Final

Parachute

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has upvoted and commented, and everyone else who has hung around to read this through my irregular updates. This is the end and I'm really happy with how it came out. Let me know what you think! 

 


 

Halloween comes approximately one month after Sehun’s confession to Baekhyun. They’re not together, though they have gone on what most people would consider dates. And, on the 31st, when it’s time for one of the most popular frat’s annual Halloween party, Sehun and Baekhyun shimmy into their coordinated costumes and head out of their apartment to meet up with Chanyeol who has already been drinking at the party, Baekhyun assumes by the string of misspelled words in Chanyeol’s texts.

 

It takes only a moment to find Chanyeol in the crowded house. Even with everyone in costumes, he’s easily picked out of a crowd because of his height. Baekhyun leads Sehun over, having spotted Chanyeol first.

 

“Officer,” Chanyeol slurs, looking down and giving Baekhyun a sleazy smile. He hands Baekhyun an orange plastic cup and Sehun a black one, and grins. “You must be his prisoner?”

 

Sehun nods, “He insisted on a couples costume.”

 

“You love it,” Baekhyun says from behind the cup pressed to his lips. Sehun sneers and Baekhyun mirrors him. “Don’t make me use these,” he says, placing his hand over the handcuffs hanging from his beltloop.

 

Sehun rolls his eyes, but it’s harmless and half-hearted, and Baekhyun presses against him and smiles, and Sehun’s heart flutters.

 

“Alright,” Chanyeol says, raising his cup up high, “You two have all night to be gross, but right now, let’s get spooky wasted!”

 

It’s not a thing, definitely not. But, Chanyeol loves Halloween and he’s a little drunk, so they humor him and raise their cups along with him, shouting a cheers to a spooky night.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol’s birthday puts them at two months and three days since Sehun confessed to Baekhyun. He knows because he’s begun keeping track. He has a plan in his mind, a secret kept from Baekhyun, that he’ll ask him to be his boyfriend at the three month mark if things continue to go well between them. Chanyeol asks everyday if they’re dating yet, and the answer is always no. But, in the back of Sehun’s mind, he’s counting down the days until he can proudly say yes. Absolutely. Finally.

 

Again, Baekhyun is dragging Sehun by the wrist. They’re late for their dinner with Chanyeol and it has Baekhyun slightly panicked, taking longer strides and weaving through people on the crowded sidewalk. He curses a few times, wondering why so many people are even out in the cold to begin with. Sehun watches this all from behind, smiling.

 

“Sorry we’re late,” Baekhyun says; he’s slightly out of breath but he takes his seat with perfect posture and a gleaming smile. “We—”

 

Chanyeol wiggles his eyebrows before Baekhyun can finish and gets a weak slap to the arm.

 

“We fell asleep on the couch watching a nature documentary,” Baekhyun says with an unamused expression. “ert.”

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun engage in a stand-off, staring into each other’s eyes wordlessly. “So, happy birthday,” Sehun interrupts, and he’s pleased when Chanyeol breaks his and Baekhyun’s eye contact to grin at him.

 

“Thanks! Do I have presents?” He makes grabby hands in Sehun’s direction, eyes darting between Sehun, Baekhyun, and the giftbag pressed between them in the booth.

 

“So annoying,” Baekhyun says with a sigh, but he chuckles and hands over the bag.

 

The present is just something small; they are broke-ish college kids after all. But, Chanyeol loves it. He holds the small trinket up to his face, mouth hanging open as he twists and turns it in his hands.

 

“This is so cool,” Chanyeol whispers.

 

“Took me forever to find it online,” Baekhyun says before taking a sip of his water, “I had no idea it was called a celestial sphere.”

 

“Yeah!” Chanyeol is visibly excited, eyes wide as he nods happily at his best friend. “They’re used for figuring out the star’s locations in the sky depending on time and date and stuff. It’s super cool!”

 

“So, you like it?” Sehun asks, he’s joking because obviously Chanyeol loves it, but he’s amused by Chanyeol’s excitement.

 

“Dude, you have no idea. Everyone in my astro class is gonna be so jealous. I’m gonna wear it like a necklace.”

 

Baekhyun takes Sehun’s hand under the table; he laces their fingers and squeezes, giving Sehun a knowing little side-eye.

 

“So I heard about your girlfriend,” Baekhyun says suddenly, taking both Sehun and Chanyeol by surprise. Sehun kicks at Baekhyun’s foot, but Baekhyun ignores it in favor of staring expectantly at Chanyeol. He flutters his eyelashes.

 

“I…She’s not my girlfriend.” Chanyeol is staring at the table, giving the back of his head an awkward scratch. “She’s a…friend. We-we got coffee the other day.” He’s stammering, clearly nervous, caught in an uncomfortable situation. He assumed telling Sehun something in confidence would leave it between them, but he should know better that Baekhyun would find out eventually. “It wasn’t a date. I don’t think it was anyway. I don’t think she even likes me like that.”

 

“Do you like her like that?” Baekhyun pushes; his heart is swelling for his best friend. All he wants is to see Chanyeol happy.

 

Chanyeol looks up now, into Baekhyun’s eyes, and nods slowly. “I do, yeah.”

 

“She has to like you,” Baekhyun insists, “It’s you. What’s not to like?”

 

“You want me to leave you two alone?” Sehun interrupts the touching moment with a playful smirk; Baekhyun slaps his chest.

 

“Shut up, you big baby.” He nuzzles his cheek against Sehun’s bicep. “You know I like you best.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t even know why we’re doing this,” Baekhyun says as if he’s complaining, but his face gives away just how excited he is. “They’re going to like you no matter what.”

 

“They better,” Sehun says, plain and simple. “I’ve never met parents that didn’t like me, and I’m not about to ruin that streak.”

 

They’re baking Christmas cookies together because tomorrow is Christmas and Baekhyun’s parents are coming over, and Sehun is nervous. Baekhyun said the way to their hearts is through nicely decorated sugar cookies, so Sehun’s been stuffed into a frilly apron Baekhyun pulled from the depths of a cupboard. Baekhyun’s is by far more frilly, with little pink, sprinkled cupcakes on it and a band of glitter lining the edges. Sehun doesn’t even bother asking where or why Baekhyun got them. He just smiles as Baekhyun knots the ties into a bow behind his back.

 

“There,” Baekhyun says as he steps in front of Sehun, “now we’re ready to get baking.”

 

They make an absolute mess of the kitchen. It’s mostly Sehun’s doing; he’s uncoordinated with measuring spoons and doesn’t know much about baking in general. So, when he’s handed a whisk and the large bowl of various ingredients, he really goes for it, and flour ends up everywhere.

 

Baekhyun sighs, but he laughs. Sehun has an even coating of flour covering nearly his entire body.

 

“You look like the ghost of Christmas past,” Baekhyun teases.

 

Sehun stretches his shirt out and lets it snap back, sending a puff of flour bursting out. “I should probably go change.”

 

“Probably,” Baekhyun agrees, “I’ll clean up your mess and get the cookies in the oven.” They share a sweet smile before Sehun disappears into the living room.

 

When Sehun returns to the kitchen, now flour free, Chanyeol is in there holding two gift bags in one hand, while Baekhyun slaps at the other before he can scoop some of the frosting from the bowl with his fingers.

 

Sehun clears his throat to get their attention and Chanyeol quickly steals a finger of frosting while Baekhyun isn’t paying attention. When Sehun crosses the kitchen to stand beside Baekhyun, he’s forced back into his apron. Baekhyun then jams a hat onto Chanyeol’s head because he laughs and tells them they look ridiculous in their baking attire.

 

“Now everyone looks ridiculous,” Baekhyun teases as Chanyeol pouts over the large elf ears standing upright on either side of his hat.

 

Chanyeol’s pout is quickly replaced with a bright grin as he hoists the two bags up onto the table. “I got you each a gift. Didn’t know if it was appropriate or not to get you a couple’s gift yet.” The look he gives them is questioning.

 

“We’re taking things—”

 

“Slow, I know,” Chanyeol finishes for Baekhyun. “But, I mean come on.”

 

“You sound like you want this more than we do,” Sehun teases.

 

“I just…you know what? Leave me alone, you guys are mean. I should have just went to my girlfriend’s instead.” Chanyeol is fake pouting, and it’s hilarious paired with the elf hat he’s wearing. “And, I know you made me wear this hat because of my ears.”

 

Sehun and Baekhyun howl with laughter.

 

 

 

 

Before Sehun was around, Baekhyun and Chanyeol held the tradition of spending Christmas Eve together before they went their separate ways the next morning to visit their families. They would drink eggnog that was more rum than anything else, sing Christmas songs, and decorate cookies that they could bring home as gifts for their mothers.

 

This year is a little different though. The cookies are already baked and Chanyeol is only over to give Baekhyun and Sehun their gifts, then he’s going to his parent’s house a little early. Baekhyun had sulked at first when Chanyeol told him he wouldn’t be staying, but he said that it’s about time they broke their tradition in light of new ones. He meant, of course, for Sehun and Baekhyun together.

 

“We still have our Easter tradition,” Chanyeol jokes as he zips his coat. He’s on his way out the door, a cooled, undecorated sugar cookie hanging from his mouth. “I’ll never let that one go.”

 

Baekhyun glares. Chanyeol laughs. Sehun is confused.

 

“So,” Sehun says as he leans on the counter, watching Baekhyun cut cookie dough into various Christmas shapes. “What do you guys do for Easter?”

 

“It’s stupid.”

 

Sehun steps up behind Baekhyun; he slips his arms around his waist and rests his head on his shoulder. “I wanna know,” he murmurs.

 

Baekhyun sighs and reaches for his glass of wine. He’s calmed down his drinking since the terrible tequila night, as he and Sehun have rightfully named it. He’s a refined man now, only occasionally sipping from dollar store wine glasses filled with cheap, low-quality wine. After a large gulp, he turns to face Sehun. “We go to the mall and get our picture taken with the Easter Bunny.”

 

Sehun chuckles, “That is stupid.”

 

“I literally can’t even remember how we started doing it, but we do it every year.”

 

“You guys are idiots and I love it.”

 

“Yeah. I’ll show you the pictures later if you want.”

 

Sehun grabs Baekhyun’s wine glass and downs the rest of it before laughing. “I absolutely want to see the pictures.”

 

 

 

 

Like Baekhyun, Sehun had Christmas Eve traditions with Jongin. They would order in and watch those awful claymation movies, then get drunk off cheap beer that their older dorm neighbor would buy for them. He misses it now, looking back. He never thought he’d spend a Christmas away from him. Just then, Baekhyun smears red frosting across his cheek and Christmas memories with Jongin fade happily to the back of his mind.

 

They wrestle on the kitchen floor for a bit; Sehun is bigger so it’s easy to pin Baekhyun down and drizzle the thin icing from the piping bag onto his face.

 

“Stop! Stop! Oh my god, sto—” The rest of Baekhyun’s sentence is cut off as he gags on the icing Sehun squirts into his mouth. He chokes and, for a second Sehun looks worried, but then Baekhyun is laughing and giving Sehun a few weak punches. “That’s so mean!” he cries, “You could have killed me!”

 

Sehun stands and holds his hands out to help Baekhyun up. “You’re so dramatic.”

 

“I’m covered in frosting,” Baekhyun pouts, flicks at the dried icing on his shirt. “You’re so wasteful.”

 

“You started it.”

 

“You’re a child,” Baekhyun argues with a roll of his eyes.

 

“At least I don’t look like a child,” Sehun retorts, using his hand to measure the height difference between them.

 

Baekhyun’s jaw drops and he scoffs, “Rude.”

 

They fall silent for only a moment before bursting into laughter. Sehun grabs a few towels and tosses one to Baekhyun so they can begin cleaning up their mess which, upon further inspection, is much worse than they thought. Frosting is everywhere. The floor, the counter, sink, some even made it onto the kitchen table.

 

“Baek, you should probably go shower.” He waits for Baekhyun to look up at him, confused. “It kinda looks like someone came on your face.” He reaches out to pick at a bit of the white icing dried in Baekhyun’s hair and chuckles.

 

“Oh, you wish,” Baekhyun teases, raising one eyebrow at the other.

 

Maybe Baekhyun will blame it on the half-empty bottle of wine on the counter. Maybe he does it because Sehun is biting his bottom lip and it’s so incredibly enticing. Or maybe, it’s just because he’s wanted to do it for so long he can’t hold back any longer. But, he circles his hand around Sehun’s wrist and pulls him close.

 

And Sehun catches the tension between them, meeting Baekhyun’s eyes, his breath catches in his chest. In that stupid apron, with specks of frosting in his messy hair, even with his clothes half-covered in flour, Baekhyun is perfect. And, Sehun finally gives in. He stares at Baekhyun for a moment longer, gazes at the most beautiful person he’s ever met, inside and out. What has he been waiting for all this time?

 

Sehun his lips and, with a trembling hand, grips Baekhyun up by his apron, and pulls him in for a kiss. Baekhyun makes a pathetic little whining noise that would normally embarrass him, but he can’t be bothered enough to care. All his attention is focused on the feeling of Sehun’s lips against his. Then, Sehun takes a harsh breath in through his nose, grabs Baekhyun’s waist, and deepens the kiss, begins moving his lips while he steps forward to pin Baekhyun between himself and the counter. It’s slow and gentle; it’s everything Baekhyun has ever imagined a kiss with Sehun to feel like. 

 

As good as it feels, and as long overdue as it was, the kiss lasts no longer than a few seconds. Baekhyun can’t help but smile, and Sehun can feel the motion against his own lips, causing him to smile as well. And then, they’re breaking apart and giggling, blushing like a couple teenagers experiencing their first ever kiss.

 

“One more,” is all Baekhyun says. And, who is Sehun to deny such an endearing request?

 

Sehun dives back in, right where they left off. Baekhyun’s lips are soft and warm, and feel so right molding around his. Sehun pulls back, only for a moment, and Baekhyun’s eyes remain closed, lips still puckered and searching for Sehun’s.

 

“Please don’t stop,” Baekhyun whispers with a pout. “Please.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes shoot open when Sehun suddenly grips him up by the backs of his thigs to set him on the counter. He wants to yell at Sehun because he’s dangerously close to knocking cookies on the floor, but wet lips meeting his neck stop him. He gasps instead.

 

“Oh my god,” he breathes, bringing his legs up to wrap them tight around Sehun. He pulls him as close as physically possible.

 

They make out like that, with Sehun pressed between Baekhyun’s legs, until they’re both out of breath. When they pull apart they remain close, foreheads pressed together. Their eyes finally meet, and Baekhyun’s awed expression fills Sehun with a warmth that spreads through his entire body.

 

“I want hot chocolate.”

 

Sehun is reasonably stunned by Baekhyun’s statement and he leans back. “Seriously?”

 

“What?” Baekhyun’s pout is so cute Sehun melts inside, but remains outwardly resilient.

 

“We finally just kissed and all you can think about is hot chocolate?”

 

“Absolutely.” Baekhyun leans forward to hide his face in Sehun’s chest. “I always drink hot chocolate on Christmas Eve.”

 

Sehun wraps Baekhyun in his arms and rests his chin on Baekhyun’s head. He sighs a happy, thoughtful sigh, and squeezes his arms around the shorter boy. “Can we at least clean up first?” He pushes Baekhyun back so he can inspect him, “You really do look like a mess right now.”

 

Baekhyun scoffs, “You’re one to talk.” He swipes a finger through the frosting on Sehun’s cheek and pops it into his mouth. He chuckles when Sehun narrows his eyes. “Alright, I’ll go shower. And then you promise we can go?”

 

“I promise,” Sehun says, smiling softly.

 

Baekhyun returns the small smile and hops off the counter, heading for the bathroom.

 

“Baek, wait.” Sehun quickly grabs Baekhyun’s wrist and tugs him back. The shorter yelps as he stumbles back, falling against Sehun’s chest. Arms circle his waist and turn him so that they’re facing each other. Baekhyun is going to ask what’s going on, but the question dissolves as soon as Sehun’s lips overtake his own once again.

 

This kiss is different than the last. Sehun tilts his head, pulls Baekhyun’s bottom lip into his mouth; his fingertips dig into Baekhyun’s waist as he drags him closer, presses Baekhyun against his front.

 

Baekhyun giggles when they crash into the table behind him; Sehun’s hands begin feeling up and down his body as he works his tongue into his mouth. He takes a deep breath through his nose and pushes back, deepens the already fierce kiss.

 

They’re both panting when they break apart. Sehun’s hair is a mess, the remaining frosting on his cheek is now smeared around thanks to Baekhyun’s hand. Sehun takes a moment to lean back and look at Baekhyun. Just look. And appreciate everything about him. His pretty eyes, pink lips, cute little nose, and that freckle just above his lip that he’s never noticed but now wants to press his lips to. So he does. And Baekhyun pushes his entire body against Sehun’s, his hands gripping tight at the sides of Sehun’s shirt. He gasps into Sehun’s mouth, eyes fluttering as Sehun’s lips move to his jawline, down to his neck.

 

“,” Baekhyun pants, Sehun’s tongue a stripe from his collarbone to his earlobe, “I want you so bad.” Sehun bites down on his neck just then and Baekhyun moans. “Have for so long.”

 

More kissing. Then stumbling. Hands roaming and fondling, feeling all the unexplored parts of each other. Sehun groans when he bangs his shin against the coffee table in the living room; Baekhyun laughs and pushes Sehun down onto the couch and hops onto his lap. They’re still kissing.

 

Looking up at Baekhyun, Sehun’s heart is pounding. He wonders if Baekhyun is as calm as he looks. He can feel Baekhyun dragging gentle fingertips across the skin at the back of his neck and it causes a shiver down his spine. He’s never wanted someone so much in his life.

 

“No going back,” Baekhyun says.

 

“Not a chance,” Sehun agrees, eyes fixed on Baekhyun’s lips. Baekhyun smiles and Sehun can see the adoration in his eyes.

 

Their next kiss sends pleasant sparks shooting through Sehun’s body from head to toe, warming his skin, flushing his cheeks. He’d always imagined this is how it would feel to kiss Jongin and, as Baekhyun shifts in his lap to get a better angle on the kiss, Jongin is the furthest thing from his mind. But Baekhyun, he’s at the forefront. He’s the only thing Sehun could possibly think about right now; nothing else matters. His weight on Sehun’s legs, the gentle hands grasping at his shirt, the small whimpers that pass his lips when Sehun squeezes his hips. Every bit of Sehun’s mind is focused solely on Baekhyun, and it’s a freeing feeling.

 

With just a few minutes of kissing, years of pining, needing, wanting Jongin’s affection is wiped clean. There’s someone right in his lap willing to give him everything he’s always wanted. And god, does he want Baekhyun to give it to him.

 

Baekhyun gasps against Sehun’s lips, opening his mouth enough to allow Sehun to slip his tongue in. He lets a harsh breath out as he tugs Sehun’s hair, grinds his hips hard against Sehun’s lap. He’s wanted this for so long now there’s no possible way he can take things slow.

 

Sehun lets out a pleased hum and tosses his head back, thoroughly enjoying the fluid motion of Baekhyun’s hips. He wraps his arms around Baekhyun’s lower back and pulls him close; he giggles when Baekhyun yells as Sehun unexpectedly stands, taking Baekhyun with him. He stumbles his way down the hall, making out with Baekhyun and bouncing off walls until he finally makes it to his bedroom where he fumbles with the doorknob for a minute before getting the door open. He marches over to his bed and tosses Baekhyun onto it, wasting no time in pulling his shirt over his head and crawling slowly to his new favorite place between Baekhyun’s legs.

 

“Wait,” Baekhyun puts both hands up, stopping Sehun’s movements, “Wait…just give me one second.”

