Chapter thirteen

And all because of an ugly uniform

“You are taking me to eat a hamburger?” She eyed the pilot in disbelieve while fumbling with her pochette.

“Why? You don’t want one? They are the best you’ll ever eat, trust me!” Taeyeon was driving like she had a Ferrari, sprinting on the streets, a hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear shift. Sunny hold on whatever handle she could find for dear life, even so the ride was incredibly smooth and the driven seemed so sure of herself. It was kind of y too.

“Well alright, but I am not going inside a steak house dressed like that.” She indicated her corset making her point clear.

Taeyeon smirked looking at her briefly with her side view. “You have so little faith in me woman, trust me.” Sunny snorted and slapped her thigh hard waiting for the growl of pain that followed, she chuckled.

“Hey, I am driving here! You want to crash into a tree?” Taeyeon was massaging her leg, a look of defiance on her face, the moonlight and the light poles letting her catch glimpse of it.

“With the way you are driving I’ll not be surprised if we do!” She giggled at the now angry and outraged pilot. Then she saw her biting her lips and looking forward, her eyes focused again on the streets.

They arrived at the steak house and Sunny was ready to protest again, when she saw a signboard with drive thru written on it. “It’s a drive thru?” The blond grinned and got near the speaker to make their order.

“Told you, you have to little faith in me. Now what my lady wishes to eat?” Sunny stared at her, unamused and shacked her head. “The one with chicken in it I think, and a beer. Thank you.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as if she already knew and made their order. “Is this some kind of obsession? To chicken?”

“What? Are you insane?” But the pilot was staring at her in a very serious way. She blinked a few times. “No, I just like chicken, what’s the matter?” She really didn’t understand what the problem was, crinkling her nose she narrowed her eyes.

Taeyeon raised her arms and she was clearly holding back from laughing, her lips closed tight on her teeth. “It’s just strange for a bunny to eat so much chicken, it’s not some kind of cannibalism, you know white meat?” At her shocked face she started to laugh, her deep and really strange laugh.

Sunny snorted and pinched her nose with her fingers.

With what kind of freak I am going around?

Their last destination to eat was apparently the beach, Taeyeon smiled all the time as if her face was frozen like that, grabbing a blanket from her car and spreading it on the sand. Sunny left her high heels in the car, appreciating the feeling of her skin in the lukewarm sand. It seemed the perfect night for an improvised picnic near the ocean, the air was crispy but not cold, the stairs shined brightly and the only rumors they could hear clearly were the waves dashing on the shore.

She inhaled the iodine that was in the wind and felt herself relax for the first time in months. Sitting on the dark blue blanket she signed out loud trying to take in everything and release her accumulated stress.

“So you like?” Taeyeon was observing her, her feet playing with the sand and a satisfied smile on her face.

She couldn’t bring herself to be snarky this time. “Yeah, very much. But you bring always this around? I mean the blanket.”

“Of course, I need to be prepared all the time, you know how many girls I brought here?” Sunny narrowed her eyes, now she felt the atmosphere drop.

“I don’t know?” Her eyes were fixed now on the sea, biting on her chicken burger with more strength she meant too, spreading sauce all over her chin. Taeyeon handed her a tissue silently laughing.

“Don’t get angry little bunny, just one… that’s you by the way.” She chuckled and Sunny wanted to grip her neck and strangle her.

“Why would I be angry?” She snorted and gave another big bite.

The girl shrugged and averted her stare.

“Good eh? Told you so.” The girl had a smug little grin on her face while eating her double cheeseburger. Where does she put all of that? “Anyway I come here a lot, I like the ocean better in the winter. When there is no one around and the waves are alone and angry. So that’s why I have always that blanket with me.” Her voice was so soft, so profound, it lulled her and she pictured the angry and lonely waves, that was such a romantic imagine.

Thinking about it all of it had a romantic feeling, a dreamy imagine. Eating on the sand on a starry night with elegant dresses. She gulped hard trying to keep those thoughts at bay.

“I can see what you mean, it is comforting in a way.” Their eyes met and she found onyx big poles shining and staring at her. She sensed a pull so strong she had to get closer, using the ketchup on her cheeks an excuse, more for herself anyway. “You talk like an adult but eat like a child.” Wiping the sauce off with her thumb she felt Taeyeon lean her face on her hand, a tender smile spreading her lips.

She retracted her hand, breathing deeply. Putting the thumb in to clean it she saw Taeyeon’s eyes grow big as saucers before looking back at her hamburger.

She sensed the tension all around them, a magnetism of some sort and she wanted to feel the contact skin to skin, to feel the sparkle and calm herself. Her mind was screaming at her and at the same time it was quiet, her heart missing beats.

Maybe that was how you are supposed to feel on a first date. As soon as the thought passed through her brain she archived it, in a dark alley.

She finished her chicken burger with a satisfied sign, it was so good and sipping her reaming beer she closed her eyes letting the sensation sink in.

“Look at that! Maybe we have company.” Taeyeon was spread on the blanket, one arm behind her head and a hand pointing at the sky. “What? Where?” Sunny was seeing absolutely nothing in the dark sky. The girl huffed in impatience. “Come here come on!”

Rolling her eyes from the childish response she lay next to her, following the finger she saw a light floating in the sky. She raised an eyebrow a looked at her companion. “Are you saying that’s an UFO? You seriously believe in UFO?”

“No! I mean I believe we are not alone in this vast Universe, but I don’t think if some aliens wanted to spy on us they’d let us see them. Anyway I think that’s a drone! Say hi to the drone Sunny!” She waved as if she was five and waving at an airplane.

Sunny really didn’t want to but found that adorable anyway, couldn’t help but laugh. “You dork.” She restrained herself to kiss her blushing red cheek.

“You are not waving Sunny, come on be polite.” And processed to catch her hand and make her wave at the damn drone, she tried to put some resistance but the other girl was so eager and she let her maneuver her arm, until she took her hand, interlaced their fingers and put them on the blanket.

Like that as if it was the most normal thing in the world, as if they’d do it every day.

She liked the softness, the fact that her palm was larger than hers, that her fingertips were slightly harder than the rest, and she put a note on her mind to ask why someday.

“What if you just made me say hello to a erted voyeur?” Taeyeon glanced at her with an unamused expression.

“What’s there to be a voyeur about? We are keeping it very family friendly, for now.” She smirked at her, a dirty shade on her eyes and Sunny flushed fuchsia, hitting her stomach with their still jointed hands.

“Don’t you even dare thinking about it!” Taeyeon lost her dirty smirk and started to cough.

“God I was joking, I can’t believe you hit me with my own hand! And I just finished eating!” Holding her stomach with her free hand she grimaced and started at Sunny in a betrayed way.

Suddenly she felt a bit bad because the blow was a strong one and the girl seemed in pain. Tightening her teeth she rose slightly and put her own free hand on her tummy, making circles, trying to ease the pain. “I am sorry I went too hard, it really hurt a lot?” The blond just whimpered and shacked her head.

Then her hold on the ground yielded, more like Taeyeon made her fall by pulling on their united hands, and she fell face first on the others chest, feeling it going up and down with laughter.

“We’re even now.” She said still laughing like the mad woman she was but her arm gathered her close, embracing her back. “I miscalculated it anyway, I thought your chubby cheeks would’ve tone down the impact, but it hurts anyhow.” She chuckled tightening her hold on the hips when Sunny craned and glared at her.

Not interrupting their connection she lost herself a bit in the lines of the other girl laugh, and then she saw Taeyeon glancing at her lips again. Inhaling deeply she rested her head on the bony chest and decided that they needed to talk about it.

Why she couldn’t move? 

