Duck

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

 


Present Day

 


Kim Chaewon.

 


One of Seoul University's well-known musical prodigies. Oozing with charisma and confidence in every performance. She can tackle any genre like it was made for her. She'd made a name for herself in the music industry, debuting as a theatrical singer at the mere age of 13. She has also grabbed attention by posting modern pop covers on Youtube, garnering 8 million subscribers. She had everything, the talent, the wealth, the popularity, the good-looks. She had everything... but Kwon Eunbi.

 


She'd known dance major Kwon Eunbi all throughout high school. The girl was two years older than her. She was her favorite unnie, her mother figure, and her first love. Chaewon was a third generation chaebol, while Eunbi came from a lower middle-class family. They met, they fell in love and drifted apart. Like a cliche love story. But they remained friends, up till now. Like nothing ever transpired during their brief separation. And it confused Chaewon so much. After everything that happened, how does Eunbi expect her to just move on? But it didn't matter, at least not anymore. She's now at a position where she doesn't need to depend on anyone. She'd learn to be independent emotionally. She, Kim Chaewon didn’t need Kwon Eunbi anymore. At least that’s what she wanted to convince herself. 

 


"Again. You sound like a robot." 

 


Chaewon sang again. Not liking her instructor's expression. 

 


"Kim Chaewon, are you really taking this seriously? You have no emotion in your singing at all!" The instructor began to tap his foot impatiently where he was sitting.

 

"I'm sorry, I'll do it again." Chaewon did a small apologetic bow and was prepared to sing again before the instructor raised his hand and signalled her to stop.

 


"No, that's all for today. Go home and get some rest.” The instructor got up and shook his head in frustration.

 


"Yes, sir." Chaewon lowered her gaze to the soles of her feet, she refused to make eye contact with him.

 


Chaewon sighed when she heard the practice room door shut again. She didn't know what she was doing wrong. She'd always sang that way. She felt so frustrated not knowing how to improve.

 


She blew her hair in one last sigh of frustration and decided not to ponder about her singing any further tonight and slid out of the practice room.

 


She pulled out her phone to see that the time was already 7:30 p.m and groaned in further frustration as she thought about all the homework and studying that she didn't wanna do.

 


She walked down the hallways, hearing a melodious sound coming from one of the spare rooms.

 


Chaewon stopped and retraced her steps as she peered through a slightly open door.

 


There, she saw a girl singing soulfully, eyes closed and feeling the rhythm and every emotion she couldn't project. Chaewon frowned. How does she do it so naturally? How does Choi Yena, the loud obnoxious girl in her class sing so much better than her? Chaewon won in skill, but Yena beats her in passion. And she did not want to accept that.

 


She bursted in unannounced. Startling the poor girl and causing her to drop her croissant, which she was using as a microphone.

 


"Oh God, you scared me!" Yena exclaimed, hands on her chest.

 


"You."

 


Yena pointed a finger to herself, "Me?"

 


"Who else would it be?" 

 


"Jinyoung over there." She pointed to a corner.

 


“Jinyoung?” Chaewon hadn't even noticed there was another person there.

 


"Hi." Waved a tall and slender boy with Harry Potter looking glasses, who was now discovered sitting in the corner of the room with a laptop on his lap. 

 


"Get out." 

 


"Yes, ma'am." The poor Jinyoung rapidly got up and sped walked to the door, head down refusing to look at the scary monster who just barged in. 

 


"Wait-" Yena was about to stop the boy from leaving until Chaewon turned back to her and pointed again. 

 


"We need to talk-"

 


"Is this a confession? You're really cute but I'm not really ready to be in a relationship yet. My brother would kill me but you know-"

 


Chaewon took a half step back in confusion at the wild suggestion, "That's not what I-" 

 


"If you really do like me then maybe I can give you a chance-" Yena placed her hand on her chin, giving Chaewon a quick once-over. 

 


"Choi Yena-" 

 


"Maybe we can work it out, who knows? But I don't really know what you see in me-"

 


"SINGING! I CAME HERE TO ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR SINGING."

 


"Oh." Yena dumbly halted.

 


"What about it?"

 


“How do you sing with emotions?”

 


“I don't know.” The blonde girl shrugged.

 


“You don't know?”

 


“I mean, I just think of things that suit the mood of the song I guess?”

 


“Then, what did you think of while you were singing earlier?”

 


“Hmm,” Yena pondered for a moment. “I can’t really explain, but I can show you.”

 


Yena walked to the door. Chaewon stood still, eyes following the girl.

 


“Ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter