Chapter 9

My Unscripted Life

Jimin brushes his hair back, chuckling, avoiding Jungkook’s gaze. Jungkook still trying to figure out what just happened, remained silent. 

“Um…” says Jimin, “I…um, I actually have some errands to run.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I totally forgot about it,” says Jimin, clearing his throat.

Jungkook stares at him, silent for a second, as confused as he is, pressing for answers from Jimin is probably not a good idea. 

“I’m…I’m gonna go home, then,” says Jungkook.

“Look…I’m sorry about- “

“It’s fine, I have homework anyway,” says Jungkook, “I’ll see you around.”

 

Jimin walks Jungkook out as he awkwardly smiles, waving bye to him. Jungkook takes a deep and smiles, waving at him.

“See ya,” says Jimin.

“See ya,” says Jungkook.

A few feet away, he turns around, but the door was already closed. Jungkook grunts, replaying everything that just happened in an hour or less than an hour. What do people do in these situations?

 

He slams the door, groaning. He falls down on the bed, with a smile plastered on his face, staring at the ceiling. He closes his eyes. He traces his lips, as a snapshot of that moment their lips touched flashed in his mind as his heart started to race and his whole body heated up. It was just for a minute, but he felt everything down to his toes. Is this what love feels like? 

 

***

Saturday 

Jungkook grabs his duffle bag after getting ready for his swim practice. He takes a look in the mirror, one last time, hurrying down the stairs.

“Jungkook, let's go!” shouts Namjoon from downstairs.

“I’m here, hyung,” says Jungkook, walking in the kitchen.

“You know, why so early in the morning?” asks Namjoon, putting his glass down, and grabbing a banana.

“Because it’s the weekend, and we have things to do in the evening,” says Jungkook, “And you ask this every day.”

“Yeah, I know, I'm just hoping your practice will be at ten am or something. I want to sleep in on the weekend.”

“Hmm…why don’t you let drive to school?”

“Hahaha, nice try,” says Namjoon, opening the door, “Or you could just walk like you usually do”

“The car isn’t for me, it’s for Taehyung, I always give him a ride after practice,” says Jungkook.

“You mean I give him a ride,” says Namjoon.

Jungkook rolls his eyes, “Whatever hyung.”

 

Jungkook takes a deep breath of the morning air, cold and chilly as a breeze brushes against his cheek. As he waits for Namjoon while he locks the door when suddenly he sees Jimin coming up the corner, jogging. Jungkook eyes widen, his nose wrinkles, grinning, everything somehow felt like spring has come early, beautiful and colorful. He takes a deep breath, as Jimin approaches them,

“Good morning, Namjoon-hyung, Jungkook,” greets Jimin, stopping in front of them.

“Goo- “

“Good morning, hyung,” says Jungkook interrupting Namjoon who turns to him baffled.

“Practice?”

“Yeah, every weekend.”

“I don’t know how you guys manage to be up so early,” says Namjoon.

“Well, I can’t be fit without putting work into it,” says Jimin, chuckling as he brushes his hair, “Well, see you guys.”

 

Jimin waves at him as he walks past them, heading to his house. Jungkook follows him with his eyes, in a complete daze.

“Let’s go,” says Namjoon, slightly nudging him on the shoulders.

 

The car ride was filled with music, as Jungkook gazes out the window, thinking about all the things he wanted to say to Jimin. They needed to talk, they did after all kiss if there was a perfect opportunity for him to confess his feelings this would be it.

Namjoon clears his throat, “So, it’s pretty cool that Jimin jogs every morning on the weekend, isn’t it?”

“Jiminie-hyung has always been athletic, it's not surprising he jogs. He also dances and skateboards.”

“Mmm-hmm,” says Namjoon as their eyes meet.

“What?”

“Nothing, I’m just surprised you know so much about him, that’s all.”

Jungkook scoffs, panicking, did Namjoon notices something? “Um…well… we’ve been neighbors since like ever and he’s Jennie’s best friend so…”
“That’s cool,” says Namjoon, turning forward. Jungkook exhales relieved Namjoon didn’t think much about it. If his crush on Jimin is obvious everyone would notice and that would be embarrassing.

 

Jungkook grabs his duffle bag, thanking his brother as he gets out of the car. He waits until Namjoon leaves before turning around and heading to towards the school. As he walks, he hears his name and turns around to see Taehyung and Jacob. They exchange handshakes as they greet each other.

“Man, I hate morning practice,” complains Jacob, yawning.

“Yeah, you stayed up playing video games again,” says Taehyung, shaking his head in disbelieve.

“I know but I completed the level,” he says, proudly. Jungkook laughs, he was to occupied last night to stay and play games. He had an essay and math homework to finish and top of it, he couldn’t stop thinking about the kiss- he doesn’t remember when he fell asleep.

 

They walk inside the locker room, to change into their swimming trunks.

“So how did you plan with Jimin go?” asks Taehyung.

“Huh?

“You had plans with him, yesterday didn’t you?”

Jungkook sighs, glancing at him, pondering whether he should talk about it. It wasn’t like Jimin was in the closet or something, and if there is anyone who can keep a secret is Taehyung.

“Well?”

“Oh, nothing much, just listened to music and then I left, he had some errands to run,” he says, changing his mind, he wasn’t ready to talk about his crush on Jimin, especially since he has no clue about Jimin’s feelings.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he’s pretty weird,” says Jungkook, closing his locker, “Let’s go.”

“Okay…”

 

Jungkook made a turn, after , as always practice was tedious and robotic, but he loved being in the water. It was a safe place, in the water he had no worries and no stress- all he has to do is focus on the sound of the water and the cool water on his skin, it felt great. He was competitive as one of the top performers in the team but even that he did not stress him out as things always come naturally to him. His mother often jokes that he talent was embedded in him, that he excels at everything because he was blessed; a golden child, a title he does not embrace much because it made him sound like he just wakes up and performs well. Yes, he excels at everything, but his hard work has much to do with it than just being blessed. Sometimes he wonders if that’s the reason his parents see his uality as a flaw, something not be acknowledged or discussed.

 

As practice came to an end, the coach gave everyone a preview of what to expect on and a pep talk of working hard. They all cheered and agreed, and they were dismissed. After showering, they get dressed. Jungkook dries his hair with a small towel, tossing it in the duffle bag after he was done. He runs his fingers through his damp hair, brushing it back, he turns to Taehyung.

“So, are we still having a sleepover today?”

“Yeah, if you are down, Lisa slept over yesterday.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, she had a fight with her sister.”

“Again?”

“Yap, they’re like cats and dogs,” says Taehyung.

“Tell me about it. Let’s go, Namjoon is almost here.”

 

After bidding their teammate's bye, Taehyung and Jungkook hanging out in front of the school building waiting for Namjoon. Taehyung gets dropped off by a friend of his mother, their neighbor but she goes to work right after so Jungkook has always given him a ride home after school, which is one of the reasons why he gets dropped off as well. That and also because he was too lazy to walk to school on Weekends and with his mother worrying so much, Namjoon has no choice but to drop him off.

 

The car stops in front of them, and they both get in.

“Hi,” greets Taehyung.

“Hey,” replies Namjoon.

 

Taehyung thanks Namjoon for the ride, Namjoon smiles, telling him not to worry about it.

“I’ll text you when I ask my mom,” says Jungkook.

“Okay.”

He waves at them, and they wave back at him, as he turns around, heading to his house.

“Ask mom what?”

“If I can sleep over?”

“Aren’t you guys a little old for a sleepover?” teases Namjoon, laughing.

“Says who?” he replies, glaring at him.

“Says your age,” he says, turning on the car and pulling the car in reserve and then drive.

“So, what?”

“It’s Saturday, aren’t’ you guys suppose to be at parties or something?”

“Yeah because that’s all teenagers do, party.”

“The cools ones,” says Namjoon laughing. 

“Funny,” replies Jungkook, rolling his eyes.

“I’m serious though,” says Namjoon, clearing his throat, “It’s okay to be reckless when you're young. It’s weird you don’t have a boyfriend.”

“What?”

“You’re so good-looking,” says Namjoon, “I mean not as handsome as me but you’re second.”

Jungkook glances at his brother who had a goofy grin on his face, not wanting to indulge him, he sighs, ignoring him. Teasing and mocking was a classic Namjoon move when he is trying to get you to spill something without asking directly. He has been using the same method on Jennie and him since they were kids- learned many of their secrets because of that.

 

They finally reach home, Jungkook thank him as he grabs his duffle bag.

“Hey, tell mom, I went running some errands,” says Namjoon as he pulls out of the driveway. Jungkook watches him puzzled, wondering where he is going? Probably something with Jessica, it was only eleven o’clock in the morning and he was already running errands.

 

As he was about to open the door, the door swings open and Jimin was standing in front of him. Surprised he takes a step back, staring at him, wondering why he is at he is here? They stand in silence for a split second, eyes wandering before their gaze met.

“Hi,” says Jungkook, smiling.

“Hi,” replies Jimin, smiling back.

“What’re you doing here?”

“Oh…returning the pan my mom borrowed last week,” he replies, biting his lower lip, fidgeting with his hands.

Silence fall over them, unsettled eyes glanced around and avoiding catching the other’s glance. Jungkook watches him as Jimin shifts uncomfortably. Something was wrong but what?”

Jimin clears his throat, “Can we talk?” he says, dimly.

Jungkook gulps, the concern on his face making him nervous, as much as he wanted to talk to him, he now wished he never ran into him right now. At least he would have prepared or something.

“Yeah, sure,” he replies.

 

Jimin joins him outside, closing the door behind him. He was silent, lost in thoughts before sighing and looking up at him.

“I want to apologize.”

“Apologize?”

“Yeah, I should’ve not kissed you,” he says, “That wasn’t cool.”

“Oh?” says Jungkook, feeling his heart crush as he clenches his jaw, not sure of what else to say.

“And we just forget about it, I don’t want Jennie to think I’m making move on her little brother.”

“Oh…um…so that kiss…you regret it?”

“Huh?”

“Well, yeah,” says Jimin, “It was the heat of the moment and I realize now that I caused it, so- “

Jungkook scoffs, baffled as he tries to register what he was hearing, trying to make it make sense. Was Jimin saying he kissed him at the spar of the moment?

“So, are you mad at me?” he asks, serious.

“Mad?” says Jungkook, “Why would be mad?”

“Well, I don’t want you to think I was like messing with your feelings or something,” says Jimin.

Jungkook chuckles, tongue against cheek, hunched over as his hand clenched the strap of the duffle bag. He had made that kiss into something more than it was. Not sure of how to feel aside from bitterness and idiotic, he wanted more than anything to be angry at him out but as Jungkook’s gaze traveled his face, he couldn’t hate him. He was devasted as his heart tighten and shutter, he was rejected before he had a chance to confess his feelings. There were only two options left now, he could confess to get it off his chest or just pretend that the kiss also meant nothing as well. 

“Jungkook?” calls Jimin.

“Yeah, um sorry,” he says, lost in thoughts, “Um…it’s fine, you don’t have to apologize, you did nothing wrong. We both kissed each other at the heat of the moment.”

Jimin exhales, relieved as a huge grin plasters across his face, “Oh, thank god, so we can still be friends?”

“Friends?” says Jungkook, “Um…sure.”

“Okay, cool,” says Jimin, his voice trailing off for a second. He clears his throat, “I’ll see you around.”

Jimin smiles, gently touching his shoulder, a simple yet electrifying touch that Jungkook would’ve have rejoiced if his heart was not aching. Jungkook watches him walk away.

​​​​​​Jennie's little brother? That's all he sees me as.