Home Is Where The Heart Is

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♡----------------------------------------------♡

Nayeon and Mina's House 11:00 A.M

(Two days later)

School was bound to start in a few days and Nayeon had done nothing but babysit Yena, try to cheer up her girlfriend who refused to talk to her still, and of course; track down wherever the hell Chaewon had been for the past 35 hours. Standing outside her back patio, Nayeon unfolded a small rectangular carton and gratefully nibbled on the of a white stick. Taking a lighter out of the same white carton and igniting the end of the stick; Nayeon exhaled a large grey cloud. 

 

“Still fighting with Mina?” Nayeon hissed as her ear poked up to the arrival of two familiar voices. She watched as Jeongyeon and Jihyo made their way through the side gate of their house and onto the stone patio she was on.

 

“No, what do you mean?” Nayeon viciously coughed, unused to the uneasy feeling from her lungs and throat. Jihyo disapprovingly took the cigarette out of Nayeon’s hand and squashed it under her grey vans into the stone below her. 

 

“You don’t smoke, let alone chain-smoke unless you two are seriously fighting.” Jihyo further pointed out the stacked ashtray on the wooden table Nayeon was leaning on.

 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Nayeon threw an annoyed hand at her best friends. 

 

“Here, we brought you food.” Jeongyeon placed a brown paper bag from their favorite restaurant onto the same circular table. “We got Mina’s favorite dish, so try making up with her when she gets home from work.” 

 

“Easier said than done.” Nayeon was already making her way in trying to ignite another cigarette before Jihyo had yanked it out of and threw it as far as she could into the yard. 

 

“How’s that Yena girl doing? Chaewon can be kind of a pain in the when she's grumpy.” Jeongyeon held a worried expression.

 

“You’re telling me.” Nayeon rolled her eyes, a migraine was forming beneath her lobes just at the reference of that redhead brat. “I drove Yena back to her place this morning.” 

 

Jihyo nodded her head intently. “Strange how Yena ended up texting Eunbi out of all people to come and pick up Chaewon at the rink.”

 

“Word gets out quickly doesn’t it?” Nayeon muttered under her breath.

 

“Don’t be such a pain in the cause you’ve been sleeping on the couch for the past two days.” Jihyo grouched. Nayeon threw up two hands in a sarcastic surrender.

 

 “It’s not like Eunbi doesn’t live at our house now, and it’s not like I had to move my car so she could get back out of the driveway.” Jihyo continued.

 

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry.” Nayeon smudged her palm over Jihyo’s lips to silence the nagging girl. All she wanted was to smoke in peace. 

 

“I thought those two were supposed to be on a date.” Jeongyeon frowned. “What the hell changed that duck's mind?”

 

“Ehh.” Nayeon blew her front bangs, “It’s too complicated to explain, you know how these younglings are.” 

 

“Sure reminds me of Mina and you back in the day.” Jihyo and Jeongyeon exchanged smirks.

 

“Why I oughta-”

 

“Either way good luck.” Jeongyeon stretched her overbearing arm out and patted Nayeon’s back, almost breaking her spine in the process .“At least it's nice outside today.” She added while covering her face from the bright sun. 

 

“I ing hate winter,” Nayeon grumbled. “Anyways, thanks for the food. I’ll text you guys later how miserably it’ll go tonight.” Jihyo and Jeongyeon both laughed at Nayeon’s rueful tone. “It’s okay, Sana already dropped off Mina’s favorite flowers and said it was from you, don’t let our efforts go to waste.”

 

“Glad to know you guys are more involved in this relationship than I am.” She waved them off.

 

“Okay smart mouth, we’ll catch you later. Make sure to hide all your kitchen knives before Mina gets back from work.''Both girls waved their goodbyes before exiting the backyard.

 

Nayeon let out a devious snicker once she heard the side gate shut signaling the two girl’s exit. At least now she could smoke in peace...or so she thought. The older girl awkwardly patted her back pockets to feel nothing but thin air. She momentarily eyed the blue sky in deep contemplation on where the hell she had left the carton. Desperately, she turned to her side and onto the patio table to see her packet of cigarettes gone. “God damn you Joo Jeongyeon and Park Jihyo.” Nayeon’s eyes twitched in annoyance. Groaning deeply, Nayeon mumbled out loud, “I better make sure I hide her favorite slippers too.” 

 

♡----------------------------------------------♡

Chaewon's Penthouse

(same time)

 

Chaewon confusingly looked to her left and then to the right, unfamiliar with her surroundings. She mentally asked why Kookeu hadn't her face to wake her up like he usually would around this time. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room she remembered that this was her real room and not the guest room from Mina and Nayeon’s house. 

 

Reaching her arm behind her head and slinging her phone from the charger, Chaewon chewed on her bottom lip. Yena hadn’t responded to any of her text messages since their abomination of a first date. She had even attempted to call her before sleeping last night but was sent straight to voicemail. Scrolling past Nayeon’s messages without bothering to respond, Chaewon tossed her phone into a random location on the bed and re-closed her eyes. 

 

She had enough trouble yesterday as it was, with Eunbi who refused to leave her alone. The constant worrying expression Eunbi wore as she sat silently in the corner of her room throughout the night was creepy. It was as if the girl had something she wanted to talk about but was at the same time unwilling to speak. In fact, Chaewon had just realized that the older girl hadn’t spoken a word to her the whole remainder of the car trip home and that night. Once Eunbi seemed convinced she was okay she quietly said goodbye and ubered herself back to the ice-rink to pick up her car. 

 

In the meantime, Chaewon had done nothing but lay in bed and stared at her ceiling. She didn’t eat, didn’t listen to music, didn’t even attempt to make music; not that she had her guitar in the first place. Her life for the past 32 hours had been nothing but emptiness. 

 

felt like a thousand forest fires and she gratefully gulped a mysterious mug of water that she knew wasn’t placed by her own doing. 

 

Kicking the fluffy blanket off her body, Chaewon began walking out of her room and towards the sound of bustling noise. She had made her way through her luxurious hallway and arrived in her kitchen to see a certain sore-eye cooking. 

 

“How did you get in?”

 

“Usually smart people have different passwords for their gate code and phone.” Eunbi continued to finish cooking without batting the younger girl any attention. Out of the corner of the Chaewon eye, she recognized that the older girl was cooking her favorite dish of braised short ribs and miso soup. 

 

Eunbi had just concluded draining the content of the steaming soup into two circular bowls and placed them onto the rectangular dining table where she awaited Chaewon patiently. 

 

Giving in to the temptation of Eunbi’s incredible cooking and the fact that she hadn’t eaten for the past twenty fours hours, the younger girl begrudgingly allowed her feet to carry her to the table. “Thanks.” She mumbled as Eunbi poured her a glass of juice. 

 

They both ate in silence for some time. Chaewon never looked up from her food while Eunbi blankly stared through the spacious window. The weather that day was particularly stunning for a change. Barely a cloud was in the sky which allowed the kitchen and penthouse to radiant in a delicious amount of natural lighting. It was the natural lighting in the first place that actually convinced Chaewon to move in where she did. Sadly, waking up to the sunlight on a fourteen-story penthouse paled in comparison to being to death by Kookeu until she rose up. And then, of course, proceeding to walk downstairs and hear Mina and Nayeon screaming at each other over who burnt the bacon. 

 

It was those memories of waking up in Mina and Nayeon house every morning for the past month, that gradually made Chaewon somber to her current location. Her shoulders felt heavy as they sagged every time she lifted her fork up, and the braised beef she had just finished chewing seemingly didn’t taste as good as Mina’s burnt bacon either. There was a realization as she sat silently ate, that her home didn’t feel like an actual home, not without Mina, Nayeon, and Kookeu at least. 

 

“When you’re finished get ready. :et’s go for a walk.” Eunbi finished the last remaining drops from the coffee pot. Her eyes floated to the near-empty and crumpled bag of coffee beans placed in the kitchen. It wasn’t like Chaewon drank coffee in the first place, nor did Mina or Nayeon come to visit often. Releasing a low sigh, Eunbi convinced herself she better lay off the caffeine before she developed “An unhealthy addiction,” as Sana always put it. 

 

Chaewon rose from the table and excused herself so she could wash up and change. Eunbi knew the younger girl only obliged to her demands because it was the quickest way to get her to leave her alone. It didn’t matter though. As long as Eunbi got to the bottom of everything she had been reflecting on she would be satisfied. Shifting her weight off the chair and towards the kitchen counter where the brown bag of coffee beans was. I guess one more cup won’t hurt. 

 

 

♡----------------------------------------------♡

An hour later

 

The two strolled together side by side past various joggers and couples on similar walks. There was a lack of green or any color as much of winter was yet ahead before spring could blossom. However, the piercing sunlight and relaxing ambiance were enough to satisfy Chaewoni and lift her spirit.

 

“Oh-.” 

 

Eunbi lazily tilted her head to the voice in question. Leaving a department store to their side with two shopping bags was no other than Sakura.

 

“I had to blink my eyes twice just to make sure I was seeing right.” Sakura brightly waved at Chaewon who gave a reluctant grin. 

 

“We just ran into each other on the streets and decided to walk together,” Eunbi explained bluntly, saving Chaewon some embarrassment. “Ahh, I see.” Sakura nodded her head. “Are you guys doing anything tonight by the way?” 

 

They both answered no before Eunbi followed up, “Why what’s up? Got plans other than playing video games with Mina?”

 

Sakura hid her giggle beneath her hand, “It’s still technically New Year even though only most western countries celebrate it. But there's a huge party at a frat house I'm close with, you guys should come!” 

 

Eunbi immediately grimaced at the idea of attending any more parties. This was her final year at the university after all, and per usual for any veteran university student, the idea of going out at night and indulging in alcohol was a better recipe for a nasty hangover rather than having fun. “I’ll pass, did you ask Jihyo or any of the girls?”

 

Sakura frowned at the refusal, “Except Nako and Hitomi who have grown into quite the party animals since Jihyo’s party, Sana and Momo are working a night shift at the hospital, and Jihyo and Jeongyeon said they’re too lazy .” 

 

“You didn’t bother asking Big teeth and Minari?” Eunbi mockingly smirked at the two nicknames they used to tease the couple over the years.

 

It was Sakura’s turn to scowl, “I texted Mina last night to say what’s up since I hadn’t seen her online PUBG for like two days now.” Sakura stressed her alarm of not seeing Mina play games by waving two fingers. “She only replied no. and you know how Mina is when she sends really dry and blunt messages.” Sakura scrunched her eyebrows. Out of the corner of Eunbi’s eye, she could see Chaewon frown at the mention of the couple. Turning her attention back to Sakura, “It’s not rare to see that couple fighting, I'm sure they’ll be all gross by tomorrow.” Sakura nodded in agreement

 

“Alright, well I’ll leave you two on your suspicious walk. I still have to find high heels for tonight's party!” Sakura once again brightly smiled and waved goodbye. Before she could pass them on the sidewalk she whispered to Chaewon. “Hang in there and don’t make any upset faces when Eunbi lectures you in a couple minutes. You know how she is, she's worse than Mina.” Chaewon dryly grinned as Sakura walked away.

 

Ten minutes later into their walk Eunbi paused Chaewon to take a seat on a green bench in a secluded area of a park. Chaewon had to hide a soured face as she was banking on the fact that if they had just continued to walk for half a kilometer longer she could have distracted Eunbi by offering to stop by an ice-cream stand. Maybe this would dissuade the older girl from the talk that was to come. A forceful huff from Eunbi’s throat interrupted the peaceful silence and this is how Chaewon knew she was about to receive one of Eunbi’s iconic “talks” Rather than a talk, it was more of a one-sided lecture or an interrogation almost. Something of the sorts parents give to their children when it's about time to describe what the “bees and the flowers” were. Chaewon hadn’t been on the receiving end of one of these in years since they started dating but the same knot swelling in her stomach was all but the same.  

 

“So…”

 

“Quit the small talk Eunbi, just get to the point.” Chaewon interrupted abruptly. Her intentions were not to be rude but only to help speed up the process so Eunbi didn’t need to mince with words.

 

Eunbi released a small chuckle knowing very well how the younger girl must have been feeling, after all, she was never a big fan of being the victim of one of these talks from the true master of the art, Myoui Mina.

 

 “What made your Yena go so crazy that night?” Eunbi calmly pushed her hands in her pocket and switched to a playful tone, “surely my dolt of an ex wasn’t trying so hard to force somebody in a relationship that person wasn’t ready for?” The small grin from Eunbi was confusing and Chaewon couldn’t tell if the older girl was being genuine in her concern for Yena or was she being satirical. 

 

Heaving a heavy-hearted sigh Chaewon answered truthfully, “I think it might be my fault for wanting to move things so quickly. It just seemed so simple...I mean there's no way she doesn’t like me?” Chaewon scornfully sank into the bench and stared at the trees above her, she began to doubt her own intuition.

 

This time, Eunbi let out a jeering sneer. Chaewon was further surprised as Eunbi childishly balanced her weight from one foot to the other as she lazily stood in front of the bench Chaewon was sitting on.

 

“You were always that type to rush into everything and anything head first.” Eunbi hummed. “It was attractive for a certain period of time but only that ” She emphasized. “To be honest with you Kim Chaewon.” Eunbi ruffled her heavy coat and took a seat next to Chaewon. 

 

The younger girl quickly adjusted her position to allow Eunbi more space. Digging her eyes straight into the soles of her shoes, Chaewon sat silently in deep thought over where she went wrong with Yena.

 

“Look at me when I talk.” Chaewon's heart skipped a beat as she felt Eunbi’s soft index finger tilt her chin up so that they were at face level. The moment they made eye contact Chaewon noticed the sincerity and warmth in Eunbi’s almonds eyes which was unsettling and creeping her out. She wasn’t used to seeing Eunbi act like this for a while.

 

“I think I was wrong about that Choi Yena girl.”

 

Chaewon bewilderedly stared back into Eunbi, unsure if she was hearing right. 

 

“She was the one who texted me the address and sent me to the ice-rink you guys were at.”

 

Chaewon her inner cheek unhappily. Usually, she would have stopped Eunbi from continuing any further in suspension she was lying, however, this was the only logical explanation. The only question left was why?

 

Reading Chaewon’s thoughts, Eunbi continued, “She didn’t give me a reason why I just assumed she wanted to settle the score finally or maybe wanted me to walk in and get jealous.” Eunbi shook her head, amused by her own flawed and initially childish reaction. “I realized though, that Yena girl, even though deep inside she knew she liked you she wanted so desperately for us to be together.”

 

Hearing Eunbi even confess that she could tell that Yena liked her back filled Chaewon with a tingle of thrill. The spark of hope and confidence she found in Eunbi’s explanation was short-lived as she listened on.

 

“At first, I thought even less of Yena because she wouldn’t fight for you. I reassured myself by her in-action that she wasn’t worthy of being with you and I was the one that fit the picture not her…” Eunbi slowly confessed, her eyes shifted sorrowfully as she belted out her true emotions. “I demonized her, and for a while, I hated she even existed. But then...that night at the ice rink. Something about her text messages, the way I saw her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter