Immature Parents Breed Sassy Children

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sliding into the booth of a small cafe next to the hospital, Mina held up her apple watch to see it was already six p.m. She closed her eyes and let the soft tune of the ambient piano play. Rest was rare these days as Yena started to get sicker and Chaewon refused to leave her apartment. Most of all, it wouldn’t stop damn snowing. Normally, Mina would take the winter break and the sight of fluffy snow lofting down to cuddle up with a book in Nayeon’s arms. But even that seemed like a luxury. Her moment of bliss is interrupted when the individual she was meeting takes a seat opposite to her with two cups of coffee.

 

“I'm sorry I called you so abruptly but you’ve been a big help for my sister and me and I have one small, final request.” Choi Sungmin said casually as he ushered her to accept the mug on the wooden table. Mina was having difficulty keeping her calm composure. Although reality stars, idols, and such never attracted the girl, sitting in front and having a conversation with a rising star was something she would have never imagined. 

 

“I don’t mind.” Smiling, she wiggled her hand, free of her oversized coat and shivered once she wrapped her fingers around the steaming cup of coffee. “Yena has been a great joy for the past few months.” 

 

Sungmin snickered and nodded his head slowly.

 

“She’s always been like that. No matter where she went, she always could leave everyone in the room with a smile.” The passion from his voice revealed how much he thought about his younger sister. “So, what is this request you needed?” 

 

“Oh, that's right.” Sungmin clapped his hand to recapture his train of thought. “You know how Mrs. Jo. left yesterday right?” Mina nodded, It was her and Nayeon who dropped Yuri’s family off at the airport so they could fly back home. 

 

“So, I have to fly to America tonight to attend shooting for another movie I am part of.” Sungmin paused as if he felt quite hesitant to continue. “Is there any way you can continue to monitor and take care of Yena while I'm gone?” 

 

Before Mina could say anything, Sungmin was already waving his hands apologetically. “I know it sounds horrible that a big brother is leaving his sister in the hospital but I can’t let this opportunity go and I have to pay for her medical bills and tuition somehow.” He laughed awkwardly before taking a sip of his coffee.

 

Mina could only smile. “Who said I wouldn’t continue helping Yena even if you didn’t offer?” Sungmin was caught off guard with Mina’s cheeky reply. He waved his coffee cup in acknowledgment. “I won’t be able to return to Korea for a couple of months but if there's an emergency I’ll be back as soon as possible.” Mina continued to nod pleased with the conversation. She frowned for a moment as a sudden thought came to her head. 

“If I may, can I ask you a question though?”

 

“Anything, sure.”

 

“Is there any particular reason, Yena’s parents won’t show up?” Sana was the first person who posed this question the other night when she came over to cheer up Chaewon.

 

Sungmin expression turned a little sour. “Well...it’s not that they won’t show up. It’s more like they can’t know what happened.” 

 

Mina’s eyebrows rose in confusion.

 

“All of Yena’s life. Our parents have been extremely strict and overprotective of her. I always felt so bad for when she was in middle school and high school as she never got to experience what it felt to live like a true kid and live out her youth. But when she graduated, her small friend group, Yuri’s parents, and I begged to let her attend Seoul University when she got accepted with the rest of them. My dad, in particular, is a pretty hard-headed man, but he allowed it eventually under the condition that Yena had to be in perfect health.” 

 

Mina was understanding the situation quite well now.

 

“If, there was any sign of Yena getting sick she was supposed to call our parents immediately and she would most likely have to drop out of the university. This is why I need you and everyone else to help.” Sungmin contented her by eye contact.

 

“I suppose we’re not getting paid are we?” Sungmin laughed, he took a sigh in relief thankful that Yena somehow had found great friends in college.

 

They both continued to converse for a while. Mina caught Sungmin up with various stories about Yena over the few months. She made no mention of Chaewon and Eunbi as there was no reason he needed to get involved. Eventually, Sungmin manager interrupted the two as it was time to head to the airport. Before they left though, Sungmin turned around to give Mina a 90-degree bow which caused some surprised glances from people in the coffee shop who recognized him. 

 

“I'm counting on you, Myoui Mina.” 

 

Mina would never admit this in her life, but her heart fluttered a little at Sungmin giving her a wild smile. She quickly slapped her cheek to wave off any other thoughts of it.

 

Thirty minutes later, Mina entered her house. She lazily kicked her shoes off into a corner, hung up her coat and crashed on the couch in the living room. Heaving a sigh, she pulled out her phone to check up on emails and messages. Her attention was sparked as she saw an attachment from Momo. Momo's area of specialty was being a biochemist researcher. Mina had called her the other day to collect some information about Lymphoma patients without giving any hints that it would trace back to Yena. Before she could read through anything Momo sent she heard soft footsteps above her from the staircase.

 

“Is that you, unnie?” 

 

“Yeah, I just got back.” Mina is bombarded with when their tiny puppy Kookeu jumped on her stomach.

 

“I brought back food for us. Nayeon said she’s swamped on campus for some business thingy stuff. I don’t pay attention, to be honest.” Chaewon was amused watching as Mina waved off her girlfriend's wear about with little care. “You feel better though?” Mina inspected the younger girl, Chaewon had looked quite funky for the past three days having to switch between wearing Nayeon and her clothes. Her complexion was brighter at least Mina noted. “More or less...I was pretty hungry all day.” Chaewon stomach grumbled as she spoke.

 

“You loser, here.” Mina quickly stood up to grab the bag of food on the kitchen counter and take it to the living room.

 

“I thought Nayeon said the rule was no food in the living room?” Chaewon remembered how Nayeon had made a big deal about “the number one rule” during the big sleepover. 

 

“Well guess who made that rule.” Mina pointed to herself as she crashed back onto the couch, fries in hand. “You get a special exception because I know you eat cleanly.” She finished before closing her eyes.

 

Chaewon shuffled awkwardly before scooting closer to Mina. The older girl opened one eye up knowing something was up.

 

“So, Mina unnie…” 

 

“Yes, my child?” 

 

“Child?!”

 

“You’re acting like one.” Mina reclosed both her eyes but waved her hand to signal she was still listening.

 

“Sit up for a second unnie.”

 

Mina heaved a large sigh before stretching and dragging herself up in a sitting position. “Yes, Chaewon?”

 

“I’d like to apollo-” Chaewon was caught off short by Mina clicking her tongue. “What did I say? You don’t have to apologize or say anything.” 

 

“But, still.” Chaewon shoulders slumped. It took her a lot of effort to get this far and she was already being shot down.

 

“I already told you, I know you didn’t mean anything you said or did in that apartment. Besides, I think you were already punished by it enough that day.”

 

Chaewon instinctively rubbed her cheek sourly.

 

“Is your arm okay though unnie?” 

 

Mina rolled up her sleeve to show the faint trace of a pinkish bruise. “No big deal see?” 

 

“You and Nayeon are both the same.”

 

“I’ll kick you out right now, child.” 

 

“Stop calling me child!” 

 

“You’ve been cradled between Nayeon and me for three nights. You are a child.” 

 

“That's not fair. I tried sleeping in the other room the second night but you insisted I slept in the room again.” 

 

“Can’t believe my daughter doesn’t want to sleep with us anymore” Mina faked a tear as she continued to berate Chaewon with the ongoing joke. “You’re so annoying” Chaewon gave up and grumbled under her breath.

 

They both heard the click of the front door unlocking and the sound of heavy footsteps.

 

“Mommy’s home.” Nayeon hollered as she entered the living room. She was dressed in a spiffy business jacket and pants. The same outfit Mina picked out for her that night. Nayeon took out her hair tie which allowed her lengthy hair to roam free all along her shoulder and backside. 

“Come here mommy” Nayeon bent over from the back of the couch to take in Mina’s welcome home kiss.

 

“Really” Chaewon groaned her disgust as she was decrusting her sandwich.

 

“Eat the crust, it’s good for you, child.” 

 

“Not you too please.” Chaewon was ready to leave this house and go back to her own. The couple ignored Chaewon’s complaints as Mina was already snuggled inside Nayeon’s arm as they caught up with each other about their days.

 

“Did Yena’s fever go back down?” Nayeon asked.

 

“Not really” The said girl sighed. “Director Song said she won’t be able to receive any visitors the day after we left.” 

 

“She didn’t respond to any of my text” Nayeon shrugged her head. “Poor girl must have been sleeping all day.”

 

Chaewon watched the conversation in silence. Her stomach did a 360 and the ham and cheese sandwich she just finished decrusting looked much more unappealing. Yena’s condition worsening was half the reason why Chaewon decided to stay at the house for the past three days. She knew staying at their house would be the quickest way to Yena once she got better. That and the fear of returning to the solitude that loomed being alone in her penthouse. 

 

“Who said you could stop eating.” Chaewon turned her attention to Nayeon and Mina staring at her closely. “When did you two become my parents?” Chaewon grumbled while taking a chomp of her sandwich to appease the couple. 

 

“She’s in her moody pre-teen stage and forgot all about the woman who gave birth to her.” Mina put the palm of her hand towards her forehead.

 

“You should have pursued acting instead of being a doctor.” Chaewon scuffed.

 

“You really think so!”

 

“No.”

 

“What should we do tonight?” Nayeon felt energized. 

 

Chaewon frowned, “Can’t we go see Yena just for a few minutes?” The poor girl would make any attempt to prevent third-wheeling tonight. “Patience Chaewon, wait till this weekend.” Mina scolded.

“Besides, it’s supposed to snow even heavier tonight.” Nayeon squinted her eyes across the room towards the window. Her focus is disrupted when she catches Chaewon brushing her knees as she was standing up. 

 

“I’m going back then” Chaewon scooped up Kookeu and dashed up the staircase. 

 

“We’re finishing the Harry Potter series if you want to come down” Mina rose her head to holler at the girl. 

 

Once Chaewon reached the guest bedroom she plopped face down into the pillow and laid silent. She remained in this position for a few minutes until she ran out of breath and turned her head. In the darkness, she saw the outline of her phone she neglected to open since she arrived at the house. The thought of Eunbi trying to contact her made her insides sink. Hesitantly, she reached over for her phone anyways and turned it on. She was surprised when a bombardment of kakaotalk notifications blinded her. Though they all dated two days ago, Chaewon rolled onto her backside and used her index finger to gently skim through her notifications. Hey, eyes bulged out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter