Chapter 11

My Unscripted Life

“Did you see how fast, I was,” exclaims Jungkook, filled with excitement.

“You were so fantastic baby,” says his mother.

“I cannot believe we beat Davenport High School,” he says, recalling the events, “They beat us so bad last year, but we came back like flash.”

“Your favorite tonight,” she says, “I’ll make a feast.”

“Hmm, thanks but I still have a diet to maintain,” he says, playing with the necklace around his neck. 

“That’s a cute lucky charm,” says his mother, glancing at the necklace that glistens around his neck. Jungkook chuckles, putting it underneath his shirt,

“It was a gift.”

“Oh? From a friend?”

“Something like that,” he says.

“A special friend?” she says, glancing at him for a few seconds before turning to the front.

“I don’t think you want to know about my personal life,” he says quietly.

His mom snickers, “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Really? How about the fact that you guys don’t want to acknowledge my uality.”

“Since when?”

“Since ever, it’s like I have to come out over and over again because you guys always seem to forget.”

“Jungkook,” says his mom, “Your father and I have nothing against your uality- “

“If you say so,” he says, looking out the window, as his mother turns.

His mother sighs, loudly, “Is that necklace from your boyfriend then?”

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” he replies, as his mother parks the car. Not in the mood to argue, he thanks her for coming to his race, and gets off the car, leaving her baffled. He spots Jimin, heading towards them on his skateboard, and smiles widely.

“Hey, Jimin-hyung!”

Jimin stops in front of them, “Hey, how was the competition?”

“We won,” says Jungkook.

“That’s cool,” says Jimin, smiling, he averts his gaze to his mom, “Hi aunty.”

“Jimin, where are you headed so late in the afternoon?”

“My parents are working overtime, so I was just going to buy something to eat for dinner.”

“Hmm?” says his mom, “Well, why don’t you come over, I’m going to make plenty of food, to celebrate his win.” 

“I couldn’t impose on your family dinner.”

“Oh, please, what imposing, I insist, what would your mother say if she knows your out eating junk.”

Jimin laughs, “Okay, I’ll come over, thank you.” Jungkook’s eyes avert between his mom and Jimin, his mom caresses his shoulder gently as she walks past him, leaving him alone with Jimin.

“It looks like it works,” says Jungkook, pointing at the necklace.

Jimin blushes, “Oh, I’m sure luck as a little to do with it but thanks for wearing it.”

“Of course, why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, looks like I don’t have to go to the store anymore,” he says.

“Yeah, saves you money, not that you need to save any, with your parents being doctors and all,” rumbles Jungkook, as Jimin gazes at him, making him nervous.

“My parents are doctors, not me,” he teases, pouting, “I still have to save money.”

“I wasn…I didn’t mean to- “

“You’re so easy,” says Jimin chuckling, gazing at him. Without uttering a word, Jimin takes a step closer to him, standing face to face, Jungkook watches him, wondering what he is doing as Jimin places his hand on his cheek, sending electricity throughout his body. Jungkook swallows, standing still, as his eyes scan Jimin’s face, his ears red and his face on fire. Jimin chuckles, moving his hand, “You had a hair on your cheek,” he says.

“Oh?”

“Anyway, I’ll see you later.”

“See ya.”

Jungkook watches him jump on his skateboard, skating away, he sighs, able to breathe again. He caresses the spot Jimin touched. 

 

As always when she has the chance, his mother went all out for dinner but more than the food that was on the table, Jungkook was more excited with Jimin coming over for dinner.

 

As he helps his mother by setting up the table, Jungkook glances over at the door each time he walks from the kitchen to the dining room. He sighs, disappointed as he takes the bowl of salad to the dining room, as his father and Namjoon, walk in the room. Listening for the dinner, Jungkook was oblivious to anything else, almost spilling the salad in the process,

“Watch it!” exclaims Namjoon.

“,” he says, chuckling nervously, “Sorry.”

 

As everyone gathers around the dining room, the doorbell rings, Jungkook quickly gets up from his seat. His family stared at him baffled as he collects him, embarrassed for being so obvious.

He gives them a small smile, “I got it.”

“I’ll go open it,” says Jennie, coming down from the stairs.

Jungkook sighs, disappointed, it would make no sense for him to open the door when Jennie was closer to it than him, he sits back down, annoyed.

“Since when have you been so eager to open the door?” asks Namjoon, staring at him, suspiciously.

“I'm not,” he says, “I just wanted to be helpful.”

“Helpful?”

Jungkook exhales, ignoring him, subtly glancing over his shoulders, his face lights up when he sees Jimin walking in the living room with Jennie. He was dressed casual yet not his usual, baggy sweater and ripped up jeans; he wore a plain white long sleeve t-shirt and black jeans.

“Wow, he’s cute,” he mutters underneath his breath.

“Jimin,” says Namjoon, “Didn’t know you were coming over, Jennie never said anything.”

“I invited him,” their mother, “Let’s eat.”

 

Jungkook’s gaze follows Jimin who sits down across from him, beside Jennie. His gaze meets with Namjoon, who had a smirk on his face. Jungkook averts his gaze, turning to the food on his plate, as he clears his throat.

***

Fri.

A week has gone by since his competition and Jimin came over for dinner, nothing special happened since then. It was already March, his anonymous friend and he decided to continue chatting with each other despite the lyrics to the song coming to end. They discussed what grade they're in, and he was happy to know his anonymous friend was a senior, which means there won’t be any chance of them ever bumping into each other. Their names and gender never came up in any of their conversations, but Jungkook didn’t care, it was easy for him to spill his feelings over a paper than to his friends.

Jungkook stares at the paper, the color was different, instead of yellow it was green, he reads the words again not sure of what to say. His anonymous friend was in the same boat as him, they had feelings for someone who they do not know how to approach despite doing everything they can to keep their attention, just like he has been doing with Jimin. But since the dinner, Jimin was spending more time with Jennie, their walks home became less and with it, their interactions became less as well.

Jungkook scans the words on the green sticky note,

I think he is lost interest in me. I don’t know what I should do. The words resonated with him a lot, he also doesn’t know what to do about Jimin anymore, with each passing day, their distances keep growing and that terrified him.

He twirls the necklace, feeling a bit relaxed,

I don’t think he lost interest in you. Maybe you’re giving him signs that he is misleading. Have you told him about your feelings?

Jungkook sighs, reading his words over and over, “Maybe I should take my own advice and confess to Jimin,” he mutters underneath his breath.

 

As the bell rings, Jungkook clenching on his backpack strap, zoning out, makes his way to his foreign class, oblivious to his surroundings. Lost in a debate in his head over whether he should finally tell Jimin his feelings, no matter what.

As he turns around the corner, he comes face to face with Jimin, shocked, he takes a step back, staring at him as if he was hallucinating.

“Jungkook?”

“Hey, Jimin-hyung,” says Jungkook, smiling.

“Heading to class?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you coming from the library?”

“Yeah, how do you know?”

“I saw you when I was going to the bathroom,” says Jimin, “Didn’t think you were so studious?”

“I’m not, I just like play games,” he says, regretting it as soon it escapes his mouth, feeling silly.”

Jimin laughs, averting his gaze, Jungkook follows his eyes as they land on the necklace around Jungkook’s neck. He chuckles softly, before glancing up and locking eyes with Jungkook,

“I’m having a party today; do you want to come?”

Jungkook’s eyes widen, “Pa-party?”

“Are you busy?”

“N-no-, I’m not busy, yeah I would love to,” he says.

“You can bring your friends if you want,” says Jimin.

“Okay, cool.”

“Okay, I’ll see you later then.”

“See ya.”

 

Jimin walks past him, brushing against his shoulder, Jungkook’s gaze follows him as Jimin turns around, smiling. They stare at each other for a few seconds, Jimin almost running into someone when he turns to back, Jungkook chuckles. Jimin turns around, shrugging his shoulder and waving at him. Jungkook waves at him,

So cute.

This party is the perfect opportunity he needed to confess his feelings to Jimin. Jungkook exhales, getting butterfly’s in his stomach as the warning bell goes off. Will confessing his feelings to Jimin, make a difference? He wonders.

What if he ignores me in the process? It won’t make a difference anyway as I haven’t spoken to him until now.

He takes a deep breath, picking up his pace as to not be late for class.

confessing is the only way to really determine what he really thinks of me.