Chapter Forty-One

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*A/N: This is an isn't the same chapter, after some talks with some awesome people who gave me some feedback I decided it needed to be rewritten. This chapter went from one chapter to two and almost thripled in word count, it is the chapters the story deserved, so even if you have read it and liked it, I think you will like this version much better! SO thank you Memes and my editor for all your hard work in helping me improve it.* 

Her whole body shook with the fever. Curled up on her side, trying to ease the nausea in her stomach. She hated being sick, it was not fun, but it happened every single year for as long as she could remember. There was a creak on the wood floors outside her room, a whine rose in , she wanted comfort, she wanted her mother. 

Byul slid from her bed with shaky legs. She knew her mother would be out in the kitchen, fixing her a tonic for her fever. She opened the door slowly, almost painfully, it was a shock that she was even able to stand, she hadn't been able to keep any food down in the last few days. Through the crack in the door, she saw the familiar blonde hair of her mother standing at the hearth, cooking a pot over it. She almost threw the door open and ran to her mother, wanting to feel her arms wrap around her and make her feel better. However, another person was with her. “Are you sure about this JiHye?” TaeOh’s mom was sitting across from her, looking concerned. “You told me this is something you never wanted to do.”

Byul’s mother’s brow creased. “I felt it SoMin, I feel it, they are coming, this is all I can do.” Byul hid behind her door, listening intently to the words her mother was saying, she seemed sad and angry, she would be angrier if she saw Byul out of bed. 

A sound from the other room. “What will happen, it won’t return next year?” 

“No, not until it is undone with this.” There was scraping of the pot, liquid being poured out. “I need to do this tonight, you know how to fix it…”

“You will fix it JiHye.” TaeOh’s mother made a sound. 

“I need to get this to Byul.” Upon hearing that, Byul scurried back to bed. 

She sat as straight as she could, trying to pretend like she wasn’t just listening to what they were saying, heart racing in her chest. Her mother smiled as she entered, in her hand was the tonic, only it wasn’t. The one her mother usually made looked like the cherries that grew in their garden, this one was darker, deeper, purple like the vegetable in the garden that tastes bad. Byul felt her stomach curl at the site of it. It usually tastes really bad, this one could only taste worse, she must be more sick than usual. 

Her mother sat on the edge of her bed, her long arm reached out, and tucked a chunk of Byul’s hair behind her ear, one that was stuck to the side of her face with sweat. “How are you feeling sweetheart?” 

Byul tried to smile, she felt horrible but her mother was here now so she felt a lot better. “I’m okay.” 

Her mother smiled at her, but it seemed different. “You will feel much better once you drink this.” Byul must have made a face because her mother laughed. “I know it doesn’t taste good but it will make you better, stronger, and when you’re better you can go out and play, your aunt SoMin tells me TaeOh misses you terribly.” Byul perked up at the mention of her best friend. “Now be a good girl and drink up.” Byul’s mother held the cup to her lips, tipping the drink in . It tasted like rotting food, she almost threw it back up. It burned on the way down, making tears come to her eyes. But once she finished her mother gave her a warm smile. “There is my good girl.” She shifted so she was laying beside Byul. Byul curled up on her side and put her head in her mother’s lap, her mother automatically smoothing her hair, lulling her to sleep. “I love you Byul, remember that.” She whispered. “You are my strong girl, more strong than you know.” The last words were heard from far away, sleep had already taken her by the hand. 


 

TaeOh’s head felt shaken as he had just spun around the room a hundred times at a high speed. He wasn’t expecting YongSun to blast them all with power, he wasn’t even sure she had meant to. One second his eyes were on Byul, then the next they were on the king, brain making the connections with the words he was speaking. 

Byul, his Byul, his little sister was the other half of the Uju, the Lunarous. It was not something he could wrap his head around, especially not with his brain still swimming around in his skull. 

It didn’t make complete sense, he had known Byul her whole life and not once had she exhibited some sort of power, at least none he had ever seen. There was a nagging voice in his mixed-up head telling him they never saw YongSun’s power until they reached the Knight. He didn’t want to believe it but it seemed Henry was certain, and apparently so was YongSun, for her to cause such a rush of power like that. Once he threatened Byul it was as if she just flipped a switch of power.

With his head in pain it was hard for him to remember what YongSun did. He didn’t even know she was capable of such power. Her arms shot out in front of her like she was being controlled, a wave of pure light flung from her with so much force it threw all of them in different directions. He knew she had been practicing but not to this level, and not this soon after waking up from the potion.

TaeOh ended up being the least hurt of the group. His head was flat against the wall so his brain got just scrambled instead of smashed. Byul’s chair uprooted and shot across the room, shattering against the wall, her head smacking against the thick cement as it did. Henry and JongKook got thrown back, neither of them hit a wall but they hit the floor quite hard, all but TaeOh were unconscious. 

YongSun stood, arms still extended, seemingly unaffected by the blast. There was something off about her. She lowered her arms mechanically. Her posture was so perfect it didn’t even look like she was human. 

He could only see her profile, her eyes fixed upon the fallen King as if he was a mere bug she was inspecting on the floor, face so blank it was eerie. The shackles were molten iron at her feet. The more TaeOh looked at her, it almost looked like power was radiating off of her, like small waves of energy washing over her, like a phantom skin. Her eyes seemed to glow in the dim light as if they were made of liquid gold. She was not YongSun anymore, she was a source of pure power, he could feel it from where he sat. 

In the seconds following the blast, it felt as if time just stood still leaving nothing but silence. Then, like snapping fingers, the sound came crashing into existence, an echo of the power, so loud he wished he covered his ears. The ground beneath them began to shake like an earthquake rattling the floor. TaeOh looked up, dust began to fall from the fractures in the ceiling, the room seemed to be breaking apart, they needed to get out of here.

YongSun turned her head towards him so quickly he thought her neck would snap from the force. She lifted her hand, and using her first two fingers she shot a beam in his direction. TaeOh flinched and tried to turn away from her, convinced she was going to kill him. His wrist burned like fire danced upon it, his shackle liquified and fell to the floor, releasing one of his arms. He looked back at the golden-eyed YongSun, she made him feel uneasy, he wasn’t sure if she was going to save them or kill them. She let loose another beam and freed his other hand. 

The room did not stop sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter