Chapter 8

Daddies

Mark and Yukhei got the kids out of bed, who thankfully had forgotten about the whole situation of last night and didn’t ask any questions.

They ate their breakfast and tried to get the kids ready for school. Yukhei was giving Mei a ponytail while Mark was doing Ash’s hair.

“How can you be so good at that?” Mark asks Yukhei who made a perfect ponytail. “I watched a lot of tutorials and then it took me a hundred times before it looked anywhere near decent” Yukhei laughs.

“Did you ever do that thing with the vacuum cleaner?” Mark can’t help but wonder because that’s totally a thing he sees the older man doing.

“I tried it once, but the ponytail doesn’t look as good, not to start about how dirty that is” Yukhei says.

Mark lets out a laugh imagining the scene. His laugh gets interrupted by the doorbell.

Mark wonders who the hell that could be at 8:00 AM. So he opens the door only to be surprised by the person standing in front of it.

“Oh Markie I’m so glad you’re okay” his mom says before giving him a hug. “Mom what are you doing here?” Mark asks.

“Ash called last night, saying it was happening again, so your dad and I rushed home to check on you, you know how the attacks can be” she says.

Mark knew, if nobody helped him out of it, he would be unable to function for hours. Which was exactly the reason his parents were confused, how their son was able to stand in front of them functioning totally normally.

The reason made itself known a couple of seconds later. Yukhei walked into the hallway -followed by two little pairs of feet- shouting “Mark it’s time to take the kids to school” (that sounded so husbandy omg lol)

Upon noticing Mark’s parents he said: “I’ll guess I’ll take them to school then”. He tried to get his coat but was stopped by Marks mom who gave him a hug. “Thank you so much for taking care of Mark”.

“It’s no problem really” Yukhei said, he couldn’t really add the “because I’m totally crushing on your son part” now could he.

Mark helped the kids put on their coats and that was the moment his dad finally noticed Mei.

“Oh hello, aren’t you adorable” his dad said, talking to Mei who was shyly hiding behind Marks' leg.

“That’s Mei she’s Yukhei’s daughter” Mark’s mom told his dad before the two started talking about how cute she was.

Mark let out an embarrassed groan and looked up to find Yukhei already looking at him. “Help” he mouthed.

“Oh is it that late, we need to be going” Yukhei said, “we can’t be late for school now can we”. “But daddy we are always late” Mei says.

Mark laughs while Yukhei just curses his daughter for exposing him in front of Mark’s parents.

“Ehmm but Ash isn’t so we should definitely keep his reputation up, shouldn’t we Ash” Yukhei said. Almost pulling the kids out of the house.

Once they’re gone Mark’s dad speaks up “So who was that?”. “Markie’s boyfriend I told you about” his mom answers.

“He’s not my boyfriend” Mark responds. “Well, he managed to get you out of that panic attack so that surely must mean something” his mom said in a matter of fact way.

And Mark wishes she wasn’t always right because it was very rare for him to calm down during an attack with the help of somebody who wasn't his mom or dad.

“Well whatever it is, he seemed like a nice kid” his dad said breaking the silence “honey we should get going, we have a long drive back to the resort, and Mark needs to work anyways”.

His parents said goodbye and Mark was thankful for his dad because he’s not sure he could handle more of those questions he didn’t have an answer to and neither would he have wanted to answer them if he did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time Yukhei, Ash and Mei made their way through the school's hallways. He found Taeyong standing in front of the classroom talking to the teacher of the b class: Jaehyun.

When Taeyong saw them he couldn’t resist saying “So you now also bring each other's kids to school?”. “Yeah, I, we ehm” Yukhei said looking for a good answer somewhere in his brain.

But Ash beat him to answer the question. “We had a sleepover at our house” the boy said happily, apparently having forgotten the reason for the sleepover.

Jaeyong choked on his tea at the word ‘sleepover’. Taeyong patted him on the back while saying “Darling you’re not supposed to spill the tea, he is” mentioning to Yukhei.

