Lesson Learnt

An Unnamed Relationship

Hana at last finds an opportunity to talk with Gina during the lunch. Hana was observing Gina all along, she noticed how Gina was absurdly quiet today. Her face is gloomy, and she looks like she’s in her own world. Hana waited for Gina to exit the class first, and Hana followed after her quietly. Hana frowns when she realized Gina is going the opposite way from the canteen where everyone flocks to.

“Hana. “

She is tailing on to Gina when a fellow classmate is running after her and Hana was startled by the sudden greet.

“Where are your exercise books? You need to turn it in before lunch.”

Hana bit her lower lips anxiously.

Come on, this is not the time for that. Since when did I submit my homework? I got zero, anyways.

“It’s on my desk. I’m sorry, but I’m in a hurry so can you just pick it up yourself?”

“Alright.” The girl turns away and Hana turns back to the hallway Gina walked just now. She wasn’t there anymore, of course.

Hana immediately walks down the hallway, guessing which way would Gina went to. She checks every room, but there are no traces of Gina. Hana keeps searching until she reaches the end of hallway, towards a room. She looks around and realized that there are no people in sight. Despite being a scaredy cat, she forces herself to the room. The room door creaks as she slides it open and Hana gasps at the horror in front of her. Gina is in a sitting position, leaning against the old wall helplessly. There’s a knife lying not far from her and the blade are smeared in red blood. Hana’s gazes trail over to Gina’s white shirt that was stained with blots of blood. It was all over her skirt, too.

Did she….

Hana goes into a state of shock, her feet were glued to the ground as she’s trying to deny the scene. Gina’s heavy breathing echoes all over the room and Hana immediately runs to Gina’s side in a panic state. Hana’s legs give away when she sees the source of blood is coming from Gina’s left wrist, she plops to the floor.

Hana burst into tears as she holds on Gina’s arm.

“What are you doing? Why did you do this to yourself?!”, Hana quickly scans around for a piece of cloth or something to stop the blood. She searches her pocket and finds a handkerchief. She pulls it out and with trembling hands, she tied it to Gina’s wound. She stumbles to properly ties the end because her hand is trembling so much. Gina’s blood smeared all over her hand and onto her white sleeves.

Hana turns to Gina and finds that she’s staring at her, with half of her lids are closed. Gina’s is about to lose consciousness and Hana quickly cups Gina’s face in her hands and taps her cheeks lightly.

“Yah, don’t fall asleep. I beg you, keep awake. You can’t do this! Wake up!”

What should I do now? Should I… Yes, phone! The ambulance!

Hana pulls away from Gina and starts to search her pocket for mobile phone. Hana put away strands of hair that blocks her view and some of the blood on her hand sticks to her face in the process.

With one hand, Hana reaches out for her phone in the uniform’s pocket. She stumbles to grab the phone with her trembling hands. She dials frantically as if her life depends on it and she place the phone on her right ears, her eyes are on Gina.

“I need an ambulance! My friend’s dying, please come immediately!” She told them her school address and as soon as the call disconnected, she keeps her phone in place and focuses on Gina. Her face has become so pale and Hana’s fear intensifies at the sight.

“Go away..” Gina’s words come out almost as a whisper as she stares at her lifelessly.

“Yah, you wench brat! Are you going to end your life like this? After what you had done to me?!” Hana shouts in frustration.

“Let me die. I have done you wrong.” , Gina responds with a fading tone, trying hard to even open as her face turns paler with time.

“This is not the time to do this! Gina! You must hold on, you have no right to take your own life like this! I said I’m at fault so please don’t do this to me!” Hana screams frantically, she loses her insanity at the moment. Hana sobs uncontrollably as she cries with all of her heart. The last time she cried like that was when her mother passed away. The exact pain at that time, came alive in her. She’s having a hard time to breathe, and her head starts to throb in pain.

Please, hold on. Hold on. Don’t leave.

“I’m not going to let you leave like this! You have to be responsible for what you did, and pays the price! Don’t you dare to close your eyes, I’ll find you in the afterlife and drags you back here you brat!”

Hana is breathing heavily due to all those mixed feelings inside her. The combinations were so wrong, it suffocates her intensely. She tries to keep calm as her whole body is shivering. She’s in a great fear, she doesn’t know what to do next. Her head feels like it is going to explode any time, and the sight of blood makes her feel dizzy.

Just then, the door was opened from the outside and two man dressed in white came inside with a stretcher and a kit. Hana feels a big relief washes over as the two man quickly attends to Gina.

“Please save my friend!”, she tells them as the two paramedic members gives a basic aid to stop the blood before they take her away with the stretcher.

Another man in white came inside with a blanket and he attends to Hana, who are unable to stand on her weak knees.

“It’s alright now. She’s being taken care of, and you should come with us to calm yourself. We’ll help you.” The man says in attempt to calm her down from the shock and Hana can only nods to whatever he says.

She cannot stand on her own, therefore the man picks her up in bridal style and took her along on the ambulance. Students were flocking around the ambulance, whispering and pointing to her. Hana cannot hear anything, as if someone has turned the sound off. She sees their lips moving and shifting but she could not understand a thing. She’s in her own world and starting from that, she lost the track of reality.

Sehun heard about the incident a bit too late because he has an extra class that evening. He immediately departs to the hospital to meet Hana. He’s feeling resentful for not being there with her and he can imagine what state Hana would be in.

..

It’s been two hours since Gina was treated in the room. The doctor told Hana that the treatment went well, because she calls the ambulance on time. The doctor informed that Gina actually missed the vital point, so less harm was done. However, she has not regained consciousness yet so the doctor asked to wait. Hana sat on the bench outside Gina’s room in despair. Her eyes were swollen from crying, her face is in a mess. It is wet in tears, and stains of dried blood remains on her cheeks and chin as she wipes tear with her hand.

“Now that you knew what kind of person I am, you must have hated me to death.”

“No, I didn’t. It is not entirely your fault, I’m at wrong too.”

“Don’t. Don’t ever forgive me. I will live my life hating you, so you should do the same.”

“You’re just doing this to deny that you’re hurt. You tried to shift the weight of your problems to me. You just need a person to place the blame you couldn’t carry. You’re ruining yourself.”

“I’m already ruined. Broken inside out. It is only a matter of time before I lose myself.”

Their conversations before were played inside her head. She remembered talking to Gina last week, briefly as they bump in the toilet at lunch. She never expects that this is the day Gina will lose herself. Only God knew how she felt when the doctor told her nothing bad happens to Gina. She thought they would never have the chance to meet again.

“Kim Hana.”

That voice. That soothing voice.

Hana turns her head towards the voice. Sehun is standing not far from her, and their eyes meet. Sehun has been there for quite a time, and he’s considering the right time to greet her. He’s observing her condition first so that he will be more prepared to confront her. Without breaking the eye contact, Sehun walks to her. Hana stands up to welcome him. She smiles, or at least she tried.

“You came.”, she states as a matter of fact, her voice cracks a bit. Sehun nods and he returns the smile. He scans her up and down, his heart is clenching to see her in this state. There’s blood stain everywhere on her white shirt and skirt, there’s some on her face too.

Sehun grabs his backpack and he pull out a black sweater. He places his backpack on the bench and goes closer to her. He made her wear the sweater to cover all the blood stains on her clothes. The sweater looks baggy on her since she is petite, and it covers down to her knees.

“You did well today. You did a good job.”, Sehun’s voice is almost a whisper as he fixes the sweater on her.

To his words, Hana feels a rush of blood going up her cheeks and is in pain. The feelings from that accident is coming back to her.

Please don’t cry anymore. Your eyes will fall out, Kim Hana.

Sehun watches as her face turns scarlet and he gently pulls her into his embrace. He places Hana’s face on his chest with a hand on the back of her head and he places the other hand on her back, tapping lightly to comfort.

“I’m here now. You can let everything out. Leave the rest to me.”, He whispers as he can feel Hana’s shoulder is trembling.

“I was so scared. She’s bleeding all over, she’s dying.”, Hana mumbles in his embrace as she clenched onto his cloth.

“I knew. You did well, staying by her side.”

She is crying silently on his chest, and Sehun continues to tap her back in a slow rhythm. They stayed like that for a moment until he feels her muscle has loosen up. Hana pulls away from him, with a hand covering her messy face.

“Thank you.” She manages to blurt that with a croacky voice.

Sehun nods lightly and he brings them to sit on the bench.

Sehun gazes on her briefly before turning to his backpack. He pulls out a piece of cloth and a mineral water. He soaks the cloth with water and he pulls her closer by the sweater’s sleeve.

He uses the cloth to wipe away the dried blood and tears stain on her face.

“You look like a lost puppy right now.” He comments while wiping the mess on her cheeks and forehead.

Hana doesn’t know what to say, she sits still as Sehun did that. He then turns to her hand and folds the end of sweater’s sleeve that was dangling away, revealing her hands. He wipes the blood stain on her hand thoroughly.

Hana watches him as he did all that and she can’t help smiling.

Who knew this day will come? I’m so lucky that my crush is sitting here, taking care of me.

He finishes and his hand starts to comb down her tangled and messy hair. He fixes her hair and pushes a strand of hair to the back of her ear.

“Do you want to eat anything?”

Hana shakes her head no.

“I want to see Gina first.”

“Okay then, we’ll wait for her. After that, you must have dinner with me. Is that alright?”

Hana nods at his suggestion and Sehun smiles at her in response.

It was a short silence before Hana turns at Sehun.

“You smile a lot nowadays, Sehun.”

“I don’t smile to anyone. Thanks to a certain person, I feel I want to smile all day.”

“That person must be an angel.” Hana teases playfully because she knew he was talking about her.

“That’s her charm.”

“Then you should have fall in love with her.”

Sehun pauses at her statement.

I did. I actually did, unknowingly.

“No, thank you. She can be a bit clingy and annoying at times. Ah, and a crybaby too.”

Hana burst into a laugh and Sehun feels his heart becomes fluttered by her laughter. Her laughing face brings a wash of relief to him.

“Miss, your friend is awake now. She wants to see you.”

Both of them turns to a nurse who’s sticking her head out from Gina’s room.

Hana turns to Sehun and he nods at her.

“Go ahead, I’ll wait here.”

Hana stands up and hesitately goes into the room. As the door closes behind her, she was greeted by the presence of Gina on her bed. She is sitting on the bed, staring at Hana. Hana takes a step at time, slowly approaching Gina’s bed.

“Are you..feeling better?”

Hana asks awkwardly as she scans her friend. Her complexion is not pale anymore, though her face looks gloomy and sick.

Thank God. She looks better.

Gina nods her head as tears starts to form in her eyes. is burning in pain, and she doesn’t dare to speak, in case she bursts out crying.

Hana stands there awkwardly, doesn’t sure what she should say or speak.

“G-get a rest. I’ll just go home first.”

“Forgive me…” Gina finally speaks but it goes out inaudible because her voice cracks and Hana couldn’t catch that.

“Sorry?”

Gina immediately pulls Hana into a hug and she starts crying.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean that. I regret doing all that, and,and I…” Gina is speaking too fast and Hana smiles in the hug.

“I knew, I knew. You don’t have to say anything. We are friends, do we? Friends forgive each other, so I’m not mad at you. We’re both at fault. I’m just glad you’re safe.”

Gina nods on Hana’s shoulder and Hana closes her eyes in bliss. They stayed like that for some time.

I got your back, Gina. I saved our friendship. Thank you for being alive.