Framed

An Unnamed Relationship

“Kim Hana! Come and see me now at my office.”, Her homeroom teacher announced before leaving their class after her session ended.

“What’s wrong?”, Gina, her seatmate asked as the teacher left.

Hana shook her head in confusion. She doesn’t know exactly what did she do wrong this time. Is it her test marks? Or her unfinished homework?

“What do she want?”, Gina mutters as she gazes on Hana. She was aware how simple-minded Hana is. She in study, and was always punished by the teachers but she is one kind girl. She is bright, and her energy lightens up the whole room.

“What if I got expelled from the school?”

Gina was taken aback when Hana turns to her with teary eyes and a pout. Oh gosh, this girl.

“Yah, don’t think so much with that small head of yours. It will explode.”

Hana immediately brightens up.

“You talk like Sehun now. Right, I will go and see her for once. There’s nothing to be afraid of. If I didn’t come back in half an hour, go and save me, okay?”

Gina chuckles at her words and nods.

“Sure, I will go to save you.”

Hana grinned as she went out the class. As she passes Sehun’s class, she spots Sehun who is taking notes. He notices she walks by his class and he follows her with his gaze. He wonders if she’s skipping class again. Since the sunflower incident, they have reconciled and went back like they used to.

An hour passed and it is lunchtime. Students rushes out to eat and Sehun make his way to the toilet. Today’s class is a bit boring he thought he was going to sleep right away. He is on his way to the toilet when he spotted Hana and Gina was sitting at the field track. He sees that Gina is trying to comfort Hana as she her back and Hana is sitting, burying her head on her knees.

He goes closer to them as he becomes curious. As he nearing them, he could clearly hear Hana’s muffled cry. She is crying miserably, like a kid who had just lost their mother.

“Don’t be like this. I’m sure it’s just a misunderstanding.” Gina said as she hugs Hana with one hand, calming her down.

“They accused me of something I didn’t do. What if I got expelled? I won’t be able to see Sehun anymore.” Hana replied incoherently between her cry and her voice is unclear because her face is buried on her knees.

“What’s wrong?”

Hana raise her head at Sehun’s voice. Sehun feel a tug in his heart seeing her face drenched in tears with red and puffy eyes. Seeing him, more tears are forming in her eyes.

“Sehun-ah…The teacher said that I stole a copy of exam answers. She said I can get expelled if I don’t tell the truth. But I’m already telling the truth. What I’m going to do now? Are we going to be separated? Does I have to live without seeing you ever again?”, her crying got louder after the last part.

Gina almost facepalmed at Hana’s remarks. Gosh, that’s not the point here, girl.

“Which teacher that are stupid enough to think you, out of all those students to steal the exam answers? When you have totally zero interest in studying. Also, you are not clever enough to come up with things like that.”, Sehun disses Hana while pretending to be in a deep thought.

“I know, right? You knew me better than the teacher.”, tears rolled down as she said that.

Gina actually facepalm herself. He’s dissing you.

Sehun went to Hana and crouched in front of her, matching his eyes level to hers. He stared at her wordlessly, observing how her flushed cheeks are drenched in tears

“I might be stupid, but I would not do that. I’m not that kind of person.”, Hana mumbles as her voices cracked.

He gazes gently upon her, taking a deep breath before he speaks.

“Stop crying then. I believe in you, so stop crying.” He puts a hand on her shoulder, slightly pressing on to assure her that things will get better.

“Why? Do I look ugly?”

“No, because my heart breaks at the sight.”

Hana was taken aback by his statement that she immediately stopped crying.

“We’ll figure out something, so don’t be scared. We’ll help you, right?”, he gazes over to Gina.

“Yeah, we certainly will. Stop crying now, alright.”, Gina pats Hana’s back gently and Hana nodded, wiping off her tears.

Sehun then went to sit beside Hana.

“So, what are the details?”

“Just now the teacher asked her to open up her locker and the copies of answer were there. Hana did not know of this beforehand so she became speechless and scared. The teachers are pressuring her to admit that she’s the culprit and the students didn’t help either. They thought she really did that because well, the evidence was there.”, Gina answers on behalf of Hana who is busy wiping tears off her face.

“Let me guess, she cried and flee from there?” Sehun looks over to Gina and she nodded slowly.

“Why would you run when you are not guilty? You are making them think as if you really are the culprit.”

“You did not see their judging eyes. They were looking down on me and I knew no one believe me, except for Gina of course. They even dissed her for backing me up and I feel bad for that.” Hana looks down, feeling a sense of guilt coming over and she fidgets around with her hands.

“Who would do this to you? Is there anyone on your mind? Like someone who has something against you?”

Hana is thinking hard but it is too much for her small mind.

“Except you, I can’t think of anyone else.”

Sehun gave her a deadpan look as Gina burst laughing at her remarks.

“I mean.. I can’t think of anyone. I always try to be on people’s good side and as far as I remember, I had never once been in a fight with anyone.”

Sehun is thinking hard on the possibilities regarding the incident and Hana grew impatient.

“What are you thinking of? Are you thinking of what to do once I got expelled from this school? You are excited, right?”

Sehun looks at her in disbelief.

“I’m amazed how you can come up with that. Why do I bother to help anyway.” Sehun rose up from his seat and started to walk away.

Hana pouts as he walks away from them. She turned to Hana and whispers close to her ears.

“He’s going somewhere quiet to shout in joy, isn’t it? He can’t do that here since that will be too obvious. Meanie.”

Gina shook her head, smiling at her ridiculous thinking.

..

“Your head will explode if you keep thinking like that.”

Hana who was staring blankly at her locker turns to Sehun who is leaning against a desk near her. He observed her for some time before he went up to her. If he just stands by, they might have to spend a night at the school, seeing how Hana was thinking deeply. She sat on a chair that she placed in front of her locker in the classroom.

“What are you thinking of?”, He asks as she did not respond.

“I’m thinking how the copies can get inside my locker. It certainly can’t move on its own, right? Like, papers don’t walk around.”

Sehun almost facepalms himself at how creative her thinking is.

“Yeah, and it is not dumb enough to walk into your locker, at that.”

“Then how? Is it some kind of magic? Is it possible? Maybe someone wants to help me improve my grades so he placed it there. But I rarely opens my locker, that’s why I did not know of it.”

“Hana yah.” Sehun calls out her name in a slow, but frustrated tone.

“Let’s just go home, eat your dinner and sleep early so that you can refresh that brain of yours. I’m sure you have used it over the limit today.”, he continues as he places scattered books on her desk into her bag and slings it over his shoulder.

Hana pouts and let out a big sigh.

“I think so, too.” She stands up from the chair and follows Sehun out of the class. They walk home wordlessly and Sehun can’t help but to take glances on her from time to time. She’s bubbly and talks a lot, so it is weird seeing her like this.

“You won’t do stupid things, right? Like jumping down from your apartment?” Sehun breaks the silence after thinking on the best topic to start the conversation.

“I’ll not die alone. If I jump, I’ll bring you along with me. Otherwise it would be too boring to be by myself in the afterlife.” She responds lifelessly.

“Good. I’m asking just in case you will think of something like that.”

“Sehun-ah.” Hana calls out his name as they keep walking and Sehun turns to her, nodding at her to continue.

“I just need to be honest, then everything will be okay, right? And will you take my side, even though others don’t?”

Sehun looks away from her, thinking of the best answer to respond to her.

“I don’t take sides, but I look at the fact. If you’re not the culprit, then prove that you’re not.”

Hana stops walking as she frowns at him.

“Tell me something simpler than that. I don’t get your points.”

Sehun almost chuckles seeing her confused expression.

“I mean, give proofs that you’re not the culprit. Only then people will believe in you. I don’t believe you would do that, but verbal confession is not enough. If it does, then no criminal will get caught because a thief won’t tell and confess their deeds. Same goes to you.”

“But I really did not steal the copies. How can I find proof? If I cannot prove it, I would get expelled then. This is scarier than being followed.”

“Being followed?” Sehun repeats after her to make sure he listens correctly.

“Err..I’m not sure about that. But I think so. I would often go to the mart for ice cream, you knew that, right? I felt like someone was watching me. But I’m not sure.”

Hana answers and she shrugs it off before continues to walk and even though Sehun wants to ask more, he didn’t. He ends up walking up to match pace with Hana and they fall into silence again until they arrives home.