Chapter Thirteen

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sky was unnatural. Thick clouds of grey mixed with the orange hue that came off of the flames that surrounded the world around her. The air was thick and hard to take in, making her want to start coughing immediately. The world seemed angry. The atmosphere was unforgiving, but she still got to her feet. The grass that she stood upon was not lively and fresh but charred and dead. She closed her eyes slightly against the smoke that invaded her site, making her eyes water. She was surrounded by dancing flames that had no beginning and no end. She looked around, it seemed like there was nowhere for her to from here, she was stuck in the middle of a sea of fire. 

A flash of white off to her left make her turn. A child no older than ten walked through the flames, as if the heat and smoke did not affect her. Her face was emotionless, long brown hair waving behind her on an invisible wind as she walked closer. YongSun watched in awe as the little girl in the thin white dress approached her through the flames. Neither of them said anything until the girl was no more than four feet from YongSun. “Who are you?” YongSun managed to say without choking on the thick smoke. “Where am I?” felt very raw. The last thing YongSun remembered she drank the unbinding potion in the Knight village and now she was here. 

The young girl tilted her head, as if examining YongSun, emotionless face unchanged. “I go by many names Kim YongSun.” YongSun’s eyes widened at the mention of her name, how could this child know who she was? “But I am the essence of the Dal, or as modern times have named me: the Lunarous.” 

YongSun could not believe what she was hearing, this was the other half of the Uju. “Is this what you look like in my world?” Maybe this was key to finding the Lunarous in the real world. 

She shook her head. “Unfortunately I have been stuck here for some time, you could say in most ways I do not exist in your physical world, kind of like how the Solarous was here with me until you arrived.” 

“So what is this place?” She said looking around at the burning world, it looked like hell. “Is this some sort of punishment?” 

Another shake of her head. “This is the plane of the SinTag, the place where our past, present, and future exists, it is the one that you are connected to the most being the TaeYang essence.” The girl looked around. “This is the past, we are currently near end of the Night War.” That explained the flames. “You are here to learn of your past to live you present and to make a better future, a better one than we made.” She looked sort of sad. If they were in the Night War, then this was almost a century ago. 

YongSun took a look at the unchanging flames that raged on around them. “What am I here to learn?” 

The girl moved so she was standing beside YongSun, facing the same direction. “You are here to learn of our mistakes.” She started moving forward, when she realized YongSun had not moved, she motioned for her to follow her. “This was Kim YongSun, you must learn.” 

YongSun hesitantly followed the girl, pausing briefly when they approached the flames. The girl stepped right though, leaving YongSun standing alone. She took in a big breath. “Here goes nothing.” She closed her eyes and took a large step forward, the flames caressing her skin, but they did not burn her, they embraced her and engulfed her, until everything went black. 

 

When she opened her eyes again, she was no longer standing in the burning field, she was standing outside a house made of mud. The girl stood outside of it, looking at it fondly. “This was our first existence.” She stepped through the opening. In the middle of the one room building was a sort of cradle, two babies lay inside of it, sleeping. “A set of twins, one  male, one female. They were the beginning of the great force of the Uju, they ensured the continuation of the human race, protecting them.” 

YongSun watched the babies for a minute. “So the Lunarous, your spirit, is my brother?”

Yet another shake of her head. “The Uju is not human, whatever form we take in each life is up to the eternal cycle. In our first lives and many lives we were siblings, in some we were lovers, emanies, friends, and in some we were never fated to meet. With each cycle we are reincarnated into the pair that the world needs at the time to restore some sort of balance… all except our last.” She clapped her hands and they we no longer in the mud house, they were back on the field of fire, only this time a battle rage on around them. YongSun could not believe her eyes, not only did humans fight on the battlefield but giants and dragons and an array of other creatures. YongSun had learned from her studies that such things had existed in those times, but they were eradicated with magic at the end of the battle. She motioned to a man, dressed in full armour standing behind the lines, medium white coloured hair tied into a ponytail. His ice blue eyes on the battle, smiling in a cruel way. “YiHun was the last to host my essence, he and JinHan,” She motioned to another man, one on the front lines hacking down any man who came within reach, protecting those behind him, brown hair lining his face, stuck there with sweat. “They grew up like brother, for a short while they were lovers.” YongSun’s heart skipped at that. “But Lee DaeYeon, the former North King captured YiHun and turned him against JinHan, and DaeYeon was able to use YiHun to win the war.” She looked at YongSun, brown eyes full of pain. “YiHun did the most unspeakable things for DaeYeon, even severing his connection to the Uju to gain dark powers, the key they used to rip magic from the southern lands, taking all the creatures with it, it created the unblanance that exists now, the one you must restore.” 

YongSun swallowed hard, feeling this new weight on her shoulders that was not there before. “How am I supposed to so that?” 

The girl shrugged. “It is up to you Kim YongSun to find out. Though your first step should be finding the Lunarous and helping them gain my essence, you can not do it without them.” 

Great, another impossible task for her to do. “What of my powers, do you have any idea what I should be expecting?” 

The girl looked at YongSun like she was looking into her soul, which was making her uncomfortable. “Your connection to this place is the strongest, you should expect visions.” Great, more sneaking into other people’s heads, like she did with Byul, that seems very uncomfortable. “I sense some healing ability and the strength of the sun. All aspects are to a high degree as well.” 

YongSun sighed. “Anything not extremely cryptic?” The girl tilted her head again, then shook it. “Alright a surprise it is then, anything else?”

“It is time for you to return to your world.” YongSun thought it was too soon, too fast, she hadn’t really learned anything, she didn’t feel any different besides the now impossible destiny that was on her to fulfill. “Goodbye Kim YongSun.” Before she could argue the girl ed her palm toward YongSun and her body shot through the war still raging around them, she sailed backward until there was nothing else left but black. 

Byul hadn’t left Ernesto’s place since YongSun drank the potion. It had been a full day since she had been sleeping and Byul just didn’t feel right leaving her alone. TaeOh on the other hand had left almost the second she went under and hadn’t really been back since. He made excuses like he wanted to try and train or he was tired but Byul knew those were excuses, he had done something and now he was hiding from her. She wasn’t sure what it was he had done, but she knew it involved YongSun because of the way she was acting before she drank her potion. 

Byul kept herself busy in the long hours she was in Ernesto’s house, learning how to make medicine with Ernesto. She knew quite a bit of first aid from her time on the front lines but it was limited to combat wounds. Ernesto helped teach her how to assess and dress other wounds. She took the time to look over her wound, it had been almost two weeks since she got it, her system had fully recovered from the poison and it seemed with YongSun’s touch, her cut had fully closed and was almost done mending, she was practically brand new. 

Byul could see herself getting along quite well with Ernesto, he was staying in the village full time until he was sure YongSun’s training was going well, he sent one of the other villagers to take care of his shop in his absence. Actually, Byul could see herself getting along with a lot of the people here, WheeIn and her gang were even starting to grow on her, they had been more friendly to her after their sparring session yesterday, they were quite impressed with her and even invited her to join them on some of their missions outside of the village. She declined the offer for now, she needed to stay near YongSun until she was sure she was okay, and she didn’t want to stray too far away from the village. TaeOh was not invited to join, apparently WheeIn’s crew was strictly women only, thought WheeIn said if he wanted to “play with the boys” she would find him some boys to play with. He also declined the offer, but he did spend a lot of time over the last day at the practice field running drills, saying he was way out of practice for his own liking. 

Byul was looking over YongSun again. Her features were creased with concern, her temperature seemed to be warmer than normal but there was nothing out of the ordinary, or at least nothing that told her she was hurting. She heard the front door open, assuming it was Ernesto returning from his talk wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter