Chapter Twenty-Nine

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for the random week of no upload... I went on vaction and had serious writer's block on the day I usually write. I was tempted to just upload what I had but it wouldn't have been any good. Hopefully you all forgive me :)

Shout out to my editor who really struggled with this chapter... I work them too hard :'( Gosh my spelling . Anyway... enjoy

  YongSun didn’t speak to anyone through the lunch buffet. She kept her head down so she could not meet anyone’s eyes. She told the queen, when she asked, that the journey had tired her out. She did debate retreating to her room and hiding until dinner but if she was going to make it in the castle, she had to face them head on. 

Lunch thankfully passed without much talking. She did get a few questions from the higher lords and ladies, but she kept the answers short enough that they stopped asking after the first course. The only memorable part was the fresh cucumber soup, it was a signature dish from her kingdom, it reminded her of home. She wondered if the King asked the kitchens to prepare it when she showed up or if it was always on the menu. She was more than happy to be whisked away by her guards at the end of lunch, at least she could have some time alone in her room. She looked for TaeOh through the crowd as she was being escorted away. They locked eyes and he gave her a playful wink, sending reassurance through her, she managed a small smile back, she still had hope everything was going to be okay.

 

Back in her bed chambers she was met by YooJin. The girl was positioned in the centre of her room, a long list of activities already outlined for the week, damn they worked fast. The lunch was meant to be a surprise, that is why she was not told about it, even if there was a funeral along with it. YongSun kindly asked YooJin to warn her next time.

YongSun didn’t have time to rest. She was to change into yet another dress, thankfully a lighter one, and meet Eric in the sunroom for tea. They were to get reacquainted. YooJin said the queen was already planning the wedding again. YongSun thought it a bit too fast, it had only been a few hours since she came back, you would think the king would like more time to make sure that YongSun and TaeOh had not double crossed him. 

The King was a smart man, YongSun knew that. If he called the wedding back on so fast it was to benefit him, he must still need the alliance with Thaiston bad enough that he was rushing it. It was not like he couldn’t find a way to get rid of her later If need be. A shock ran through YongSun, was she really thinking of her own possible death so lightly? She shook the thought, she wouldn’t give Henry a reason to question her, she would be the model princess, and that started with tea.

YongSun practically floated into the sunroom. The lilac coloured dress they put her in brushed her ankles, but the skirts were smaller, lighter, it was more of a summer dress than an elegant dinner outfit. The room had so many windows that YongSun had to shield her eyes from the midday sun beaming through the glass. 

Eric was already seated on the large red velvet couch. He wore navy blue pants and a white shirt, slightly ed at the top. His brown hair had grown out a bit since the last time she saw him, he had it combed over to one side. Though his brown eyes were bright, there was a weary look to them, like he was still unsure about her. He tried to look relaxed, leaning back against the couch, one arm tossed across the back, one leg crossed over the other, but YongSun could see the stillness of his muscles.

YongSun took a seat in the two-seater beside him. As soon as she sat down servants brought the tea in, placing an elegant blue tea set upon the mahogany table before them. An array of cookies and small sandwiches were also placed there, as if they had not just eaten lunch. Both the royals were served tea, then Eric dismissed the servants, leaving them alone in the large room alone. 

YongSun brought the blue porcelain glass up to her lips and took a sip as she surveyed the room, very aware of the dagger’s cool touch on her leg. The room held various paintings and sculptures around the perimeter. The only furniture was the one that they were already occupying, along with another two-seater and a matching chair. There was a fireplace directly across the room from YongSun that remained unlit in the summer heat. 

Eric cleared his throat, making YongSun look back at him. “It is good to see you YongSun.” His voice was hoarse.

YongSun raised her eyebrows over while she sipped her tea. “Is it?” She didn’t mean to sound so surprised. “If I remember correctly, neither of us wanted this marriage, I thought you would be thankful I disappeared.” 

Eric’s eyes softened a bit. “Just because I wasn’t overly happy about the marriage does not mean I wished you harm.” Darkness flashed behind his eyes. “I was concerned about what happened to you.” His gaze turned more prince-like, void of emotion. “Besides it is not like I wouldn’t be forced into a different marriage, at least with you it would be bearable.” 

YongSun was shocked at his words. There was something different about him, something more disgruntled than the last time they met, like he did not like the way his parents were governing his life, but that was the way it was for royalty. YongSun wondered if she should try something… without giving it too much thought she reached out, touching Eric’s leg. “Thank you for your concern for my safety.” It surprisingly did not take much effort to dig a memory from him.

 

YongSun was standing in a room. It was a bedchamber; a grand royal blue king-sized bed took up the centre of the room. Large bookcases stuffed full of titles lined the back wall. Eric lay in the centre of the bed, arms wrapped around a woman, her long wavy brown hair fanned out in a waterfall across the bed. “I won’t let you go against your father.” She whispered in the darkness. YongSun could tell neither of them had any clothing on, she was glad they were covered in the blankets. 

Eric kissed the top of her head. “I will find a way.” He whispered the premise with such emotion that it washed over YongSun life a tsunami. “The woman he wants me to marry, the kingdom will bring us an army fit to sail the waters.” He said it bitterly, this was before they met. 

A light sigh. “Yes, but when you are with her, you cannot be with me.” She sounded on the verge of tears. YongSun saw her shoulders shaking a bit.

“This is not a marriage of love; I am sure the princess will have her conquests as well.” He didn’t sound hopeful. “If only your family's forces were not second compared to her’s, it would be you I’d be walking down the aisle.” That made something register in YongSun’s mind. The princess of Alexarion, the kingdom that lay in the middle of Thaiston and Kedoeron, their land might be bigger but Thaiston had the big navy, the stronger one anyway. 

This was princess Alexandra, each member of their royal line had a name that related to the land, it was silly in YongSun’s opinion, but it was their family pride. So, Eric had fallen in love with a different princess, before they ever met. Suddenly YongSun’s heart hurt, remembering her heart also belonged to someone else. She pulled herself from the memory.

 

Eric gave no indication that he knew she was looking into his mind. “Will you tell me what happened out there?” He asked her, looking at her hand. YongSun did not let her touch linger, she gently pulled it back. She gave him the same story she told his father, though Eric didn’t seem so convinced. “And you care for this captain?” 

Her heart seized, could he see love in her eyes as she could now see it in his? “Care for, yes. If you are asking if I love him, then only like I would love a brother.” They had been honest with each other from the beginning, this much truth she could give him. She saw disappointment flash across his face. “I am here because it is my duty as princess of Thaiston to marry you, it was my father’s dying wish that I keep this alliance for my people.” The lies easily rolled off her tongue. “I do not expect you to love me, like you said all those months ago, it would be nice if we could friends.” She gave him a pointed look. “What you do outside of our marital duty is none of my business.”

Relief flashed over his face, but he responded differently. “I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will extend you the same courtesy.” YongSun nodded in agreement. Now all that was left was to plan their new wedding. 

Byul’s steel rang out as she smashed it into the side of a tree. Sweat rolled down her body in the heat, her eyes focused on the tree she was using as a sparring dummy. It had been two days since YongSun and TaeOh rode off to the castle, two days and her heart felt like it was being squeezed so tightly. 

“Do you want a sparring partner?” Luna was leaning against a nearby tree, arms crossed, sword hung at her side. Ever since YongSun and TaeOh left, Luna and Byul kept mostly to themselves, WheeIn and HyeJin were always off together anyways. 

Byul raised an eyebrow, she had never sparred with Luna before, not in the many times she trained with WheeIn’s gang in the Knight. She wondered if Luna was attempting to get close to her because she was now close with TaeOh… or perhaps she just wanted something to take her mind off things, like Byul was doing attacking a tree. “I suppose.” 

She turned so she was facing Luna, the red head took out her blade and held it firm. They both waited a heartbeat, seeing who was going to make the first move. Byul flipped her sword with the roll of her wrist. Luna copied the movement, a sly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter