Chapter one

And all because of an ugly uniform

The grey clouds obscuring the Sun were truly the perfect representation of Taeyeon’s mood entering the school. Everyone was looking at her with wide eyes like it was the first that she ed up the dress code, like she didn’t come in a leather jacket and jeans every damn year.

Honestly the uniforms were horrible and uncomfortable to wear, who in their right mind would feel comfortable in a white cotton shirt and those squared skirts.

Anyway, finally it was her last year in this awful school full of indignant and ignorant little kids, she couldn’t be happier. There she was, leaned on her dented metal locker, hands in her jacket pockets, sleepy and swollen onyx eyes, waiting for her one of two decent friends to arrive and start this year of hell.

There she comes, the flaunted and loved captain of the girl softball team, Kwon Yuri, already in her trousers uniforms and team’s jacket with a big smile plastered on the tanned face. She nodded at Taeyeon with a knowing smirk. “You know, you should’ve slept, it’s your last first day of school. Come on Kim Taeyeon give me a big smile!” The only answer she received was a big shrug and an eyeroll. “Oh, I see, we are starting on a really good foot. Come on let’s go to class, God only knows you don’t need to start with begin late.”

“I hate this school, for real, I can’t wait for this year to pass, and fast.” Yuri looked at her with a resigned face. “I know hobbit me too, honestly, I can only hope in a good scholarship.”

“That you will get because you are the ing best Kwon Yuri, but don’t call me that again or I’ll end your miserable life, we had this conversation hundreds of times!” The lifeless eyes of Taeyeon come back to life just for that instant then became dead again. Yuri laughed at her little friend, blackmailing her with a deadass serious face. “Yeah, I am really scared now, I am trembling!”

Taeyeon growled low in and shoved Yuri in the wall, or at least tried, her athletic friend didn’t even budge but instead continued laughing at her. Being in their own world they didn’t hear a high-pitched voice.

“You! You with the biker jacket!” Taeyeon stopped in her tracks watching a, yes, shorter girl with long wavy chocolate hair and the squared skirt blocking their way. “Where is your uniform? You don’t look like a first year so I think you know perfectly well that you should wear it!” The two girls were looking at each other in shock.

“Hmm, that’s none of your business? You look like a first-year thought.” She watched the tiny girl turn red with rage, her full cheeks deep pink and her tongue pushing in one of them puffing it even more. She looked even cute if she didn’t seem ready to commit a murder. “Fine, it’s the first day I’ll pass on that. I am in the last year and this is my business, I am the Student Council President, so this is sort of my job.” Taeyeon scanned her from toes to the top of her head, she didn’t look like a student council president, at all. From the tiny feet to the round bunny eyes, plump lips and fluffy cheeks. But there she stood hands on the waist and authority in the eyes.

“Well, I am sorry, but no one really cares about the uniform, I dress like this every year. Just calm down little bunny it’s the first day for everyone, please don’t scream.” That had the opposite effect that she wanted. The President went from controlled rage to barely controlled one.

“I don’t care, it is in the dress code and you are no special student, you’re going to wear it like everybody else. And don’t you dare call me that! Understood?”

Taeyeon hated fighting, honestly, she hated talking in the first place. She rolled her eyes before meeting Yuri big eyes and snorting out loud. The other girl shacked her head as for say to let it go. “Look, I don’t like wearing the uniform, you know skirts aren’t for me. Let’s say you scolded me; you did your job now we can start this forsaken year. It’s my last too, and I promise you won’t see me.” The little girl didn’t seem convinced. “There are trousers too, like the one your friend is wearing, don’t find useless excuses, put it on like the rest of us.”

“God damn it! Listen girl can we make a pact? I don’t wear the horrible uniform and you, well, what do you want? Let’s say my dessert for the rest of the year!” The girl just pinched her small and cute nose with chubby but delicate fingers. “Are you for real? The desserts ! And I am not that type of President excuse you!”

The little brawl had attracted some people and from nowhere a jumping cheerleader attached herself at the back of the Student Council President. The girl jumped at the contact but meeting the pair of familiar smiling eyes she relaxed. “Hi baby! Already fighting with people this early. On the first day?”

The pet name sounded so normal that Taeyeon stopped breathing for a moment. The cheerleader was really pretty with that big breathtaking smile and nice smiling puppy eyes. She had her arms around the others petit waist, the pointy chin positioned on the shorter girl shoulder. “Tiff, you know how I am in the morning, trust me I wish I wasn’t doing it too.” Tiff nuzzled her nose on her neck and giggled.

They seemed quite the couple, a cute, pretty, gorgeous couple. Taeyeon lesbian brain was malfunctioning, bad. From the look on Yuri face, she was too.

“Come on, we have math and I already hate math, just let it go I don’t want a lecture on being late!” Tiff put the best puppy looking eyes she had seen in her life. The little bunny resisted, raised an eyebrow and then nodded. “God, I don’t have time for this. Look If tomorrow I don’t see you wearing the uniform, I am going to report you. Bye!”

“Report to whom? Who cares?” Taeyeon almost screamed it but the girls were gone, walking hand in hand to class.

Then she turned to Yuri. “What the hell was that?” Her friend face reflected perfectly her feelings. “I don’t know Tae, but maybe you should start putting that uniform on.” Taeyeon scoffed. “What? For that short tyrant? Who cares Yul.” “You know you are barely taller yes? And well, she could report to the principal.”

They started to walk to class, doubt on their faces. That was the worst way to start the year.

 

Boring class after boring class Taeyeon couldn’t shake the event of that morning from her head. It wasn’t just the annoying lecture on the dress code, or fear of being reported at the principal. It was that tiny president racing on her, and her apparently girlfriend, was she out to the whole school? And became Student Council President?

“Still thinking to this morning, are you? I know history is a boring, but you didn’t even scowl at Mrs. Johnson. Not once!” Yuri had been diligently taking notes on her left, at the back of the class, her personal spot.

“She is stupid, she doesn’t teach us the right way. God, I don’t need to know exactly at what hour started the WWI. She should teach us the ing contest, the reasons, the behind the scenes.” Yuri nodded with an eyeroll. “You know how I think about this don’t get me started!” She lifted her hands in surrender.

“Miss Kwon, Miss Kim, something to share with the class?” Mrs. Johnson shouted from the teacher’s desk. The girls just said no with their heads.

“At least pretend to take notes Tae.”

“For what? I am not going to use them; I’ll pass with the bare minimum thank you very much.” Yuri snorted and returned to write.

“Anyway, what do you think? About shorty and the cheerleader one this morning?” Taeyeon was whispering, not wanting to risk another lecture. “What do you mean?” The short one finished putting her newly blond hair in a ponytail and then answered:” You think they are a couple? Like are they girlfriends?” Yul looked at her in a strange way, puzzled. “Maybe yes, it seems so, but a lot of girls do stuff like that with their friends.” Taeyeon scoffed and returned to her thinking.

 

Then there was lunch and they were in line to get the food, if you could call it that. Taeyeon grimaced at the sight of the main course, roast beef that didn’t look like roast beef, but she needed to eat. Her stomach was accustomed to it anyway. Yul in an act of pure courage asked for the double portions. At her disgusted expression she just said:” What do you want hobbit? I need my energy!”

“You have a stomach of iron.” Yuri nodded proudly.

Then she saw them, the two girls from the morning. They were in line too, giggling at each other. What was so fun in the gross food of the cafeteria anyway?

“You are staring Frodo, you in love?” Taeyeon almost screamed in shock. A girl with long straight honey hairs, cold but mischievous eyes were looking into her soul, she had been always creepy, but the cool way. “God Jess you want me dead? You hate me that much?” The fashion blogger, work in progress, smirked a little. “Yes, I don’t know why I didn’t kill you that time in elementary, I always regret.”

“Jess, you were poking me with harmless and for kid scissors.” The other girl made her same disgusted face at Yuri and then answered:” All is possible with the right spirit”

“And what spirit would it be? Murder?” Said Yuri while munching on her whatever that was.

“Precisely” was the only word Jessica said. Taeyeon choked on her water and almost died for real. “You really want me dead today. And to answer you I think these two are together! That’s why I was watching. I didn’t know our student council president was gay and well out.” Jessica started to laugh, but her specific way of laughing, the mocking way.

Taeyeon continued to look unimpressed until they find a spot to seat. It was always the three of them, insulting each other in friendship. “Stop laughing like you are the president of the united states and explain!”

“You two are so out of the world and stupid my God.”

“Hey! I didn’t say anything!” Jess snorted. “Shut up, idiot! Anyway, they aren’t a couple just best friends, the kissy feely touchy type. You know the exact opposite if us?” Jessica had that aura of superiority around her, like the whole world would just knee to her at a flick of her hand. Been like this since pre-school, you could just hate or love her, the most was hating.

“And how you know for sure? Miss know it all?” The need to contradict was strong.

“Because I know people at difference of you, antisocial little hobbit.” Will they ever stop with the nickname? “Tiffany is sort of my mutual, I kind of know her, we say hello, we talk, that’s what normal people do.” Taeyeon raised a very thin eyebrow in disbelieve.

“You know the cheerleader? You know cheerleaders and you don’t present them to us?” Now she was angry. Jessi seemed to ponder a bit. “This idiot right here is the Captain of the softball team, she knows cheerleaders, you useless midget.”

Then Tae just rounded 180 degrees and stared straight in Yuri spirited eyes. Guilty eyes went immediately back to her lunch. “Traitor, we are best buddies and you do this to me?” The guilty eyes were now begging forgiveness. “Oh, come on it’s not like you would meet and talk to them! Come on Tae!” The girl with the leather jacket just looked at her half-eaten plat, angry but actual knowing her friend was right. “Who are you to say that? Useless giant.” Yuri went back to her plat with an eyeroll knowing full well her friends wasn’t really mad.

When she is mad Taeyeon would stop talking to you, her only responses were monosyllabic and blank stares her only expressions.

Tae went on her observing now with some more sense, and the two girls were peacefully eating surrounded by other friends, it seemed. They were laughing and she noticed that the shorty angry one had a beautiful smile, her eyes followed a bit the curl of the full lips, disappearing in moon crescent and her high-pitched laugh could be heard in all the cafeteria, but it wasn’t an ugly or annoying one.

Surely it was better than hear her scolding.

“Stop staring you creep, that’s exactly why you don’t have a girlfriend.” Jessi was still busy checking the notification on her phone, but she seemed to have eyes at the back of her head too.

“I am not a creep, and I don’t a have a girlfriend because I don’t want one, all right?” There was no girl in the school that interested her, not in that way. Sure, many were cute, pretty, gentle and kind even, but Taeyeon always felt too much or too little, no middle ground. Her friends always said that she was an alien of sort, her mind lost in the stars, her brain too complicated and trippy too really follow its line of thinking. She felt precisely that way, like she was floating in the black pitched nothing, one that she filled with her fantasy, her music, her songs. It was difficult to find a girl accepting of her eclecticism.

“Sure thing, midget.” Yuri laughed, Taeyeon looked at her with sleepy rage.