Ch 2

Parachute

“Who are you?”

 

Sehun raises an eyebrow, hand still on the door handle. “This is my dorm, who the are you?”

 

The stranger on the couch just stares at Sehun, a look of shock on his face. Jongin enters the room then, two beers in hand and stops when he notices the weird tension. “Hey Sehun.”

 

“I didn’t know you had a roommate,” stranger says.

 

“He does,” Sehun says, finally shutting the door. He slips out of his shoes and crosses the room, sits a full couch cushion away from the intruder.

 

“Yeah, this is Sehun.” Jongin hands a beer over to the new person. “Sehun, this is my friend Chanyeol.”

 

It shouldn’t hurt. It shouldn’t make Sehun’s chest feel heavy. But for some reason it really does. “Hi,” he says shortly, not bitter at all. “You’re the one who had to work on the project at early the o’clock.”

 

It wasn’t a question as much as an observation, but Chanyeol answers. “Oh, uh…yeah I guess that was me.” He runs a hand through his hair; he seems nervous for some reason. He pushes his little round framed metal glasses up the bridge of his nose and clears his throat, takes an awkward sip from his beer.

 

“We were just working on the project a little, thought here was better than in the noisy student center,” Jongin says, taking the seat between Sehun and Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

Sehun stays on the couch for the next hour; he’s not sure why. He listens to Chanyeol talk about his astronomy major, all his nerdy math and star stuff. Jongin seems weirdly interested; since when has he cared about stars?

 

He finds himself getting more and more annoyed as time goes on. It’s not Chanyeol personally that pisses him off, no. Chanyeol is friendly and polite, his stupid curly hair bounces when he moves and his smile is too big for his face, but still, Sehun doesn’t particularly dislike him as a person.

 

What he doesn’t like is how friendly he and Jongin appear to be. Not in a ually attracted to each other way, because Jongin is straight, but they seem like good friends. They have inside jokes together that Sehun doesn’t get, can’t laugh at because he doesn’t understand. He doesn’t like feeling left out of a part of his best friend’s life.

 

He knows he’s being immature and selfish, but he really wishes Chanyeol would leave. He wants to kick back on the couch and have weekly movie night with Jongin, where they curl up under a blanket and Jongin falls asleep with his head in Sehun’s lap. But Jongin, for some reason, invites Chanyeol to stay for movie night and, suddenly, Sehun is tired and doesn’t feel like watching anything.

 

He tells Jongin goodnight and heads to his room where he lays under his covers and glares at his wall until he falls asleep.

 

 

 

 

Sehun curses himself for falling asleep so early when he wakes up at 8 in the morning. He doesn’t even have classes on Friday so now he has to find something to entertain himself with for the next five hours until Jongin gets back from his classes. He gets up and goes through his usual routine, brushes his teeth, washes his face, takes a long morning piss.

 

He’s still got his hand on his when he hears the front door opening and voices in the living room. He goes through confused and scared quickly, but then hears Jongin’s idiotic laughter.

 

“Hey, you’re up weirdly early,” Jongin says, giving Sehun a smile when he exits the bathroom into the living room.

 

“Yeah, I fell asleep early so…” his voice trails off, not really worried about explaining himself. He’s more concerned with wondering why Chanyeol is back, sitting on his couch. Once again, Sehun sits at the complete opposite end of the couch. “Chanyeol,” he says, giving him a civilized nod of acknowledgement.

 

“Hi,” Chanyeol replies softly, giving Sehun a cute little wave of his hand.

 

“You skip class today or something?” Sehun asks Jongin, rolling his eyes in annoyance when Chanyeol answers.

 

“Class was canceled. We’re apparently the only two who didn’t get the email and showed up for class.” He smiles, lips pressed together, little dimple showing. It’s cute as hell and Sehun hates it.

 

“Yeah,” Jongin says as he sits on the arm of the couch, letting himself slide down on top of Sehun. He flings dramatically onto his back and stretches his arms up above his head. “I got my up early, walked all the way across campus, just to be slapped in the face with a ‘class canceled’ paper taped to the door.”

 

“That ,” Sehun says as he tries not to focus on Jongin’s pressing hard into his crotch. “Dude, you’re so heavy. Get off of me.” He pushes at Jongin’s hip, both grunting as they wrestle, Jongin trying not to fall off the couch as Sehun keeps pushing.

 

Jongin’s lands on the carpet and he punches at Sehun’s shins a couple times before getting up on the couch, not on Sehun’s lap this time. “So, wanna play video games all day?”

 

Sehun almost says no, but the little pout and puppy dog eyes Jongin is giving him makes it impossible.

 

 

 

 

Five hours and nearly nine beers each later, tensions have settled and lips have loosened. Sehun slams his controller down, pissed at having lost anotherround of Mario Kart to Chanyeol who is, apparently, unbeatable.

 

“How the are you so good at this game?” he shouts, not angry, a little annoyed though. “Like, I never lose Mario Kart but you almost lapped me. Like, what the hell?”

 

Chanyeol smirks, something out of character for his usually quiet, reserved self. “I dunno, I’m just good I guess.” He adds a little shrug and shakes his empty beer, signaling the need for another round, which he stands to go retrieve.

 

“So,” Jongin says, leaning over so he can speak quietly, “you think Chanyeol’s gay?”

 

Sehun sputters, almost chokes on his last gulp of lukewarm beer. “How the hell am I supposed to know?”

 

Jongin makes a face and shrugs, “I don’t know. I thought gay people could just like, sense it?”

 

“That’s stupid. You’re stupid.”

 

Jongin’s eyes narrow and he purses his lips. He’s just about to say something when Chanyeol reenters the room, three beers in hand. “Who’s ready to lose some more?” he teases, then hands a beer off to Sehun then Jongin.

 

 

 

 

Thoroughly wasted now, all three boys sit sprawled out across the small couch. Sehun is at one end with Jongin’s head in his lap, and Chanyeol at the other with one arm comfortably draped over Jongin’s legs.

 

“You know,” Chanyeol says as he picks some fuzz from one of Jongin’s socks, “there’s this guy I really like.” Jongin and Sehun share a knowing look. “I’ve liked him for a while now.” He’s not looking at the other two, just staring off into space, as if he were talking to himself. “But like, we’re really good friends, you know? Like…what if I say something and ruin our friendship?”

 

To Sehun’s surprise, Jongin sits up with a serious face and says, “ it, dude. You gotta try.” He turns to Sehun, elbows him in the side to make him nod an agreement. “You like, can’t let that stop you from at least trying you know? Because like what if he does feel the same and things work out?”

 

Chanyeol is silent, just nodding along with Jongin’s inspirational words.

 

“Does he even like guys?” Sehun supplies, pessimistic as ever.

 

“He’s definitely shown interest in guys,” Chanyeol says with a smile that quickly fades, “just…never me.”

 

Jongin lies back down, returning his head to Sehun’s comfy, warm lap, and closes his eyes. “I say you still go for it,” he shrugs, “You never know if you don’t try.”

 

Chanyeol makes a face at Sehun when he notices his fingers curling through Jongin’s hair, then Sehun quickly pulls his hand away, fishes his phone from his pocket and pretends to be busy texting someone.

 

He wonders when Jongin became so opinionated. He frowns at his reflection in his now dimmed phone screen; if only he actually had the balls to take Jongin’s advice. If only his best friend had ever shown interest in a guy so he knew he even had a sliver of a chance with him. He gazes down at Jongin fast asleep in his lap and can’t help but smile; Jongin may be the reason for ninety percent of Sehun’s suffering, but he really does just love the out of him.