Chapter 17

Dream Being In Full Bloom

 

There wasn’t long before your final year in high school would end. You looked forward to it but wasn’t quite sure what to do afterwards… You didn’t know if you wanted to stay here or if you should study abroad. It would be nice to be able to spend more time with Wei Chen…

You were brought out of your thoughts when someone knocked on the door.

“Coming!” You shouted and were about to get up from the couch to see who it was when the knocking became louder and louder. “I said coming!” You said irritated as you opened the door only to reveal Mike. He had tried to get in contact with you a lot lately and it was getting on your nerves. Apparently he didn't know what 'no' meant. 

A strong stench of alcohol filled the air and you had to put a hand in front of your mouth and nose to try block off some of the smell.

“What are you doing here?” You asked.

“I’m here to get you back.” He moved closer and the scent of alcohol got intensified.

“For the last time, I’m not going to get together with you again! Get it into your dense skull!” You slammed the door in his face, or that was what you wanted to do.

“Not so fast,” Mike said as he stopped the door. “If I can’t get you then no one should!” There was something in his eyes that you hadn’t seen before. It was more than anger… More like a mix of anger, hate and desire.

“Stop being crazy and go home, I don’t have time for this.” You tried to push him out but instead he got in and closed the door before locking it.

“I give you one last chance to choose, me or him?”

“Stop this nonsense and leave!”

“Answer me!” He slammed you into the wall.

“Fine! I choose him! Happy now? You can leave now!” You shouted back at him.

“Wrong answer.” He said smirking. He blocked you from going anywhere.

“Leave or I will call the police!” He laughed.

“I’d love to see you try, though they will probably come too late.” He whispered close to your ear before he caressed your cheek. You gave him an angry glare as you smacked his hand away.

“What do you want from me?” A sly smile came across his face.

“You heard what I said before, if I can’t have you no one should.” There was some kind of madness in his eyes. You were starting to feel very uncomfortable and frightened by the situation.

You gathered all your strength and pushed him away. You got around him and ran through the apartment to your bedroom where you could lock the door.

“It’s only a matter of time before I’ll get through the door. You have nowhere to escape!” You wanted to move your closet over to barricade the door but it was too heavy for you to move alone.

Mike was hammering on the door trying to get it to open. It would really only be a matter of time before he would get trough the door. You started searching for your phone frantically only to realise it was lying on the living room table as you could hear it ringing.

“There’s no way you can call someone now.” Mike laughed through the door.

“Leave me alone you psycho!” You shouted with a shaky voice.

You looked around the room not knowing how you should get away from this situation. You scanned the room only to stop at the balcony door. It was the only way out.

You hurried over to the door and opened it slowly, making sure it didn’t make any noise, so it wouldn’t alarm Mike. You slowly closed it again. There was only one way to get help – jump from your own balcony and over to one of your neighbours.

You looked down. It wouldn’t be pretty if you fell down since you lived on the fourth floor. You could hear the door to your bedroom complain about all the banging.

You took a deep breath before you took a good grip of the lattice and climbed over. You closed your eyes and gathered you confidence before you took the jump. It took only a second or two for you to get a grip on the other balcony but it seemed like longer.

You climbed over and started knocking on the door frantically hoping with all your heart that she would be home. Luckily enough the light got and the curtains removed. Your neighbour looked shocked at you and hurried to open the door and get you inside.

“What happened? Why? How?” She asked confused. First then you burst into tears. She looked helpless at you not knowing what to do.

It took some time before you were able to say a few words in all your sobbing. It only became Mike, drunk, crazy, locked up and balcony she could understand, but it was enough for her to call the police.

She gave you a blanket and placed you on the couch trying to soothe you the best she could. Within minutes the sirens of the police could be heard and steps on the stairways echoed throughout the hallways.