Chapter 4

My Unscripted Life

After changing into their swim trunks, Taehyung and Jungkook head to the pool where everyone waiting. San Marino High School has two pools, a small pool used by all the students and a large pool solely for the swim club, both the girl's team and the boy's team, with half of the students coming from a family with money, it was easy for the students to request things. During their freshman year, the swim teams had to share a pool with the rest of the other students, forcing them to have practice early in the morning or late in the night. But finding that unfair, the teams got together and petition for the school to install another pool just for those who wanted to have fun so and luckily, they were able to raise enough money and convince the principle and parents. And now they had their practice after school for two hours and go home, without the hassle of being to tire in the morning or too lazy to come to the late-night practice.

 

As they join the others at the front, they greet their friends, Jacob and Adam. The head swimming coach, Mr. Hayton goes over the objective for today’s practice. The area was filled with chatters or complaints, no one was really listening. The team manager, Anna scans the crowd of displeased faces with annoyance,

“Why is there so much chattering?” she asks.

 

They glance at each other, all turning to the team captain.  Jungkook knew why everyone was whispering, it had to do with the Valentines Dance tomorrow, they have mandatory attendance for practice and since it’s after school, it would mean they would have to miss the dance. A grievance everyone asked the team captain, Christopher Smith, a senior to bring up at today’s meeting. They all silently urged Christopher to speak up before they start practice, feeling the glares and pleading eyes, Christopher clears his throat.

“Um, the coach we are wondering if you could cancel practice tomorrow for the dance?”

“Cancel practice?” says the second team manager, Olivia who was only in her twenties and a college senior, most of the students like her because she was always reasonable, unlike Anna.

“You guys know you have a competition in four days,” says Anna.

“Yes, but we are also practicing on Saturday and Sunday,” says Christopher, “This is the first time a school dance has interfered with our practice, please make an exception.”

 

All the other students joined in pleading, Anna and Olivia turned to the coach, waiting for his response. After gazing at each other for what felt like an eternity, the coach sighs,

“What do you think guys think, Anna, Olivia? You guys are the one who has been supervising their practice.”

“I do think missing one practice will hurt their chances in the competition,” says Olivia. They all grinned pleased to hear Olivia’s words, they turn to Anna, who had her arms crossed, not pleased at what Olivia was said.

She sighs, looking defeated, “I’m with Olivia, canceling the practice for tomorrow won’t hurt their chances…”

“Yes!” they exclaim, clapping and cheering.

“But,” says Anna, “If there are problems at today’s practice then they can forget the dance.”

“That sounds fair,” says Coach Hayton, “Alright, so if today’s practice goes by perfectly, practice is canceled tomorrow, let's get in the water, 10,000 yards, warm up, it should take you about fifteen minutes, alright let’s do it.”

“Yeah, Yahoo!” they cheer as they head towards the pool, getting ready for practice.

***

After the whistle concluding the end of practice goes off, they all gathered to hear the verdict of whether a practice was canceled or not. They glance at each other with pleading eyes, except for Jungkook who doesn’t really care about the dance, but he did not mind having practice canceled. He can have more time playing video games, but he could understand the eagerness of the seniors, this was their last Valentines Day Dance as high schoolers, it's not surprising they do not want to miss it. Anna and Olivia approached them as Coach, Hayton never stays long for the practices on Wednesday and Thursdays, he lets the managers watch over them.

“Okay, Anna and I concluded that you guys were splendid today, surprisingly no annoyance or disobedience so no practice tomorrow.”

“Yes, Whoo!” exclaims the team, splashing water and going wild as laughter fills the pool.

“That’s awesome,” says Jacob.

Taehyung and Jungkook exchange glances face plastered with curiosity. 

“Say, did you ask Lisa to be your Valentine?” asks Taehyung.

Jacob chuckles nervously, embarrassed, “Yeah over Facebook but she said no.”

“Well, go figure,” says Jungkook, “Why didn’t ask her to her face?”

“And get rejected to my face, no thanks,” he says, “You two are her best friends, why don’t you convince her to go with me?”

“And get chewed out by her,” they say at the same time, “No!”

“Aww!” says a voice from behind them, Nathan, who swim to where they were, “So are you two lovebirds going together?” Jungkook glances at Taehyung who rolls his eyes, annoyed, Nathan teasing them and calling them lovers because they are both gays was nothing new. He had the brain of an elementary school student, always saying stupid things like jokes or just plain stupidity. He was an idiot, and everyone knows which no one is why takes him seriously. 

“ off,” says Jungkook.

“Just because we both gay doesn’t mean we have to like each other,” says Taehyung.

“Well it's not because your both gay, its because you both look good together,” says Jacob, joining in the teasing as revenge for them refusing to help with Lisa. Jungkook scoffs, splashing water at him,

“And your both idiots,” he says. Jungkook turns swimming away, the cool water was freshening, he glances over, and Taehyung was beside him. They smile starting a friendly competition, they move with coordinated fluidity, after nailed to perfection. After joining the swim club out of boredom, Jungkook stayed in it because of the friends he made and also because it allowed him to let go of all his stress, the pool was like a therapist without the awkwardness of dealing with another human being.

***

Jungkook bids Taehyung goodbye as he gets on the late bus, heading home. His hair slightly damp despite drying it with a towel for what felt like an eternity. He brushes his hair back, feeling lazy to skate so he just walked instead, bopping to his music.

 

As he reaches his home, he glances over, wondering if Jimin was already home and if Jennie succeeded with her plan to confess to him? He sighs. As a brother, he should feel happy if she succeeds but as much as he tries, he couldn’t stop the burning sensation in his belly. The thought of seeing Jimin hugging, kissing and embracing someone else even his sister turned his stomach.

 

He groans as he opens the door, trying not to think about it. He closes the door behind him, strolling, he hears voices coming from the living room. He glances at the clock on the wall, it was four o’clock, three hours before dinner. He peeks into the living room and sees Namjoon and Jennie. Jennie had her face buried in her arms and knees close to her chest, Jungkook walks in, not sure of what’s going on. His questioning gaze meets Namjoon’s who says nothing but slowly pats her on the back.

Jungkook says nothing and walks out of the living room, he had a feeling something had happened. Did Jimin reject her?

 

He enters the room, placing his skateboard in the closet against the wall and his backpack on the bed. He wanted to go back downstairs and ask what was wrong, but he knows if he says anything, it would just upset her even more. As annoying and y as she behaves sometimes, Jennie was an emotional person who always dives head first without thinking and ends up either making a fool of herself or getting her heart broken. But that is one of the things, he admires about her, her courage to always pursue what she wants no matter the results, something he can never do.

 

After finishing his homework, they gathered at the table for dinner, heavy, thick silence fills the atmosphere. Jennie who is usually the talkative one remained quiet, head lowered, eyes slightly red and swollen, Jungkook could tell she was crying.

Unable to take it anymore, their mom clears , “You’re still young,” she says, “I’m sure you’ll fall in love with plenty of other guys. It’s his loss for missing out on an incredible girl like you.”

 Jungkook glances at Jennie who gripped the chopstick tighter. So Jimin did reject her. That .

Feeling emotionally conflicted, Jungkook remained quiet, he felt sorry for her but deep inside, he can feel the tightening grip on his stomach, loosen up, able to breathe again.

“I can’t believe you knew about it and didn’t tell me,” she roars, glaring at Namjoon.

“I tried to talk you out of it yesterday,” he says, defensively. Jungkook’s glances at them, confused.

What’re they talking about?

“Maybe telling me he is gay would’ve convinced me to not make a fool of myself,” she says, angry.

Jungkook drops the chopstick, eyes widen and mouth open, trying to register what he just heard. Jimin is gay? Since when? They have known him since they were kids, he has never even spoken about his uality or gave hints of him liking men.

“Gay?” says Jungkook, quietly as everyone glanced at him.

“Yes, is what he is,” she says, slamming the chopstick on the table, getting up and rushing out of the living room.

“Jimin-hyung is gay?” asks Jungkook, looking at Namjoon.

“I…I saw him with his boyfriend at the mall like a couple of weeks ago, I figured she knew, he didn’t seem to be hiding it. And I didn’t want to make assumptions,” he says, shaking his head in disbelieve.

Boyfriend? Jimin-hyung has a boyfriend? Who? I never saw him with anyone? And why didn’t he tell Jennie he is gay?

“Well, you should’ve said something to her,” says his mom, glaring at him.

Namjoon scoffs, “How is this my fault? He is her best friend if she didn’t know her best friend is gay…”

“Alright, can please eat in peace,” asks the father. They all quieted down, eyes lowered to their food.

The word boyfriend ringed in Jungkook’s ear, his heart ached, it felt like someone pierced it with a cold ice pick. The food in his mouth, lost his taste as he stares at the plate, many things going in circles, and he felt as if everything he ate was about to come back up. He inhales,

“Excuse,” he says, getting up and leaving his family dumbfounded.

 

Jungkook slams shut the door, leaning against it, breathing heavily, he still could not believe that Jimin is gay and has a boyfriend. His legs weakening, he sinks to his knees. His dreams shattered in an instance, tears forming in his eyes. He chuckles, sniffing so he can stop them from falling, feeling silly, hurt and angry, all at the same time. Emotions swirled as shame and anger burned just under his skin and a deep within. Not sure of why he was crying, his fingers curled into a fist he bites his lower lip, tight but unable to stop the tears from falling down, losing any hope, he has ever built up for himself.

You’re such an idiot Jungkook.