Chapter 17

Daddies

Yukhei wakes up with a headache that morning. The questions immediately back in his head. What was he going to do? Could he afford a new apartment? Where there any new apartments available? What if Mei didn’t want to move? What if it was better if his parents raised Mei? It wasn’t but at least they could give her more than he could.

 

He goes to the kitchen and makes breakfast for the both of them. He doesn’t know why he’s up that early but even Mei notices something is up because of it. She looks confused when he wakes her up. It’s always Mei who’s awake earlier than Yukhei so this was strange.

 

“Can’t you sleep daddy?” she asks sleepily. “No princess” Yukhei responds. “Is it because a scary woman, I had a nightmare about one” she says. How Yukhei wishes it was only a nightmare. “Maybe” he answers.

 

They eat their breakfast and get dressed. When they walk towards Mei’s school Yukhei still hasn’t checked the phone that’s now in his pocket. As they come closer to the classroom they see a figure waiting outside of it.

 

For the first time in hours -which was unusual- the smaller one entered his thoughts. Why was he still here? Mei puts her stuff away and sprints into the class. “Mister Taeyong, I'm late because Dora couldn’t solve the mystery so it was a long episode”. Yukhei shakes his head at her words.

 

Before he can even say anything to Mark, his boyfriend grabs his hand and drags him outside. “Are you alright?”. “I think I should be asking you that” Yukhei says as he takes Marks face in his hand and studies the dark circles under his eyes.

 

“No no no, you’re not answering” Mark protest. “Mark I'm fine”. The younger one raises an eyebrow at that. “Then why did you ignore my text and calls all evening” Mark says confused. Oh , he had forgotten about the existence of that thing. “I had an unexpected visitor” he says to Mark.

 

Something in him hopes that the quasi harsh tone he said it with, makes Mark stop firing questions at him while the other part wants to tell him everything, crawl into his arms so Mark can tell him it’s going to be okay.

 

“Who?” Mark asks. The harsh tone only fueling the desire to get the answers. “Yukhei, who the hell visited you last night” Mark shouts. The harder he says it the worse it starts to sound.

 

Mark is aware of the fact that he really doesn’t have the right to know but he just needs to make sure Yukhei isn’t leaving him for someone else. The demons and insecurities he managed to stop last night slowly reappearing again.

 

“Please” he whispers and it comes out as a desperate plea. And that’s all it takes for Yukhei to break. He’s selfish but not selfish enough to hurt Mark. “My mom” Yukhei mumbles.

 

Mark has heard enough about Yukhei’s parents to know that isn’t good news. So he stays silent so Yukhei can continue talking. “She… she made some threats about taking Mei away from me” he softly says as if he thinks that as long as he doesn’t speak out the words they’re not true. But they are and that’s why Yukhei continues telling Mark what exactly happened yesterday evening.

 

He doesn’t know why but after Yukhei’s finished he finds a tear rolling down his cheek while

he really shouldn’t be the one crying. But just the thought of somebody taking Ash away from him is enough to cause it.

 

“So what are you going to do” Mark asks. “I don’t know” Yukhei says while wiping the tears of Mark's cheeks. “One thing is sure, Mei and I have to move” he tells Mark.

 

“Move in with me” the younger one mumbles, sure of his words but scared of the others possible reaction. “What?” Yukhei stammers back. “Move in with me and Ash” Mark says more clearly now.

 

“Baby I can’t” Yukhei responds. “You can’t or you don’t want to?” Mark asks seeing right through Yukhei’s wall of self-protection. “It’s not like I don’t want to but…” Yukhei tries to find the right words but Mark interrupts him. “Then what is stopping you, your habit of solving your problems on your own?” And Yukhei wants to curse because damn the boy knows him way too well.

 

When Yukhei doesn’t respond Mark knows he’s right. “You know we’re in this together right?” Mark says “You help me with my problems and I help you with yours”. “When have I ever helped you” Yukhei says already knowing the answer but he has fixed all his problems on his own all his life so the thought of help is almost scary.

 

“You have such positive effects on me, I even got out of an episode myself yesterday because of you” Mark says almost proudly. “You had an episode yesterday?!” Yukhei almost screams. “That all you got from that?” Mark says. “But how…” Yukhei says because usually his parents or Yukhei had to come over in order to help him.

 

“I don’t really know, I think the thoughts of you and why you weren’t answering my text were more important than that thing” Mark says happily that he finally got some control back.

 

“That’s amazing” Yukhei says. “So is that enough of a reason to move in with me?” Mark says wanting his stubborn to agree, not only because he doesn’t want him to lose custody of Mei but also because the idea of living with Yukhei seems pretty great.

 

“Mark, just you were already reason enough” Yukhei says. “Than it’s settled” Mark says before Yukhei can make some other objection. And Mark drags Yukhei to his house where they do the paper stuff and pack the things Yukhei and Mei have.

They put the stuff in the car and drive to Mark’s - or now their- apartment.

 

“Welcome home” Mark says when he opens the door.

 

Yukhei than realizes it doesn’t matter wherever he will live because home is not a house, no it’s Mark.