Ch 4

Parachute

Baekhyun is interesting, Sehun decides on their third time hanging out. He’s so unashamedly flirtatious, yet just distant enough to define their status as strictly friends. It has Sehun’s head spinning, in a good, entertaining way, he has to admit. Baekhyun is fun, plain and simple.

 

And on this cold, cold Friday night, neither having any classwork left to do, Baekhyun has Sehun in a dimly lit corner of a bar, shouting sweet, friendly nothings into his ear. They’ve both had quite a bit to drink; Baekhyun’s hands linger a little longer on Sehun than usual, but still, everything feels so incredibly casual. They’re friends, and that’s all.

 

Baekhyun talks Sehun into dancing with him. He’s blown away by how easily Baekhyun shakes his on the dancefloor, like there aren’t a hundred people around, some of them watching. It reminds him of Jongin; he’s always been a confident dancer. y too. But, he and Jongin don’t really go to clubs, it’s not their scene. It surely isn’t Sehun’s scene, but being here with Baekhyun makes him feel as if he isn’t underdressed and that he actually does fit in. Still, he’d rather be in a dingy frat house gulping beer from plastic cups.

 

Sehun is pouring sweat when Baekhyun finally decides he’s had his fill of dancing. He clutches the front of Sehun’s damp shirt and begins tugging him along, off the dancefloor, away from the strobing lights, and back to their dark corner table.

 

Sehun sits on one side, thinking momentarily how he’s amazed no one took the table over while they were away. He thinks of Jongin for a moment, wonders what he’s doing right now. Then he focuses on Baekhyun across from him, flagging down a waitress, placing an order for another round of drinks for them. He smiles; Baekhyun sees from the corner of his eye.

 

“What’s the smile for?” Baekhyun asks once the waitress leaves.

 

“I don’t know,” Sehun shrugs, “I’m just having fun, I guess.”

 

Baekhyun smiles now, too. “Only guess? You’re not sure you’re having fun?” He raises an amused brow at Sehun’s scandalized expression. “Only joking,” he says with a wistful wave of his hand. “I’m glad you’re having a good time.” He gives Sehun a look, one Sehun has trouble discerning with his alcohol clouded brain. “I’m having fun, too.” The waitress returns with their drinks, and they continue talking.

 

 

 

 

“Where are you taking me?” Baekhyun shouts through bellowing laughter.

 

He’s been hoisted up onto Sehun’s back, his legs wrapped around Sehun’s narrow hips and arms around his neck. It’s cozy. He can’t stop laughing as Sehun struggles to keep a straight path along the sidewalk; Baekhyun knows he must be heavy, and the alcohol doesn’t help either.

 

“Don’t drop me!” Baekhyun yells, laughs some more. He tugs at Sehun’s hair, trying to pull him in the opposite direction he’s leaning. “Oh my god, put me down.” He smacks at Sehun’s face, laughs at Sehun’s attempt to bite his fingers. “Put me down. Put me down!”

 

“I was trying to be helpful,” Sehun says, out of breath, as he bends down to let Baekhyun climb off of him. “Why are you so heavy?” He looks Baekhyun up and down, trying to figure out where he’s hiding so much weight. Baekhyun notices, does a little spin that he finishes off with a wink.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” he teases, pressing his palm flat against Sehun’s chest. He shivers and shoves his hands into his pockets. “Let’s go, I’m freezing.”

 

They remain silent for a while, listening to their feet hit the pavement as they walk. Sehun looks up at the clouds, gray and dull; he hopes it doesn’t snow. He wonders if Jongin will be awake when he gets home. His heart hurts and he shivers, suddenly cold. He can see his breath when he sighs.

 

“I wanna meet him,” Baekhyun says. He bumps his hip against Sehun’s and looks up to smile at him. “I’d like to see who’s so great that he’s got you all sad after such a fun night.” He’s hoping for Sehun to laugh, smile even, but he just shivers. “I’m sorry,” Baekhyun says, “I shouldn’t have said anything.”

 

“No. No, it’s fine,” Sehun insists. “I’msorry. I can’t help it; he always just pops into my head.”

 

Baekhyun links his arm with Sehun’s and clears his throat. “I know it’s not really my place to say but…he’s stupid if he doesn’t see how amazing you are. Like, I just had the best time with you.”

 

Sehun’s taken aback by that comment, but doesn’t let it show on his face. Instead, he tightens his arm around Baekhyun’s and picks up their walking pace. “I kinda don’t wanna go home yet.” He sees Baekhyun’s smile from the corner of his eye. And then, he’s letting go and jumping in front of Sehun, putting both hands on his chest as he continues walking backwards.

 

“I was so hoping you were gonna say that!”

 

 

 

 

He doesn’t know how he got here, or why. Baekhyun is persuasive; his glimmering little grin helps, gets people to do what he wants.

 

He’s seated in a chair, nice and comfy, padding on the arms that his fingers are digging into. From somewhere behind him he can hear Baekhyun giggling at his expense, and he just wants to sink into the chair and die.

 

The stripper is pretty. It was a funny idea; they’d laughed about it as they drunkenly stumbled into the strip club, laughed as they walked to the counter, giggled as Baekhyun dragged him to the chair he’s now sitting in. But, now that he’s here, going in full force, it’s a lot less funny. He feels weird, icky, kind of like he needs to go home and shower himself sober. And, Baekhyun just can’t stop laughing at him.

 

When his few minutes are up and the girl leaves them alone, taking with her a few bills Baekhyun dug out of his pocket, Baekhyun climbs over the arm of the chair and sits himself right on Sehun’s lap with his legs thrown to the side, that blinding smile back on his face.

 

“I’m so sorry, you looked so uncomfortable the entire time.” He’s apologizing, but the laugh he’s holding back makes it less sincere. “It was so damn funny though, oh god, I’m so sorry.”

 

Sehun’s hands are on Baekhyun, one on his thigh, the other on his waist keeping him steady. “I’m just glad it’s over, that was the worst. You’re the worst.”

 

Baekhyun bites his bottom lip as he smiles wide at Sehun. He doesn’t say anything, just holds eye contact, then hums while he drags the tip of his finger down Sehun’s chest. When he finally looks away he clears his throat and hops up off of Sehun’s lap. He holds his arms out to help Sehun up and they stumble together before catching their balance.

 

“I’m too drunk to be in public, I think,” Baekhyun says, thankful for Sehun’s hand still on his waist keeping him steady. “Walk me home.”

 

Sehun nods and follows Baekhyun out of the club.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is walking backwards in front of Sehun again, a happy bounce in his step. They’re almost to his dorm, he realizes, so he slows his steps; he doesn’t want to go home just yet. All that’s waiting for him there is his small bed and leftover pizza, both incomparable to hanging out with Sehun.

 

“Why are you pouting?” Sehun asks; he turns Baekhyun around and drapes his long arms over his shoulders as they continue walking.

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “I don’t want to sound like a needy baby but like, I don’t wanna stop hanging out. I’m having a lot of fun.”

 

Sehun suddenly pulls Baekhyun back, laughing as he trips over his own feet, and shakes Baekhyun back and forth a little. “Then let’s keep hanging out,” he agrees; he’s having fun too.

 

 

 

 

At 2:37am Sehun fumbles with his key, struggles to slide it into the lock, drops it and sighs, and finally, the door swings open. He looks up as he’s reaching down for his key and is greeted with the pleasant sight of a shirtless Jongin. But, Jongin isn’t looking at him, he’s staring at Baekhyun standing directly behind a bent over Sehun.

 

“Dude, it’s so ing late what the hell,” Jongin says, unamused at the two drunk idiots giggling in the doorway.

 

“Nice to meet you! I’m Baekhyun!” He shoves his hand in Jongin’s face, waiting for him to shake it.

 

Sehun straightens up and enters the dorm, pushing past Jongin and heading straight for the couch. His hand is wrapped tight around Baekhyun’s, dragging him along with him, and they fall onto the couch together, Baekhyun snuggling close to him.

 

Jongin sits on the chair beside the couch with a sigh. “You two look cozy. Should I leave?” He grins, raises an eyebrow at Sehun.

 

“No.”

 

“Yes.” Baekhyun teases, flipping over to rest his head in Sehun’s lap. He reaches up, tangles fingers in Sehun’s pretty, silvery-blond hair.

 

“No,” Sehun reaffirms, “We’re just hanging out.”

 

“Sure,” Jongin says offhandedly, “just hanging out,” he mocks with a roll of his eyes.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t like him already. He turns away from Jongin to make a displeased face before returning to annoying Sehun with his hands. He traces his fingers all across Sehun’s face, pokes at his neck, jams his pinky up his nose.

 

“Show me your room,” he says quietly, not even bothering to look over at Jongin; he knows he’s got some dumb, smug look on his face. He bats his eyes up at Sehun, smiles when he finally looks away from Jongin to look down at him still in his lap.

 

“Uh, sure. Sure.” Sehun stands and leads Baekhyun to his room, face burning red at the kissy noises Jongin begins making at the two just before Sehun shuts his door.

 

 

 

 

“That’s the guy you like?” Baekhyun says with a hand on his hip. “He’s…kind of a jerk.”

 

“He’s not,” Sehun defends quickly. “He just gets irritable when he gets woken up.”

 

Baekhyun makes a face, deciding to drop it. “So,” he says instead, walking a slow circle around the room, “this is your room, huh?” Sehun hums, nods. “Not really what I expected.”

 

“What did you expect?”

 

“To be honest?” He turns to Sehun, “A Jongin shrine.”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes, “Shut up. I’m pathetic, not creepy.”

 

Baekhyun pushes his bottom lip out and steps closer to Sehun. “You’re not pathetic. You’re cute. It’s cute,” he corrects. He yawns then, “I’m tired.”

 

Sehun smirks, “You wanted to come here so you could cuddle with me, didn’t you?”

 

Baekhyun looks offended, “What? Of course not! I wanted to meet Jongin.” He grins, “But, now that you mention it, cuddling does sound pretty nice. I love a good friendly cuddle.”

 

Sehun’s eyes narrow, “Okay, but keep your hands to yourself.”

 

Baekhyun squeals and jumps into Sehun’s bed, patting the mattress beside him. “Hurry up, I’m not gonna cuddle myself.”