The last thing she wanted to do was lead the girl on, and she was mature, and adult and could face this kind of situation. Or so her rational side told her. She kept making circles on the cotton covered tummy to ground herself, trying to find the words, the right ones. “Taeyeon, I think I need to clarify something.”

She felt the heart under her ear speed the beats, Tae cleared . “Are you going to tell me that you are an alien send to observe the humanity? Because I already know.” Sunny scoffed.

That kid was going to be the end of her.

“Can you be serious for a minute?” Her voice was harder that she supposed it to be and Taeyeon tensed under her.

“Alright, I am all ears.” Craning her neck again she saw the blond stare into the sky a unreadable expression on her face illuminate by the moonlight. “I don’t want it to be awkward or anything ok? But just to clarify it I am, well I am straight.”

Taeyeon started to squirm right away, the hold on her waist vanished and she was trying to get up. “Sorry, I am sorry If I made you uncomfortable- “

She didn’t let her finish and pushed her into the blanket again, staring into confused eyes. “No, no, no, it’s not like that. It’s okay, I am okay!” Retaking her previous position she breathed out. “I don’t know I didn’t want to lead you on. Okay?” The arm timidly embraced her again but she sensed Taeyeon gulp loudly.

“I knew already, I have a strong gay radar, it works on anyone.” She gulped again, her voice didn’t seem stable at all. “And no offense but I like tall girl, you know long legs and all of that, but you could make a good plushie.” She tightened her hold, pinching her hip, she slapped the hand.

She wanted to get mad but Taeyeon’s tone was strange and when she met onyx eyes they were different, there was something else in her smile she couldn’t understand. Sensing her searching stare she adjusted her bangs and spoke again:” We are okay, we are friends now right?”

Sunny wasn’t convinced but agreed. “I’d like that.” She didn’t know why It tasted bitter on her tongue. Also she didn’t know why she wished to stay like that all night, forgetting her father and the world. She just felt secure, wrapped in a protective bubble that she didn’t want to break.

 

 

“What? She really said that to you? When you brought her on the ocean, on the ing ocean in a starry night? Like it is not the most romantic date it’ll ever happen to her!” Jessica was a bit worked out on it.

“Calm down, will you. It’s me that got friend zoned not you.” Taeyeon and Yuri were playing Mario Kart on her Tv, in her room. Jessica was just going insane with her story.

“But it makes no sense Frodo, no ing sense! I mean probably even I would’ve opened my legs!" Yuri snorted at her side and surpassed her, Taeyeon cursed.

“Oh yeah? Should I try then?” Jessi throw the remote right into her head making her scream in pain and glare at her.

“In your ing wildest dream Hobbit!” And spread herself on the bed as if it was her property. Tae massaged her damaged head and tried to catch her opponent in the match, but it seemed impossible. She at this game and her mind was elsewhere. “Will do honey, don’t worry about it.” Yul snickered on her side at their friend angry growl.

“But how are you so calm about it? It is clear you like the little president.” Her tall friend was worried about her, she felt it into her soft tone.

“Because I knew it already, I am telling you for weeks now. I was prepared.” Her heart sunk anyway but she thanked herself for not bringing her hopes up too much.

“So you admit it now? That you like her.” Yul won and shoved her with her shoulder.

Tae spread on the carpet with an huff, remembering instantly of the girl on her on the sand. She couldn’t even lay down now. Maybe it was the time to be honest with everyone, put her heart in pace and go on with her life. “Yeah, yeah I like her. And look at me now, I am pathetic.”

The Co-captain squeezed one leg with sympathy. “You don’t! Hey, we all need to pass this kind of moments, it is mandatory.” She chuckled and Tae followed her, feeling already a bit better.

“Right welcome in the friend zoned by a straight girl community, next time I’ll give you the pins.” Jessica winked and they all started to laugh. She loved her friends with all her heart, that was a bit painful right now, but she’ll pass that.

Or I hope so.