The Gift

The Strongest Bond

 

The class had decided to go downtown together after school and make a day of it, get something to eat and shop and hang out afterwards. It was the last opportunity before everyone got too busy preparing for the upcoming exams. One last treat before being locked up in study prison.

“I'm sorry, I have to feed the animals, my dad's away so I'm in charge of the farm.” Jongin told them apologetically. Half the class moaned in protest.

“Sehun-ah, come on, let's get going.” he turned to Sehun, who folded his arms like a little brat, brandishing a fresh pout.

“I want to go with them. Can't we just go with them?” Sehun complained.

“And what... leave the animals to starve?” Jongin replied.

“No..” Sehun frowned, drawing circles on the floor with the tip of his shoe. “But it's not like we both have to be there to feed them.” he rolled his eyes, clearly implying that Jongin could go back alone.

“Have you forgotten the bond? We can't be too far apart from each other, else I'll faint.” Jongin said a little too harshly. He was kind of hurt that Sehun wanted to go without him.

“I think it'll be okay, if we're both fine with it.” Sehun said. Was that how it worked? All the times Jongin had fainted was when Sehun didn't want to be parted with him. No, could it be? That was one manipulative bond! And if Sehun knew that was why he was fainting, why didn't he tell him?

Sehun looked at him with the prettiest puppy eyes, the anticipation dancing in his eyes.

It was hard to resist. Jongin could feel his defenses falter. It was just ironic that the moment Jongin stopped fighting whatever it was that was between them, embracing it instead, wanting to be together, then Sehun suddenly stopped being so clingy and even wanted to get away from him. It was kind of unfair, he thought.

But on the other hand, this was Sehun's first time as a student at an Earth school. He had never ever experienced an after school class hangout. Jongin couldn't bear to take that away from him.

“Fine... fine... go then..” Jongin waved him away, wanting to look happy for him, but failing completely. Jongin wanted to go with him, but he couldn't ignore his responsibilities at home.

Sehun and the rest of the class started heading out, but as Sehun exited the room he grabbed his chest. Jongin felt it too. The pull was strong. It hurt. The bond didn't stretch that far. It was at its limit.

Sehun jogged back towards him.

“You don't really want me to go, do you?” Sehun wrinkled his eyebrows so they looked angry, huffing and puffing in disappointed frustration.

Sehun was right, he really didn't. But apparently his feelings had to be true, for this to work. If it worked at all. Maybe it was just something that Sehun was making up.

“What more can I do? I told you it was okay... but, my heart doesn't feel the same. I just want to be with you.” Jongin sighed, putting all his cards on the table.

“Aww.” Sehun giggled, giving him a great, big hug.

“I still want to go though.” Sehun murmured into Jongin's ear. Jongin got goose bumps.

There was something about Sehun, he just made you want to do anything to make him happy.

“Go.. just go... I mean it this time. Have fun. I'll see you at home.” Jongin smiled, planting a light kiss on Sehun's lips since the classroom was empty and no one was around.

“Hurry up, or you won't be able to catch up with the others.” Jongin waved him away.

 

Jongin just sat there, on top of his desk, waiting for the bond to kick in, but it didn't. However, the moment he got disappointed that it wasn't working, the mark started bothering him. He couldn't allow himself to feel upset about this, because then the mark would call Sehun back. Jongin really did want Sehun to have fun with the others. Just not too much fun.

 

Alone, Jongin dragged himself home to do his chores. He tried not to think about Sehun too much, because if he did, he started missing him, which would put strain on the bond.

 

Two hours later, Sehun came flying through the stable door and jumped straight into his arms, even though Jongin was carrying a heavy bundle of hey.

“I've been looking everywhere for you!” Sehun said out of breath.

“Your arms look really cool when you carry stuff.” Sehun chuckled, touching Jongin's clenched biceps. “Wow. It's like touching a rock.” Sehun snickered, fascinated.

“Are you done now, are you done? I've got something for you.” Sehun told him, his gravelly voice dancing with excitement. Jongin got an attack of the butterflies, wondering what Sehun's surprise could possibly be.

“Let me just finish this real quick.” Jongin gave the remaining horses their hey while Sehun chanted 'Are you ready now? How about now? When will you be done? Are you done now?'.

 

“Did you miss me?” Jongin asked softly on their way back to the house.

“No.” Sehun said, but couldn't maintain a straight face for more than a millisecond, giggling brattily.

Jongin teasingly stuck his tongue out at Sehun, feeling through the bond how much Sehun had missed him. It was a lot, but not half as much as Jongin had missed him.

“Did you at least have fun with everyone?” Jongin asked so he wouldn't look like a sore looser.

 

 

“So, what have you got for me?” Jongin asked, excited. He had no idea what to expect.

The living room table had disappeared under a mountain of candy Sehun had apparently bought.

“Whoa!” Jongin reached for a piece of wrapped chocolate. “Wait how did you get the money...”.

“No!! That's mine!” Sehun grabbed the chocolate piece and hurried up and ate it before Jongin could say anything.

“I thought that was for me?” Jongin asked confused.

“No, not that!” Sehun snorted like Jongin was being ridiculously clueless.

“This is for you.” Sehun handed him a tiny box. It kind of looked like a jewelry box. Maybe Sehun had won it in one of those turn-a-knob-and-get-a-random-surprise-gift machines, or the claw machine.

Jongin slowly opened it, gasping in surprise.

It was a necklace with a huge, blue stone that was almost in the same shape as their mark.

“How... what.... when... How could you afford this? I only gave you 20 thousand won?!” Jongin looked at it, baffled. It looked real. And it looked very expensive.

“Oh, I have more.” Sehun dug out a big wad of 10 thousand won notes out of his pocket.

“Where did all this money come from?” Jongin stared at him with his mouth open.

“I made it.” Sehun smirked.

“You what?” Jongin did a double take.

“You didn't give me enough, so I just made more.” Sehun grinned, not seeing the problem.

“You... you made the money? H..how?” Jongin was almost too afraid to ask.

“I just used the replicator, I had one in the ship and luckily I put it in my pocket this morning, just in case I needed it.” Sehun gave him one of his overly crooked smiles. That cute troublemaker.

“Wait... you mean... you made copies... of the money I gave you.” Jongin asked apprehensively.

“Yeah! Why are you always asking the same thing over and over again?!” Sehun just shrugged.

“No!! Crap! And you used it to pay for all this??!?” Jongin started panicking. Sehun had counterfeited money. And used it as real money!

Sehun nodded, super proud.

“That's illegal!! You could go to jail for that!” Jongin exclaimed, in complete shock.