“I don’t know where you are talking about” Yukhei responded. He looked down to say goodbye to the kids to see they had already entered the classroom.

He said a quick goodbye to Taeyong and Jaehyun before leaving the school at the speed of light.

“So should we also have a ‘sleepover’ tonight” Taeyong said to Jaehyun while laughing. Jaehyung snorted while walking back to his classroom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark was on his way to pick Ash up when he got a call. Like the responsible person he is, he pulled the car over before answering.

He saw Yukhei’s name on the caller id, made the connection in his head and picked up with

“Hello babysitting emergency line, how can I help you”.

“Wow Mark, that’s lame. But you’re right tho, one of my colleagues is sick so Johnny wants me to stay longer”.

“Okay your emergency will be helped, we’re so thankful you choose to call the babysitting emergency line..” Mark said returning to his role, only to hear Yukhei hang up.

Mark chuckled at that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took him a full 30 minutes to escape from all of Taeyong’s inappropriate questions about a ‘sleepover’ and Mark was exhausted.

To put on top of that, Ash and Mei had been whining about hot chocolate for at least half of that time, Ash also having caught an obsession with the hot liquid ever since he had it at Yukhei’s place.

Mark felt Mei tugging at his sleeve. “We could go to daddy’s work, when I’m there he makes me hot chocolate, so he can make us some’ she said cutely.

And Mark agreed, not at the thought of seeing Yukhei nope definitely not but purely because he’s tired and he doesn’t want to deal with their whining any longer.

As soon as they enter the cafe Mei sprints away clinging herself to a man’s leg while screaming “UNCLE JOHNNY I MISSED YOU”.

Upon hearing his daughters voice Yukhei turned around from the customers he was serving to look at Mark, who put his hands in the air as if to say “It’s not my fault”.

“Where is uncle Yuta?” Mei asked the man Mark assumed was Johnny. “He’s on a date with Winwin” Johnny responded to the now pouting girl.

By now Yukhei was done serving the customers and walked towards Mark. “So?” Yukhei says questioningly.

“They wanted hot chocolate, gave me a headache with their whining and then Mei said we should come here, I wasn’t in the right mind to say no” Mark explains.

Well seat yourselves somewhere, I’ll go make it.” Yukhei says but before he could turn around he was interrupted by Johnny “So this is the dude you won’t stop talking about”.

Johnny took Yukhei’s silence as a confirmation and “Well he is hot and..” Yukhei clamped a hand over Johnny’s mouth dragging him with him before he could do any more damage.

Mark stood there flabbergasted, Yukhei must have meant hot as in body temperature right? Yup, that’s it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It didn’t take long before Yukhei brought their hot chocolate. He also sat himself down at their table taking a break since the café wasn't very crowded anymore.

They casually talked about their day and the whole ‘Taeyong sleepover situation’ until Mei decided to speak up and ask “What is a date?” to which Yukhei answers “That’s when two grown-ups that like each other, do something together” (aka the worst explanation of date ever)

“So you and dad are on a date now” Ash asks confused. “What no” Mark says.

A loud laugh echoes through the café and they look up to find Johnny dying on the floor.

“But you like each other right?” Mei asks equally confused. “Yeah well ehm it’s complicated, that’s why it’s for grownups” Yukhei answers.

They want to protest but Yukhei just looks at them with a look that tells them not to asks any further.

Their chat continues after that until Mark and Ash leave to go home.

Mark goes to the register to pay but Johnny tells him he really doesn’t have to because he hasn’t laughed that hard weeks, so the drinks are free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they are driving home Mark gets a call from his parents so he passes his phone to Ash.

The young boy happily tells his grandparents about his day, before saying the words “Dad went on a date with Yukhei today” and Mark swears he can hear his mother squealing thought the phone.

But he’s driving so he can’t really do anything to correct Ash's statement

Or maybe the idea of dating Yukhei is starting to grow on him and he really doesn’t want to correct it.