the realization

KAI x YOU (Short Story, Break up and Make up Ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
My eyes shifted and here I was, staring deep into his eyes. The Kai that was no longer mine. I bit my lip before leaning against the chair, flashing him a smile so I seem unaffected. “Good morning.” I greeted and he gave me a curt nod. “Good morning.” He replied before stepping into the room, circling my desk before dropping himself on the chair in front of me where the clients usually sit.   I cleared my throat awkwardly, my tongue wetting my lips before shuffling through the papers; determined to make my interaction with him as professional as possible. I could feel his gaze on me and I sighed before mustering my courage and looking up at him.   “Did your boss send you here to get the potential business plans?” I asked, taking out three papers from the pile before handing it to him. He leaned forward before grabbing it, his eyes still on my face before nodding. I was praying that he would say something so we wouldn’t be plunged into awkward silence when he spoke up.   “So, I just give this to him and we’ll get back to you about our decision.” He said, his voice raising at the end and I wondered if it was a question or a statement. “Sounds good.” I answered. He gave out a hmm and put the papers in his briefcase- the one I remember buying him for his birthday the first month I was with him. “And you?” This time it was a question. “Me?” “You. How’ve you been?” He asked, this time looking straight at me and I felt my breath catch in my throat. “I’ve been great, Kai. Everything is great. I believe I told you that the last time we met.” I answered. “Thought I might ask again, considering you weren’t alone then.” “Did you think my answer would change?” My tone was slightly harsh as my smile disappeared. I’m not like you. I don’t love someone one day and don’t the next, I thought.   “No. I just tho- It’s just we didn’t have much time to talk.” His eyes faltered a bit and I shrugged, waving my hand to show him that it was okay. “It’s alright.” I replied formally. “Well, do contact my secretary when you’re done with your decision. Looking forward to it.”   I stood up from the desk and he followed suit. I extended my hand out to him and chuckled as he took a moment to stare at my hand with utmost confusion. “A handshake? Really?” He asked before smiling at me. “A hug for old times sake?” He raised both his hands up and I laughed, caught of guard at how natural it was.   “I don’t mind, but I’m lazy.” I said, motioning to the desk between us and he clicked his tongue. “Shouldn’t be a problem.” He walked over towards me and I stepped reluctantly into his embrace as the familiar smell of his cologne wafted to my nose.   His arms tucked me against him and he rocked me back and forth, the same we way used to hug before. I stood there, patting the small of his back as my hands were around his waist before pulling away. His touch lingered and I looked up just to see him looking down at me with a frown on his face.   “That’s enough now, Kim Kai.” My voice coming out as if I’m scolding him but a small smile on my lips. “You sure it’s enough?” He asked, raising an eyebrow before coming in closer for another hug before I ducked out under his arm and moved away. “Wow, Ms. Speed.”   “That’s what they call me around here.”
I saw him moving across the room as he collected his briefcase before putting on
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter