Chapter 5

Dream Being In Full Bloom

 

“Oh yeah, ___, I talked to my friend earlier and it is possible to come visit the reserve.” Wei Chen said as you, the former and grandma was sitting by a little table in the garden enjoying some afternoon tea.

“Really?” You were now excited.

“You two are going where?” Grandma asked in confusion.

“___ wanted to see giant pandas and I have a friend who works at a reserve in the mountains-“

“Then you have to take some photos for me to see! I would also like to see them but I am too old to go.” Grandma said stopping Wei Chen from explaining further. You smiled.

The two of them reminded you so much of how you had been with your grandfather, who had passed away a few years ago. You had been very close and always joked around and teased each other. Sadly he had gotten cancer and died not long after the doctors had found out.

“___?”

“…”

“___!?” You looked up puzzled. You had been spacing out as you remembered things about your grandfather. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” You smiled. Grandma sighed and decided to let it go and instead changed the subject. “Tell us more about Denmark, how is it there?”

“Well, it’s small country and we’re only about 5.5 million people.” You started. “It’s a very flat country almost entirely surrounded by water. We have a royal family who is led by a queen…” You thought for a moment. “Our education is free and you can get financial support from the Danish government while studying when you’ve reached the age of 18…. I can’t think of anything else… Something specific you want to know?”

“Where exactly is it?” Grandma asked.

“It’s one of the northern European countries and is laying above Germany and with Norway and Sweden above.”

“Is education really free? You don’t have to pay anything?” Wei Chen asked.

“Well, there is some educations like make-up artist, where you have to pay but that’s mainly because of all the make-up needed… But yeah, almost every education is free, though you have to buy your own books.”

“And what are you going to do?” Grandma asked. You shrugged.

“To be honest, I haven’t really thought about it… I still have one year to think and if I still haven’t found out by that time I’ll probably take a year to think and to work and save some money up.”

“I’m sure you’re going to find something soon.” She said with a smile, which you returned.

-oOOoOOo-

“Is it okay I come with you to the reserve?” Wei Chen asked as he accompanied you back to the hotel an hour later.

“Of course! You need to take pictures for grandma!” You smiled. “Plus I think your friend expects you to come and it would be nice to know someone there.” Wei Chen smiled.

Two days is a short time to say you know someone but quite frankly it did feel like you had known Wei Chen and grandma for more than two days. You found it easy to talk with them and they were comfortable to be around.

“So when are we going there?” You asked.

“Tomorrow or the day after, it’s up to you.” Before you could answer you felt your phone vibrating in your pocket.

“Hello?” You smiled as soon as you recognized the voice on the other end. “Hej far.” (Hey dad) You switched to Danish.

“Hvordan går det?” (How is it going?) He asked in the other end.

“Det går fint, jeg har allerede set en del og smagt en masse autentisk kinesisk mad.” (It’s going well, I’ve already seen a lot and tasted a lot of authentic Chinese food)

“Det lyder godt. Ville bare lige hvordan det gik.” (Sounds great. Just wanted to hear how it went)

“Er det mor der er bekymret? Du kan sige til hende at jeg har det godt og at hun godt kan slappe lidt af. Min ven har faktisk lige arrangeret at vi skal til et Panda reservat! Det bliver så fedt!”(Is it mom who’s worried? You can tell her that I’m well and that she can relax a bit. My friend actually just arranged for us to go to a Panda reserve! It’s going to be so cool!)

Your dad laughed at the other end of the connection. “Jeg skal nok give beskeden videre. Jeg må hellere te igen, jeg skal på arbejde.” (I’ll tell her that. I better go now since I need to go to work)

“Okay, hils derhjemme! Vi ses.” (Okay, say hi to them at home! See you) With that your father hung up. You smiled.

“Sorry it was my dad.” You said as you looked over at a surprised Wei Chen. “What?” You asked with a raised eyebrow.

“What was that?” You couldn’t help but laugh seeing his expression.

“My dad.”

“Yeah, but what language? Was that your native language?” You nodded.

“A lot different from Chinese.”

“You can say that… Sounds difficult.”

“It is… Well, people have difficulty learning the Danish language because we have three extra vocals and it takes many years to fully speak the language.”

You didn’t think it was difficult but wouldn’t it be normal as it was your native language and you had grown up speaking it but people who had moved to Denmark often didn’t master Danish even after a decade. Of course it depends on where you’re from since some languages are similar and some very far from.

“About the pandas, let’s go tomorrow?”

“Sure that’s fine with me.” The two of you decided on a time to leave before you went to your hotel room and he went back to grandma’s house. 

--------------------------------

A/N: I'm so sorry for the very long wait!! *bows*x1000 >.< The school work took a lot more time than what I had expected and the teachers haven't been good to coordinate between them so all our assignments came at one time... I actually had this week off and wanted to have updated earlier but sadly again I found it a very busy week with a lot of family gatherings which took my fanfic time XD But here's an update and I'll try update as fast as I can :) Sorry if it's a little boring XD