Chappter 20

Daddies

Mark doesn’t really know how - or he does but his brain just doesn’t want to progress it - he finds himself in the kitchen wearing an apron just like Yukhei and the kids, getting ready to bake. 

 

This wasn't anything Mark was good at or something he does regularly. Nope, he’s absolutely terrible at anything that happens in a kitchen. The fire alarm almost automatically starts to ring as soon as he even comes close to the kitchen. Overall an absolute disaster. 

 

Luckily for him, his boyfriend is better at things that include a stove, ovens, pans, and knives. His work at the cafe had taught him how to make several types of cookies, cakes, and other desserts and of core the world best hot chocolate. If you'd ask Mark the man deserved a world record for it, but then again maybe he’s a bit biased. 

 

Mark just looks as Yukhei instructs the kids (and him, but mainly the kids because they all know Mark isn’t going to be much help) to wash their hands. Yukhei searched through the cupboards to get everything they could possibly need to make their fortune cookies. 

 

Ever since Taeyong had been teaching the kids about other countries and cultures at school, Mei has been obsessed with everything that screamed China or somehow looks Asian. Meanwhile, Ash couldn’t care less. 

 

So when they went grocery shopping Mei had seen the packaging (of the fortune cookies baking set) with pictures of a Chinese woman on it she decided that they should get that not even caring what has inside of it. Being the typical four-year-old she had asked, whined, and begged for them. At first, they had ignored them as they did with all of Ash and her other pleads for Haribo bears, Dora cookies, plushies, even sesame street toothpaste - although they don’t even watch it anymore - and many other things. 

 

He and Yukhei had decided to buy the fortune cookie mix tho, because they weren’t as unhealthy or ridiculously overpriced as some of the other thing they had wanted. And from now on when they would go grocery shopping again, they could just say that they had bought them the fortune cookie mix in the hope that would make shopping easier for at least some weeks. 

 

But back to the kitchen where Yukhei and the kids had already started working on the batter and Mark was just standing around trying to minimize the mess they were making while occasionally taking a couple pictures because it just looked too cute. 

 

“Mark” “Yeah?” mark says questioningly because what on earth could Yukhei want him to do without ruining the whole thing. “Do you want to taste some batter?” Yukhei asks holding up a spoon. “Fine” Mark says as he makes his way over to Yukhei. At least he could do something now. Instead of fully putting the spoon into Mark’s mouth, Yukhei made sure to smear some of the batter around his mouth which caused big laughs from the kids and of course Yukhei himself. 

 

Mark let out a grunt of annoyance “Now I have more to clean up” he protests. “Then I’ll help you” Yukhei tells him as he wipes some batter of his cheek and puts it into his mouth. The action leaves Mark blushing furiously. “Is that enough for you or do I also need to help you some more” Yukhei teasing wiggling his brows. Mark slaps him on his arm. “NO you can continue making the fortune cookies with THEM” the shorter one says reminding Yukhei that they’re not alone here. 

 

“Right..” Yukhei responds and he and the kids continue the baking process by putting the batter onto the baking paper. “Why is that one so far away from all the others?” Mark asks pointing the dot of batter Yukhei placed on the opposite side of the rest of the cookies. “That one just wants a bit more personal space” Yukhei answers and Mark snorts because it’s kinda ridiculous. 

 

They start writing the ‘messages’ onto little pieces of paper while the fortune cookies are in the oven. “What do we need to write?’ Mei asks. “Whatever you want princess” Yukhei tells her. It wasn’t like two four-year-olds were going to come up with some inspiring or advice like messages anyway. 

 

It doesn’t take much longer until the alarm from the oven rings. “What is that, are we going to die?” Ash asks having never heard the alarm of an oven before. (since Mark had never used it before because he didn’t want to burn the house down). “No dummy that means the cookies are ready” Mei answers. 

 

Yukhei takes them out of the oven and they quickly - or as quickly as it goes with two hyperactive kids- fold the papers into the dough. “Can we eat them now?’ Ash asks feeling that after this much work he totally deserves one. “We need to let them cool down for a while” Mark tells him much to Yukhei’s surprize. “I didn’t expect you to know that” he teases. “I didn’t, but I’m capable of reading the instructions” Mark tells him making Yukhei laugh. 

 

They play memory while they let the fortune cookies cool down. “Ash, did you lose something again, or are you trying to take another sneak peek at the cards?” Mark asks his son as he’s trying once again to look through to glass table to see what’s on the cards. “I dropped a bit of air” Ash says with a serious face. “Okay then, we wouldn’t want cheaters in this house” Mark says back with a just as serious tone. “No” Ash says softly as he goes back to his seat immediately. 

 

When they have cooled down enough they walk - or the kids run, and mark walks fast to keep up with Yukhei’s long legs- to the kitchen. Mei and Ash impatiently wait for Yukhei to hand them a cookie. They quickly break it get the pieces of paper out, don’t really read them and stuff the rest into their mouths. “Can we go and play now?” Ash asks. Mark nods and the kids take off. 

 

Mark goes to grab one of the remaining cookies but Yukhei quickly snatches it away. “You can have that one” he says motioning to the fortune cookie on the other side of the plate. Mark raises an eyebrow but grabs the cookie. They break their cookies. Yukhei lets out a chuckle and Mark guesses he probably has one of the ‘messages’ written by one of the kids. 

 

But Mark couldn’t laugh about his ‘message’ or well he kinda could, maybe even should but he couldn’t say anything. He was shocked, actually was he? No, he wasn’t, he just hadn’t expected it. It was something he knew, he had realized quite a while ago that something had changed but apparently he hadn’t been the only one. On Mark’s note were three simple words in handwriting that he definitely recognized: “I love you”. Now Yukhei’s efforts to keep that one fortune cookie apart made sense. 

 

Mark looked up from the paper to find Yukhei already looking at him, gently smiling -when not- which made him blush. He hid his face behind his hands to try to hide the blush on his face. “I love you too” he mumbled from behind his hands. “What did you say? I could not hear you since you have hands in front of your mouth.” Yukhei said and Mark knew from the tone of his voice that his boyfriend had heard every word he said but just wanted to . 

 

He slowly removed his hands to find Yukhei standing in front of him. “Now what were you saying?” asked a smiling Yukhei as Mark finally dared to look in his eyes. “I love you too” 

Mark said again, this time with more confidence earning a big smile from both of them. They had just enough time to sneak in a few kisses before the kids came back running from their room “Can we go on the tablet?”. 


 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

That weekend they find themselves in Yukhei’s car jamming out to SHINee songs as they drove to the amusement. park. Both Mark and Yukhei had gotten a summer bonus so they had some extra money to do some fun things. It resulted in their first family trip (the visits to McDonald's don’t count). 

 

When they arrived they got their tickets and made their way into the park. Their first stop is the toilets because you can’t risk anything with two four-year-olds. Next stop is the carousel. The sight of Yukhei -a tall dude- on a tiny horse is enough to give Mark trouble staying seated on his horse because he’s laughing so hard. 

 

They were standing in line for the Ferris wheel. The line was long and the sun was trying to burn them alive but hey at least it wasn’t pouring. Mei and Ash were stuffing their mouths with their sandwich while Mark was holding onto some napkins praying they wouldn’t dirty their clothes 

 

Upon seeing that Yukhei was thinking that yes, they really have become one of those families. He with his backpack filled with water bottles, juice packs, sweets, sandwiches, and sunscreen. And then there was Mark with his map of the park who decided where to go but did you hear him complain? Hello no. 

 

“Babe do you have some…” Mark didn’t even get to finish his sentence because Yukhei was already handing him a bottle of water. “It’s so hot” Mark says adjusting Mei’s cap (he doesn’t want any burned kids) and taking a gulp. “Thanks and the weather to really” Yukhei responds teasing Mark. Which resulted in Mark giving the kids a shower with the water he was drinking. 

 

After he’s done laughing Yukhei just keeps looking at Mark. “What, do I have something on my face?” Mark asks. “Nothing I just love you” Yukhei responds casually. Mark blushes as he mumbles the words back still feeling a bit embarrassed. “I love you” Yukhei says again and Mark says it back again -of course- they go on like that for a while until the kids get annoyed because of it. 

 

“You said I’m not a parrot and that I shouldn’t repeat people so why are you repeating Yukhei” Ash protest. Earning laughs for the adults. 

The laughter was interrupted when they heard a voice behind them say “Hi Mark”. Had this happened months ago Mark would have stirred, or run away maybe he even would have collapsed on the floor in utter shock and confusion. 

 

But he isn’t the same person anymore, he’s better now. So instead of doing one of those things he slowly turns around (he has to be careful he’s not imagining it) and politely responds with “Hello Katie”. The sound of that name coming out of Mark’s mouth makes Yukhei directly look at him to check if he’s really okay. Mark just nods at him as a confirmation. 

 

“I see you’re doing well” Katie concludes motioning to Yukhei and the kids. “Yes, I am” Mark states “In fact, I’m the best I’ve ever been”. He doesn't know why but Katie seems to flinch at that. He doesn’t ask the question back, not because he wants to be rude but simply because he doesn’t care anymore. Any neither shouldn’t he. He doesn’t love her anymore, not one bit. Any chances to stay friends she had ruined a long time ago. His heart has been fully captured by the man that was currently standing next to him. 

 

“Bye Katie” he says not waiting for her to respond as he turns around. He feels Yukhei grab his hand as he tells him “It's our turn for the ride now”. And Mark realizes that, yes it was their time to enjoy the ride of life and he wouldn’t get off as long as Yukhei, Mei and Ash would be with him.