Chapter Fourteen

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She awoke to the sound of rushing water. She was curled up on her side, laying close to a dying fire. Something was different this time. YongSun felt like herself but in Byul’s body, she felt like she was invading. A pulse washed over her and she found herself standing a few feet away now, looking over Byul lying on the forest floor. That was a new trick. Last time she was only able to see Byul’s past through her eyes, now she was experiencing it through her own. There was a cloud of fatigue that hung around YongSun, she may have her own body but she could feel what Byul was feeling, her memory made her feel them. 

Byul sat up and stretched in the morning light, a feeling of relaxation washed over YongSun, but it was quickly replaced with adrenaline and fear when nearby by bushes rattled. She jumped to her feet and took out her sword, raising it slightly. “Easy tiger, it is just me.” A familiar voice called out, relief flooded Byul as TaeOh stepped into the clearing. He was different, they both were. If YongSun had to guess she was looking at Byul and TaeOh before joining the army. Byul looked no older than sixteen, and TaeOh being a year older than her, it meant they were on the verge of joining the army. TaeOh looked more or less the same, maybe slightly more boyish and smug. Byul looked thinner, smaller, more fragile in a way. 

TaeOh tossed Byul a hunk of bread and they both sat down to eat their breakfast. YongSun wondered why she was seeing this memory. Was it something Byul was thinking of, like the last time? Or was it something the power of the Solarous thought she needed to understand? 

 

TaeOh ripped a chunk of his own bread and began to talk to Byul through a full mouth. “We should spend the night in town.” There was a wave of uneasiness, Byul was suspicious. 

Byul picked at her bread as she watched TaeOh chew on his. “Why, you hate towns, you say they are full of dirty men who will skin you alive for a single coin.” She was analyzing his face. “The rules are we only go in for what we need and get out as fast as possible.” 

“I know the rules.” TaeOh grumbled, he sighed out loud. “Look Byul I will be eighteen in a few days time, we celebrated our last birthdays sitting by a fire and playing remember, remember. Not that I don’t love that game but we are getting too old to be sitting by a fire and being sad about our past. I want to have fun for once.” 

A ripple of different emotions passed through Byul, annoyance, sadness, and a hint of curiosity. Like she too was intrigued by the idea of going into town to explore. “We spend the whole night? With what money?” 

TaeOh tossed her a sack, she caught it in one hand, coins spilling out from the top. Her heart rate picked up as she saw what was inside. “Where did you get this money?” There was more money in here than she had seen in her whole life

TaeOh smiled. “I stole it off of that lug two towns over who had the nerve to try and touch you.” A shiver ran through Byul in remembrance of his slimy hands. “I was going to tell you right away but you should never spend money in the town you stole it from.” 

Byul nodded, that made sense. “So what are we going to do with it?” Her eyes glittered like a thousand stars in the night sky.

TaeOh brushed the crumbs off of his hands. “We celebrate.” He smiled so brightly. “We have a real birthday party, fit for all the ones we could not celebrate.” 

Excitement rose in Byul. “Then what are we still doing in the woods.” She jumped to her feet.

 

The memory dissolved. YongSun stood alone for a moment in complete darkness as the next memory took form. It was the same day only later. TaeOh and Byul were emerging from a shop, they both wore new clothing and appeared to have washed the dirt off of their faces. TaeOh wore a fine grey coat that hung to the back of his knees, black pants and a beige shirt that was fitting to his body. Byul wore a black shirt also snug to her body, showing how thin she was, and defined the chest that was hidden beneath, the fabric dipped in the centre, revealing more than Byul was used to. The shirt cut off at the shoulders, Byul’s shoulders were bare, but her arms were covered in the same style of fabric. She had matching black pants. YongSun always felt Byul looked more strong in all black, it made her look fierce. 

Byul and TaeOh walked through the town, pride wafting off of them, making heads turn. They walked into the nearest tavern, every head turned to look at them. “Bar keep.” TaeOh called his attention. “A round of ale for all.” The bar erupted in cheers, arms opened to welcome them in. Byul felt nervous, she wasn’t sure about all of this, but if it was what TaeOh wanted then she would do it. They sat down at a near full table, cups being passed out by the bar keep, TaeOh slipped him the payment for the drinks. Byul took hers in her hand, she has had a few drinks in her life before but she wasn’t sure about letting go in front of strangers.

It wasn’t long before TaeOh had their new friends drunk, Byul feeling very tipsy herself. The stink of the bar was getting to her. Waves of nausea poured from Byul. “I am going to go get some air, will you be okay?” She asked TaeOh in his ear. He nodded and waved her on, his head was in the cards he was playing, planning to take the money of everyone at the table. 

 

YongSun was outside again as the sun was starting to set. She watched as Byul exited the tavern and started walking through the town. The drink got to her more than she wished because she was having trouble walking straight. She tumbled into a passer by, apologizing profusely as she did. A light musical giggle make her head swim giddily. “Don’t worry about it darling, but don’t stray too far from town.” Byul looked up at the woman, her heart stopped dead in her chest. Honey hair lined her face, her soft features were light with her smile. Heat flooded Byul’s body, in both embarrassment and something else she was not sure of. “You don’t look well, you should probably take a seat.” Byul allowed the girl to be lead to a nearby bench. The girl sat with her, holding her still. “There,” Her breath was sweet on Byul’s face. “That is better now isn’t it?” 

Byul was mesmerized by her face, a sweet smile played on Byul’s lips. “Can I ask your name?” Her vision was not longer swirling. YongSun felt a small sharp pain in her chest, it was not like the other emotions that were swimming around her, this feeling was not coming from Byul or her memories, it was coming from YongSun, she shoved it away before she could think about it, her whole concentration had to be on the memory. 

The girl touched Byul’s head softly, moving a piece of hair back from Byul’s face. “Lila.” Her voice saw warm soft honey. 

Byul’s eyes danced with amusement, she was allowing the alcohol to release her from her usual bonds of her heart, it was a party after all. Byul’s eyes got determined, a fresh wave of heat washed over her. “Thank you for helping me Lila.” Her eyes could not help but land on her lips. They were light pink, they looked soft, Byul was wondering how soft they were. 

Byul’s mind snapped on itself, telling her to stop, not to think that. The other half was more overpowering, the one that said to let go. “Can I ask your name?” Byul looked up into her soft brown eyes, inviting her to speak.

Byul her lips. “MoonByul.” Her voice sounded hoarse. 

“That is a beautiful name.” Lila placed her hand on Byul’s, the warm touch spreading through Byul’s whole body. “What brings you to this town MoonByul?” 

Byul bit her lip as she watched Lila talk, she was starting to get drunk on something else. “An adventure.” She whispered softly. 

“Well then I am sure we could find something worth your time.” Lila leaned in slightly, pausing as if to grant Byul a chance to leave. Byul’s heart was beating so fast, she wasn’t even sure if this was real or all in her head. So many years she denied herself these types of thoughts. Lila placed a soft hand on the side of Byul’s face, she leaned into it, eyes closing slightly at the touch. Byul could no longer contain herself, she closed the gap between them and pressed her lips firmly to Lila’s. Her lips were soft but they were like electricity on hers. Lila put her other hand behind Byul’s head and brought her closer. Byul felt heat growing inside her as she sat up straighter to get in closer. Lila slid her tongue over Byul’s lower lip, forcing her to open and let her in. Lila moved so she was on Byul’s lap, the heat of her body pressing into Byul, driving her crazy. Her hand moved down Lila’s front, coming to a rest over one of her s, Lila let out a sound as she did, pressing into Byul harder. 

Laughter hand Byul ripping herself away from Lila. A group of men had exited the tavern, arms around each other, laughing at nothing in particular. Her breath was coming out hard as she tried to catch her breath, terror of being caught pulsed through her, causing he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter