Chapter Nine

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ernesto was indeed an old man. TaeOh was also right about him seeming harmless, he looked like a nie old man, kind behind his eyes. Byul still felt herself shift closer to YongSun. TaeOh took the lead as always, YongSun was in the middle and Byul was bringing up the rear. They had been examining the man from one of the windows of his shop for a few minutes before they even walked up to the door. The building was two stories, made of old grey brick, two doors, on at the front and one at the back and a total of ten windows. That means a total of twelve visible exits, not knowing the complete interior was going to be a problem but at least they had an idea about an escape if needed. 

The store itself was kind of a message to the North king. Magic had been eradicated from the south and it was because of his family and him. Apothecary was viewed as a type of magic even if it was only really herbs and such, but even the fact Ernesto is referred to as a sorcerer is saying something. TaeOh finally motioned that they could enter the shop and they all fell into their single line. Byul could see YongSun preparing herself, her posture straightened and there was this feeling of power coming from her, the princess was back. 

The inside of the store was not unlike some of the other apothecary shops Byul had been to over the years, it was cramped with tables and shelves and cabinets, each filled with bottles or herbs or other objects, there wasn’t much room to move around. As soon as the bell above their heads chimed as they opened the door, the man appeared from behind his counter. He gave them a friendly smile, skin wrinkling around his soft brown eyes. He didn’t seem phased by the three hooded figures in front of him, TaeOh thought it best if they hid their faces until the time was right. “Hello, welcome to my shop.” He took a slight bow. “I am Ernesto, how may I help you?” 

TaeOh took a step forward and Byul automatically moved closer to the princess, making sure she was protected. He slowly pulled back his hood and gave his very friendly TaeOh smile. “I am JongYoon, these are my sisters, we were sent here because you may have some information that we need.”

Ernesto looked him over carefully. “I assure you, whatever you were sent here for I do not have your answers, unless it is medically related.” There was a hard warning to his voice that told them there was obviously something he was trying to say beyond his words. “Now if you need an elixir I can help you.” He motioned around the room. “But if there was something else you were looking for then I am sorry but I can not help.”

“Please sir.” YongSun said, making  Byul’s blood run cold, she moved forward to grab the princess from doing something stupid. Even TaeOh spun. But it was too late, YongSun shook her hood back revealing her face. 

Ernesto’s face went white as he stared at YongSun for a good minute, everyone in complete silence. His hand finally went to his heart and a small smile spread across his face. “Princess, I am so very glad and honoured to see you.” He looked on the verge of tears. “I thought with the death of your father, that something terrible had befallen you.”

Byul remained slightly shocked at his reaction, she still didn’t trust him at all, not when it came to YongSun’s safety. “So I guess you can help us after all.” TaeOh remarked. 

Ernesto looked at him. “My apologies JongYoon but I have been sought out by so many, and most think I can somehow spark magic back in this land, some try to kill me for keeping the memory of magic alive, I never know who will come looking next.”

“My name is TaeOh.” He said politely with a bow. “I understand your position and thank you for hearing us out.”

“Of course.” Ernesto said. “I made a vow the day the Princess was born to protect her at all costs.” 

YongSun gave him a shocked look. “You did what?” She glanced back a Byul. Byul was still standing very close to her, just in case. “Then how come I’ve never heard of you before?”

“The day your father would have uttered my name to you would be the worst day in the world. It means that you were no longer safe, and sending you to me was the last resort.” He looked over at TaeOh and then Byul. “I am just glad he found you someone to you here before his death.”

“He didn’t” YongSun’s voice cracked. “He didn’t have the time to.” YongSun took a step back, until her shoulder was touching Byul’s. “I lucked out that these two amazing warriors were the ones to be there when he died, or else I don’t know what would have happened to me.” Byul could hear the waver in her voice and it made Byul’s heart sink, she wanted nothing more than to embrace the princess to make her feel better. “But I must know why my father sent me to you, and what was this vow you made him?” 

Ernesto looked sad like he was just about to tell her that her father died all over again. “Soon princess, you all need to rest first, eat a hot meal, then we'll talk. It will not be an easy conversation for anyone to hear.” 

YongSun stepped forward as if to argue with him but Byul quickly grabbed her wrist. “I think that would be best.” The first words she said since they walked in. When YongSun looked over at her, slightly hurt, she continued. “We are all exhausted YongSun if we are truly to understand everything, we need clear heads.” YongSun must have seen something in Byul’s eyes because she firmly nodded. 

Ernesto clapped his hands together. “Great, let me show you some rooms you can rest up in.” In their line, they followed the man up the stairs to the second floor. 

YongSun didn’t want to rest. She didn’t want to get cleaned up, she didn’t want to eat, she wanted answers and she wanted them now. However, she listened to Byul and followed them up to the second floor. Ernesto showed them to a few rooms but all of them insisted on being in the same one, they shouldn’t split up until they thought they were safe. One look at Byul’s face and YongSun knew it was a good idea to rest, it was very pale and she looked exhausted, most likely the result of being really injured and having to walk all day just to get YongSun here.

Ernesto gave them the biggest room he had, which was not very big but the bed looked big enough to sleep at least two of them, which worked out since they sleep in shifts. He showed them where the bathroom was and said he would be back in a bit with food but he had to attend his store front, so they would talk after dark over dinner. TaeOh and YongSun decided Byul should wash up first, her wound needed a good clean, and no one was going to lay in the bed in dirty clothes, and Byul needed the most rest. As they waited for Byul to get clean, Ernesto also brought them some clothing he had. To YongSun’s surprise he had women's clothing as well, still no dresses but that was the way she liked it. Finally she could get rid of the clothes she had been wearing for well over a month. TaeOh slipped Byul’s clothes in to her, and after not that long she emerged from the bathing room looking a lot better than she went in. Her medium blonde hair was pulled over to one side, still dripping over the floor. She was given a dark grey t-shirt with a slight dip in the centre, YongSun had to force herself to look Byul in the eyes. She also wore simple black pants but everything fit her a lot better than her old clothes, making her look more feminine and showing how slim she really was. YongSun barely had time to watch Byul crawl into bed before TaeOh was making her go get cleaned up. She got one more look at the now sleeping warrior before she was forced to tear her eyes away and close the bathing room door. 

 

Once the hot water hit YongSun’s skin she knew she was more tired than her mind was allowing her to be. Muscles she had been ignoring the ache in, had started to relax, and fatigue had washed over her. It took every ounce of her remaining energy to wash up and not fall asleep in the tub. She managed to pull herself out of the water, muscles aching and raw now that she had fully let them relax. She tiredly dressed in her new clothes, a loose white shirt that buttoned up the front and some black pants that fit well enough. It was at this moment that YongSun noticed her body had changed slightly, she was more lean than before and the lines on her stomach were slowly forming abs, all that work with Byul was paying off. She gave her new body another quick once over in the mirror before she buttoned up her shirt and exited the bathing room. 

Byul was sound asleep, so much so she was quietly snoring, face smushed into the pillow. She looked peaceful and soft, something YongSun wanted to curl up next to for warmth. That was something YongSun needed to get a handle on, her feelings, she felt some for both warriors, when she should not feel anything for either. If only it were so easy to shut her brain off, but still she should at least get her heart to focus on one and not both, for the sake of her own heart, and she definitely

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter