No more Doors

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Mina quietly slid the door open. The dark hospital room seemed ghostly, almost sinister as there was no longer any sunlight outside. Peering over she saw that the girl was still fast asleep. She smiled in amusement thinking how it was her blasted snoring that disturbed the girl in the first place. Pulling up a chair next to Yena’s bed, Mina stared at the monitors connected to both her heart rate and O2 level. 

 

Unsatisfied with how Yena was laying, Mina rearranged her so that her neck had better support. She frowned in confusion as she patted the edge of Yena’s pillow. It was oddly damp. She continued down the rest of the bed and saw no further evidence of dampness. Just in case, she administered Yena’s temperature and sighed in relief to see that it was at a normal range. She fidgeted with the finger thermometer that she placed on Yena’s finger. 

 

“Unnie what is that?”

 

“This?” Mina pointed to the tiny hand thermometer she was about to use.

 

“It looks like a laser gun,” Mina chuckled at the innocent remark.

 

“This is used so we can check your body temperature and make sure you’re going to grow up to be a healthy big girl. Look.” Mina slipped on the thermometer onto the tiny, frail index finger in front of her.

 

Mina opened her eyes to the sound of the door opening. She rushed to get up and was in bliss as she was warmly accepted into the arms of her beautiful girlfriend.

 

 “We were only separated for forty minutes, clingy much?” Nayeon chuckled.

 

“Don’t you ever let me go.” Mina looked up into her girlfriend's eyes, voice muffled against Nayeon’s collar.

 

“And what if I have to pee?” The older girl playfully retaliated while waving her girlfriend back and forward on her feet. 

 

“Hold it in” Mina squeezed tighter into Nayeon with little intent of letting go.

 

“You’re going to force it out if you continue.” She laughed while tucking Mina’s hair behind her ear.

 

“Does getting your own room not apply when you’re sick?” Both girls jumped in fright forgetting where they stood.

 

“Sorry, Yena.” Mina broke the embrace and turned the lights on.

 

“It’s okay, it was cute.” Seeing Yena smile overwhelmed Mina in joy.

 

“I have good news for you Yena.” Nayeon quickly rushed over to the girl and bent over to whisper to her.

 

Mina couldn’t understand what the exchange was but all she needed to hear was “Don’t tell Mina.” to cause her to put her hands on her waist.

 

“You know, this is where I work and I'm the last person you want to keep secrets from.” She scowled in jealousy.

 

“It’s exactly because this is your job we can’t tell you.” Nayeon stuck her tongue out at her girlfriend before cowering after seeing Mina grab her favorite weapon aka her slipper. 

 

“You know how I hate secrets.” Mina stomped her feet in frustration.

 

 Yena was bemused as she never saw the older girl act so cute. She turned her head to Nayeon as if to say ‘tell her before she kills you.’

 

Nayeon’s eye twitched before giving in. “Fine, I was telling Yena how her roommates were coming and I told them to pick up her favorite dessert and I'll pay for it.” Nayeon faced Yena back with a stare that seemed to say, ‘There, are you happy now?’

 

“Not allowed.”

 

“See? This is why I told you we couldn’t say anything.” Nayeon exaggeratedly knelt over Yena’s legs as if she was stricken down by grief. 

 

Yena’s earshot up to the sound of muffled vibration. She watched as Mina clutched her coat pocket before digging her phone out. 

 

“Hey, are you okay?” 

 

“Mmm.”

 

Yena studied Mina’s face. Her smile slowly turned into a frown as she somberly nodded her head to whoever she was talking to. Yena hoped that it was maybe Chaewon saying she was on her way. But from the manner of the call, the content of the conversation did not seem well.

 

“I’ll be there as soon as possible.” Mina hung up the call and closed her eyes in thought. She was clearly annoyed.

 

“What’s up, babe?” Nayeon opened one eye, still laying over Yena’s leg in what looked like the most uncomfortable position. 

 

“It’s Chaewon. I don’t think her and Eunbi’s talk went very well.” 

 

Yena’s smile dropped at the mention of the pair. She had almost wished she was still asleep so she didn’t have to hear those exact words.

 

Nayeon sat up back in her chair and took a deep breath. “ And are we supposed to be surprised?” 

 

“Either way, I'm going to go pick her up now.” Mina collected her keys and made sure she had all her essentials. “I’ll be back in about an hour, there shouldn’t be much traffic at this time.” She walked up to kiss Nayeon’s cheek and brushed her hand against Yena’s cheek before walking off.

 

Nayeon deviously looked at Yena who was puzzled by the sudden change in expression. They both let out a yelp at Mina slamming the hospital door open abruptly. “ And no, you can't give Yena any treats till she recovers. I’ll talk to the nurse on my way out about giving Yena dinner.”

 

“I hate what they make me eat. '' Yena grumbled while looking down at her fingers. Mina sympathized with the poor girl recalling Yena’s experience with being confined to a hospital bed and eating the nutritious, but god awful food they made the girl eat. 

 

Yena blew at her bangs in disappointment.

 

“Okay fine, only something small and I mean it.” Mina pointed threateningly at her girlfriend who was too busy celebrating to care. 

 

“You can go now. Bye, love you.” Nayeon picked up Yena’s hand to wave goodbye. Mina only waved her off as she closed the door.

 

“And then there were two.” She turned her attention back to the bedridden girl. Yena was once again looking down at her fingers and rubbing her knuckle with the center of her thumb. 

 

“Can you be honest with me?” Nayeon took Yena’s hand into her own to stop the girl from fidgeting. Yena looked up with a blank expression before shrugging. “Sure.”

 

“How much do you like Chaewon?”

 

 Yena flinched and quickly pulled away from Nayeon.

 

“Oooh hooo. I only said her name and look at you.” Nayeon bunny toothy smile was showing as she was proud of the reaction she got.

 

“Is it that obvious?” Yena shyly avoided eye contact with the older girl.

 

“Trust me, your face screams it every time I watch you guys talk.” Nayeon made an overtly disgusted face to cheer the girl up.

 

“It’s not like we can be anything more.” Yena continued to grumble and threw the blanket over her head not wanting to feel Nayeon’s eyes piercing her skull any further.

 

“Why not?” Nayeon upsettingly plucked the blanket off the girl’s head.

 

Yena cheerlessly turned around and went back to lying down.

 

Nayeon rolled her spinny chair all the way around Yena’s bed so she was facing her again and when Yena turned around she repeated kicking her legs on her rolling chair to get to the other side.

 

Admiring Nayeon’s effort. The girl sat back up and pouted. “I just don’t know how to...date.” 

 

Nayeon laughed at how Yena’s innocence was showing. “Have you never been in a relationship before?” She slightly mocked. Yena only threw the blanket over her face while rolling her eyes. She regretted even saying so little.

 

“It’s okay loser. Everyone has their first something.” Nayeon didn’t bother to take the blanket off but nudged herself closer to Yena. “Sorry, the chair’s too small for my .”

 

 Nayeon observed as the blanket on top of Yena’s face rippled from her laughing. 

 

Pulling the blanket down her face. Yena fixed her bangs and responded. “It’s just that... I CAN’T date.” She sulked.

 

“Sure you can!” Nayeon frowned at the girl. “Exactly what’s stopping you from trying?”

 

Yena turned so she was staring directly into Nayeon. “A lot, actually. I don’t know what to do.”

 

“Talk to me.” Nayeon curiosity was pipped. She put a hand to support her head as she leaned over the hospital bed to give her full attention 

 

“You have to promise you can’t tell anyone else.” Nayeon took out her pinky to assure the girl.

 

“Not even most of my roommates know this but...I had lymphoma cancer when I was a child.” 

 

Nayeon blinked rapidly not expecting the conversation to turn so dark. She quickly recovered her expression as Yena seemed slightly regretful.

 

 “Continue?” Nayeon held up a hand in apology.

 

“Well, I don’t know. Most of my high school life...I was unable to be a regular student. The cancer took a toll on my immune system and I can’t go out often or do most things others do.” Yena whispered. “ I’ve also been scared in particular about falling in love because..well, I can’t promise I'll always be there for them.” 

 

“So what makes Chaewon different?” Nayeon got to the crux of Yena’s dilemma.

 

“Like you already know. I think.” Yena shook her head in disagreement. “I know, I really like Chaewon. She's nothing like I've ever experienced before. She’s the first person I’ve ever met besides Yuri who treats me with such warmth. She challenges me and makes me do things I've never done.”

 

 Nayeon nodded her head in agreement but secretly she had to admit she was having difficulty seeing Chaewon in the same pleasant manner Yena was describing her.

  

“Most of all though..” Yena paused to catch her breath. Clenching her fist around her blanket as she continued. “She frustrates the hell out of me.” 

 

Nayeon couldn’t help but laugh a little at Yena’s emphasis on her frustration.

 

“It’s not funny!” She pouted at the older girl. “Someti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter