Blooming flowers

An Unnamed Relationship

Today is the start of weekend and Hana begged Sehun to accompany her for grocery shopping.

Sehun was sitting on a bench, watching the students playing soccer. It was recess, and Hana came out of nowhere with a bottle of lemonade. He wondered what she wanted, and now he knew.

“And why should I do that?”

“Because I like you.” Hana grinned at him playfully. She sat by his side, glancing to the boys who were playing soccer on the field.

“That’s your problem, not mine. And there’s no relation between those two.”

“What if I got kidnapped by a bad man while going alone?”

“The man must be out of his mind to kidnap you, out of other girls available.” Sehun answers, shooking his head in disbelief.

“I’ve been daydreaming about going on a date with you. Can’t you just help me turns those into a reality?”

“I’m shook at how thick your skin is. You confessed to me bluntly is one thing, and now you’re dragging me into your imaginations. Let me tell you something, you’re the one who has a crush on me. That’s your business and I don’t wish to interfere.”

“Are you saying that you don’t have the slightest feeling towards me?”

Hana asked as she bend her body to take a closer look to his face. Sehun turned to his side and his nose meet hers. Electricity sparks from the sudden touch and Sehun quickly pulls away from her.

“This girl! Watch your distance, will you?”

Hana blushed at the sudden interactions and she scooted away from him. She cleared in awkwardness.

“Are you trying to take advantage on me now?”, Sehun try to keep calm as his heart beats out of normal pace.

“Sor-Sorry.. It was an accident. You should’ve avoided that. Anyways, I’ll wait for you tomorrow on 8 am under our apartment.” She said before standing up from the bench and walked away.

“Look at this girl’s attitude.” Sehun sighed as he watched her walking back to her class.

Hana arrives early and waits for him under their apartment. She observes her reflection on the glass window of the security hut. The guard inside giggles seeing her turning around checking her dress and hair. The window is dark from outside, so only people from inside can see what’s happening outside. Hana who certainly did not know about this, continues to check her beige mini flowy dress that covers until her knees. She ties her hair up on the left side in ponytail and finishes it off with a red hairband.

“I think I look cute. I wonder if Sehun would like this too.”, Hana chuckles as she turns around once more in front of the glass window.

“What are you doing?”

Hana got startled by Sehun’s sudden appearances that she jumps a bit. Sehun wears a simple black shirt with jeans, but he still looks dashing as usual. His milky skin looks brighter today with the black shirt he wears. He also has a crossbody bag that completes his look.

“Y-you came.”, Hana stutters as she can stop staring at him. She’s enchanted by him and she can’t help but to squeal inside like a fangirl.

Sehun did not want to come, but her puppy eyes keep haunting him throughout the night. He figured that she will be waiting for him for the whole day if he didn’t come. That’s how Hana is. She’s naïve, and persistent. Sehun remembered there was this one time she asks him to have dinner together. She cooked by herself and waited for him in front of his house door. Sehun forgot to inform her that he has to stay late to help the teacher with a project. He thought she will just go home if she knew he wasn’t at home. He came back by midnight and found her sitting with both legs near her chest. She rested her head on her knees, sleeping soundly. He was surprised how she could sleep just anywhere and are fearless.

He woke her up and she greeted him brightly even in her sleepy state. She even apologized that the food had cooled down, that’s how simple-minded Hana is. And they end up eating together right there, in front of his doorsteps, in the middle of midnight. Despite that, he saw Hana enjoyed time spent with him. Seeing her like that, his heart softened. He couldn’t turn her down. So here he is, unknowingly walking towards her.

“Are we going to stand here and stare at each other for the whole day?” Sehun asks flatly when she didn’t respond.

Hana snaps out from staring at him and lets out a nervous giggle.

“Of course, no. We are going for grocery shopping. Let’s go.” Hana walks first as she feels embarrassed being exposed staring at him.

“I’ve never seen people wearing a dress to the mini mart. You look like an elementary school kid.” He comments as they walk together. He took glances on her from time to time, and he admitted, she looks cute.

“Does that mean I look cute?”, Hana brightly turns to him as she expects him to praise her.

“Whatever you think.” Sehun shrugs, and Hana grinned in pure happiness. He didn’t deny it, he must think that I look cute, or at least decent.

Time passed by, and they arrived at the mart. It wasn’t far from their apartment. They finish shopping in a short time and stops by a dessert café.

Sehun stares at her shopping bag. She just bought a packet of flour, sugar and a loaf of bread.

“When you said grocery shopping, I thought you have a lot to buy. Maybe an entire trolley, or at least a bucket.”, he comments and Hana chuckles upon it.

“My grandmother asked for these. Actually, this is just an excuse. I just want to spend time with you.”

“I knew that much. I can read through you.”

“But you came along. Does that mean that you are…”

“Don’t think too much. Your small head will explode.” Sehun cuts her off before she can assume anything.

“You’re so mean.” Hana pouts away and she sticks her tongue out at him. Sehun can only shakes his head at her childish act.

Just then, the red velvet cake they order arrives along with beverages. Hana excitedly picks her spoon and starts digging in. Sehun lightly smiles seeing her contented face and starts eating his cake. He’s observing her and notices that while sitting, her skirt shortened above her knees revealing her skin. He’s thinking how to cover them when he hears people giggling and whispering. He turns to the side and finds a group of boys sitting not far from them. They were staring at her and Sehun starts to feel agitated.

“Why do you have to wear that dress today?” Sehun unknowingly blurts his mind out.

Hana looks up to him and follows his gaze on her lap. She gasps to see that the dress shortened a lot and she pulls it down, adjusting to cover her lap.

“It’s because I’m sitting.”

“Don’t wear dresses or skirts after this.”

“Do I look bad with it?”

“Yes, your calf is quite chubby and my eyes will rot by the sight of it.”

Sehun is upset so he blurts nonsense. Hana frowns at his statement. Why would his eyes rot to see my calf?

The boys won’t stop staring and Sehun can’t wait anymore. Their whispers and chuckles put him on edge. He stands from his seat and went to their table. He slammed his hand on their table in anger. Hana who is taken aback by his sudden act, follows after him.

“What are you staring at?” He asked, toneless. His face flushed in red and his veins on the neck pops out.

Hana goes to him and grabs his arm.

“What are you doing, let’s go. People are watching.”

“We didn’t do anything.” A boy answers, slightly smirking while exchanging glances with his friends.

“You stared at her.”, Sehun states while glaring at him.

“There’s nothing to see anyway.”

As soon as the boy said that, Sehun punches him on his face. They boy stumbles backwards from the impact and his friends become panic as they check on him. Hana’s eyes become wider and form an O from the sudden blow. Sehun is about to give a second blow when Hana blocks him by hugging his arms tightly, closing her eyes.

“Stop it, Sehun!”

Sehun stops at her commands, but he glares at the boys.

“Don’t let me see you again. You won’t see tomorrow if we’ll ever meet again.” Sehun says before he pulls Hana by her wrist, picks their things and left the scene.

Hana is scared to say anything, she can only gazes at his red knuckles as they walk.

“I’m sorry.” Hana blurts out eventually and Sehun didn’t respond. He’s still holding on to her wrist, practically dragging her.

“Are you angry at me now?” She tries again to make him talk.

He didn’t respond again, and Hana halted on her tracks, struggling to pull her wrist off his grip. Sehun stops walking too since she freezes on a spot. Sehun does not let her go, but he gazes on her. He inhales for a moment before he exhales to calm his temper down.

“I’m sorry I made you scared. I’m just upset at the boys. I’m not mad at you.”

Sehun speaks gently, while he pats her head with his other hand.

Hana feels her heart stops beating at the moment. She is completely taken aback by the sudden skinship. Sehun’s gaze softens on her and she feels her heart flutters.

“It-It’s okay. I should’ve worn better. By the way, did you just pet my hair?”, she blurts out the question she’s been asking in her head.

“That’s because you’re so loud. I need to calm you down.” Sehun answers as he let go of her hand and continues walking. Hana blinks in confusion before she catches up to him.

Sehun controls from facepalming himself at his own words. He could not believe he did that and those words, he doubts it came from his own lips. I’m in a big problem. I started to care on her, I actually want to protect her. Did I grow fond of her? Why did I pat her hair? Sehun, it’s not your fault, she just looks like a puppy so intuitively you would pat her. Argh, I don’t know.

Hana is still confused but she keeps quiet anyways, didn’t want Sehun to suddenly pats her hair again. Her heart will stop beating.

He’s getting weirder. Is it because of the cake we ate earlier?

..

It’s a study week before the test takes place in the following week, and everyone is preparing for the test. Except Hana, of course. She’s daydreaming as usual, doodling in her exercise book. Gina glances over her and smile in amusement. She continues doing her work, frowning each time she finds a hard question.

“Gina, are your family doing well nowadays?” Hana asks without looking at Gina, she’s concentrating on her doodles.

Hana knew that Gina’s family is having financial problem and she feels bad for her. She didn’t want to show that she cares that much, fearing it will make Gina feels uncomfortable.

“Yes, it’s getting better. My mother did well in running her stall, the money received was enough to cover everything.”

“That’s good. Don’t worry, you’ll be just fine. I can’t help you that much, but I can give you a lot of social support. Like hugs and kisses?” Hana sends out a flying kiss towards Gina and she chuckles at her cute gesture.

“Yes, sure. I know you’re good in that.”

“How lucky to be you. You don’t have to study at all. I wonder what’s in your head.”

Hana looks up to find three girls standing beside her desk. It is her classmates, Hana remembers the one who’s talking. Her name is Su Yeon and Hana wasn’t fond of her. She always makes her do the daily duties in her place and sometimes make her a runner to buy food.

“Stay behind and help me today. It’s my turn today to clean our class.” Su Yeon said as she leans against Hana’s desk.

“I can’t, today. I have plans with someone.”, Hana answers as she remembers Sehun said he’s going to the bookstore today. Even though he didn’t ask her to go with him, she will follow him along as usual. She’s sure Sehun won’t mind.

The girl snorts as she exchanges glance with her friends.

“Are you saying no to my commands?”

“Yah, we are studying here. Leave her alone.” Gina interrupts as she sees Hana fidgeting uncomfortably.

“You, come outside.” Su Yeon glares at Gina and points her finger to the outside of the class. She then walks away first, waiting for Hana outside.

“Don’t go. She won’t be able to do anything. I’ll back you up.” Gina stops Hana from going outside but Hana urges her to stay seated.

“You go ahead and study. I’ll manage, don’t worry.”

Hana goes outside to meet Su Yeon who’s standing on the empty hallways. They then drag her to somewhere a bit secluded from the main classes, under a staircase.

“Are you disobeying me now?”

Hana clasp her hands together anxiously.

“I have plans after school.”

“What plans?” Su Yeon inches closer and Hana takes a step backwards.

“I’m going to a bookstore with Sehun.”

The girl chuckles in amusement.

“Don’t lie. All students here knew Sehun. He won’t hang out with someone like you.”

“Sehun is not like that. He’s nice to me.”

“Yah, don’t get too ahead by yourself. He doesn’t like you, he won’t. You don’t realize it, don’t you? He treats you as a toy. You’re wrapped around his fingers, at his beck and call.”

“You don’t know anything.” Hana is getting upset by her words. She hates that Su Yeon seems to be right.

“Instead of clinging to him shamelessly, stay to clean up our class. I’ll pay you.”

Hana stares into Su Yeon’s eyes and the judging eyes make her feel downgraded. Su Yeon’s looking down on her, and Hana hates the feeling.

“Why didn’t you answer? Is it because I’m right? You do know he’s not interested in you.”

“Who cares? I just like him that much, so I’ll just stick around him.”

“This rude girl. How dare you talk back to me. Know your place and wake up. A thoughtless person like you must have a hard time to digest all of this.”

Hana looks down as her head becomes heavier. She cannot handle the pressure.

“You are the one who should know your place and wake up.”

Both of the girls turn around to Sehun who have been eavesdropping on their conversations for quite some time. Just now Gina rushes to his class and told him to find Hana. So he did.

“Sehun!” Hana exclaimes brightly in delight. There comes my savior.

Sehun reckoned her to come closer to him, so she did.

“I just pity you that much Hana-yah. Look, he’s got you under his spell. You’re being used.”

Su Yeon said, folding her arms together on her chest.

“I think that has nothing to do with you at all.” Sehun glares at her as he says that.

“I’m very upset because you’ve been using her too much. Let’s take turns, will you? She used to obey me before she got close to you.”

Hana was about to speak when Sehun grabs her arm, signaling her to not talk.

“Go back to the class. The teacher’s coming in. You’ll get into trouble if you don’t go now.”

Hana blinks at him and Su Yeon back and forth.

“Go now. We’ll meet after class.” Sehun forces on and Hana reluctantly leaves.

“Do you enjoy using her that much?”, she asks after Hana left them.

“A toy can only have one owner. Since I own her now, take your hands off her.”

“See? I knew you’re playing around with her. Don’t you think that’s just mean?”

“As I said before, that’s between us. My feeling towards her is way more complicated than that. And I don’t feel the need to explain that to you. It might be too much for your head. You can’t even do your homework by yourself, bullying others to do it for you. Just take care of your dumb life.”

Sehun walks away immediately after that and she gritted her teeth in anger. Although she’s upset, she can’t say anything to that Mighty Sehun. She knew how cold he is and that she better finds a new target instead of Hana.

 

Sehun waited for her as promised after school ended and Hana grins at the sight of him.

“What did you two talked about after I left?”, Hana asks as they are walking to exit the school gate.

“We’re counting your brain capacity and brainstorming on how to make it works efficiently.”

“Yah, I’m serious here.” Hana lightly hits him by the arm and he swiftly pull her to walk on the inside of the road instead of the outside because of the passing cars.

“Walk inside, you might get hit by a car.” He says as he watches out for the car passing by. Hana’s heart jumps a bit by his gesture and a smile creeps on her face.

“I told you not to think with that small head of yours.”

“She said that I’m being used by you. That I’m a fool.”

“Do you believe her?”

“I do think I’m a fool. I don’t think much and acts recklessly. I must have annoyed you very much.”, Hana fidgets with her fingers, looking down in guilty.

“Seeing you knew that much, you’re not that stupid. And, it’s better than bullying others to do things. That’s much more annoying.”

“Does that mean that I’m better than her?”

“Way much better.”

“If you said it that way, I’ll believe you then. If you told me not to believe her words, then I won’t.” Hana smiles as she glances at him once. She’s happy at how Sehun turns into a warm person while being with her.

“Next week is the test week. I haven’t studied a thing.” Hana pouts as she sways her arms forth and back.

“That’s nothing new. I’ve never seen you studying.”

“But I want to get a good result this time. Can you tutor me?”

Sehun widens his eyes upon her words.

“What, no! “

“Pleaseeee. Just this one time.”

“You don’t really wish to study, don’t you? It must be one of your imaginations to study with me. You are imagining how you will fall asleep while doing questions, and I will gaze on you lovingly and sweetly. Am I right?”

Hana grins awkwardly at his accurate assumption. How did he know that?

“I can read through you. So stop thinking about things like that.”

While talking, they arrive at the bookstore and Sehun starts searching for the books he needs. He goes to a shelf, picking a book and flipping through the pages. Hana sees him, and she copies what he did. She finds it hard to understand the book, those physics jargon is very hard for her. She closes the book and goes to the comic section. She came back a while with a comic, reading it while standing near Sehun who’s still looking over the books.

“Sehun-ah.” She calls out for him and he hums in respond, with his eyes on the book. She smiles as she thinks of a great idea. She glances over to the spaces between books on the shelf and grins excitedly.

“Don’t move.” She says to Sehun and goes to the other side of the shelf. She moves the books on the shelf so that there will be spaces to see Sehun on the other side.

“Oh, sunbae. I don’t know we’ll meet here. Do you come here often?”, Hana says playfully as she tries to set up a scenario from the dramas she’s been watching.

Sehun turns to her once and resumes looking at the book he’s holding.

“Play along, will you?’, Hana pouts when he ignores her.

“You’re an unexpected person. You sure know how to play around.” Sehun closes the book he’s holding and he place it on the space at shelf, blocking him from seeing Hana.

Hana gritted her teeth in annoyance and she goes on to follow him. He picks a book and goes to sit in the reading section. He places the book on the table and starts reading. Hana follows him and sit across from him.

“This is so boring.” Hana blurts out as she waits for Sehun to respond.

“I don’t ask you to come here in the first place.”, he replies coldly.

Hana bit her lower lip in frustration of his cold attitude.

“You’re studying this hard, what is your ambition?”, Hana asks after a long silence.

“A doctor. And for a person who doesn’t study at all, what is your ambition?”, Sehun returns the question with his eyes on the book.

“I want to marry you.”

Sehun lift his head from the book, gazing on her unexpected answer.

“I’m crazy to ask you that. You are always fooling around.”

“I’m not. Why did you belittle my ambition? I just want to be a good wife, and a good mom. I want to take care of people I love. Can’t that be my ambition? Do it have to be those glamorous jobs like doctors, engineers, officers?”

Sehun is taken aback by her unexpected answer, and his heart beats faster suddenly.

“Love is not that easy. If you keep taking things as light as that, you will regret it. The reality is different. My parents love each other, but why did they ended up breaking apart into complete stranger? I’m telling you, people change.” Sehun’s voice turns icy cold as he remembers his past.

“And if you take life that hard, you won’t enjoy the journey of your life. You can’t be happy because you keep thinking of the ending. People do change, feelings, too but isn’t it important to cherish what we have at the moment?”

Sehun didn’t answer and Hana knew she had made him feels upset, but she needs to speak of what she thinks.

“I know you are angry at me right now. I know you dislike me clinging on to you. But what can I do? I can only see you, I can only hear your voice amidst the crowd. I don’t know about the future, but I do know that up to this moment, I like you. I do not wish you to return my feelings, I just want to be by your side as long as I can. You’re right, I’m the one who has a crush on you. So, I’ll do what I what and you do what you want.”, Hana finishes her sentences and grabs her backpack. She slings it on her left shoulder and rises up from her seat.

“I’ll go home first. Take your time here.”

Hana turns around but stops midway as Sehun tugs on her bag. She turns around, and Sehun has already standing beside her.

“You sure can talk well. It might be better if you are that good in your study. I’m going to pay for this book, so wait outside. We’ll grab some dinner on our way home.” Sehun calmly speaks and he walks over to the counter.

Sehun feels guilty to raise his voice towards her. He admits what she said is right and that she has been so kind towards him. He likes how she still speaks her mind even though her eyes were trembling while she tries to maintain her eyes contact with him. She’s being transparent and is not pretentious, that’s why he’s feeling comfortable being around her.

Hana freezes on the spot, unable to process what is exactly happening.

He sure is weird. He’s cold at times, and warm after that. Did he purposely ask me to wait so that he can hit me up on our way home? Her mind starts to wander around nonsense thoughts.

“What are you waiting for? Do I have to knock you until you lose consciousness and drags you home?”

Sehun’s voice brings her to the reality and she quickly moves to exit the book store.

“You’re quite unexpected. You’re not that bad, after all. I’m all scared just now in case you would grab me by the collar.”, Hana comments as she walks beside him, grinning.

“You’re more unexpected. At times, you act like a reckless and thoughtless girl, and other times you speak like a grown up.” He responds back to her.

“That’s my charm. You’re hooked up, right? You are attracted to me, don’t you?” Hana points playfully to him, giggling.

“You’re going back to your normal self, I guess.” Sehun shrugs, hiding a smile.

Maybe, Kim Hana. Maybe I did.