Chapter 3

Daddies

Chapter Text

It was a week later, the day Mark would take Mei home from school and babysit her for as long as Yukhei had his doctor's appointment. You could definitely say he was a nervous wreck.

'What is some of the other parents thought he was abducting a child', 'What if Mei and Ashton got into a fight', 'What if Mei got hurt and it was all his fault' and the most important one 'Could he even take care of a girl'.

Mark assumed taking care of a daughter must be very different from taking care of a son. Which is why he had at least followed three different hair tutorials on youtube because what if Mei wanted her hair in a ponytail, it would be embarrassing if he couldn't even do that. Or so he thought.

He had no idea what kind of things she liked to do but he had mentally prepared himself for an afternoon of tea parties, makeup sessions, and dance shows because it was what he imagined Mei doing at home as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when he arrived at the kids preschool, he was early or in Mark's opinion just on time and waited outside of the classroom while the other parents that had already arrived were talking to one another.

Mark had given up trying to talk to them after a couple of weeks in which the other parents had clearly shown they didn't want any advice or opinions from a young dad.

Although Mark had noticed that he had raised his son better than at least half of the 'older normal' parents and he was proud of himself because of it.

The door of the classroom stormed open and a group of kids came running out of it, dragging their parents in to show them another drawing they made of stick humans.

He walked into the classroom getting Mei and Ashton before walking to Taeyong. "I don't know if you know but.." he didn't even get to finish his sentence because Taeyong had already interrupted him.

"You are taking Mei home with you, yes I know Yukhei already told me this morning and these two won't shut up about it which made all the other kids jealous 'because they get to play at a non-playdate day'" he said followed by a sigh.

"Well I just wanted you to know I'm not abducting children," Mark says followed by a laugh. "I don't think you would voluntary abduct a child Mark, you seem to already have your hand full with taking care of Ash here" the teacher says while patting Ash on the head.

"Daddy can we go, I want to show Mei my Ninja's" Ashton wines. "Yeah alright, bye Taeyong" Mark says. Taeyong almost doesn't get the chance to say goodbye because a single thirty-something-year-old woman tries to hit on him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They arrive at Mark and Ash's apartment which Mark has totally cleaned because Mei and Yukhei were coming over.
He didn't want to impress Yukhei or anything he just didn't want him to get the impression that he is a terrible dad with a dirty house. Not that he would mind impressing Yukhei tho.

If anything he would like to befriend the other male because he is the only one he ever met who's a young parent as well. And I definitely wouldn't hurt to have someone around who understands.

Ashton drags Mei into his room to show her his Lego Ninjas immediately. Mark fixes them drinks and candy which he gives them when they're done looking at the Lego and he puts the tv on a child channel so he can get some rest.

Mark jolts awake when he hears the kids screaming. "Daddy somebody's calling!" Ashton shouts.

Mark gets up from the couch to answer the phone "Mark speaking". "Hey, it's Yukhei.." "How is it going?" Mark asks. "It was going just fine" Yukhei answers "till my car decided to break down"

He sighs. Of course, Mark immediately offers to pick him up. He asks Yukhei where he is and tries to activate the kids. "Guys put on your shoes we need to pick Mei's dad up". A loud protest is coming from both of them. Mark sighs and asks again.
"Noooo this is my favorite show" Mei protests and Ashton goes with it. Mark wonders what happened to Mei; apparently, the girl isn't worried about her dad when her favorite tv show is on. But then again they're just kids, so can he blame them.

Mark decides to call his mom, who is luckily able to come over to watch the kids. "And who might this pretty little girl be" Mark's mom asks once she has arrived and sees Mei. "She's Mei, Ash's classmate" Mark says. "Oh aren't you cute" she says before placing herself in between the two kids on the couch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It takes Mark a while to reach the place where Yukhei said he would be. He sees Yukhei, who is sitting down on the pavement. He parks his car and walks up to him before asking

"Where is your car?". "The people from the repair service already picked it up". Yukhei answers "Where are the kids?" he asks back. "They were being difficult, so in the end, I asked my mom to come watch them" Mark says.

Yukhei groans "Really, I'm sorry for that". "Doesn't matter, we should get going". He reaches his hand out and helps to pull Yukhei to his feet.

They enter Marks apartment. "Hello" Mark shouts to let his mom know he's back. "Hi sweetie" his mom shouts back. Mark cringes, knowing that Yukhei must also have heard it. Yukhei just chuckles clearly amused by Mark's embarrassment.

They enter the living room where the kids are still watching tv. It doesn't take long until Mark notices that they are eating candy. "Mom" Mark whines, yes whines and Yukhei thinks it's cute.

"How many times did I ask you to not give Ash sugar, now I have to deal with a hyperactive child for god knows how many hours". "Oh god" Yukhei says when he realizes the same fate awaits him.

Upon hearing that voice Mei turns around and runs to her dad. "Hello daddy, look I got candy" she says happily munching on some gummy bears. "I see, we have to make sure to brush your teeth extra good tonight then" Yuhei says. Mei just nods.

"Ooh, so you're Mei's dad" Mark's mom says giving Mark a look. Yukhei confirms while shaking Mark's mom's hand. "Well, in that case, I must be going before your dad start trying to make dinner and accidentally sets the kitchen on fire just like that time when you tried cooking when you were sixteen" Mark's mom says to Mark. Yukhei laughs really hard.

Mark walks his mom to the door. "So you and Yukhei hm" she says. "Mom I'm just babysitting his daughter" Mark says. "Well at least you got yourself a handsome one" she says and smiles before saying goodbye and closing the door after her.

Mark thinks about it. It was something he could definitely not deny: Yukhei was really good looking.