Nine

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

A week ago, I said I needed to hasten my operations before I grew too comfortable, before somebody spilled out who I really am, before these butterflies in my stomach evolved into something far more dangerous, and most importantly, before something horrible happened to some other socialite.

I was constantly keeping tabs on some that the FBI had pointed out as potential targets due to their fame and prestige.

It actually wasn't my bosses that were breathing down my neck, but Jennie.

"Jen, this isn't a case of snapping your finger and everything's solved!" I sighed after another week passed with no new leads to go by and her nagging increasing.

What can you expect? I'm also busy shooting and modelling for commercials. I was feeling pretty dejected too and she wasn't helping.

"Well, to me, looks like you've grown a bit too comfortable" Jennie said sharply. She was disappointed, I could hear it in the flat tone of her voice.

"Comfortable? I'm just barely juggling modelling and monitoring the whole operation!" I retorted indignantly, "and it's not like I have an experienced team to help me out--I only got you."

"Yeah well deal with it" she said bitterly," I'm sorry for not possessing any skills relevant to you, Miss Korea. You're in charge anyway, the least you could have done is ask for back up."

I wrung my head in exasperation. Were we really fighting over this?

"Seriously Jen, we are not having this conversation right now. I told you it's a very delicate mission and it has to be done as covertly as possible or we risk losing all the progress we--"

She gave a humourless laugh. "Progress? You mean the last 3 years? Jisoo, you don't even know who killed Chaeyoung and Lisa!"

I took a deep breath to calm myself. It wouldn't do to get in a shouting match with Jennie: she can spit insults faster than Eminem and the colourful vocabulary she employed used to make Chaeyoung's ears burn.

"Your point is invalid," I began calmly, "this is not CSI. I don't do miracles. I work to the best of my ability. My colleagues here did what they could. I can't promise you if we'll ever find anything...and hey after all, you were the one to tell me you can wait--"

"I'm tired of waiting!" she burst, "I thought I'd have to wait a few weeks but Jisoo, it's almost two months now! How much more can I take? I need answers or so help me, I'll make that heartless scumbag answer me after I break every bone in his body! I should have done that years ago." she sobbed.

Just then, Joohyun bumbled into the room, hearing her mother's raised voice. She gurgled and reached out for a hug.

"Joohyun, get out" Jennie said tersely,her eyes not leaving my face. The little girl paused, confused at the strange brittle tone. Tentatively, she tried reaching up again.

"I said, get out!" Jennie snapped, "are you deaf?"

Little Joohyun goggled at her mother then started sniffling. Her face scrunched up and her bottom lip jutted out as she ran out of the room.

Jennie slammed the door after the crying toddler exited.

"Jennie-ah," I protested.

"Don't touch me!" she snarled when I reached out, "if you were half the friend you say you are, you would have Jin in prison by now and he can rot there!"

"There's no evidence he has done anything wrong," I told her with a sigh.

This one detail bothered me--he always seemed to have some sort of alibi, or the leads connecting him to a clue turned out to be dead ends. It was frustrating.

"You're not pushing hard enough Jisoo," she faced me, her eyes bone-dry. "You're not trying hard enough, because you're protecting him."

"No!" I gasped, "Jennie, that's not true, you know it isn't,you're just upset--"

"I can't believe you right now. You dare lie to me? After all this time, whose side are you on, huh? Your dear Seokjin? You fantasise about him in bed huh? I thought you were past that nonsense, Chu, we're not teenagers anymore!

If you really were trying hard for me and Joon, for my daughter, for Lisa, Chaeyoung, and the others...if you really were trying to solve this mess, you wouldn't have excluded anything at all from the investigation. Yet, I think, no, I know you're ignoring the important pieces..."

I was about to reply when my mobile rang. I glance at the caller ID-- it was my manager.

"Go ahead" Jennie said spitefully, pushing past me, "I won't keep you from your precious work. It's more important than a couple of dead people right? I mean, beats slaving away at a computer and getting paid with nothing!"

And she marched out, calling for Joohyun.