Seventeen

The Vanity Code

Jisoo's POV

(2 hours previously)

I don't normally drink. It only makes me irritated unless I go all out and chug back a dozen shots or so.

But after that phone call with eomma, I just couldn't go and face Jin yet.

Why did everyone keep comparing me to him? I wasn't like him...right?

I was just so confused. A few months ago, things were normal. Well, normal as normal can be.

And now, my last friend, my best friend, had given up on me. Eomma thinks I will leave her. My priorities are all jumbled. And I think I'm falling for a potentially dangerous ex flame.

Life was peachy. Other people have it worse of course. At least, that's what I'm supposed to say, according to eomma.

"Another one" I muttered to the barman and downed the shot.

"And another one." I downed that too and reached for the next. 

He raised his brow and opened his mouth but I wasn't in the mood for chatting.

"And another one."

"And another one."

But before I could drink the burning liquor, my mobile vibrated. I picked up.

"What the fug do you want--"

"Jisoo, I just need to tell you---wait, where are you? I can barely hear you."

"Does it look like I fugging care? Huh Jennie? Does it?"

"Pabo...don't tell me you're drinking?" she exclaimed from the other end.

"Hell yeah, I am, deal with it" I snapped and was about to hang up when she spoke again.

"Ok but just listen to this: Jin has a secret entrance to some chamber or something in his mansion!"

"Huuuuuuh?"

"A. Secret. Door." she enunciated slowly. "A. Room. With. Secrets"

"Where?"

"In. His. House" she explained as if talking to a child.

"Niniiiiiiii I get it, I'm not playing around. How did you find out?"

"The cameras you put up. I..kind of kept an eye out on him"she mumbled, "And there's more. Today, he spoke a name, Dr. Bang, I gave it to you in those last phone transcripts. And I think I know who he is--I'd seen him around in the last few days before I left the agency...."

That piece of information seemed to pull me out of my stupor. The doctor's name had slipped from Jin's mouth while I was watching him.

"I'm sending you info. Check it."

The phone pinged and I opened the link she had sent me. I was still in my senses enough to read.

It was too dark and noisy by the counter so I slipped into the restrooms.

I held up my phone again and read:

Once held in great esteem by colleagues and fellow scientists the world over, Dr Bang Si Hyuk , a celebrated geneticist, recently handed in his resignation to the prestigious Seoul Board of Scientists and formally apologised for 'his racist and controversial views'. He has also resigned as guest lecturer for the Genetic Engineering department at the American Universities of Harvard and Stanford.

"Have you read it?" Jennie was still on the line.

"Almost, shh."

My vision was slightly bleary but thankfully, I could still read and coherently process what I'm reading. I just had to read slower.

I scrolled down past more details of how he started out and where he studied.

Dr Bang is credited with co-discovering the technique to successfully amalgamate plant and human DNA. It is hoped further advances on this technique could offer individualised drugs for patients in palliative care that ensures a greater success rate at more affordable costs.

And then beneath them was the picture of Dr Bang. He looked like a jolly Korean Santa Claus, without the white hair and beard, and without the red suit.

"It's all connected...." I muttered, "but how?"

"You're supposed to be at that Ball right now." Jennie nagged.

"Yeah I--wait how do you.....oh....the invite...?" I said.

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry Jen."

"I wouldn't go near him if you paid me."she snorted.

I allowed myself a secret smile, even if she wasn't seeing me.

Maybe there was still hope we can reconcile.

"I'll be going then." I told her. Tonight I will get my answers. Once and for all.

"Careful out there." she whispered before hanging up.

I went out of the bathroom, out of the bar (had to be dragged in again to pay for the shots) then finally made it back outside and hailed a taxi.

Watch out Jin, the cavalry's coming.