Ten

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

It was thus that I found myself roaming around the city's streets, alone with my thoughts.

I had my taser with me, tucked into its secret holster on the inside of my jacket, along with a few other...accessories.

Initially I had thought of going out for a run to clear my mind but decided to settle for a walk instead. Walking helps me better to observe my surroundings and mull over thoughts.

I needed to focus.

The FBI did not expect miracles. They roped me into the investigation after Jennie pestered them incessantly. They caved in after checking my profile and recognised the connection I have with their prime suspect, besides the knowledge needed to solve the case.

Nonetheless, I cannot guarantee wonders. As time goes on, the more the trail goes cold, without meaning to, the fire and passion for justice will stutter and flicker as one starts losing hope.

It's human nature and it was happening to me.

One of my flaws is demotivation. It happened to me when I was assigned to cases back home and I was frustrated out of my mind because I couldn't solve them right away.

Usually, I ended up bingeing on cup ramen and dramas, huddled in my bed. I didn't even shower for days, until eomma's patience ran out and she dragged me out of the room from my ear.

Eomma always managed to shake some sense into me. Each time, she'd shout at me to break past the wall of apathy I put up. And thankfully each time, her words somehow got through (well I had no choice with her shouting reverberating in my eardrums). If that hadn't worked, I'd have ended up a depressed wreck of a cop.

I remember her dragging me for walks in the parks back home with the intention to help me clear out the knots and tangles in my head.

To help me make sense of the case and rejuvenate my passion.

I wish she was here. We could have gone to Central Park, although it's dark....

Jennie warned me not to go there after dark, because "it's not the same place you see in daytime."

Duality, huh?

Like what I'm playing with Seokjin. Like what he is playing with us. Showing a side but hiding the other.

Briefly, Jennie's words replayed in my head.

You're protecting him

Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn't. Sometimes there's no understanding the way we humans act. Not all actions are based on logical and rational thoughts.

What I did know was that I had to protect Jennie and her daughter with my life. And to do that, the less she involved herself, the better.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

It's not easy being a cop. You bear the brunt of all the expectations, the insults, the frustrations...and you can't do anything but keep your mouth shut.

Because keeping people safe and solving a case with minimal collateral is my duty. If that means Jennie turning on me because she thought I was abandoning her...well, I'd rather have that than finding her dead in the sewers because I involved her. In fact lately, I had been wondering about going solo and moving out from her super altogether. But I couldn't bring myself to admit that it was comfortable and I had otherwise no place to go to.

I was too deep in my reverie until I noticed my feet walking me towards a familiar illuminated skyscraper.

As expected from its CEO, the skyscraper was sleek and elegant, a synergistic balance between glass and metal that was designed to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Compared with other bland towers, Jin's model agency HQ was there amongst the top beautiful buildings in the world and no, it's not just me being biased. They said so in some architecture magazine.

A stakeout wasn't exactly what I had in mind. But I knew Jin tended to be the last person to leave the building.

His office window on the 56 th floor was lit. I had to credit him--he worked hard to ensure the company had the edge on other competing agencies. I was even surprised to learn that they also represented artists in Hollywood and promoted Korean youth and their talents. That is besides Jin being the powerhouse model that endorses most of the skincare brands in the country.

I can't help but admire him. He truly is dominating at the moment.

I settled against a dark shop's doorway, hood over my head to be as inconspicuous as possible. My eyes were on his office windows, waiting.

The night certainly heightens one's senses and without meaning to, even paranoia starts inching closer to the surface.

As soon as the sun goes down, the city changes. I've seen it.

I don't know how to explain...but people's faces are grimmer, more grotesque and drawn. The people of the night come out to play in the city that never sleeps. Shady persons in hoodies with overpowering smells sidle up close when you're waiting at a bus stop.

They emerge from subways like rats crawling out of holes. Scantily-clad women (don't they catch colds?) ply their wares in seedy back alleys. Street lamps flicker eerily once you pass beneath them. Shadows are longer and darker, hiding quickly as I pass by only to reappear a few moments later in the same spot, watching silently...

"Hey there..."

I bit my lip. Here goes....

"I'm betting you look mighty pretty beneath that hood, huh? Why doncha show us, eh?"

There were two men who appeared from nowhere, their bulky frames towering over me. I kept my face down.

"Oh Don, look at 'er! You made her shy!"

"Nah, she doesn't want to talk to your smelly face."

If I hadn't been cornered, I might have even smiled. But they kept pressing into my space.

"Say, love, are you waiting for somebody? You should ditch 'im and come with us for some fun, eh?" I felt him bend down, his arm trapping me as it rested on the wall behind me right by my temple. "Hey, look at me when I talk to ya!"

"Leave me alone" I said roughly, pushing him away. First warning.

"Ohhh, I like 'er Bri" laughed Don sounding amused.

"Nah, c'mon kitten, we're honest people you don' need to be scared of us. An' it's been a long day too so we just need ya to--"

"Scram, jerks," I snarled, turning away from his putrid breath and moving past Don. Second warning.

A heavy hand landed on my shoulder and I let out a groan. His grip was like a vice.

"Not so fast missy! No china rat gets to talk to me like that" He growled.

And I snapped.

It happened in a blur: I was all over them like a hyena attacking its prey. I punched and kicked and whacked, ignoring the blows landing on my face and chest. I kept on kicking and punching even when they collapsed. I kept on hitting and bashing until my knuckles turned dark and sticky and their eyes rolled in their faces. I kept on and on, laughing like a maniac as their noses spurted fountains of red and their bones cracked. I laughed and laughed even as sirens echoed all around me and white headlights blinded me.

See, another flaw of mine: when I snap, say your prayers.

Because I don't know how to stop.