. “Me? Afraid of little babies still stinking of milk? Never.” But her eyes shifted fast again on the food and the tone wasn’t so sure like always.

“Sure thing bud, you still the best!” With a smack on the broad shoulders she saw her friend smile a little wider.

“Anyway you can practice on flirting in a few hours, I don’t think there will other people. Just a teacher you and your Giulietta.” Jessica winked suggestively. “Oh shut up, don’t you have a bad and unsuccessful fashion blog to run?” She tapped a few times on her smartphone and snapped a picture of her, in the middle of attacking with her teeth a piece of fried chicken. “There now I will post this, #thingstonotdoorbe.”

The world really hated her.

 

Ironically the same teacher that forced them to go to the principal was the one on duty. Miss Pratt was fuming, arms crossed, foot stomping on the ground, Taeyeon almost laughed on front of her angry face. Karma has its ways like Jessica always told her.

Sunny was already there, first desk, history book and a yellow notebook out. “How can you have already homework? It’s literally the second day!” The girl spared her a quick rude glance then returned to her work.

Miss Pratt pointed at the desk next to her and she sat with a huff. “Alright no one of us want to be here, it’s clear. Now stay here in silence for two hours, do whatever you want and we can go all home, finally.” Taeyeon nodded with annoyance and took her writing notebook out.

It was a birthday present, Jessi and Yul bought like ten for her, all ten with different nerdy cover. This one was her third broken in and it has the Death Star on it, floating in the black universe. She had just started to write on it, the day before in fact. It had just a line on it :"so annoying in all the ing right ways".