Chapter eleven

And all because of an ugly uniform

“I can’t believe you asked me to accompany you, you to a freaking mall! Tu buy a dress!” Jessica was fangirling as if she just saw her pop idol.

As expected the mall was crowded, it was Saturday afternoon. Taeyeon was hating everything about it, too much people buzzing around in a frenetic way, going shop after shop, it was not the way she predicted spending her Saturday.

But she needed to find something to wear, and who better than Jessica Jung could help her. So here they were, her, Jessi and an equal annoyed Yuri. The mad woman was dragging them around as if they were her dogs on a leash.

“I am not buying a dress Jess, how many times do I have to tell you?” Honestly she was already exhausted and wished to be home, reading her unfinished book of Asimov.

“I know Tae, calm down girl I gotcha you!” Answering with the umpteen eyeroll of the day she met Yul’s eyes and signed. She should’ve gone alone.

She kept trying on suits, that she seems to look decent in it, just for Jess to shake her finger at it, a determinate and professional expression on her face.

“I don’t like all white, I am not going to marry, it’s just a party!” The fashionista scoffed at her and went to find another suit to try on.

“You really want to make an impression, don’t you Tae?” Yul was with her waiting in the dressing room.

“It’s a Gala, I never been to one and I just want to look presentable.” And maybe she wanted to make an impression, too.

That morning she stared at her phone for the all-time of breakfast, hoping it would lighten up with a message from the other girl. She almost sent one herself but in the end her guts failed her. Sunny had said that they will see each other on Monday, and that stopped her.

Even so, rereading their texts she found herself smiling like a fool, she loved how she answered, in her sarcastic and witty way. It was fun and it twisted her stomach in an exciting way. The world felt lighter when they talked, she couldn’t help herself and kept picturing the possible expression Sunny could be making at every text.

She found out so many little things about the girl, she likes reading, adventure novels the most, she likes videogames and has two cats. Of them she even got pictures and couldn’t smiling reading of how much the little girl loved the pets. Such a mom she was.

“Sure thing Frodo, oh look the dictator come back with new things.” Yul smirked at her and she grimaced entering once again in the changing room.

 

 

Monday weren’t just her thing, and don’t being a morning person made it all worse, if it could be possible.

That teacher, Mrs. Marinelli was making her life impossible, and yes she wanted the role with all her heart. But at what cost?

“Why do we need to make a poster? It’s a high school play, our parents will come and that’s it!” Taeyeon was arguing with the professor for what seemed ages.

Sunny kept herself aside watching the duo, with a strong headache pumping in her temple, she started messaging them clock way. She had a council in a half an hour and yet they were still in rehearsals, with that mad teacher trying to convince them to do a photoshoot for a poster.

She wanted just for this day to end.

“And you are wrong because we will make it a play that everyone can see, and that’s why we need to make posters! Now, it won’t take a lot, just go change the both of you, come on.”

Taeyeon cursed under her breath and looked at her with the most pleading face she could master. Her onyx eyes big, teary, totally defeated, stared right inside hers. Gulping hard because she almost fought Mrs. Marinelli for that she raised the shoulders, trying to soft the girl with a placid expression.

She didn’t want to do that photoshoot too, but what they could do?

“Are you crazy? My God you are trying to kill me!” The blond had her arms long near her waist, her shoulders down, lifeless. Mrs. Marinelli only smirked at her and shushed the both of them to go change.

Glancing at the other girl almost ripping the outfit from the arm of the seamstress, Sunny sigh loudly and followed her. Looking at the white Greek toga she grimaced, she was going to look awful in it.

Starting to her shirt she felt eyes on her and turning around, it was obviously Taeyeon, a hand shot immediately on her eyes when she turned around, it made Sunny chuckle. “I am still dressed, don’t worry.”

The girl lowered her hand and her eyes zoomed in the first two buttons, now ed. She saw a red blush spread from her neck to her ears, now her eyes were still on her face, a guilty shade on her expression. She didn’t know why but she found it only damn adorable.

“Are… hmm are you really okay with this thing?” Her tone oozed worry, her fingers were playing with the belt loops of her trousers, staring at her as if she was a ceramic doll and was going to break as one.

Smiling a little she shrugged a bit. “I think she is crazy but I really need to go to the council meeting, the faster we do this the better. Come on change.” She started to her top again with nonchalance, hearing a chocked scream right after.

“Wait! Turn around, wait! I am going over there, for god’s sake!” And she stumbled around, red to the top of her ears, to the other line of lockers.

At the umpteen curse she heard from the other side she couldn’t held it in anymore, the giggle escaped and then she couldn’t stop anymore.

“You are evil, a little satanic demon, enjoying yourself at my expanse are you?” She kept laughing like a mad woman, her high-pitched giggles filling all the changings room. Then she heard scoff and tried to find composure again.

“I am sorry, but you should’ve seen your face, it was hilarious.” Her laugh quieted down and she changed, with Taeyeon’s growls as background.

“Right, told you that I am entertaining. Are you done little evil bunny?” Her voice was raspy and husky, like she was a bit angry, and honestly it did things to her, things that she didn’t want to think about, not ever. Plus the nickname was really getting to her, warming her body all over.

Watching herself at the only mirror they had she grimaced again, the toga touched the floor at the back, her legs looked shorter, if that was possible, the only strap on the shoulder holding the material on her upper body made her chest bigger than she wished and the simple golden cord on her waist didn’t catch her figure like it was supposed to. Huffing she put the sandals on.

“Yeah, I am ready we can go.”

Taeyeon shyly appeared from the lockers, a tight smile on her lips. Her outfit was slightly different, she had an almost decent pair of white fluffy wings on her back, a half toga hanging from her hips and a simple white top that stopped on her belly button. It looked quite good on her.

She didn’t want to but her gaze lingered on the marked lines of her abdomen that disappeared in the material of the toga. They were sharp, clearly visible and she pictured for a second following one with a finger. Feeling her neck begin to burst in flames she adverted her glance.

The expression of mild disgust on Taeyeon’s face changed the exact moment she felt the onyx eating her figure. Feeling her blush invest her cheeks too she crossed her arms. “It’s awful, yours is way better.”

The blond stared at her with wide eyes, confusion written all over her face. “Are you serious? You look gor … you look great.” Then she cleared hard and power walked toward the stage.

Sunny followed her with her eyes, blinking a few times and glancing at herself in the mirror once again. Nope, she still didn’t like it, but maybe it wasn’t so bad.

 

“Try to not look awkward, you two love each other with a passion of thousands of suns, make me feel it.” Taeyeon growled behind her, her arms hovering unsure in the correspondence of her hips.

They were supposed to be in a sort of embrace, they couldn’t figure out how to do it. She was just thankful that her worst fear didn’t happened, that was they posing like the famous statue of Amore and Psyche by Canova, embraced in a kiss.

Tired of the indecision of her co-protagonist Sunny took the arms herself, putting them around herself on the waist and feeling Taeyeon intake of breathe near her neck, which caused goosebumps to pop on her skin.

Not knowing what to do with her hands she interlaced her fingers with the others, seeing how they were longer than hers and yet they seemed to fit perfectly. Without her knowing she started to play with them, trying to work out the tension and the embarrassment of the moment.

“Oh that’s cute, two friends hugging each other! I want the passion of it, Taeyeon I don’t think she’ll hit you if you actually touch her, come on stare into each other eyes. Do something!”

She rolled her eyes to the ceiling, that woman was impossible, then she felt the blond really embrace her, a firm but delicate hold on her waist and her lips brushing her jaw, she gulped.

She couldn’t move, freezing for no apparent reason other than not wanting to stare at the others profound eyes so up close. But Taeyeon was already looking at her, with her peripheric view she noticed the rosy color on her cheeks, the chapped lips closed in a tight line and the little nose inhaling air rhythmically.

She stayed immobile.

A hand left hers and shot up to take her chin, turning her to face the other girl. When their eyes met she felt a spark all along her spine making her sigh out loud. They were so captivating, hypnotizing, seeming to hold so many secrets, so many dark areas that she lost herself in them, trying to find each one of them.

Her subconscious heard the photograph take a lot of shots but she was focused somewhere else. She could sense Taeyeon’s breath on her lips and her heartbeat increasing through her back, but she held the position still, examining all the lines of her face finishing with staring at her lips. The thumb kept caressing in little circles her jaw and the gentle but unrelenting stare at her lips were making her quiver, feeling her legs turn jelly, Sunny forced herself to get a composure.

That girl was rending it so hard for her to behave like a normal person, and she was barely holding her.

The thumb on her chin left it briefly to put a strand of her wavy hair behind her red ear, then it brushed on the line of her jaw before holding her face more firmly. She saw a shift in those almost black eyes, like they had lost clarity, the pupils occupying all the iris. Taeyeon started to lean slowly, gaze focused on her lips and she gulped hard, processing how that was going to end.

She was going to lean away but the teacher interrupted the moment.

“That’s it, we are done girls, this is what I wanted to see!”

 It was as a bucket of ice water was thrown on the blond head, she jumped a bit, her eyes returning to the normal state, her hands started to tremble and then they left her completely. She already missed the warm and the calming scent that were surrounding her before.

Taeyeon lowered her glance on the floor, a hand scratching her neck. Sunny wanted to smile at her, at least, trying to unveil the tension between them but her lips were sealed. In a flash the other girl was gone in the changing room, not even saying anything.

Breathing in profoundly Sunny nodded towards Mrs. Marinelli, thanked the photograph and went to the changing room, the headache still racing like hell, glancing at the clock on the wall she snorted, she was late.

 

 

“You look like you just made a visit to Hell and came back, all okay Tae?” Yul kept staring at her, concern in her dark eyes. She was just finished with practice, the duffle bag hanging in one hand, a tired face fresh from shower.

“Maybe I was there, you don’t know what I do when you are not with me.” Taeyeon was still recovering from the photoshoot, god damn that horrible woman.

Her hands almost started to quiver again thinking of it. She lost her ing cool and was about to do the worst impulsive decision of her live, she was sure of it. Kissing a probably straight girl in the middle of an auditorium and with people watching them every move.

But she had still the polaroid of Sunny face so close printed in her eyes. The soft brown eyes staring right into hers, their finger intertwined, the flowered scent of her hair and how her skin was so morbid. She remembered her heart beating so fast she thought it was going to burst.

“Come on I see something is not right with you, spill it!” Yul pushed her a little smiling teasing at her. “It has to do with the little president?” Taeyeon chocked.

“You have to stop calling her that, she will punch you to death, sure with her little chubby fists. But still.” She snorted thinking at her puffing cheeks, couldn't help but smile.

“I see you there smiling like an idiot, someone is in love.” Yul shoved her again and she growled in annoyance.

“I am not, would you and Jessi stop with that.” The taller girl circled her shoulders with her arm, squeezing them and giving her a explicit stare.

“Spill the beans Kim.”

Taeyeon huffed and started to look only at her feet.

“Today, at rehearsal I almost kissed her.” She said it in a hurried whisper.

“Wow, I didn’t know it was that bad Frodo!” She was looking at her shock.

“Yeah, it isn’t. I think it was the situation you know. That witch made us pose for a poster and I was basically hugging her. I got carried away.” She was convincing herself, mostly.

On Yuri face there was pure pity, a tight, trying to be encouraging, smile. “If you say so Tae, but I think you should try. She doesn’t seem that straight to me.” Eyeing her friend with tiredness in her eyes she scoffed, shaking that thought out of her head immediately.

“Don’t tell me things like this Yul, don’t encourage me.” She saw her friend gulp and felt a pat her head gently.

Shallowing the lump in she proceeded to get home, driving always managed to calm and relax her. The radio on and going, losing herself in the traffic, doing the simple movements necessary, it was almost therapeutic.

And then a ing song come to her, the words passed through her brain like a train, leaving her shocked and afraid. The lyrics kept scrolling into her mind, it was good, it was deep, it was a ing love song.

And she knew perfectly at whom it was inspired.