 

Sehun raises a confused brow, but pauses, staring down at Baekhyun. He’s lying on his back, elbows digging into the mattress holding him up; his hair is messy and chest heaving.

 

“I just,” he smiles, “want to appreciate this moment because I’ve been waiting so long.” Sehun narrows his eyes. “And you just look so good shirtless.”

 

Sehun hums, pulls his bottom lip between his teeth. “Cute,” he mutters. He watches Baekhyun’s eyes as they move from his face, trailing down his body. “You’re checking me out, aren’t you?” Sehun’s teasing now.

 

“I checked you out at the library the day we met, and this is way overdue.” He shoots finger guns at Sehun and winks.

 

Sehun wants to groan at the cheesy line and laugh at Baekhyun for even thinking it up, but he settles for just rolling his eyes. Besides, he agrees with Baekhyun; they’ve both waited much too long for this moment.

 

Sehun wishes he had a good comeback, but he’s not witty like Baekhyun. He stares down at the pretty boy beneath him, all soft skin and radiating body heat. Baekhyun doesn’t look real in the dim lighting, too beautiful, too perfect to be anything other than an angel. With just the slight upturn of the corners of Baekhyun’s lips, all of Sehun’s worries and fears dissolve.

 

“Be my boyfriend.”

 

The faint grin turns into a full, blinding smile, and Baekhyun grabs Sehun and pulls him down into a sweet, sweet kiss. When they pull apart, Baekhyun’s arms stay wrapped securely around Sehun’s neck; he’s grinning like a fool because Sehun is all his.

 

“This better not just be your way out of buying me an actual Christmas present.”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes again and chuckles into the side of Baekhyun’s neck where his face is hidden. “You’re so stupid.” He looks up and meets Baekhyun’s eyes. “Of course I got you a present. There’d be no end to your complaining if I didn’t.”

 

 

 

 

It’s cold out. The sun already set, and snow is beginning to fall. They’re both wrapped head to toe in thick winter clothes; Baekhyun’s face is nearly completely hidden beneath his hat and fluffy scarf. Sehun takes his hand and Baekhyun looks up at him, blinks, and then smiles.

 

Baekhyun can’t keep his mind from wandering as they walk, remembering each kiss they shared, every inch of his body Sehun put his hands on, Sehun’s mouth kissing searing trails he’s only ever dreamed of. Sehun touched him in all the gentle ways he’s always dreamed of. He blushes, cheeks hot against the cold winter air biting his skin.

 

“You’re staring again.”

 

Baekhyun shyly shifts his eyes to the ground ahead and pulls his scarf further up, over his nose to hide more of his face. “Sorry,” he says in a muffled voice. He looks back to Sehun, turning his head this time.

 

Sehun doesn’t look, but he can see Baekhyun’s head turn in his peripherals. He sighs, not annoyed but amused, and stops walking. Baekhyun doesn’t need to ask; Sehun crouches down and smiles, just waiting for Baekhyun to climb up onto his back. They continue walking like that.

 

“This feels different now,” Baekhyun says with his arms wrapped tight around Sehun’s neck.

 

“Probably because we’re sober,” Sehun teases.

 

Baekhyun hums in thought. “Probably.” He’s silent for a moment. “Have you really only ever carried me like this when we’re drunk?”

 

“I think so,” Sehun shrugs. He smiles when Baekhyun rests his head on his shoulder and kisses his cheek. “Your little legs can’t walk that far normally, so drunk you is basically helpless.”

 

“Hey!” Baekhyun kicks at Sehun’s thigh and they both laugh. “Hurry up, I want my hot chocolate.”

 

 

 

 

The door swings open with the soft chime of a bell, alerting the cashier of a new customer. Baekhyun had slid down Sehun’s body a block back to walk on his own and took his hand as they walked side by side. He steps into the café first and yelps softly when he’s yanked back by their intertwined fingers. He turns and Sehun is standing still in the doorway.

 

It’s been months. Sehun can’t count the exact amount of days, but he knows it’s been at least two full months since he’s been this near to him. There was the one morning in early October when he’d seen him walking on campus, rushing to class with a coffee in his hand. But this, being in the same room with no possibility of hiding behind campus shrubbery, this has Sehun’s blood turning cold, freezing in his veins.

 

Baekhyun follows Sehun’s eyes, curious as to what has Sehun’s skin paling like a ghost. He gulps and leans up to give Sehun’s cheek a gentle kiss. He presses the tip of his nose to Sehun’s cheek. “You go. I’ll order for us,” he whispers before sauntering off toward the counter.

 

It takes a moment for Jongin to look up from his laptop, but when he does, his eyes meet Sehun’s almost instantly. His eyes widen in shock for only a moment, but then his expression softens and he gives Sehun a small, unsure smile before closing his laptop.

 

Sehun thought this would be more difficult, facing Jongin after so long. But, his legs carry him forward with very little hesitation until his thighs are bumping Jongin’s table and he’s staring down at his used-to-be best friend.

 

“Hi,” Sehun speaks first, voice surprisingly calm.

 

“Hey.” Jongin can’t bring himself to meet Sehun’s eyes, not this close up. He’s fidgeting with his pen, the corner of his notebook, anything to avoid meeting Sehun’s gaze. “How’ve you been?”

 

“Good.” Sehun clears his throat, nods to himself because Jongin still won’t look at him. “Good. You?”

 

Jongin smiles, barely noticeable; he looks up at Sehun now. His smile is fake, pained. “I’ve been okay.”

 

Sehun sees it now, the tiredness in Jongin’s eyes, on his face. His hair isn’t styled, just sitting atop his head in a messy heap. It’s Jongin, but it’s not the same Jongin Sehun has always known. There’s a coffee stain on his pale yellow shirt and he just looks, sad.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin interrupts Sehun’s thoughts. “I-I know it doesn’t mean anything to you—” Jongin tries his hardest to smile but his lips just tremble, “—but I am.” He takes a deep breath, forcing himself to continue with his apology. “I tried calling you a million times, and texting. I just, I wanted you to know that I hate myself for what I did to you. You didn’t deserve it, and I’m a selfish . I didn’t want to lose you as a friend and in my stupid head I thought lying to you was the best solution.”

 

“Jongin—”

 

“No, please let me get this all out. Please.” He waits until Sehun nods, and then continues. “I just want you to know that I didn’t mean to hurt you like I did, and I regret all the terrible things I said to you that day.”

 

Sehun can tell Jongin has thought about all of this, that he must have rehearsed it time and time again in his head, just waiting for the opportunity to finally apologize. “Jongin, you really don’t have to do this. Seriously, I’m okay.”

 

“I just miss you,” Jongin says, voice breaking as he chokes up, trying hard to keep his tears from falling. The whites of his eyes are bloodshot, his lips downturned in a pathetic pout; Sehun’s heart breaks for him. He knows how this feels.

 

Sehun sits and reaches out for Jongin’s hand. “I miss you too. All the time.”

 

Jongin smiles and his eyes light up, narrowing enough to push his tears out and trailing down his cheeks. “But?”

 

“No buts,” Sehun shakes his head. “You’ve been my best friend for too many years for there to be a catch. I just miss doing stupid with you.”

 

Jongin squeezes Sehun’s hand still holding his and grins, sincere and happy. “We should hang out soon, catch up.”

 

Sehun nods, but before he can voice his agreement Baekhyun drapes his arms over his shoulders from behind, a cup of hot chocolate in each hand. Sehun takes one and places it on the table.

 

“Hi Jongin.”

 

“Hey,” Jongin says, suddenly nervous again, returning to ripping small bits of his notebook paper out.

 

“I’m not gonna bite your head off, don’t worry,” Baekhyun jokes. He sits and straightens himself as takes a sip of his drink. “So, are you two okay now?” Sehun and Jongin both nod, Baekhyun beams happily at this. He takes a moment to look between the two before sighing dreamily. He leans over to rest his head on Sehun’s shoulder, “We should get going soon.”

 

Sehun nods, pats Baekhyun’s thigh under the table. Baekhyun jumps to his feet, sensing that the two estranged friends have a little more to talk about, and he doesn’t want to intrude. He removes himself from the vicinity, stands by the door to wait for Sehun with a pleasant, happy smile on his face.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin repeats; he knows Sehun is likely tired of hearing it, but he just can’t seem to quit apologizing. “I hope you know how much I mean it.”

 

“I do,” Sehun says quietly. “I know, Jongin. And, I’m sorry too, for putting you in such a weird position. What happened between us was both our faults. Not just yours.” He pats Jongin’s hand one last time and stands, taking his cup with him. “I have to go, though. Text me.”

 

He turns and sees Baekhyun standing at the door, holding up a questioning thumbs up. Sehun returns the gesture and Baekhyun grins excitedly, does a little dance with his shoulders.

 

“Sehun?”

 

“Hm?” Sehun stops and turns back to Jongin.

 

“You two are really cute together,” he says, jerking his chin in the direction of Baekhyun. “I’m happy for you.”

 

Sehun’s heart swells; Jongin looks so sincere. “Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

They remain silent for the first few blocks of their walk home. The air has gotten noticeably cooler, the wind picked up just a little; Baekhyun has himself pressed tightly against Sehun where he can hide his face from the cold in his coat sleeve.

 

“Was it weird?” Baekhyun asks, “Seeing Jongin again?” He nuzzles his red nose further into Sehun’s arm and sniffles.

 

“Not really,” Sehun admits. He shrugs, then drapes an arm around Baekhyun when he feels him shiver. “I thought it would be, but it wasn’t.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

They fall into a silence again as they continue walking, their apartment only a block away now. Sehun can tell Baekhyun wants to say something as he takes a peek down at him.

 

“Just ask me,” Sehun says.

 

And when Baekhyun looks up, trying to feign confusion, he knows Sehun knows what he was thinking. “I don’t wanna,” he pouts. “I don’t think I could deal with hearing the wrong answer.”

 

Sehun stops, now in front of their building, and grabs Baekhyun by his shoulders. “Look at me.” He waits for Baekhyun to look up, eyes unsure and scared. “Do you think I would have let everything we did earlier happen if I was just gonna run back to Jongin the first chance I got?”

 

Baekhyun hangs his head once again and shrugs his shoulders. The tight hug Sehun pulls him into is warm and comforting, and he almost forgets he’s upset for a second.

 

“I just, I know how you felt about him and—”

 

Sehun cuts him off with a quick kiss. “And, how do you think I feel about you now?” Baekhyun shrugs once again and Sehun sighs. “You’re the one who taught me it’s not good to bottle up feelings, Baekhyun. So I’m not anymore. I love you, plain and simple.” Baekhyun’s head snaps up at the mention of love. “Now hurry up and say it back so we can kiss and then go inside, because I’m freezing.”

 

Baekhyun tries hard to keep himself from smiling, but Sehun is just too damn cute. He chews the inside of his bottom lip for a minute, then pushes up onto his toes and smashes their lips together.

 

“I love you,” he whispers, and is pleased to feel Sehun smiling against his lips. He looks at his wrist and grins wide, looking up at Sehun. “And if my watch is correct, it’s now after midnight which means it’s Christmas and you owe me one present.”

 

Sehun pulls Baekhyun into his arms, squeezing tight, pressing him firm against his chest. His laugh bubbles out, light and carefree, and he just smiles as the wind whips strands of Baekhyun’s hair into his eyes.

 

“You’re not even wearing a watch you little .”

 

Baekhyun peeks up at him and hops up to give his lips a quick peck. “Don’t need one to know it’s present time.”

 

And Sehun chases Baekhyun up the stairs, scrambling loudly down the halls where he catches him just before he can turn the doorknob. They share another kiss in the doorway before going inside where Sehun digs through a drawer to retrieve his gift for Baekhyun. They open their presents for each other, finish their hot chocolates and eat too many cookies. When Baekhyun falls asleep wrapped in Sehun’s arms on the couch, mid-way through a cheesy Christmas movie, Sehun can’t help but smile. He pulls Baekhyun closer and closes his eyes, drifting off to thoughts of his future and the role Baekhyun is sure to play in it.