Epilogue

Daddies

four years later

The doors slowly opened and Mark saw everybody turning their heads to look at him. He had expected that to happen but that didn’t mean it didn’t make him uncomfortable. It resulted in a blush on his cheeks and his father letting out a soft pained noise because he gripped his arm so tightly. Mark’s glad his dad’s with him because if he wasn’t he’s one hundred percent sure he would have sprinted down the aisle. Not because he wants to get married that bad, although that would definitely not be a bad thing but mainly because he can look at Yukhei which will make him forget that there are loads of people looking at him, watching every move he makes.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Guys, can you come over here for a second?” Yukhei says. Ash instantly comes running towards him, stumbling over his own feet making Yukhei have to do one of those ‘dad saves’ to not have him collapse into the kitchen counter. “Mei stop watching Dora and come here please, you’re too old for that anyways” Yukhei says to his now seven-year-old daughter. “I’m not, uncle Yuta watches it all the time” Mei argues while walking towards them. “He doesn’t he watches it with you because you are watching it.” Yukhei explains. Mei lets out an annoyed noise while joining Ash and Yukhei in the kitchen.

“So, you guys know your dad and I have been dating for a few years now right?” Yukhei asks the kids. Earning himself a “Yes!” from Mei and a nod from Ash. “Okay well what do people who have been dating for a while next?” he asks to the seven-year-old. “Ehm, getting babies?” Ash says questioningly. “No, that’s not what I mean it’s something else..” Yukhei tells them. “But didn’t you have us?” Mei aks. “Well yes but that was before we were dating” Yukhei says not managing to confuse the kids any less. “When you’re a little bit older we’ll talk about that but now I still need a correct answer” Yukhei says trying to get the competitive spirit back. “Kissing?” Mei aks. “They already do that silly” Ash says and Yukhei can’t stop the giggle coming out of his mouth. “Let me give you guys a hint okay? Last summer we had a party because grandma and grandpa had an anniversary of something what was it?” the tall man says as he tries to steer his kids in the right direction. “Because they were married super long” Ash says spreading his arms to empathize how long it was, almost smacking his dad in the process. “ARE YOU AND DAD GETTING MARRIED?” Mei shouts happily. “No not yet, I need to ask your dad first” Yukhei explains. “Why don’t you just ask him then?” Ash asks not understanding that that's not a casual question. “It has to be romantic of course” Mei answers. “So I was planning on surprising your dad” Yukhei starts earning approving squeals from Mei and a not caring shrug from Ash. “When he comes home from work today, you guys need to blindfold him and bring him to the living room okay?”. The kids nod. “And under no circumstances, you can tell him anything, it’s our secret” Yukhei tells them trying to look intimidating because he really can’t have them spoil it.

The rest of the afternoon is made up of the preparations. Mei isn’t letting anyone stop working until the living room is decorated as pretty and romantic as it could be. Yukhei goes to changes while Mei and Ash put their shoes away. (“We don’t want your dad to trip in the hallway now do we”) “Do I look handsome?” Yukhei asks a black suit on and his hair styled nicely. Ash starts to laugh while may says “You look okay” which honestly isn’t really good for his nerves. Mei suddenly halts and shrieks as if she suddenly remembers something “Do you have a ring?”. “Of course” Yukhei answers showing her. “Oh my gosh it’s so pretty, I want one to” Mei exclaims. “Maybe someday” Yukhei says, kissing her on the head. “Where is the ring for?” Ash asks still confused why you would need a ring when you’re just asking somebody a question. Yukhei just laughs and Mei starts to sassily educate her brother.

-

Mark sighs in relief as he reaches the front door of their apartment. The busiest period at work had started and many of his colleagues were complete asses because of the stress it brought them. His back was hurting and his boss’s nagging had caused him a headache. He desperately needs his boyfriend to smile at him in order to feel better. He opens the door of the apartment and steps inside. Mark wonders if they’ve all fallen asleep on the couch together again because it sounds way to quite in their house. “I’m home” Mark shouts to see if there even is anybody. He's pretty sure he hasn’t forgotten that they were having dinner at his parent's house again. He walks further through the hallway but before he can enter the living room he’s attacked by his kids. “Stop” Ash shouts. “Why?” Mark asks not really in the mood for any games they would possibly want to play. “In the name of love” Mei responds, and Mark wishes Johnny’s music taste wouldn’t rub off on his kids any further. Little did he know Mei’s response was actually quite close to the truth. Mei’s answer ears her a high five from Ash because of course, he thinks it's hilarious. Only now Mark notices the towel in Ash’ s hand. “What were you doing with that?” Mark asks him. “That’s for you dad” his son tells him. Great, he’s barely into the house and they want him to do dry the dishes. “Daddy come down” Mei yells tugging at his arm. “Mei sweetie, I really want to have some hot chocolate and lie down on the couch right now, not play games” he tells her. “Please dad, three seconds” Ash pleads. Mark doesn’t have any energy for whatever this is going to be but he even has less energy to fight about this. So he lets the kids blindfold him and guide him to what feels like the living room. “Where is your dad?” Mark asks them, a pout visible on his face. It’s unusual for Yukhei to not make a sound nor kiss him as soon as he comes home.

“I’m here”, he hears Yukhei’s voice in front of him. He tries to reach out to him but he’s just grabbing at empty air. It makes the kids laugh. “You’re not going to kiss me?” Mark says pouting even more. “I’ll in a bit” Yukhei says letting out a chuckle. “Okay then” Mark says “can I take this off now?” he asks, waiting for one of his kids to answer but instead it’s Yukhei who lets out an unsteady “Yes….”. Mark takes off the towel, his eyes slowly adjusting to the light. When he opens his eyes he isn’t exactly mentally prepared for what his eyes land upon. He sees his boyfriend on one knee, ring in his hands, smiling up at him. Normally that would have made him smile to instantly but now he just hears himself let out a shocked gasp. Mei squeals in the background and tries (but terribly fails) at whispering “Well dad is surprised”. This makes Yukhei get into a giggle fit probably from all the nerves as Mark has some time to get back to reality. Now the reality at the moment was that his (probably) soon to be fiance was having a laughing fit instead of trying to ask a certain question. “Was that the question?” Mark says teasingly as Yukhei’s laughing fit finally nears its end. “No, god no” Yukhei answers still smiling. He takes a deep breath before asking “Mark Lee do you want to marry me?”. Of course in situations like this his brain doesn’t cooperate so instead of screaming ‘YES’ he says: “Oh my god that rhymes”. Only to get a ‘disappointed but not surprised’ look from Yukhei who patiently waits for Mark to still answer. And when he finally does - yes of course - the kids cheer, and Yukhei puts the ring onto his finger. “So?” Mark says. “So what?” Yukhei responds. “Where are my kisses?” the shorter one says. “Here” his fiance says before he kisses the life out of him under load complaints of the kids.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now Mark didn’t need a big wedding with doves, fireworks and more types of extravaganza but his mom and Mei would have murdered them if they would have got married on a Monday morning. (in my country you can get married for free on Monday mornings in a tiny room at the city hall). So they settled somewhere in between. In case you’re wondering what Yukhei thinks of all of this, he doesn’t really care as long as Mark is happy and the kids aren’t crying.

Ash and Mei were actually sitting at the front row in between his mom and Johnny. Mark has to keep in a chuckle as he sees Ash giving him a thumbs up, gosh that kid. He then sees Mei scolding him for it. The girl has been spending way to much time with his mom.

He looks back to the front seeing Yukhei kindly smiling at him. He automatically smiles back, instantly feeling a bit less nervous. He has been to busy staring at his surroundings (well mainly Yukhei) that he didn’t even notice they had arrived at the front. His dad pats him on his back and gives a nod to Yukhei before going to his seat. “Hi” Yukhei says as he stands in front of him, a big smile on his face. “Hi” Mark responds a smile also prominent on his face. All the last nerves are being washed away as soon as Yukhei takes his hands in his. The ceremony starts and before Mark knows it the priest says “and now I announce you husband and husband” The crowd claps and Mark hears Mei scream in joy meanwhile Ash gasps in horror at the sight of his parents kissing, earning them some laughs from the other people. Yup Mei definitely takes after her dad. The ceremony is over and apparently, now he’s married. “So husband, I guess this is the part where we have to run down the aisle” Yukhei says to him, taking his hand in his. “Do we really have to do that” Mark says already embarrassed at only the idea of it. “If you don’t wanna run, we’ll have to do it this way” his husband says as he hoists him over his shoulder and starts running away. “Yah Yukhei” Mark screams as he is carried away. “Was that better?” Yukhei asks teasingly. “Nope” Mark responds dryly. “Wanna do it over?” Yukhei aks laughing at the look of horror appearing on Mark’s face. “Definitely not” Mark states.

They move over to the next venue where they’re congratulated by loads - it’s actually not that much but for Mark’s antisocial it seems like a huge amount- of people. “It was great, the vows were a bit simple but it was great nonetheless” Yuta comments as he congratulates the couple. “Yutaaa” Winwin whines embarrassedly at his boyfriend's words. Yukhei laughs “You know I told you, we don’t want to turn this into one big romance tearjerker movie”. “Yes thank god, if I have to see Mark’s mom happy cry one more time I’m moving to the moon” Yuta says thinking back to the dinner where the couple had announced they were engaged and Mark’s mom had cried - from happiness- on Yuta’s shoulder for thirty minutes. Taking that and mainly their feelings into account Mark and Yukhei had decided to just read their special vows out to each other.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Okay, should I go first?” Mark asks placing himself net to Yukhei on the couch. “Whatever you want baby” Yukhei tells him. “Well then, Yukhei…” Mark starts. “Wait you learned all of this out of your head?! you’re so smart” Yukhei interrupts him. “Language” Mark says flicking his fiance’s head as a punishment. “So yeah, Yukhei you know I love you or at least I hope you do” Mark smiles as he receives a nod from Yukhei “but it won’t hurt to tell you once again: I love you. I love the hot chocolates you make for me, I love how you entertain my mom when I don’t have the energy to. I love how you know what I need with me needing to tell you. I love how you help me when I need it whether I want it or not. I love how you replace things to higher cabinets on purpose because you want to play my superhero. I love the father you Mei and Ash and last but not least I love the person you are and the person you’ve become over the past five years.”.

