Chapter Thirty-two

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally an update!

The morning brought nothing but sadness for YongSun as she awoke alone. The warm spot in her bed that Byul had accompanied only a few hours ago was going cold. She knew the warrior had to leave, she had already stayed too long, but it still stung to be alone when her eyes fluttered open at dawn. 
Her hands reached over to where a delicately folded piece of parchment sat upon her bed. And so the sun and the moon finally came together for the most beautiful eclipse in history. YongSun wanted to roll her eyes at the cheesiness of the words but she could not help the smile that crept up on her. The words of her partner. She didn’t think she could get used to those words. That shy, strong, warrior she met all those months ago was now her girlfriend, and so much more. 
The door opened and she quickly hid the note under her pillow. YooJin carried a tray full of foods and placed them on the bedside table. “What are you still doing in bed?” She sounded like she was scolding YongSun. The girl’s face turned a bit red. “Why are you without your clothes?”
YongSun’s face heated at the memory of how she lost them. “It was way too hot in here last night.” She said, making sure her blanket covered her. She wrapped it around her as she slid out of bed. “It kept me up most of the night, that is why I was just waking up.” The lies rolled off her tongue. 
YooJin nodded, still looking a bit embarrassed. “Well let’s get you dressed my lady.” She said dashing off to the closet as YongSun slipped on a robe and went for the tea and food on the platter.
“What is on the agenda for today?” She asked, mouth filled with warm bread. 
YooJin returned with a simple dress. “A garden brunch with the court ladies.” YongSun wanted to crawl back into bed.
Instead, she shoved the bread into . “Let’s not keep them waiting.” She forced a smile on her face, eyes flashing to her empty bed. She’d see Byul soon, just as soon as she finished this mission. Hopefully, it was before she walked down the aisle. 

The three girls arrived at the clearing pretty quickly. A very exhausted Byul showed up right before dawn and handed off instructions on where to find this place. It was a run-down shack in the middle of nowhere, one TaeOh had tracked JongKook to. They approached with caution, WheeIn signaled Luna to go around back, HyeJin took the front and WheeIn covered the other two sides of the building to make sure no one was getting in or out while they were in there. 
After a few minutes, Luna and WheeIn joined HyeJin at the front door, weapons in hand. HyeJin kicked in the front door and they rushed in… to find it empty. They looked around to make sure there was no place for someone to be hiding. Then they started searching. “Everything is a clue,” WheeIn said to them as she looked in her section of the small house. 
What she really needed was a very large map that said ‘the kids are here’ with a large red circle on it but all she managed to find was a scrap of hey. 
After a thorough search, they came up with basically nothing, just another dead end. 
“So much for a big lead.” Luna sneered at the words Byul had said to them this morning when she came back to the inn they were staying in. WheeIn had a feeling the red-head was annoyed that Byul clearly went to visit not only TaeOh but YongSun as well, the small bite mark on Byul’s neck proved that. 
HyeJin shrugged. “It was better than nothing, TaeOh is trying his best.” WheeIn tried to hide her smile at the obvious move HyeJin made bringing him up.
Luna’s face softened a bit. “That isn’t what I meant.” She rubbed her face hard. “It has just been way too long since the kids have been gone.” That was definitely the truth. “Every hour I am losing even more hope.”
HyeJin lifted a hand quickly. “Someone is coming.” She said in a whisper. 
They moved quickly to the corner of the shack that was not immediately visible when the door was open. WheeIn could feel her heartbeat in her head, it throbbed as they waited. The door opened and a young man walked in. His outfit was clearly a uniform but not one of the guards of Henry’s castle. HyeJin acted first, using her ice to freeze his feet in place. Confused, his head whipped around until he saw them, but Luna was already there, binding his hands behind his back. “Who the hell are you?” He said as HyeJin slid him over to a chair.
WheeIn let a cruel smile curl over . “We will be asking the questions.” She shifted her gaze to Luna. “Go get Byul.” Luna did not like the demand. “She needs to be here for this.” Luna scowled but complied with the order, storming out the door. “Now, let’s see what you can tell us.” Ice started to form all over his body, encasing him completely. “Who do you work for?” 

Byul jumped to the sound of the bedroom door burst open. She was already on her feet, blade in hand when she made eye contact with Luna. “What the .” She said as she tried to get her heart rate under control.
Luna glared at her for a good moment, eyes going to Byul’s neck. She was well aware of the mark YongSun left on the side of her neck, something she would indeed get her back for, but she could hardly do the same, it would raise too many questions for the princess. 
Luna crosses her arms. “We found someone at the shack, come quick.” Byul didn’t wait for any more words, she followed Luna out the door. They had moved to a different Inn, they didn’t stay in the same one for more than a few nights, this one was luckily closer to where TaeOh followed JongKook.
To get there faster they rode a horse as close as they could to the clearing. Byul didn’t even wait for the horse to stop moving before she was dashing off to the shack, Luna cursing her as she secured the horse and ran after her. She made sure to have her sword in hand as she entered the building, Luna now on her heels. 
Byul opened the door to reveal WheeIn and HyeJin standing on either side of a chair, one that had a man frozen to it. He didn’t look familiar to her but his uniform did. Grey black leather fitted to perfection, the uniform of Henry’s second army, the ones who did his shadow work like Byul and TaeOh once did. Byul and Luna silently joined the room, the man’s angry eyes flashed over them as they did. “I don’t suppose you know him?” HyeJin asked, looking a bit desperate. Something told Byul, this man was not giving them any answers. 
She gave a firm shake of her head. “But he does work for Henry, part of the shadow army, but that could be one of many jobs.”
“How do you know that?” It was hard to make out over the chattering of his teeth. 
Byul looked him over, he didn’t look much older than her which means it was a faction of Henry’s men she had never encountered, or he was very skilled and rose ranks quickly after TaeOh and Byul switched jobs. “Did you get anything out of him?” She was ignoring his question.
Both girls shook their heads. “We were waiting for you guys to get back,” WheeIn said as if she wished they had started without them, HyeJin probably made her do it. “But now that you’re here…” Fire danced on her fingertips. 
The man’s face paled. “How are you using magic, it was eradicated from the South.”
“So you thought.” HyeJin purred, making the ice knit itself further up his body, now creeping up his neck. “We will start easy, what is your name?” He shook his head, teeth chattering loudly. 
“If you answer, the ice goes away and my partner here will warm you up again.” Byul wasn’t going to ask where they learned their interrogation technique from. 
The man still refused to answer, as the ice started to touch his face he finally spoke. “HoJin!” He practically shrieked. “Kim HoJin.”
“Very good.” HyeJi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter