Chapter Three

Journey Into The Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul rolled her shoulders. Feeling each crack as they rippled through her body. She was positioned outside prince Eric’s door, on the other side of the hall TaeOh stood outside their king and queen’s door. They were not the only warriors in the hallway, but there were none from king JungHo’s men were on the floor with them. TaeOh and Byul were on the second shift, the king wanted round the clock security, as always but Byul found it odd that the other king did not have one guard on the floor with them.

Byul let out a long yawn. She didn’t sleep well in unfamiliar places and with the limited warriors the king brought with him meaning they were doing double the shifts. Byul envied TaeOh, he stood there, tall and proper like a warrior was meant to. Not like Byul who was having troubles just standing still, but that was why TaeOh was one of the best and why she was only second. TaeOh’s men were not JungHo’s top men, they were more like third, but his first legion was on the battlefield and the second was protecting their home. King JungHo figured since Kedoeron had their own warriors that he didn’t need his best. That didn’t mean they weren’t good, they were trained to be the best, the best of the best. The ranks of the legions were more about age and experience than actual skill. In Byul’s opinion TaeOh was better than most of the other legion leaders but he nor they would ever admit that.

Byul’s eyes were getting heavy. She highly doubted that there was going to actually be an attack, but this was her job, this is what she signed up to do. In her ten years of service to the King, Byul had spent five years on the battlefield, it was required. King JungHo was in the middle of a war with the Northern Kingdom of Edaren, over land or something, they’d been fighting so long Byul wondered if they even knew why they were fighting. “Eyes alert Byul-Ah.” TaeOh called her from the other side of the hall.

She threw a finger up to her lips, she hated when he called her by her real name where people could hear. She knew TaeOh would never do anything to hurt Byul, so she knew he made sure no one was around before he said it. “This is the most dull shift ever.” She almost whined like the little sister she pretended to be.

TaeOh rolled his own shoulders. “Perks of the job Yul.” He smiled. “Standing until you die for the sake of the kingdom.”

Byul toyed with the hilt her her sword, feeling each rivet. “And here I always thought we’d die on the battlefield.” She meant it as a joke but it was a sore subject, she saw TaeOh flinch. They’d had a few close calls in their five years. “Let’s change the subject.” Her eyes flicked over the walls. “Read any good books lately?”

TaeOh gave a short laugh. “This is what we have succumbed to? Small talk. I figured we were better than that?”

Byul shrugged. “Then start one of your games. I am tired and don’t want to think.”

A slow smile spread across his face. “A tired Yul is a good time for me.” Byul had troubles filtering her thoughts when she was tired so she often just said whatever came to her mind first, TaeOh always got a good laugh out of it. “What do you think of the princess?”

Byul glared at him. “Why do you think I have anything to say about her?” Downside of working with your bestfriend is they pick up on everything. “She seems nice.” She shrugged.

TaeOh gave her a look. “Oh yeah? That is it?” He looked at her as if he could read her mind, he kind of could, and she with him. “So you don’t have the hots for her?”

Byul rolled her eyes. The only good thing about masking as a boy was when she and TaeOh started talking about women it didn’t sound as weird as when she wasn’t wearing her disguise. When they were kids people use to tell them that they would probably get married, maybe they would have, if things had turned out differently, and if he was a chick. “Why do you automatically assume I like her?”

“Probably because your face is going red right now.” He smiled deeper when Byul felt her face heat more. “That and when she first appeared on the landing, you were drooling.”

Byul stood taller. “I did not.” Maybe she did a little. There was no doubt the Byul thought the princess was beautiful but she knew her place. “I don’t like this game anymore, move on.”

TaeOh shook his head. “Classic Yul, changing the subject when things get too personal.”

“We are on the job TaeOh, figured I wouldn’t have to remind you of all people of that.”

TaeOh’s face fell a bit. “We could play remember, remember.” It was a game they use to play when they thought they were losing the memories of their families, they’d each keep naming off things they remembered of their home, until they felt better.

Byul a breath between her teeth. “She has nice s.” TaeOh’s laugh cut through the tense air. He knew she was joking, finding a way to lighten the mood again.

A scream cut through it for them. Byul’s hand went to her sword as did TaeOh’s. “It came from down the hall.” He said looking. The scream came again,  bringing the other warriors running. “Jin, Hyuk stand ground.” He ordered, meaning for them to take their posts so Byul and TaeOh could investigate.

The screams were coming from the last room on the floor, the one from the east tower. Princess Solar’s room. They didn’t knock, nor did they just barge in. Byul twisted the knob and TaeOh held his blade up high incase someone came running out, hopefully not the princess. The door swung open, the room was not completely dark, the morning sun was creeping through one of the windows, lighting the room warmly. They stepped in the door, swords in hand. It wasn’t a big room, it mainly just had a bed. The room was a circle, only other door leading to a bathroom. TaeOh went to look, leaving Byul alone in the room. The princess lay in her bed, no one was around her nor was anyone hurting her. “Nothing.” TaeOh said coming back into the room, his eyes went to the window. The princess screamed again, loud and shrill, cutting through Byul’s ear drum. She instinctively raised her sword again. Solar was grabbing on to her sheets so tight her hands were white. A sheet of sweat covered her face and neck. She was having a nightmare. Byul put her sword back in it’s sheath, she heard TaeOh let out a breath as well as a curse.

Byul went to the side of the princesses bed, sitting on the edge. Solar’s beautiful face was contorted in pain, like something was really hurting her in her dream. Byul hesitantly reached out a hand, placing it on her shoulder, sweat seeping through the cloth of her night dress. “Princess?” She shook her a bit. “Princess?” She called as soft as she could. One of Solar’s hand grasped onto Byul’s arm, so tight her nails were digging into Byul’s flesh. Her eyes sprung open as if she was being awoken from a spell. They were full of panic and quickly focused on Byul’s face above her. Her free hand slapped Byul across the face, sound echoing through the now silent room. Byul tried to back away, to give her room to wake up but her arm was still in Solar’s grasp. “Princess?” She said slowly. “You were having a nightmare.” Solar’s eyes seemed to uncloud a bit, nightmare leaving, reality coming back. She sat up and pushed herself away, hand letting go of Byul, who didn’t move. “Are you okay?” She looked very scared.

Solar wiped the sweat off of her face, seeing a small layer of blood coating her nails. Her eyes focused on them, terror rising in her eyes. “What did I do?” She looked like she was shaking, Byul had the overwhelming urge to reach out and comfort her but she held herself back.

“You were having a nightmare.” TaeOh said flatly, Solar’s eyes darted to him as if she just noticed he was also here. “The blood is from where you dug your nails into Yul’s arm.” He sounded angry.

Her eyes flashed now to Byul’s arm, four lines of red connecting to one line down her arm. “Oh my god.” She said moving forward again, reaching out to take Byul’s arm but it was Byul who moved back from her touch. Solar looked a bit hurt. “I am so sorry.”

Byul wiped the blood away like it was nothing, because it wasn’t, she has had a lot worse. “It’s fine princess, just as long as you are okay.” Byul got up from the bed, backing up toward TaeOh. “Can we get you anything? Water, maybe your handmaiden, one of your parents?” Solar kept shaking her head at all of Byul suggestions but she could see she was clearly freaked out. Byul put up a hand to TaeOh to tell him to wait there. She walked into the princess’s bathroom, she luckily found a cup, she poured some of the water from her water bag into it and brought it back to the room. She gently set it down on the table beside the princess. “In case you change your mind.” She said with a small smile. “We will be just outside the door if you need anything.”

Solar looked so scared that Byul didn’t want to leave her alone but she couldn’t stay in the room if the princess did not wish her to. TaeOh was already out into the hallway, Byul reluctantly on his heels. Solar sat with her back against her bed, knees pressed against her chest, arms tightly wrapped around them. Byul slowly pulled the door closed behind her, not wanting to take her eyes off of Solar. “Thank you.” She heard her whisper at the last second when Byul pulled the door shut, she felt herself smile a bit at the words.

Byul and TaeOh returned to their positions, sending Jin and Hyuk back to theirs. Byul felt a bit on edge now, especially when silence settled in around them once again. Solar’s pained expression kept coming to her mind, she wondered what it was that caused such a look and something so scary it left her shaking afterwards. They remained silent for awhile, Byul replaying the scene in her head over too many times. Finally TaeOh laughed, he kept laughing hysterically. Byul looked at him like he had just lost his mind. “Dude,” He managed to choke out. “You just got slapped by a princess.” Byul felt a laugh bubble up in . It erupted and she joined TaeOh in his fit of laughter.

 

    YongSun felt like someone took a hot prod and jammed it behind her eye. Over the days with her nightmares came headaches from not sleeping. YongSun was no stranger to nightmares, she often got them, but it was worse than ever. Ever since the announcement of her wedding to Eric, and the arrival of the Thaiston monarchy, they had gone from occasional to every night. Worst of it being not only did she embarrass herself in front of the Thaiston warriors, she hurt one of them the other night when they tried to wake her. Ever since she had been trying to get the warrior, Yul, alone to properly apologize but YongSun herself was almost never alone, and if she was then Yul was not. YongSun almost got up the nerve to approach Yul to apologize the morning after but he was always with the other warrior who was there, TaeOh, YongSun got the impression he didn’t like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter