Explanation

An Unnamed Relationship

He loved Hana, she was the only one for him. Things happened out of control back then, and he had to leave Hana. But he never forgets about her, he is confident that she will take him back when he explains everything.

“We’ll see bout that.”, Sehun answered in an icy tone before he turns away from Lay.

I need to take back what’s mine. His words rang in Sehun’s head. If Lay meant Hana, he won’t let that happen. Hana belongs to me.

Sehun goes back to the class for his bag and when he went to Hana’s house, she didn’t open the door. He knew she was inside and decided to give her some time. He goes home first, but his mind won’t stop thinking about the man earlier. He didn’t feel good about him.

Meanwhile Hana, she is lying flatly on her bed in blank. She is still shocked by Lay’s sudden appearance. She doesn’t know how to react or what to feel at the moment. Those memories buried in her head is coming back again.

It was a sunny day when she first met Lay. Hana had an argument with her mother, so she skipped school and stayed at an abandoned lake near her school. There weren’t many people there because it was an abandoned place with wild grasses and gloomy atmosphere. It was her favorite place, because this was the regular place she used to come with her parents. Back then when they were still a happy family. However, now, their family had broken apart and she felt abandoned, very much like this lake itself. Too much memories were created there and she keep coming back whenever she misses them.

She was staring blankly at the lake when someone threw stones in the lake and it jumps across her. She looked at the person who threw that and that’s the first time she met Lay. He was smiling at her and they locked eyes for some moment. His smile was so dazzling that she squinted her eyes on him.

“Skipping class, huh?”, that was the first thing he said to her. Hana, being the simple-minded person was left speechless and only blinked in response.

“I assumed that was a yes.”

He chuckled and went to sit beside her casually. Hana was taken aback by his direct act and she scooted away from him.

“I’m not going to do anything to you.. I skipped class, too.”

Hana stared at him as he said that.

“But you weren’t wearing a school uniform.”, she stated as she scanned him from up to down. He was wearing a black pant with white shirt. He had a watch on his left wrist.

“No one would skip class wearing the uniform. You’ll get caught.” He’s referring to Hana who are wearing her school uniform. Hana followed his gaze on herself and a small sigh escaped her lips.

“I guess, I want to be caught. It’s nice sometimes, getting some attention.” Hana stated as she turned her gaze on the lake. She was rebelling, she wanted her mother to know that she skipped class. She wanted to hurt her in every way possible for not holding on to her father. She hated her for that.

Lay smiled upon her words.

“Had an argument with your parents?”, he guessed and she shrugged.

“Well, at least you have one. I didn’t.”

Hana turned back to him as soon as he said that. Her eyes soften on him and she bite her lower lips in sympathy.

“Don’t make those face. I feel bad than I already am.”

“Sorry. I don’t mean to make you feel bad.”

“It’s okay, not that you knew about it. Since we kinda have a common thing, are we friends now?” He jokingly asked and Hana instantly nodded.

“Of course.”

Lay was taken aback by her instant response. Being a kind-hearted person. Hana gladly accepted him as a friend.

“Wow, that’s fast. I thought you didn’t like that.”

‘Strangers can be a good friend, too. It doesn’t feel too bad to have a company on a time like this.”

Lay nodded, acknowledging her points.

“So..do you want to share your story with me? I’m a pretty good listener.”

Lay asked and that’s when their relationship began. Hana felt so good to have someone listened to her and Lay was a very good listener. They met secretly there every once a week. It was like a short escape for Hana and she found herself looking forward to meet him every time. They will talk for hours and exchanged stories at the lake. They progressed from a mere friend to a more intimate relationship. Though they didn’t confess out loud, they each knew that they were falling for each other.

2 months passed since they met, and out of a sudden, Lay didn’t turn up for a day. Hana thought it was weird, but he turned up the following week, acting somewhat strange. He had bruises all over his face, and some scratches on his arm.

“What happened to you?”, Hana asked in worry as she scanned him head to toe. Despite his wounded lips, he tried hard to smile at her as if it was nothing big.

“No worry, just some minor fight with my friends. You know, boy’s thing.”

“But it looks bad. Are you sure you are okay?”, Hana asked again and she bended over to take a peek on him. Suddenly, he clutched his head and groaned in pain. Hana grew panic of his state and she patted on his shoulder trying to ease the pain.

“Let’s go get you checked, should we? I think you’re in pain.”

“Don’t! Stay away from me.”

Lay pushed her away from him and the impact made Hana fell on her . She was shocked from his sudden outburst and she felt a knot in her stomach. She had never seen Lay this way.

“Lay….” Hana called out his name when he had his back her.

“Just don’t do anything. You made me annoyed. I want to go home this instant.”

That was the last words she heard from him, and he never appeared again. Hana waited for him every week on the day they should be meeting for almost a year. She regretted that she never asked about him, she only knew his name. It was always him asking about her and she knew nothing about him. She thought they will still meet each other, turns out that wasn’t the case. He never came. He left, without any proper goodbye and he left her broken.

 

Hana snapped out from the memories when she hears a ruckus outside her home. She hurriedly goes outside to see what is happening. She opens her door only to find Sehun and Lay who were grabbing each other by the collar. Hana looked at them back and forth.

“How do you know my address? And what are you guys doing?” She looks at Lay before she glances over both of them back and forth.

Lay and Sehun releases each other instantly and distances themselves away from each other. Lay gazes softly on her.

“I knew everything about you, remember?”, he said.

“Stop talking about the past. I said I don’t want to see you anymore.”

“I won’t go until you listen to me. I’ll come everyday to meet you, like the old times.”

Hana let out a big sigh and she went to Sehun’s side.

“This man here, he is my boyfriend. I thought you at least need to know that and have some respect on me being his girlfriend.”

Sehun instantly stared at her after she said that. She turned to him and grabs onto his arm, casually. Sehun could feel his heart fluttered. Boyfriend, boyfriend.. Boyfriend. She said I’m her boyfriend. Sehun can’t help but to repeat those words in his mind.

“I know you, Hana. Don’t make things up.” Lay felt his heart fell with her statement.

“I’m not. I would like you to stop doing these, so let’s talk. I’ll only give you 10 minutes, so please hurry up.”

Hana glanced inside her home, her grandmother is in the room and she can’t let her hear this ruckus.

“Sehun, can we talk at your house?”

Sehun is still dumbfounded, so he just nodded in agreement.

“He will be there with us, too?”, Lay frowned at Sehun.

“Yes, I don’t want to keep any secret from him. So, yes. Let’s get going.”

“Are you sure he’s your boyfriend? Not that you make this all up just to drive me away? Both of you seems awkward, though.” Lay refers to Sehun who stands there awkwardly, still taken aback by Hana’s sudden declaration. Hana turns to Sehun and she suddenly feels sorry for dragging him into this. It was only her one-sided love. Hana slowly pulls away her grip on Sehun’s arm but Sehun quickly grab her hand and clasps it tightly.

“Do we have to, like, write it on our forehead that we’re a couple, or should we kiss right here in front of you to make you believe? “, Sehun said as he pulls Hana closer to his side. I’ll show you who’s the man here, you shouldn’t try to take what is not yours.

Hana almost gaped at Sehun’s sudden act. What, did we actually declared our relationship just now? Infront of Lay, right here? Out of all days we spent together, we actually declare it clumsily like this?

“O..okay, stop glaring at each other already. You’re going to hurt your eyes. Let’s go downstairs first.”

Hana closes the door behind her and walks downstairs to Sehun’s home.

..

“So…..talk. Don’t stare at me like that. It’s uncomfortable.”

Hana cleared . 5 minutes had passed since they sat around the table in Sehun’s home and Lay haven’t speak a word. Sehun went to the kitchen and he returns with three cups of warm tea.

“I’m sorry about your mother. Just found about it.” Lay finally talks after a while.

“Look, I don’t know where are you gaining this information from, but please. Stop. I don’t like it. Just go straight to the point.”

Sehun stared at them back and forth. The tension between them is very high, and he is not sure if he should stay there.

“My adopted family were moving out then, so I have no choice but to leave you. I thought it would be hard on you, so I didn’t say anything back then. “

Hana stares at Lay in disbelief.

“That’s all you got to say? So what if you were moving? You can at least bid me goodbye. And those bruises that day? You acted differently, you did.”

“We were still young, I didn’t think of that. I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“In the end, you hurt me. So badly I don’t even want to recall. You left me hanging, you left with us being on a bad term. I put my whole trust in you, I thought I can rely on you. Turned out it was a mistake.”

“No, Hana, it wasn’t a mistake. I had always like you. I knew you relied a lot on me back then and I’m glad for it. But things happened, don’t they? I came to find you, to apologize.”

Lay reached out for Hana’s hand on the table but Hana quickly pulls her hand away from him. Lay feels rejected by her action and a loud sigh escapes his lips.

“Now you did. So that’s it. I think we don’t have anything else to talk about. You can leave now. Your 10 minutes are up.” Hana stands up from her seat, signaling that she doesn’t want to talk anymore. She turns her back on him, waiting for him to leave.

“Do you hate me now? There are no feelings left for me anymore? I was sure our feelings were mutual back then. If that feelings remains in me, how could it die in you?”

Hana froze on her spot after Lay said that. Sehun wasn’t sure what he’s feeling while listening of them. Maybe a part of it was fear of losing her, a part of it was jealousy, another part is sympathy. The combinations are so wrong, he feels sick. He was quite sure that Hana likes him, but now he doubts it. Maybe Hana still has some feelings for Lay. He was her first, and now he’s coming back. What if Hana has a change of heart?

Hana turns her body towards Lay and she placed her palms on the table, slightly leaning to him.

“You broke me. There’s no way things could be the same. I loved you, take note that I said it in past tense. You’re a part of my past. Thanks for coming all the way here to explain, but just stop talking about all these feelings. Just because it remains on you, it doesn’t have to remain on me, too.”

“But why Hana, you are talking as if I had done you so wrong.”

“You did. After you left, I went waiting for you there every week. Remember, you promised to not leave me? That I can always find you to hold on? You lied.”

“Hana, I told you that my family moved away. I have no control about it.”

“While waiting for you, one day I went home and my mother was dead. She hung herself to death. I was left all alone. I kept waiting for you, I was hoping that you’d at least make an effort to find me. You never did. So, why now? I learnt to live by myself. Don’t relive those painful memory. Keep going your way, since I forgave you already. But there is no way we can be like before.”

It is a long silent before Lay get up from his seat. Sehun stares at Lay in sympathy, he is able to understand on how Lay had felt.

“I understand. Thanks for your time. Take care.”

With those words, Lay left Sehun’s house. Hana remains standing on the same spot, unable to move as she hears the sound of closing door. He really left.