Fresh new meat

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 2 

 

Two years ago


"God Eunbi, is there anything else to do on this goddamn campus other than studying all night or getting drunk at parties?" Nayeon groaned, trudging through the campus in the afternoon cold.


Eunbi who was tucked tight under the hood of her fluffy sweater, softly replied, “Not that I know of."


Sophomores Eunbi and Nayeon had been roommates since freshman year. They got along pretty quickly as they had similar traits and shared a mutual love for dancing. Though, what sets them apart is that; Eunbi actually chose her passion for dance as her career, majoring in Contemporary Dance. Whereas; Nayeon opted to major in Business. As to why she did so, no one really knows. When asked, she just replied with; "I don't know, I often see business women as y and badass. A total femme fatale you know? Beauty and brains."


"You should even be thankful you got into one of the most prestigious Universities in South Korea. Not everyone can get in you know?" She remarked. 


Nayeon turned to face the wrapped up girl,


"I know, I know. And I am, I just need a bit of a drive, to get me going. You get me?"


"Yeah, I know what you mean."


The two girls proceeded to walk in silence while huddling up like two penguins in the Antarctic.


"Wait, what's going on over there?" Nayeon suddenly stopped and pointed to one of the academic building full of buzzing students outside socializing and most importantly, tables of hot chocolate.


Eunbi lifted her fluffy hoodie so she could study the scene better, "Oh, that’s the freshmen orientations," Eunbi does a double take. "for med students apparently.”


"How do you know that?"


"It's literally written on their varsity jackets Nayeon." Eunbi pointed to the backs of a group of students walking towards the building.


"Oh."


"Anyways, I need to go." Eunbi pointed her thumb towards the direction she now needed to go to.


A distraught Nayeon turned to block the girl, "Where?"


"To welcome our dance freshies."


"Can I come?" Nayeon pouted. 


"Why would you come to a musical arts department orientation?  You'd stick out like a sore thumb." Eunbi began to walk towards her building.


Nayeon hastily followed behind the girl, "Just give me one of your jackets."


"I don't think that'll work.” Eunbi gave Nayeon a pointed look.


"Why not?


"Because the other upperclassmen would probably start asking you questions, like why they haven't seen you before."


Nayeon stopped once again. "Tsk, you're no fun."


Eunbi sighed. "Wasn't here to have fun, besides don't you have to welcome your freshies in the business department too?"


“Yeah, but ours is at a different date. Are you really gonna leave me in this state?" Nayeon continued to guilt trip Eunbi.


"What state?" The girl chuckled. 


"Pure loneliness, despair, desperation. My mind, body and soul yearning for another presence that will-"


"Bye Nayeon." Eunbi quickly walked away before Nayeon could say any more bull.


"Well, then." Nayeon stopped and further observed the said group of medical students from afar.


“If Eunbi won't help me have fun then I'm gonna have to find some fun by myself,” Nayeon mumbled to herself as she made her way towards the unsuspecting new students. Scanning the surroundings for fresh new meat.


But as she tried to walk like a diva, she unceremoniously tripped on an inconveniently placed garden hoe. Fortunately for her, everyone seemed to be busy minding their own business and hadn’t noticed. Well, except one person.


“.....”


The girl stared at her, contemplating whether to help her up or not, but decided against it.


“Aren't you gonna ask if I'm okay?” Nayeon asked the spectating red-haired student.


“No, I don't feel pity for es.” The girl spat in a soft and calm voice.


“Woah there, you can’t be calling someone you just met a .” Nayeon shook off the back of her legs as she stood up.


“I do what I want.”


“Excuse me? I'll have you know that-”


“Is everything okay here?” A supervising senior who also caught whim of the fall walked up to them to make sure everything was fine.


“Yes,sunbaenim.” The red-haired girl does a formal bow.


“Alright, if you say so.” The supervisor acknowledged and turned to look at Nayeon.


“And you, why aren't you wearing your jacket? Did they not issue you one?” The unsuspecting senior asked.


Amidst her sore and damaged ego, a brilliant idea brewed in her brain. “No sunbaenim, I hadn't gotten the memo and couldn't find the person who was in charge of giving out jackets.”


“Oh, well, that's no problem."


The supervisor turned and gestured to the red-haired. “Myoui, can you help her get her jacket from Eunji? I gotta go take care of things first.”


“Sure thing, sunbae.” Myoui acknowledged, but not before making a small sigh under her breath that went unnoticed.


He turned to Nayeon. “What was your name again? I haven't seen you at all this morning, were you late?”


“Im Nayeon. And yes sunbae I apologize, the campus is so big that I got lost.” Nayeon lied through her teeth, internally celebrating that they were buying her act.


The supervisor, content with her answer, gestured to her companion. “Okay, go with Myoui. I’ll see you guys later.”


The two students quickly performed one last small formal bow and the supervisor walked away.


Nayeon looked at who she assumed was Myoui the moment the supervisor was out of eyesight.


“Well?” Nayeon waited.


“Follow me.” Myoui rolled her eyes and began to walk towards the building.


They went to get Nayeon's jacket and headed inside one of the campus theaters where the orientation will take place. Nayeon, praying that no one would recognize her, stuck close to Mina as they made their way to a row of seats on the far left.


Nayeon heaved a sigh of relief as they sat down. She praised herself for being able to keep up such an act. She turned her attention to Myoui who sat, uninterested, next to her.


“Anyway, my name's Im Nayeon. I’m not really a freshman.” Nayeon stuck out her hand for a handshake.


“I know.” Myoui said softly, not even sparing a glance at the older girl's outstretched hand. 


“Wait, what? You knew I was your senior but you still talked to me like that?” Nayeon accused.


Mina shrugged.


“How and when did you know, though? And why didn't you say anything when that senior was talking to me?


“I've heard about you, you've got quite a reputation. Miss Im Nayeon of the Business Economics department.” Myoui emphasized the word 'reputation' as if she knew all about Nayeon's random antics throughout the previous

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter