Chapter 3

My Unscripted Life

After washing off, Jungkook heads downstairs for dinner, bumping into Jennie. Both approaching the stairs at the same, they glance at each other before quickly racing down the steps, pushing each other with their shoulders. As they reach the end of the steps, Jungkook jumps off, landing perfectly on the floor, laughing as his sisters glare at him.

“Stupid,” she says, elbowing him as she walks past him. 

 

When they entered the dining room, they meet with their mother’s gaze, unpleased as she knows they were running down the stairs- something she warned them not to do, since Jennie ended up with a twisted ankle. She did not have to say much, her penetrating glare was the only words they needed as they bow their heads apologetically as they greet them, making their way to their seats. Their brother Namjoon walks in the living room, and as he walks over to his seat, he smacks Jungkook on the head, slightly.

“Ow! hyung!

“What did mom say about that stupid game?” he says sitting down beside him.

Jungkook caresses his head, glaring at him, “I didn’t start it.”

“I didn’t either,” says Jennie, sticking out her tongue.

“Stop it, you two,” says their father.

 

Jungkook throws an eye dart at her before turning away, not wanting to be chastised by his stepfather. His relationship with his stepfather has always been weirdly strange because of his strange how he was conceived. Jennie and Namjoon are biological siblings- same father, same mother, he shared the same mom as them but has a different father which is why he also has a different last name. Namjoon and Jennie's last name are Kim while he is Jeon. When his mother got with his father, she was going through a rough time with his stepfather and were separated for a while.

She moved back to Busan to her parents where she meets his father, her high school sweetheart at a reunion, one thing lead to another and he was created. His parents never got together officially because his mother and his stepfather decided to work things out. His stepfather accepted him even though his father is still in his life- he always felt like he was somehow a reminder of the time, his mother and stepfather were going through a rough time. It was a strange feeling that he brushes off because despite being an unconventional family, he never felt unloved or out of place. His father resided in Busan, and he would go visit him during the summer when he has time but his father being a businessman makes it impossible to stay in touch especially since he has his own family now. 

 

“So, it’s Valentine’s Day dance at your school?” asks Namjoon, “Got any dates, guys?”

Jungkook scoffs, “Not many guys are out at school,” he says, taking a bite of his Barbeque chicken.

“There is a lot of gay guys at school,” says Jennie, “You’re just annoying, that’s why no one asked you.”

 

Jungkook rolls his eyes, ignoring her, his gaze meeting with his mother and stepfather. He clears his throat. He came out to his family when he was a sophomore in high school, and they were not cool about it, which was not surprising especially with how conservative and traditional they are. But after a while with his brother support, they had no choice but to come to term with it even though his uality has become sort of like a forbidden topic. They say they accept it with words, but they never acknowledge it, which sometimes annoys him because he feels like he has to “come out” to them over and over again.

“Well, I’m going to ask Jimin to the dance?”

Jungkook glances up at his sister, who had a huge grin, clasping her hands together.

“Jimin?” asks Namjoon, “Aren’t you two always going together though?”

“Well…yeah but this time it’s going to be different, I’m going to tell him I like him.”

Jungkook drops the fork, motionless, a burning sensation in his belly. Jennie and Jimin have been going to dance together since they were kids but knowing Jennie has feelings for him, made him feel jealous. She has more chance of probably succeeding than he does, and the thought made him feel helpless and foolish.

“He’s your best friend,” says Namjoon, “Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Why wouldn’t it be? We’re perfect together, no one knows him as well as me just as no one knows me as well as him.”

“I just don’t think that’s a good move, what if he says no?”

“What if he doesn’t?” she replies, getting annoyed at Namjoon’s negativity. Jungkook picks up his fork, toning them out as he continues eating.

  Jennie is beautiful, why wouldn’t he say yes?

***

Wednesday 

Jungkook exhausted and feeling unrested, quietly makes his way to the library, somehow hoping to find the note underneath the keyboard. He couldn’t sleep all night, his mind occupied with thoughts of Jennie and Jimin together and top it off, dreaming about them together, Jimin accepting her as his girlfriend did not make things better. He kept to himself throughout the whole day and wanted to vent, and what’s a better way than to vent to a stranger, he thought.

 

His heart pounded against his chest as he approaches the empty chair once again. As soon as he sits, he looks for the sticky note, finding it, he exhales, relieved. He glances around to make sure no one sees him, as he quickly reads the note.

♫ My heartache would stay with you
Escape with you. ♫

PS: Hi stranger. You’re right this generation is really tone deaf. We’re the lucky ones.

 

Jungkook chuckles, feeling strangely weird and yet comforted when he read the note. Without hesitation, he quickly scribbles the next lines but going with fives lines instead of the normal two, the word jealous,  resonating with him at the moment.

♫ I like my girls just like I like my honey, sweet
A little selfish, huh
I like my women like I like my money, green
A little jealous. ♫

PS: Hi to you too. Not feeling very lucky today, just a little green. Hope you had a better day than me?

He stares at it for a few seconds before posting it back, caressing it so he sticks. He still couldn’t believe he was exchanging notes with a random person, but it felt good talking about his feelings, no one knew about his crush on Jimin. It was something he kept to himself, mostly because he doesn’t want his friends and sister to laugh at him. Having a crush on Jimin is something he found ridiculous himself as the guy never showed any signs of being gay. Everyone knew he was single because he doesn’t date anyone from the same school or, so he heard.

 

***

Jungkook walks quietly, eyes glued on his phone, playing games, oblivious to his friends who were next to him. Even though he was playing games, his mind was restless and occupied of various thoughts, from his secret pen pal to the lovers in the hallway making out, to Jennie and Jimin and his swim practice that they were headed to now.

“You’re going to run into a wall,” says Taehyung, nudging him with his elbow.

“I can see where I’m going,” says Jungkook, putting his phone away, “Anyway, why are walking us to the pool?”

“Who says I’m walking you guys?” says Lisa, defensively.

“She just wants to see Jacob and pretend it was a coincidence,” says Taehyung, laughing.

“Shut the up,” roars Lisa, “I do not and besides I already turned him down.” Jungkook and Taehyung exchange glances, and turn to her, filled with curiosity,

“When did he ask you?” they say at the same time.

“He sent me a message over Facebook last night,” she says.

“How romantic?” says Taehyung, sarcastically.

“That’s lame, I was hoping he would make a grand gesture at school,” says Jungkook, pretending to be disappointed.

“ you,” says Lisa, “I’m going to the pool because I don’t want to deal with my sister at home.”

“Your sister is home?” asks Taehyung.

“Yeah, she came from her trip two days ago,” says Lisa, “And she is already pissing me off.”

“That ,” says Jungkook. Lisa and her sister, Chompoo were like cats and dogs, always bickering and fighting despite the between them. Her sister works as a flight attendant just like Taehyung’s mother.

“You should come crash at my house,” says Taehyung, “My mom just went back to work, she won’t be back in seven days.”

“We can totally have a sleepover,” says Lisa, her face lighting up.

“Yeah but just the three of us,” says Taehyung, “I don’t want to lose her trust.”

“Alright,” says Jungkook, “So we can totally have a game night on the weekend.”

“Yeah,” says Taehyung, as they high five each other.