Six

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

"Unnie, c'mon!"

I lifted my head. Lisa laughed in my face and ran off, pant cuffs rolled up to her knees as she pranced at the river bank's edge. She splashed water at Chaeyoung who ducked behind Jimin and he was soaked.

Cue Chaeyoung shouting at Lisa which turned into a shriek as Jimin promptly picked her up and jumped into the water. Jungkook and and Taehyung chased after Lisa until they caught her and dragged her into the water as well, their laughter echoing. Namjoon and Hoseok came up with Jennie who was shouting for Namjoon to put her down OR ELSE. He didn't listen and all three tumbled into the river. Somewhere, Yoongi's laughter echoed.

"They're giving me a headache already" Jin muttered, his eyes closed. I his glossy hair on my lap. He had cooked up a feast and was now having some well-earned rest. We were the only ones left on the grass. School had just broken up for summer recess and as usual, all eleven of us celebrated with a picnic by the Han River.

I could admire Jin's beautiful face up close, unbothered. One, he had his eyes closed. Two, he was my boyfriend. I could look at him all day.

I leaned down to kiss him. His lips moved against mine immediately, as if he had been expecting me.

"Chu..."he growled against my mouth. It set my nerves ablaze. He deepened the kiss, pressing my head down from my nape and I willingly responded just as hungrily.

And then a piercing sound startled me, and the whole scene shattered. I heard Lisa scream.

"Lalisa, wait!" I shouted, waking up. The alarm clock was screaming. I shut it off with a sigh and just sat in bed, spacing out.

It's been a while since I've seen all of us together in my dreams.

Must be either the stress or Jennie's mashed banana oats I had last night...

After a moment I swung my legs to the side and went to the bathroom.

A few weeks ago, I would have either slept through the alarm and Eomma's shouting, or thrown it across the room then fell back to sleep.

But I have a schedule now and Jin was wrong: it's not hard being a model.

It's exhausting.

I can't admit I'm not enjoying it though: the feeling of looking in a mirror and seeing...well...they call me a goddess. But I wouldn't go so far. However, yes, it's nice to feel pretty and wear nice clothes.

I used to do a little bit of modelling, back when the gang was all about being models together so at that time I let myself go with the flow and we ended up on a few local magazines and got a couple of pay checks which we immediately spent on meat fests. Jin used to cook BBQ so well, he would have made an excellent chef.

But now, things are much more serious and so am I. No fooling around--I'm doing this job properly and for real.

I need answers.

I managed to persuade Jin to get me into the business and he kept his word.

"Promise you'll take care of your body now" he told me when I signed the contract.

I promised.

So now I get up on time to make it to Jin's company building at 6 sharp instead of snoozing till 9.

I drink a smoothie for breakfast (I never really liked liquidised fruit pulp but oh well..)

I haven't had a piece of fried chicken in a good while, because we've been very busy shooting ad after ad and it's not recommended for the skin. I put on face masks and I cover my skin when it's sunny too.

I work out by jogging in the park or doing yoga.

It's rather bizarre but once people discovered me, they were falling over themselves to snap me up and offer me modelling contracts and photo shoots. And I'm accepting every offer.

I'm enjoying the attention. People don't really know much about me, because my superiors had contacted journalists to explain the delicate mission I had been assigned and so far, they seemed to have held their tongue.

It wouldn't be long before somebody blows my cover though, I'm aware of that. Which is why in the short time that I've been here, I've been working hard to convince Jin that I have no hidden agenda whatsoever.

I'm laying out the bait. All that is needed is for the fish to take it and then I'll pounce.

And I dare think that I'm close.

I notice Jin's expression changes whenever he spots me. I always smile back at him and wave but he...his face is unreadable. Carefully guarded, devoid of expression other than polite nods.

But his eyes burn, hot and angry and afraid, all at once.

Don't ask me how I noticed: I just know him very well.

Like when we sat down for lunch when he took me out later, I noted how his hands kept straying to his phone, then to his pocket mirror, then to a spoon. Fidgeting--it wasn't nervousness. He was annoyed.

"Jin, what's wrong?" I asked concerned.

His gaze collided with mine.

"Cover those damn hot shoulders" he growled, "there's two creeps who keep leering at you. 6 o'clock."

I hid a secret smile as I pulled on my cardigan. "You think my shoulders are hot?"

He looked startled for a moment and I laughed.

"Oppa, don't you have any girlfriends? Why are you getting jealous over me?"I teased.

He regarded me thoughtfully as I sipped my juice. "Maybe I was still waiting for you..." he said quietly.

I went into a coughing fit, and he had to come around to my side to rub my back until I calmed down somewhat.

"Well, that was a little...unexpected," I chuckled feebly. He was still gazing at me.

"Are you enjoying it here, Jisoo?"

"Very much," I admitted. In fact, I was afraid I would be up into the trappings of fame.

Already, I had to be escorted by security when out and about the city. People who recognised me asked for autographs. I had to be conscious of what I dressed, lest I make a fashion faux pas and end up as headlines for the wrong reasons.

"And...do you think you'll stay?" He asked, studying me intently.

I kept my face neutral, staring him straight in the eye. "Who knows? We'll see I guess..."

He shifted back in his chair, seemingly unconvinced and I rushed to say what's on my mind.

"Jin, I don't think it would work... we're...grown up now...."

"Yeah yet you still call me oppa" he replied, combing his fingers as he glanced at his reflection in the spoon.

"...things are different now...." I whispered.

We hadn't really meant to break up: it was mutual....

We parted ways just before he came to America.

"Chu, I'll wait for you"

I turned my gaze upon that handsome boyish face. I tried imagining it, imagining him waiting until I was ready to follow. Imagining him welcoming me back into his arms.

"That would be...all I could ever wish for...." I said hoarsely, "but Jin...I don't want either of us to hang on to false hopes, only to be hurt. I don't want to hold you back. I'll....I'll let you go, because it's for the best. I know you think so too," I added.

He couldn't argue. He was heading out of the country with nothing but the clothes on his back and he had no intention of returning. The last thing he needed was a dependent girlfriend to worry about. He needed to focus on getting a proper job. Jin had big dreams, bigger than mine could ever be. He was set to dominate the world...while me, I was content with just looking after eomma. She needed me and I couldn't leave her...not even for my lover.

Idiotthe others called me.

Sometimes I think so too, but my mind was made up.

"Hyung! We gotta move!" Jungkook called. Lisa was bouncing impatiently, hanging on to his arm. The girls had already said their goodbyes to me and they had given me and Jin some time alone before their flight departed.

Jin regarded me with dark puppy eyes, sadness reflected in them. "Well, if that's what you think... I'll let you go too. But I won't ever stop loving you" He added firmly. I nodded and let him envelope me in his warmth for the last time.

"If we're meant to be, I'll find a way back to you" I murmured, "I promise...."

His hold tightened, he had heard me.

And that was also the last time I had seen the whole group together....

I returned from my flashback when I heard Jin call the waiter for a refill.

"You say we've changed..." he mused, "do elaborate on this point". He poured himself a glass of red wine and I raised an eyebrow.

"Cheat day," he winked, "and besides it will help me loosen up. You have a lot of questions for me don't you? I can see it on your face. Well, I decided I'll answer them today. Maybe that will help you fall in love with me again."

He laughed when I ducked my face.

"Don't be shy, what's the worse you can ask? How many people I slept with? Was it four or five? Nah, zero." He enunciated with a triumphant smirk, toasting his second glass and chugging it back like water.

"Really" I deadpanned, "I thought you'd be living the high life and dating left right and centre. I mean ten years...kind of hard to go all that time without banging someone right?"

He shrugged, twiddling the glass stand between his thumbs. "There's always and toys. And besides, I had a lot on my mind to think about dating, especially after that..."

Was he speaking about that mysterious jungle expedition that was kept hushed up?

"Chu..." he began. His eyes held my gaze steadily. "Did you know I had...cancer?"

I stared. What?

"We were devastated," he said quietly, "we had finally settled our debts and the company was at last up and running, with the first rich clients that could pay us proper money. It was just after the company's fifth anniversary I think? But no, life decided it wasn't done. I earned a big kick in the when my body started failing me..." His hands trembled slightly. "I was diagnosed with an aggressive skin tumour, apparently it's quite rare too. The doctor gave me around..three months was it now?"

"That's...impossible...how did you..."

"Heal?" He looked out of the window. "Kind of a funny story. But let's say that the main driving point had been that I didn't want to do the traditional chemo and radiotherapy--"

"Your image..." I said under my breath. He sighed.

"Namjoon told me I was being a pretentious vain brat, caring about my appearance more than my life. He said if I lived, my appearance would soon go back to normal--I'd get my hair back and maybe I could do some skin graft operation.... but I didn't want that. I wanted my body to remain the way it was. He didn't realise the bigger picture. My appearance is everything. If I lose it...I am nothing. You have no idea the wreck I was becoming...."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I croaked. He gave me a wan smile.

"Would that have made you come here?"

"I don't know but maybe I could have supported you--"

He waved his hand and gulped down the wine.

"I had the boys. They supported me. I was turning into a creature of my nightmares. You can't imagine the utter terror of seeing a skeleton staring back at you from the mirror. My face, my skin...it was peeling off, dead and bluish... I looked like I had the plague or something disgusting.... my hair was falling out in clumps, my eyebrows and eyelashes...even my nails! I looked like someone back from the grave.

I almost succumbed to undergo treatment because I couldn't bear to look at myself anymore. Salvaging what little remained would be better than nothing but still, somehow...I held on. I hid away from public. Thank God, Namjoon and the boys took care of everything. Namjoon stayed with me even though he had Jennie to look after and I will be forever grateful...."

I waited for him to go on, desperate for any piece of information.

Rumours about that devastating jungle quest had ranged from the wild to the downright ridiculous but if this was the real thing....

I don't know if I'm ready to hear it.

"How did you get better then?" I heard myself blurt.

He shook his head and stood up, swaying slightly. "Another time, Chichuuuuuuu" he sang.

And he walked out.