Chapter Eleven

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 I was going to save this for Thursday but it's almost Christmas and I wanted to give my readers an early present!!! I hope you like it
Oh and please comment what day would you like me to upload chapters.

Byul felt like she swallowed her heart. At first she had no idea what she felt TaeOh tense next to her, but the second her eyes met the woman had entered the room, she knew. It may have been fifteen years since she had seen TaeOh’s mother but there was no mistake that this was her. The room was silent, TaeOh and his mother did not break eye contact. Byul YongSun and Ernesto were looking between them, words hanging in the air. TaeOh looked both hurt and happy, his mother had her hand up to as if she had just seen a ghost. She took a step forward but TaeOh’s obvious move backward stopped her. “You were alive this whole time?” He asked sounding very hurt. Byul could understand the anger but it was not like they stayed in the village long enough to see if any of their parents had survived the attack, they had assumed everyone dead.

TaeOh’s mother, or SoMin as these people referred to her as, had tears streaming down her face. “When I saw what had remained of the house I thought you suffered the same fate as your father.” She choked on her tears. “But here you are, I can’t believe you have been alive this whole time.” Her eyes went wide. “You have to understand TaeOh, if I thought for a second you were alive I would have never stopped looking for you.”

TaeOh remained silent, as if contemplating screaming or leaving so Byul answered hoping to lift some of the unsaid words. “Well it is not like we made it easy.” SoMin’s gaze shifted to Byul, again looking as if she had seen a ghost.

She let out a gasp. “ByulYi?” Her full name send her stomach plumitting. “You look so much like your mother.” 

Byul felt like throwing up at the mention of her mother, unwanted memories surfacing. “I think we all have some catching up to do.” She managed to force out. “But I don’t think now it the time, we came for a purpose.” Her eyes flicked to YongSun, who was watching her, eyes saying so much, more than Byul wanted to read. 

Ernesto got up to help SoMin clean up the fruit she had dropped, the woman could not stop the tears flowing from her eyes as she did. Byul glanced over at TaeOh, so many emotions swam in his eyes as well. She bumped his arm, making him look at her, eyes asking him if he was okay. A short nod that didn’t mean yes but that he was okay for the moment, probably suppressing everything.

The front door opened and everyone turned, it must have been a sight to see because WheeIn and a man Byul assumed was her father Joon, stood there looking at all of them like they had just walked in on a war. Their eyes but dangerously around the room. “Is everything alright?” Joon asked. He was a short man with the same colour hair as WheeIn, only his had hints of grey in it, and he was quite unfit looking. 

SoMin wiped the tears from her eyes. “Joon,” wobbled and she broke into tears, Joon rushed to her side and WheeIn had pulled out a couple of knives. “It’s TaeOh.” She managed to say.

The man turned, obviously familiar with the name as he surveyed TaeOh. “How is that possible?” WheeIn seemed to take the statement as enough proof to put away one of her two daggers, still standing tense. 

Byul cleared . “Long story short, TaeOh and I escaped that village, we saw his house up in flames and thought his parents dead, we ran and now we’re here.” 

Joon glared at her. “And who is this?”

Byul put her hand out. “I am Byul, also from the village.”

SoMin placed her hand on her husband’s chest. “This is JiHye’s daughter, my best friend.” A new wave of sadness washed over Byul at her mother’s name, the one she had not spoken in many years.

“Enough.” TaeOh’s hoarse voice cut in. “We can sort this out later, we are here for a reason as Byul pointed out.” They all looked at YongSun who now looked visibly uncomfortable. 

Joon straightened himself. “Yes, of course.” He went to give Ernesto a hug. “Brother it is good to see you. We got your message.” He gave a quick glance over at YongSun and Byul stepped closer to her. “You mentioned an unblinding.”

Ernesto nodded. “I bound YongSun’s powers a few days after she was born, now she has come to me to get them back.” 

“YongSun?” WheeIn chimed in, Byul had almost forgot she was there. “As in the missing princess of Thaiston?” They all looked over at WheeIn. “Are these the warriors that kidnapped you?” Her second dagger appeared once again.

“Kidnapped?” SoMin gasped.

“Calm down everyone.” YongSun said demanding attention. “I was not kidnapped. Byul and TaeOh saved me the night my father was murdered and they helped me get to Ernesto as per my father’s request.” She gave Byul a look. “They saved my life.” She remembered the night she convinced TaeOh to help her take YongSun to Velcorn. “And after risking their lives and careers, here we are.” 

“I thought two men took you.” WheeIn put both her knives away now. 

“Later.” TaeOh said. “We all have a lot to catch up on.” A look to his mother. “For now, let’s prepare YongSun for this unblinding.” 

 

The process was easy in theory. Ernesto and some healer in their village would make the potion, it would take no longer than a day. YongSun will drink the potion and it will slip her into a coma for an unknown time and when she wakes up she will have her powers back. The members of the Knight will help her learn to control them and use them for the powers of good. Byul was not okay with the unknown amount of time YongSun would be in a coma, that didn’t sit well with her, but she knew she and TaeOh would take shifts watching her and that made her feel better. 

They were going to originally stay with Joon and his family but the event of Joon’s wife being TaeOh’s long lost mother made everyone feel uneasy, so TaeOh, Byul, and YongSun would be staying in a nearby house that did not have anyone living in it at the current moment. They did have an invitation for dinner at Joon’s house so they could all get caught up in the fifteen years they had missed. Ernesto was going to stay with Joon. SoMin wanted to get a head start on dinner, though Byul thought it was just an excuse to let her and TaeOh have some space to come to terms with the fact they were both alive. This left them alone with WheeIn, who was showing them their new place. 

WheeIn seemed like a strong warrior. Not unlike Byul, she probably had to prove herself to others, that she was strong and fierce enough to fight alongside the boys, then there was the fact that her father was their leader, she would have to prove she was not just where she was because of him. Byul got all this from just watching the way she was around them. She never let her guard down, she always looked ready for a fight, even as she watched them look about their new place she seemed stiff. “So,” She said trying to look nonchalant, checking her nails. “I guess that makes us siblings?” She raised an eyebrow at TaeOh. 

That statement didn’t sit well with Byul, she was TaeOh’s sister. TaeOh gave her a look. “If that is what you want to call it, sure.” The house they were staying in had three separate rooms, this also didn’t sit well with Byul, she wasn’t used to be in different rooms. 

WheeIn shrugged. “I am just saying technically…”

“Technically, I do not know you.” TaeOh interrupted. “I have not seen that woman since I was nine years old, so I don’t know her.” He pointed to Byul. “She had been my sister since the day she was born and my only family for the last fifteen years.”

“TaeOh,” Byul gave him a look. “That is rude.” Not untrue though but she wasn’t about to add that. 

WheeIn shrugged again. “I don’t really care, I’ve done well as an only child since the day I was born, I am not looking to add a brother into that mix.” She strolled into the room and plopped down on a chair and gave Byul a once over. “Or a sister for that matter.” Byul shrugged at the look, she had all the family she needed. “I am supposed to show you around but this place isn’t that big. Everyone makes their own food in their house mostly but there is a mess hall in the middle of the village you can go for food at anytime. There is a laundry facility in the east and a bathing court in the south, separate courts for men and women.” She stood up. “Besides that there is nothing really you need to know, everything is easy to find and just don’t leave the boundary and you’re aces.” She looked out the window. “Now if you excuse me I have something else to attend to but I will be grateful if you could tell my father I showed you around but I will understand if you don’t.” She walked toward the door. “Welcome to the Knight, I will see you at dinner.” And with that she left, closing the door behind her, leaving the three alone. 

They all sat there for a moment in silence, kind of letting things settle. “Dibs on the room with no windows.” Byul said mainly as a joke, it must have worked because they all burst out laughing. 

They all collectively breathed out. “What a strange turn of events.” YongSun said from the chair she was sitting in since they came in. “She is an odd person.”

Byul laughed, a hard look passed over TaeOh’s face, no doubt still thinking of his mother. “Are you okay?” She asked him. 

He looked over at her slightly absent. “I guess, it is just you know…”

“Odd.” Byul finished and he nodded. This was odd for her as well, they had thought for so long that she was dead and yet here she was in some hidden village so close to their old village, alive and well. And not to mention a village that is protected by magic, so many questions burned in Byul’s mind, she had no idea what was going on in TaeOh’s. “How are you doing?” She asked YongSun, who had been very silent for most of the time they had arrived.

She shrugged. “I am still processing a lot, not to mention this new little twist, it is just… a lot.” She rubbed her hands over her face. “I think I need to sleep.” 

None of them had got a lot of sleep last night and now all of this. “Why don’t we all try to get some rest, then we can go get cleaned up for dinner?” Byul suggested, they all nodded. They didn’t feel right sleeping in different rooms so they collected some blankets and spread out on the chairs and couch in the living room. Something told Byul that none of them were going to get much rest. 

YongSun was more tired than she originally thought. When she awoke it felt like hours since she had nodded off. The warm afternoon sun blanketed her skin, making the feeling of wanting to drift back to sleep very strong. Her eyes fluttered open, she wasn’t sure what she expected to see but Byul’s soft features inches from her was what she found. The slight increase in her heart rate told her more than she was willing to admit to herself at the moment, there was still way too much going on for her mind and heart to touch that subject yet. Her face was relaxed, a side of Byul YongSun was not used to seeing, the steady rise and fall of her breaths told YongSun that she was still asleep. YongSun felt the urge to shift closer, something telling her that the warmth would increase if she did. That thought had YongSun forcing herself to sit up, she looked to her other side where TaeOh slept, a guard on either side, two people she had come to really care about. She could not however shake the feeling of being overcrowded, she was never without one of the warriors, not since they left the castle, and although she took comfort in that, she also just wanted a moment to breathe. 

YongSun slipped out from between them, she figured that had got a lot less sleep than she thought because neither of them stirred much when she did. She noticed Byul’s hand moved to where she was just laying but when the sun hit Byul’s skin she sighed in her sleep and stayed still. YongSun gave one last look at the two sleeping warriors, her new family, her friends, then she slipped out the front door and into the afternoon light. 

 

The town was alive and thriving while the three were asleep. YongSun watched as people walked around greeting each other, moving about the buildings. No one really paid her any attention, she wondered if that was on purpose or not. Most of all the buildings looked the same, made of wood and about four feet off the ground, there were a few however that were grounded. YongSun was stopped by a gang of children running and laughing with each other, something that reminded YongSun of her carefree days, it was only a month ago she was as free as them, now she had this big destiny to live up to. 

YongSun glaced around a minute longer. Ey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter