Twenty

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

The morning after, I woke up feeling sore all over.

Not just...down there, which I still couldn't bring myself to check beneath the sheets.

Even around my abdomen, and my jaw. And my eye seemed to be throbbing.

Jin woke up around the time I did. I had heard him but pretended I was still asleep. He laid awake beside me for some time, combing my hair, along my shoulder down to my flank and talking quietly.

"Chu, we were amazing together huh? I don't know why we didn't do it before. Stupid of me, I let you get away. But now...now, don't worry, nobody will ever take you away from me."

He got up some time later. I lay in bed because I was still drained. The fog in my head was slowly clearing.

I know what I did. I don't regret a thing.

If ing can help me to catch Seokjin in his shady dealings, so be it.

Two can play at being amoral after all.

And then suddenly, I remembered the bugs and cameras and I ducked beneath the covers, my confidence evaporating instantly.

God what if Jennie saw everything? Oh Lord-

Wincing, I wrapped a sheet round my body and hobbled like an old woman to the bathroom to clean myself up. My dress was still lying on the floor, along with my clutch and lingerie, which I quickly snatched up and ducked into the bathroom with.

The warm shower was soothing, massaging my sore muscles. I also spotted a couple of hickeys on my neck. Now I definitely am not going anywhere near cameras for modelling--thank you Jin.

The bright sunlight seemed to indicate it was close to noon and my stomach didn't stop grumbling.

I found some shirt of Jin's in his wardrobe. It was too long, trailing past my thighs. I had to roll up the sleeves. I also took a pair of trousers of his, which fit me fine once I buckled up tight. I had to go bare footed since the only thing I could wear were the heels and I wasn't feeling like walking in them today.

Before I went down to the kitchen, I glanced into the mirror and noticed a dark colouration around the eye I had hurt two nights ago. It seemed to have darkened to its original purple colour.

My ribs too, felt like they had been freshly kicked.

I think I would have kept staring at my reflection all day if my stomach hadn't interrupted my line of thought.

There were no apples in the bowl. I was starting to get used to their curiously bitter taste.

I went to the kitchen. There was no sign of Jin anywhere. Had he left for work? Was he going in today anyway? I definitely wasn't no matter what he tells me.

I poured myself some milk I found in the fridge and drank slowly, avoiding any sudden gulping movement because my jaw hurt too.

There really was no sign of life anywhere. I decided to explore.

Maybe I would come across the secret door Jennie mentioned. Pabo, in my drunken haze last night, I had forgotten to ask her where it was exactly. I had been too full of myself (flaw no.3: overconfidence.)

I could have phoned her but my phone was out of charge. You'd think in a millionaire's mansion you'd find a compatible phone charger but sadly that didn't seem to be the case. There was a landline sure, but I didn't store Jennie's number in my brain, so I was on my own.

Luck seemed to be on my side though. While rifling through some dusty books in his library, I came across a shelf that seemed to be out of its place. The wall behind it looked innocuous enough, but I have seen my fair share of hidden doors and the secrets they hide behind them.

I knocked experimentally . There it was-- an echo, as if I were knocking on metal instead of solid brick.

This was the secret door Jennie spoke about. But how to open it?

I was examining it, pressing slowly, hoping to find some sort of switch or keyhole when I felt vibrations.

I quickly stepped back and hid behind a bookshelf.

"No, I asked for a loam with 25% peat or the acidity will just kill them!" Jin was saying as he emerged, practically bellowing into his new phone. "And it's just outrageous that-- hang on a sec." He pushed the shelf in front of the sliding door as it clicked shut then picked up his phone again.

"It's simply not acceptable you have no idea how long we have been trying to grow them-"

I waited until his voice had faded away before I moved that shelf again. The door started sliding away immediately, probably by sensing the shelf moving away from it and a sturdy metal staircase led down into the recess of the mansion.

I didn't even have a torch, or any weapon with me.

Without losing more time, I started my descent, hearing the door clicking shut behind me and plunging the whole place into darkness.