“Thank you Markie” Yukhei responds a warm smile on his face. He quickly places a kiss on Mark's mouth. “No no no, thank you” Mark says pushing him away. “It’s your turn now” Mark says not being able to wait much longer. “Okay then,” Yukhei says pulling a hand through his hair. “Recently a colleague asked me if I didn’t mind raising a child that wasn’t mine. And the truth is I don’t mind raising your boy, our boy. Our clumsy son that was one of the two things that introduced you to me. The other one being my chaotic self getting in a slide.” Mark snickers at the memory. “But if there is one thing you and Ash have learned me it’s that family isn’t just a word or a blood-related thing. Family isn’t necessarily your parents or siblings but they are the people in your life who unconditionally love you. The people who are there when you need them and the people who help you no matter what. And it’s such an amazing feeling that you can love me like that. I don’t think I can ever thank you enough for that, but I 'll try my hardest by loving you just as much.” Yukhei tells him. Yukhei rubs comforting circles onto his shoulder as Mark wipes a tear away he didn’t even realize he had produced. “Do you want your ‘i’m emotional’ hot chocolate?” Yukhei asks him. ‘Yeah, yeah I’d like that” Mark says still smiling happily as Yukhei moves over to the kitchen.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Dad” Mei starts “S dads” Ash finishes trying to make sure they know that they’re talking to the both of them. “Can you cut the cake now?” Mei asks impatiently. “Grandma said you need to cut it first, and i said that was ridiculous because we can do that ourselves” Ash adds, earning laughs from their parents. The two eight-year-olds obviously have no clue about wedding traditions. “We’ll do that soon okay” Mark says. “Ah, there are you two” Johnny shouts. “You really should stop running or one of you will knock something down sooner or later” Johnny tells the kids.

“This is one of the best days of my life” they hear Taeyong screams as he comes to hug them. They also get a hug from Jaehyun who whispers a “Sorry” in their ears. Of course, they had invited Taeyong - who also brought Jaehyun- because if they wouldn’t have he somehow would have found out and invited himself. He seems to still keep an eye on them because the amount of times they run into each other at the grocery store is highly suspicious. Taeyong looks over to Johnny and the kids playing tag. “Oh god how much you two have grown” Taeyong says looking down at Mei and Ash. “Tae you literally see them every week” Jaehyun says. “Oh, hush” Taeyong says putting a finger on his lips. “We all know that is hardly enough” the man adds keeping the additional comment from coming out of his husband's mouth by not removing his hand.

The afternoon moves on following some traditional weddingy things. At moments like this Mark is happy his fiance -scrap that- husband is so much taller than him. He is currently hiding his face on Yukhei’s shoulder as they have to do their first dance as a married couple. They didn’t rehearse anything, they’re just slow dancing to a random romantic song. Imaginating doing a choreo is already too much of a disaster. Mark is sure he would trip and fall face forward onto the ground and that isn’t something he wants on his wedding day. When they’re done they get a round of applause which feels quite awkward. The dance floor is now officially opened and Mark tries to find a thing to do in order to not have to watch his mom dance. It all gets worse when she tries to do the floss with the kids. He should have gone for the ‘floss free zone’ Yukhei was joking about.

The dinner went great - none of the kids or Mark spilled food so that’s a win - and the speeches were great. Embarrassing but great nonetheless. Mark also hadn’t expected anything else from his mom or Johnny who had taken it upon them to write about the two’s moments of which they would have hoped they would never see the light again. Now try telling that to Mark’s mom. “Sometimes I believe she gets all of her energy from seeing me suffer” Mark had told his husband who had laughed and added “No that sounds more like your dad”. Which had caused Mark to push him lightly.

When they arrived home - yes, home no honeymoon for them. the kids need to go to school after all- that night, they put the already partly sleeping kids to bed. Mark watches Yukhei as he kisses Ash on his head and softly leaves the kids their room. “So husband are you ready for bed?” Mark asks him.”What, you got something wild planned?” Yukhei teases as he cages Mark in his arms. “Ah, you wish” Mark answers before letting out a yawn. “I guess I should put you to bed as well then” Yukhei says before lifting Mark bridal style and taking him into their bedroom. “Yah Wong Yukhei let me go!” Mark protests weekly. “Never, I’m never letting you go Markie”