Twenty One

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

Luck lasted me for about 10 minutes after I discovered the underground terrarium beneath Jin's mansion.

After several minutes of going down steps, I emerged in a circular clearing, with a large hole in the centre, surrounded by railing. Leaning over, I saw several storeys below me with a floor at each level. White coated people scurried around, other people in overalls pushed gurneys loaded with glassware and lab tools. Cleaners, armed with their cleaning trolleys were mopping the third floor down.

And then lastly, in the dead centre on the ground floor, there was an abundance of greenery: an orchard (I know because I saw apples hanging off the boughs) illuminated by blinding artificial lighting.The brightness was as powerful as the lights in a stadium, if not more.

The little forest had that level all to itself. The walls of rock seemed to be hollowed out to allow more space for new trees to be planted. Giant pillars then supported the levels above them.

It was also quite warm in this clearing, unlike the dark staircase that I had just come down from. A cloying sweet smell aded the air--the same aroma of the Snow White apple.

I was mesmerised by all this activity that was going on beneath Jin's place when I heard shouting.

A guy in black came running towards me--must be a guard. Wow, astute observation skills, Chu.

I took off running, finding a door and a new staircase going down the next level.

I burst onto the new floor, attracting people's attention as I ran so now more dudes in black appeared out of nowhere cornering me.

They tackled me but I fought them off and kept on running, holding my side. It hurt, now with extra bruises to add to the collection.

My breathing was growing ragged, my steps faltering. I finally collapsed just as a whole army came stampeding over to tie me down.

"Dart her, quick!"

A stab of pain shot up my arm and then I fell into a quiet place.